Appliances

Pancho

Building a new house.   The major appliances I’m tasked with getting on my own are:

- fridge

- washer/dryer

I think I’ve narrowed all 3 down to either LG or Samsung, but I wanted to get some feedback on the thoughts of both of those brands for these appliances.  

Should I be doing a “not so fast my friend” on Whirlpool and GE? 

Depends what you’re looking for and what you’re trying to do. We’re remodeling a house and just looked at a full load of appliances for the kitchen.

I would look around quick because a lot of vendors are having rebates that end 12/31. And some of those rebates exclude buying at places like HD and Lowe’s.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Not a fan of samsung washers and dryers. Owned a set and had multiple problems with both way too early in their life cycle.

I have had whirlpool kitchen appliances for 9 years and not a single issue with any of them.

Whirlpool, Kenmore, GE all pretty decent track records

bought this for our house this past summer:

https://www.sears.com/kenmore-4651115-25-cu-ft-side-by-side/p-A013701578

didn't buy any extended warranties because sears

It has awesome lighting, LED.  not a lot of bells and whistles but it is functional with a good price.

also bought this for a rental this past summer:

https://www.sears.com/kenmore-24inch-built-in-dishwasher-w-ultra-wash-174/p-02213093000P

We've had luck buying from sears and even the sears outlet over the years.  Your experience may vary of course.

Building a new house.   The major appliances I’m tasked with getting on my own are:
- fridge
- washer/dryer

I think I’ve narrowed all 3 down to either LG or Samsung, but I wanted to get some feedback on the thoughts of both of those brands for these appliances.  
Should I be doing a “not so fast my friend” on Whirlpool and GE? 

What brand appliances are you getting for your cooktop,oven,microwave and dishwasher? Why not have your builder add the fridge so everything matches?

Fwiw, I'm looking to replace my Bosch appliances - DW, fridge and range. I actually already swapped a Samsung fridge because the Bosch was so shitty and we needed a quick solve that was cheaper so we can evaluate longer term remodel option. Our Bosch stuff is only about 5 years old (installed before we bought the house) but it's all pretty mediocre. We will ideally have Miele or sub zero and Viking (oh, did I mention I'm also planning to win the lottery to fund my remodel). Have heard some good things about KitchenAid appliances. 

Anecdotal aside, we have a foodie friend who just spent $40k to do a double wide fridge and crazy ass Viking ovens and top/hood and they hate it. Fridge sounds like a freight train and the ovens raise the room temp in the kitchen by about 15 degrees whenever they fire up more than a few stations. Moral: unintended consequences can be expensive. 

Whirlpool and GE make good products. But as with anything you can have isolated issues. I have installed quite a few GE & Whirlpool products without many issues. You just have to decide which price point you want.

GE —> Profile —> Monogram

Whirlpool —> Kitchenaid

Bosch —> Thermador —> Gaggenau

Our GE Monogram cooktop oven and microwave have been excellent. 

Whirlpool/kitchenaid fridge and dw also excellent although I do not love the French door fridge and drawer freezer. Side by side from here on in. 

8 years in. 

Also using mom n dads nearly 40 year old Whirlpool w/d.  Wife wanted to replace with front loading Asian dogshit that I rarely read anything good about. Not going to happen. 

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, milkman said:

What brand appliances are you getting for your cooktop,oven,microwave and dishwasher? Why not have your builder add the fridge so everything matches?

I've already been given the max by the builder (that they don't even do anymore and I was one of the last in the country to get this offer) to spend at the design center, and they threw in the double oven, range, and dishwasher for free. 

they'd laugh in my face if i asked them to throw in a fridge. 

(but I asked anyway)

I've already been given the max by the builder (that they don't even do anymore and I was one of the last in the country to get this offer) to spend at the design center, and they threw in the double oven, range, and dishwasher for free. 
they'd laugh in my face if i asked them to throw in a fridge. 
(but I asked anyway)

Nothing is free! Those design centers are high profit margin centers for the builders. Find out which appliances package you selected and go to one of the big box stores and order the fridge that matches.

GE is utter trash.  Every single appliance -- gas cooktop, dishwasher, refrigerator, oven, and microwave needed major repairs within one year of our house being built.  This is the Cafe series, which is at or maybe a bit above their Profile series, mostly a different style.  Our builder got so pissed at the dishwasher problems he just bought us a new one.

Our LG front-load washer/dryer seem more rugged than 2 prior sets of Whirlpool Duets we've had (dating 2003-2015).  Might be too soon to tell.

Modern appliances suck ass.  They are built to break.  Almost any repairman will confirm.

Stay a fricken mile and half away from Samsung.  I bought a package deal at Home Depot for a top loading washer and dryer and both have been repaired more than once in four years.  The dryer just had the motor replaced for the second time.  It was under warranty,  but damn waiting for the warranty service company to come over and diagnose the problem and then waiting on them to get a part just sucks while laundry for four people including two stinky kids piles up and you have to go to the in laws to do laundry. 

