Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

6 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

that should have happened a long time ago.  an illegitimate election with Trump staying on isn’t going to be the thing that makes that finally happen.  

i’d put the chances of either Trump winning via suppression, foreign interference and other election rigging and cheating, or him losing and staying on anyway, at 90%+. either way, no one will  do anything about it.  

Why should Donald Trump have been removed by force already?

11 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

spacer.png

Ha ha this pic.  First semester, freshman year I was in crew.  I used to wake up at 430, ride my bike to the bay, row badly, ride my bike back, eat a giant omelet, and then go back to my room and take a short nap filled with halucinogenic dreams, and then go to my 9 am "Great Works seminar".  I'd sit directly across the professor to force myself to stay awake.  About every three or four classes, after nodding off (chin down), I would slowly awaken to be greeted by this exact scene, only with the professor looking straight at me and everyone in class smiling (mirth plus pity). 

(B+ with grade inflation.)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

Remember the white paper (appropriately named) the GOP did after 2012 saying they needed a bigger tent, to be more inclusive, etc...?

Didn’t really take.

Hillary losing was one of the worst things that's ever happened to the GOP. After they were stunned by Obama's reelection, even that idiot Bobby Jindal was calling them the party of stupid. They knew they had to recognize the fact that they needed broader appeal. After twelve years of Republican rule, Clinton brought the Democratic Party towards the center to reclaim power in '92. If Hillary had won it would have forced the Republicans to do the same (probably). Instead we got Trump and effectively a policy of ethnic cleansing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

Ha ha this pic.  First semester, freshman year I was in crew.  I used to wake up at 430, ride my bike to the bay, row badly, ride my bike back, eat a giant omelet, and then go back to my room and take a short nap filled with halucinogenic dreams, and then go to my 9 am "Great Works seminar".  I'd sit directly across the professor to force myself to stay awake.  About every three or four classes, after nodding off (chin down), I would slowly awaken to be greeted by this exact scene, only with the professor looking straight at me and everyone in class smiling (mirth plus pity). 

(B+ with grade inflation.)

Wouldn't all dreams technically be hallucinations?

It will be remarkable if Trump makes it to Election Day.  But remember it’s not just Trump, it’s the whole GOP.  They all sold out and you can bet your ass they are going to try to collect. 

How are you imagining Trump not making it to Election Day ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The worst part of trump is that he’s now created the playbook for someone like him to win. We will see successors attempt to follow the same path by wrapping themselves in a MAGA flag.  Perhaps the mainstream GOP will reject that person or perhaps not. Some may follow MAGA just because they have become too emotionally tied to it.

We're in real trouble if they find Trump II and he's actually smart and savvy. It's amazing how Trumpkins and Republicans have gone all in with an idiot at the helm but get someone that knows what they're doing, and we're really fucked.

• Like 1

Just now, sachick said:

We're in real trouble if they find Trump II and he's actually smart and savvy. It's amazing how Trumpkins and Republicans have gone all in with an idiot at the helm but get someone that knows what they're doing, and we're really fucked.

Tom Cotton or Josh Hawley.  Much more polished versions of Trump. 

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

SIAP

Is there really a Trump animatronic in the Hall of Presidents? They chose to include him of all people and he's the one speaking? And yes, I know they dressed him up and that's hilarious, but I'm more offended that he was included in the first place.

Long thread on how to defeat Trump. Tim Wise worked to oppose David Duke.

"He is a white nationalist. He is an authoritarian. He and his cult are a threat to the future of the nation and world because of their hatreds. His movement betrays the country's promise. THAT is the message that will drive turnout. Not debates over marginal tax rates..."

Tim Wise @timjacobwise
2 days ago, 34 tweets, 6 min read  Read on Twitter

1/ If the Dems blow this election it will not be because they were "too far left on policy" or because they "weren't left enough." It will have little to do with policy at all. They are making a mistake caused by traditional consultant theory that does not apply here...

2/ And by listening to influential pundits in liberal media who also don't get the unique nature of Trumpism, relative to normal political movements & campaigns...this election is NOT going to be won by talking about all your "great plans" for health care, jobs, education, etc..

3/ And the reasons are several...Let me begin by saying that I have experience confronting the kind of phenomenon we see in Trumpism, and far more than most. Any of us who were involved in the fight against David Duke in LA in 90/91 know what this is and how it must be fought...

4/ So before explaining what the Dems are doing wrong right now, a little history...In 1990, white supremacist David Duke ran for U.S. Senate in LA, and in 1991 for Governor. He lost both times but both times he won the majority of the white vote (60 and 55% respectively)...

5/ I was one of the staffers of the main anti-Duke PAC at the time & ultimately became Assistant Director. In 90, even though our Director Lance Hill, myself & a few of our founders wanted to focus on Duke's bigotry, ties to extremists and appeals to white racial resentment...

