we're going the sugar bowl

blacklab

34 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I thought it was really being driven by Mexicans.

In what sense? Are Mexican tourists going to New Orleans and spending so much money it is driving their economy? Are Mexicans supplying huge amounts of rideshare drivers to help streamline the transportation system?

24 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

In what sense? Are Mexican tourists going to New Orleans and spending so much money it is driving their economy? Are Mexicans supplying huge amounts of rideshare drivers to help streamline the transportation system?

Mexicans and Mexican americans have moved in in relatively large numbers and are moving in on doubling their population percentage since katrina.  I was making a bit of a joke, but thought that was common knowledge.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/hurricane-katrina-anniversary/10-years-after-katrina-defined-latino-presence-new-orleans-n417026

https://www.nola.com/katrina/index.ssf/2015/08/katrina_latino_immigrant_new_o.html

An estimated 100,000 Hispanics came to metro New Orleans in the months after the storm, and many have joined Alvarado in putting down stakes in the region. While the population of the region as a whole remains at about 80 percent of pre-Katrina levels, the Latino population has nearly doubled since the storm.

1 hour ago, Footballpants said:

This is a really bad take. Have you been to NOLA lately? The city is experiencing a post-Katrina renaissance driven by small business and a "creative" economy.

There are tons of new shops, galleries, restaurants, coffee bars, yoga studios, and on and on. The city is attracting tech and environmental start-ups (unheard of before Katrina) as a result of a concerted effort by Tulane and Idea Village to do so.

I live in Austin, but travel to the Big Easy, at least 4 time a year to visit friends and family and fish. Look the city has its warts, crime and poverty through the roof (as was the case pte-Katrina), but trust me the city is hopping and you should probably reevaluate things if you cant have a great time down there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Please highlight in my post where I said it's a bad city. Just said if you hadn't been before Katrina, that sucks because, well, pre Katrina NO was an awesome city. Still a great city now, just not the same. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn Fever said:

Well, he did say he ate at places better. Maybe it was Emerald's.

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Emeralds?

lol come on mayne

Lulz I don't know what I was thinking trying to name the snazzyest restaurant I've been to there thinking it would hit home with the Surly 1%ers but in typical Surly fashion, swing and a miss. 

I still stand behind that comment tho. Ain't no cajun food like home cooked cajun food. 

Well, I member being flat broke down in NO, and this comes to mind:

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train
When I's feelin' near as faded as my jeans
Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained
And rode us all the way into New Orleans

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandana
I's playin' soft while Bobby sang the blues
Windshield wipers slappin' time
I's holdin' Bobby's hand in mine
We sang every song that driver knew

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', it ain't nothin' honey, if it ain't free
And feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues
You know feelin' good was good enough for me
Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee

Thanks Kris.

Read more:  Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby Mcgee Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

• Like 1

Just got my tickets from the CFP reservation. Section 128. Was hoping for a better section but I'm in row 17/30 (apparently the section starts at 13 so we're like 4 rows back)* and right on the aisle so can't complain too much. Will be a good view of one end-zone and a shitty view of the other one. Will likely be a healthy mix of Dawgs fans as it's right in the EZ. 

They would be $290 a pop on vivid seats right now and all told I paid about $260 each.

Neat concept they have going, but ended up basically being a wash. Still better than what the LHF has been doing, but waiting just before kick will give a better deal I assume. 

Edited by ztejas

On 12/14/2018 at 6:22 PM, ztejas said:

Just got my tickets from the CFP reservation. Section 128. Was hoping for a better section but I'm in row 17/30 (apparently the section starts at 13 so we're like 4 rows back)* and right on the aisle so can't complain too much. Will be a good view of one end-zone and a shitty view of the other one. Will likely be a healthy mix of Dawgs fans as it's right in the EZ. 

They would be $290 a pop on vivid seats right now and all told I paid about $260 each.

