we're going the sugar bowl

blacklab

9 hours ago, 3shot said:

This.  Has to be the same person.  

Yes. It's one of my 17 sock accounts. I'm actually every poster on this board except for you. I sit in a dark room with Rocko, vyismyhero, schmitty and Derka and all we do is post here all day. Hate to break it to you.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Guitarman said:

I'm gonna try the WW2 museum. Anyone been? I tried a few months back and it was about to close so I passed on the $60 fee. What I saw looked great though. Hope it's open Jan 1.

Yes - it's amazing. 

You could spend a whole day there easily.

10 hours ago, jinx said:

Are you one of the brave souls that go outside of the French Quarter?  I'm curious how many times all of the "greatest city" crowds have been to New Orleans.  I go to NOLA all of the time.  I have coworkers that live there.  They let me know which areas are safe to be in after dark.  Louisiana in general is a very poor state that seems stuck in the 1900s.  New Orleans after Katrina has never recovered and large portions still look like a war zone.  

Downtown is historic and can be a nice experience.  The north side near Ponchatrain is pretty nice too.  The rest of NOLA is disgusting at best and dangerous at worst.  

Can confirm. Although these guys were my frat bros so they were dumb, lost and wasted. One got a gun pulled on him and had to give over wallet/watch/cell phone while he was with his girl. Another got scooped into a van where they took all his shit and dropped him off somewhere without anything. This happened in the 2007-2009 range.

So don't go walkin' around in the areas outside of Bourbon street where it turns into a ghost town.

WW2 museum is great.

The New Orleans Pharmacy museum is small, but also kind of cool.  It's in the Quarter on Chartres.  I went there for a special event (cousin in-law lives in New Orleans and had the wedding reception there) and a tour was part of the event, so I'm not sure how to access it on a "normal" day but it was fun. 

16 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

So wait, we cant walk around Frenchman, Bywater, Uptown, Garden District, CBD, or Warehouse districts?

you mean walk around all the places where tourists walk around? of course you can.

i am staying in marlyville neighborhood. looks pretty decent. but i won't be walking around there.

Edited by po elvis

Its pathetic how thousands of people go there every year and very few make it off bourbon street/out of the french quarter
Mayhap the everyday residents of N.O. don't want those stupid fucks wandering all over the city bothering normal folks and fucking shit up.

Maybe it's a good thing fucking tourists stay in the quarter.

I know it's a good thing fucking tourists stay in the attractions and idrive areas here in central florida so I don't have to interact with those simple people of the land every fucking day.

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

WW2 museum is great.

The New Orleans Pharmacy museum is small, but also kind of cool.  It's in the Quarter on Chartres.  I went there for a special event (cousin in-law lives in New Orleans and had the wedding reception there) and a tour was part of the event, so I'm not sure how to access it on a "normal" day but it was fun. 

Aquarium is dope. Zoo is great. St. Louis Cathedral is cool. Second on WW2 museum.

Voodoo museum is very cool and can be done in a couple of hours (prob less than that tbh). Just don't bring your fundamentalist Christian family members. In a neat part of the city, too.

Obviously Cafe du Monde if you've never been.

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Aquarium is dope. Zoo is great. St. Louis Cathedral is cool. Second on WW2 museum.

Voodoo museum is very cool and can be done in a couple of hours (prob less than that tbh). Just don't bring your fundamentalist Christian family members. In a neat part of the city, too.

Obviously Cafe du Monde if you've never been.

+ Port of Call for burgers

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, BERT said:

I was there this past weekend for a wedding. We had to ride a bus to the plantation and got to see the 9th Ward up close. I thought that was pretty cool /csb

Done the same thing. Passed by some of the Katrina war-zones. Talk about making your stomach drop. That city will never be the same, unfortunately. 

neighborhood-mobile-map-v21.jpg

From last time, everything in FQ down through Arts District, and then the area along the trolley past the colleges (on this map, uptownish -- I think the schools and zoo are in Audobon) seemed fine.