My refrigerator and dishwasher are champs.   I bought them  in 2005 when we built our home and they are Kenmore brand which I think is made by Kitchen Aid.  Other than an issue a few years ago with the ice maker and a  factory recall on the dishwasher circuit a year or so after we bought it, they have both done well.   Now that I said that, they will probably break down and say replace me in 2019.  LOL. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

I have owned a Samsung dishwasher, multiple TVs and clothes washer/dryer.  Won't ever buy another thing from Samsung except for phones.  Their shit just doesn't work all that well and when it breaks, you usually need to just replace it vs. get it fixed.  My 3 year old TV took a shit yesterday.  Googled the problem and it's widespread but Samsung won't do shit to fix it.  So I bought an LG at Costco last night.  The dishwasher never broke but it just didn't work all that well.

I just remodeled last year and did Jenn Air appliances.  They are really good so far and worth checking out.

Just did this myself...

I have a whirlpool fingerprint resistant black stainless kitchen set.. gas stove and oven. So far so good. Microwave and dishwasher are quiet which is nice.

We built a 2 story with upstairs laundry.. initially bought GE front loads with half a pedestal..garbage. the washer knob was broken before the first use and the drum bearing basically was shot after the 2nd. Changed to a top loader whirlpool with no agitator. Cleans just as efficient without the front loader problems (unloading into dryer I felt like I was dragging clothes out that would fall onto the ground). Hated front load.

Also it's a hard spin cycle so it needs pretty much cement reinforcement foundation to prevent it from shaking the entire house.

Whirlpool imo is the best bang for the buck. Other reputable brands seem to be higher in price with more cleaning options you'll never use.

Samsung has a terrible reputation for appliances. I hate LG because they play some stupid little song for timers etc. LG dishwasher also died after 5 years.

Our KitchenAid/Whirlpool fridge has been great so far and the Whirlpool we had previously was also rock solid. Replaced an LG dishwasher with KitchenAid last year. Our LG range is fine, but I wouldn't buy it again. Whirlpool washer and dryer are 10 years old with no issues so far.

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Samsung and LG are trash

This.  Not bad smart phones, but our LG Washer/Dryers have been nothing but trouble.  The bearings in the washer are toast now, and we are waiting to see how long it will go before it dies.  It's as noisy as a jet landing in our house, but still functional.  9 years old.  Paid as much on repairs as we initially paid at this point.  No more.

Welp, the LCD screen on our replacement GE Cafe Series dishwasher went out last night.  So, that's 2 dishwashers in 4 years, along with the microwave, the oven, the refrigerator, and did I mention the knobs on the cooktop have all broken at least once?

Fuck GE.

Haven’t seen mentioned yet but we bought a budget friendly Kenmore Elite stainless fridge/dishwasher/gas stove set several years ago and no complaints.

Our Samsung washer rusted all over inside which was weird. Our Kenmore dryer has never given us any trouble.

New house has Sub-Zero, Dacor, Bosch so we’ll see how they hold up. The counter-depth sub z isn’t very spacious.

On 4/11/2019 at 9:02 PM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Whirlpool and it is because of how low the tech is in them. Sometimes being dumb is smart.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/bid/86332/the-least-serviced-most-reliable-appliance-brands

Im starting to believe in this..a lot. We have all whirlpool and my only complaint is our ice/water dispenser is a pain in the but because its too smart.  Our last whirlpool fridge had a slot for your water and slot for your ice...no buttons besides crushed or cubed ice.

this fridge thats 10 years newer has only one slot and you need to push a button for ice or water. and some other buttons that havent been touched because theyre pointless

3 minutes ago, Okie State said:

A requirement for my most recent fridge purchase was no ice/water dispenser in the door. They always break.

Yep, me too.  It's actually hard to find a high end Fridge that doesn't have one.  Eventually settled on a GE and are very happy with it.

As for Samsung, we went with them for the Dishwasher, microwave, and range.  It's only been a year but I'm very happy, particularly with the range.  It's badass.

Yep, me too.  It's actually hard to find a high end Fridge that doesn't have one.  Eventually settled on a GE and are very happy with it.
As for Samsung, we went with them for the Dishwasher, microwave, and range.  It's only been a year but I'm very happy, particularly with the range.  It's badass.

We went with KitchenAid and it has been awesome. Got it for a steal at a Sears Outlet.

It's a Whirlpool underneath and when I was looking there was an identical version for both Bosch and JennAir as well. I would have bought any of the three.
  • Like 1

Really? Never had that.. had ice jams in the container but nothing that required a service call
I've only owned two refrigerators with one of them having a door dispenser, so not me personally. If you read reviews though it's almost always what people are bitching about. I've also known several people who had one break on an otherwise good fridge.