Neat concept they have going, but ended up basically being a wash. Still better than what the LHF has been doing, but waiting just before kick will give a better deal I assume. 

you can buy section 128 for $234 after fees on stubhub right now. probably can find for under $100 day of game.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 4:43 PM, BigHorn'13 said:

Please highlight in my post where I said it's a bad city. Just said if you hadn't been before Katrina, that sucks because, well, pre Katrina NO was an awesome city. Still a great city now, just not the same. 

Lulz I don't know what I was thinking trying to name the snazzyest restaurant I've been to there thinking it would hit home with the Surly 1%ers but in typical Surly fashion, swing and a miss. 

I still stand behind that comment tho. Ain't no cajun food like home cooked cajun food. 

Dude, NOLA isn't known for Cajun, it's mostly Creole there.

For Cajun think, Maurice, Abbeville, New Iberia, Houma, Lafayette, Boutte, etc.

49 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

TFB tweeted out about a couple of injuries in Friday's practice.

Not good news for the long term.

After Friday’s practice, there emerged two injured freshmen.

DT Moro Ojomo sustained a lower-body injury (leg/ankle). According to a source, it was so bad that they had to take him to the hospital. We’ll keep you updated on whether or not it is as serious as it sounds, but for a guy who needs the Spring, this is no bueno.

WR Al’Vonte Woodard broke his collarbone during a collision. No word on the severity of the injury, but he also needed these extra bowl practices and workouts.

6 hours ago, Machinator said:

Not good news for the long term.

Hide contents

After Friday’s practice, there emerged two injured freshmen.

DT Moro Ojomo sustained a lower-body injury (leg/ankle). According to a source, it was so bad that they had to take him to the hospital. We’ll keep you updated on whether or not it is as serious as it sounds, but for a guy who needs the Spring, this is no bueno.

WR Al’Vonte Woodard broke his collarbone during a collision. No word on the severity of the injury, but he also needed these extra bowl practices and workouts.

Fuck. That really sucks about Ojomo. Hope it isn't as serious as feared and that he gets well soon, even if he misses the bowl. We are so dangerously thin at DT, just can't afford to get behind schedule on development at that position.

On December 14, 2018 at 7:06 PM, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, I member being flat broke down in NO, and this comes to mind:

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waitin' for a train
When I's feelin' near as faded as my jeans
Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained
And rode us all the way into New Orleans

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandana
I's playin' soft while Bobby sang the blues
Windshield wipers slappin' time
I's holdin' Bobby's hand in mine
We sang every song that driver knew

Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose
Nothin', it ain't nothin' honey, if it ain't free
And feelin' good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues
You know feelin' good was good enough for me
Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee

Thanks Kris.

Read more:  Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby Mcgee Lyrics | MetroLyrics 

I always like the Dead's version best. The instrumentation is more plaintive and emotional, imo.

The Dead also gave us these lyrics, based on a true story:

Sittin' and starin' out of the hotel window 
Got a tip they're gonna kick the door in again
I'd like to get some sleep before I travel
But if you got a warrant, I guess you're gonna come in

Busted, down on Bourbon Street
Set up, like a bowlin' pin
Knocked down,  it gets to wearin' thin
They just won't let you be

Read more: https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/the-grateful-dead-were-busted-for-drugs-in-new-orleans-on-this-day-in-1970/

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I always like the Dead's version best. The instrumentation is more plaintive and emotional, imo.

Kris Kristofferson wrote it, and I like it best when he plays it himself.  He was never a great singer, but what a fantastic songwriter.