Achafalaya Cafe in lower Garden District seems typical.  Great place, fine to walk from there through the rest of the Garden District, but as I recall gets sketchy fast on the edge away form the rest of the Garden District. 

Lotta scared olds on this thread.

Lower Ninth Ward is in fact still a mess. More vacant lots than anything. Rest of the city is like any other - some parts are safer than others, but generally, don't start no shit won't be no shit. Mid City, Treme, Bywater, Marginy have all been through/are in the midst of gentrification, so you'd generally have to walk prerty far from CBD/FQ to get yourself into a really crime heavy neighborhood. Go northwest of the Superdome across I-10 and you're not in the best neighborhood, but it's not West Baltimore.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Lotta scared olds on this thread.

Lower Ninth Ward is in fact still a mess. More vacant lots than anything. Rest of the city is like any other - some parts are safer than others, but generally, don't start no shit won't be no shit. Mid City, Treme, Bywater, Marginy have all been through/are in the midst of gentrification, so you'd generally have to walk prerty far from CBD/FQ to get yourself into a really crime heavy neighborhood. Go northwest of the Superdome across I-10 and you're not in the best neighborhood, but it's not West Baltimore.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I’m ultimately just not willing to pay what the FQ is yielding. Booked a damn nice, highly rated place in Metairie with a swim up heated pool bar for less than $300 for 2 nights. I’m satisfied. Still bothered by $320 for two seats in 620 but whatever. Hook em. 

So wait, we cant walk around Frenchman, Bywater, Uptown, Garden District, CBD, or Warehouse districts?

People that bitch about NOLA are the ones that never leave the quarter then say the quarter is fine but not the rest of the city.

Except Metarie That is a shitty Plano close to NOLA

• Like 2

3 hours ago, troph said:

Can we get back to ticket talk? I’m gonna need 4-5 and not need a mortgage loan to finance the tickets... prices seem stable but maybe dropping? What’s the thought here? Still expecting a drop near the end of the year?

my goal is about $40 a piece after stubhub fees. but i'm buying within the hour outside the stadium.

• Like 1

my goal is about $40 a piece after stubhub fees. but i'm buying within the hour outside the stadium.

I’m hoping for sub 100 day of or day before but not outside the stadium - not sure my three young boys can handle the uncertainty of your strategy. Not sure if it will work but I’ll be damned if I’m paying $1500-2000 for ok seats for a crew of 5.

9 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

I’m ultimately just not willing to pay what the FQ is yielding. Booked a damn nice, highly rated place in Metairie with a swim up heated pool bar for less than $300 for 2 nights. I’m satisfied. Still bothered by $320 for two seats in 620 but whatever. Hook em. 

Where's this place? You can PM me if you'd rather. We booked a place in Mid-City but after doing a little research it looks like it's ranked as 166 of 170. Not good. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluto said:

WW2 museum is $30 and damn well worth it, incredible stuff 

Just FYI, since I already made my "old dude scared of New Orleans" post.  The only issue with the WW2 museum is that once you get off the main floor, the exhibit spaces get pretty narrow.  Like anything else, try not go when it's jammed. 

One of my aunts went to Loyola in the '80s. (She's only five years older than me, so she's more like a sister.) So I was visiting her there one time in around 1984 and the fucking NOPD pretty much went on strike, and said so. Holding out for higher pay. Imagine NOLA as it is. Now imagine NOLA with the police having announced they would be slacking off. It was fucking Gulf Coast Road Warrior shit. One night my aunt went in a Circle K and there were about five of them in there huddled around a Punch Out console, hooping it up with Icees (probably spiked) in their hands.

She was hot and sassy so she confronted them. "What the hell are y'all doing? Aren't y'all supposed to be out there protecting us?" 

"Aw honey," one of the cops said. "We dun run all da crahm outta N'Awlins awready." 

And they all busted out laughing. And that same night every car on my aunt's street had its windows bashed in and burgled. 

Another story -- a few years later, freshman year at UT, I got lost from my group and fell in with some cool randos and ended up crashing at their place. About 6 AM one of their friends comes staggering in, crying. Her story ended pretty well for her. She went careening down some backstreet sideswiping every car on either side and got pulled over, drunk as a skunk.

The cop says, "Number one, you remind me of my daughter. Number two, it's Mardi Gras night. Any other day and I'd have hauled you in. Now go home."

It's not really America there. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 1

Page bringing back memories of my first NOLA trip. Actually hooked up with some dudes in the bar at the Columns hotel, I was visiting my sister back in early 90s and she lived near there, they found out it was my first trip and took me around. Ended up in line at Tipitina's, I think, as the sun came up.

Anyway these random locals I hooked up with took me around in their convertible Mustang GT. At one point we are flying down St. Charles, top down, drinking roadies, going like 80, running multiple reds, and we get pulled over. I'm shitting myself, it was a few days before Christmas and I'm going to have to get bailed out of jail my first day in NOLA. But these local dudes don't give any fucks about getting pulled over, and the driver casually hands a business card to the cop.

Cop comes back, tells us to slow down and be careful and gives driver his card back, but it has a staple in it. Cop leaves and I'm like, "Nice get out of jail free card (had somebody from the DA's office on it)! But what's with the staple?"

Driver says, "You get 5 staples."

Reminded me of being in Juarez.

21 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's not really America there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GringoSalado said:

Page bringing back memories of my first NOLA trip. Actually hooked up with some dudes in the bar at the Columns hotel, I was visiting my sister back in early 90s and she lived near there, they found out it was my first trip and took me around. Ended up in line at Tipitina's, I think, as the sun came up.

Anyway these random locals I hooked up with took me around in their convertible Mustang GT. At one point we are flying down St. Charles, top down, drinking roadies, going like 80, running multiple reds, and we get pulled over. I'm shitting myself, it was a few days before Christmas and I'm going to have to get bailed out of jail my first day in NOLA. But these local dudes don't give any fucks about getting pulled over, and the driver casually hands a business card to the cop.

Cop comes back, tells us to slow down and be careful and gives driver his card back, but it has a staple in it. Cop leaves and I'm like, "Nice get out of jail free card (had somebody from the DA's office on it)! But what's with the staple?"

Driver says, "You get 5 staples."

Reminded me of being in Juarez.

I'm not going to make some stupid gay joke but it's funny how the meaning of "hooked up" has changed between generations. I have a family friend that just moved to Dallas and my step-dad asked me if we had "hooked up" since she moved there. I quickly realized, in my terms, he meant had we "connected" or "hung out".

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

I’m hoping for sub 100 day of or day before but not outside the stadium - not sure my three young boys can handle the uncertainty of your strategy. Not sure if it will work but I’ll be damned if I’m paying $1500-2000 for ok seats for a crew of 5.

I'm holding out for better deals on better seats too, but it's worth mentioning that mezzanine tickets at face value are still available through the athletics department even for non-donors.  

NO hasn't been the same since Katrina. It's still a great city and I've got people who still live there (albeit in all these "war zones" being discussed) but I feel sorry for the people who didn't go before the hurricane. Really fun city if you know people and the food is exceptional.

But honestly, the best food I ate there came from people's kitchens and that was even after going to places like Emerald's.

• Like 1

NO hasn't been the same since Katrina. It's still a great city and I've got people who still live there (albeit in all these "war zones" being discussed) but I feel sorry for the people who didn't go before the hurricane. Really fun city if you know people and the food is exceptional.
But honestly, the best food I ate there came from people's kitchens and that was even after going to places like Emerald's.
This is a really bad take. Have you been to NOLA lately? The city is experiencing a post-Katrina renaissance driven by small business and a "creative" economy.

There are tons of new shops, galleries, restaurants, coffee bars, yoga studios, and on and on. The city is attracting tech and environmental start-ups (unheard of before Katrina) as a result of a concerted effort by Tulane and Idea Village to do so.

I live in Austin, but travel to the Big Easy, at least 4 time a year to visit friends and family and fish. Look the city has its warts, crime and poverty through the roof (as was the case pte-Katrina), but trust me the city is hopping and you should probably reevaluate things if you cant have a great time down there.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 3