Here's another country/NOLA song from another of my favorite songwriters:

I knew a man, Bojangles and he danced for you
In worn out shoes
Silver hair, a ragged shirt and baggy pants
The old soft shoe
He jumped so high
He jumped so high
Then he'd lightly touch down

I met him in a cell in New Orleans, I was
Down and out
He looked to me to be the eyes of age
As he spoke right out
He talked of life
He talked of life
He laughed, clicked his heels and stepped
He said his name, Bojangles and he danced a lick
Across the cell
He grabbed his pants, a better stance
Oh, he jumped so high
Then he clicked his heels
He let go a laugh
He let go a laugh
Pushed back his clothes all around

Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles
Dance

He danced for those in minstrel shows and county fairs
Throughout the south
He spoke with tears of fifteen years how his dog and him
Traveled about
The dog up and died
He up and died
After twenty years he still grieves
He said I dance now at every chance in honky tonks
For drinks and tips
But most the time I spend behind these county bars
He said I drinks a bit
He shook his head
And as he shook his head
I heard someone ask him please

Please
Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles
Mr. Bojangles
Dance

• Like 2

More from TFB

Coaches Meet With Freshman Class
– Will Baizer

After the unexpected departure of freshman defensive lineman Michael Williams and unrest in the quarterback room, the Longhorns’ staff has decided to be proactive and call a town hall meeting for the freshmen class.

It was a chance for the freshmen to air their thoughts on the program and any issues they have with staff, playing time, and/or promises they felt were not held up.

This has happened before, so there isn’t much reason to panic.

(before anyone asks about the QB piece, there's been rumors Casey Thompson might be a bit grumpy re: where he is in the pecking order)

Edited by texifornia

It's like the moron Georgia fans have forgotten they gave up 36 to LSU and 29 to Mizzou even getting 3 turnovers.  They were well on their way to giving up 40 to MU otherwise.  Most of the offenses on their schedule this year are either one dimensional (e.g. UK), talent poor (i.e. 3 cupcake OOCs) or both.

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

UT’s best win was Iowa state? WTF?

It's the denial reflex of the bigot homer.  They dismiss handing OU its only loss as "a win in a rival game earlier in the season."  If they told the truth, they'd be forced to admit it's better than any win on their schedule.

IT team updates

- Moro Ojomo: It's a high-ankle sprain and a likely broken foot. The X-rays have not come back yet due to swelling. I think they'll find out today or tomorrow. He was in a ton of pain but this could be something that looked and sounded worse than it was. He was in a lot of pain. 

- The team has today off but will practice every day the rest of the week, including Saturday morning.

- With the staff on the recruiting trail they let the players be college students for the last couple of weeks with only limited football obligations but now things are back to business. Like we said, practices were not intensive and the players had a lot of freedom. Now there's a curfew.

- They'll begin to actually focus on Georgia. To this point I've barely even heard the Bulldogs mentioned.

- After practice on Saturday the players will be able to go home for Christmas before returning to campus on Wednesday the 26th. They leave for NOLA on the 27th.

- I should have some interesting stuff later in the week as the team has real practices.

14 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Dead also gave us these lyrics, based on a true story:

Sittin' and starin' out of the hotel window 
Got a tip they're gonna kick the door in again
I'd like to get some sleep before I travel
But if you got a warrant, I guess you're gonna come in

Busted, down on Bourbon Street
Set up, like a bowlin' pin
Knocked down,  it gets to wearin' thin
They just won't let you be

Read more: https://liveforlivemusic.com/features/the-grateful-dead-were-busted-for-drugs-in-new-orleans-on-this-day-in-1970/

"I'd like to get some sleep before I travel
But if you got a warrant, I guess you're gonna come in."

One of the best lyrics ever written. 

20 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Look, I love Sam, but this is Texas and he hasn't won shit yet. Slowdown folks.

Fair enough, but after 5 years of absolute shit football, I think that all of the statements are valid.

It takes someone like Sam to make the football good again.  And I am damn glad he came along.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Look, I love Sam, but this is Texas and he hasn't won shit yet. Slowdown folks.

First of all, thank you for your service. I appreciate that you served for this country that I love. 

Sam is completing the best and more importantly, the most meaningful season as a Texas QB since Colt McCoy in 2009. Even more important than his performance on the field is how he is influencing the culture to take us from being used to losing to winning. This off-season, if players dare to slack off, they will have to answer to him. That's why he won the job in the first place and that is a HUGE win for us. 

• Like 1