6/ ...after all, that WAS the issue--it was a moral struggle against racism--we had mainstream Democratic consultants who warned us against focusing too much on it. They said that "played into Duke's hands" and allowed him to set the agenda....

7/ So sure, we could discuss his ties to Nazis & such, but we shouldn't make a big deal out of his contemporary racist appeals, per se, bc "lots of voters agree" with those appeals...they even encouraged us to talk about utterly superfluous shit like Duke paying his taxes late..

8/ Or Duke avoiding service in Vietnam, or Duke writing a sex manual under a female pseudonym (yeah he did that)...although Lance held firm that we needed to talk mostly about racism, we did end up talking about some of that other stuff too, sadly...

9/ I say "sadly" because doing that normalized Duke as a regular candidate. Attacking his generic character or bill paying habits (or even discussing his inadequate plans for job creation, etc) treated him like a normal candidate. But he was/is a NAZI...

10/ And none of his voters were voting 4 him bc of jobs, or tax policy or support for term limits, etc. And none were going to turn on him over late tax payments, Vietnam, etc. Indeed throwing that stuff out there & downplaying the elephant in the room (racism) seemed desperate..

11/ It allowed people to say "well if he's really this racist, white supremacist, why are they talking about all this other stuff?" It actually undermined our ability to paint him as the extremist he was/is. And as a result, the threat he posed was not clear enough to voters...

12/ And this didn't just allow him to get votes he might not have gotten otherwise; it also depressed turnout among people who almost certainly disliked him but didn't think he could win or would be all that big a deal if he did. In fact I recall convos with "liberals"...

13/ ...Who said they weren't going 2 vote bc after all Duke's Dem opponent was just a shill for the oil and gas industry, and that was just as bad, blah blah fucking blah...because some lefties can't tell the difference between corporatist assholes and actual literal Nazis...

14/ But we bore some responsibility for that because we got suckered into playing this conventional game and "not playing into his narrative." Anyway, Duke gets 60% of the vote, black and white liberal turnout is lower than it should have been and Duke gets 44% of vote...

15/ In the Governor's race we dispensed w/ all that bullshit. We talked about Duke's ongoing Nazism and the moral/practical evil of his racist appeals. We discussed how that moral evil would have real world consequences (driving tourists and business away, rightly so, from LA)..

16/ Because it was wrong, and it was not who we wanted to be, and it was not who were were. We were better than that and needed to show the rest of the country that...

17/ Now, did this flip any of Duke's 1990 voters? Nah, not really. Indeed he got 65k MORE votes in the Governor's race than the Senate race. But it was never about flipping them. We knew that would be almost impossible...

18/ To flip Duke voters would require that they accept the fact that they had previously voted for a monster, and people are loath to do that. Our goal was not to flip them, but to DRIVE UP TURNOUT among the good folks, many of whom stayed home in 90...

19/ And that is what happened. The concerted effort of the anti-Duke forces (not just us), challenging Duke's "politics of prejudice," and making the election about what kind of state we wanted to be, drove turnout through the roof...

20/ 28,000+ registered on one day alone, between the initial election and runoff (which Duke made bc of the state's open primary system), with tens of thousands more overall: most of them, anti-Duke folks...

21/ When it was over, Duke had gotten 65k more votes than in 90, but his white share went to 55 (from 60) and overall to 39 (from 44) because the anti-Duke turnout swamped him...So what does this have to do with 2020 and Trump? Do I really need to explain it?...

22/ First, trying to flip Trump voters is a waste of time. Any of them who regret their vote don't need to be pandered to. They'll do the right thing. Don't focus on them. That said, very few will regret their vote. They cannot accept they voted for a monster or got suckered...

23/ Duke retained 94% of the folks he got the first time out (and got new people too), as Trump likely will. So forget these people--or at least don't wast time tailoring messages to them. And policy plans for affordable college don't mean shit to them, nor health care...

24/ Their support for Trump was never about policy. It was about the bigotry, the fact that he hates who they hate...Second, as for the "undecideds." ...Not many of these but seriously? If you're still undecided at this point about this guy...

25/ Then there is almost no way to know what would get you to make up your mind...I doubt it's a plan to deal with Wall Street though, or infrastructure, or tax policy...

26/ If anything, I would say crafting an argument that this is an existential crisis for the nation--and making it about Trump's bigotry and who we want to be as a country, would be far more effective in inspiring them to make up their minds...

27/ And what I know for a FACT is that this message--that Trumpism is a threat to everything we care about and love about this country--is what will inspire the Dem base to vote...and THAT is what this election is about...

28/ I'm not saying the Dems don't need policy ideas, but focusing on wonky, look-how-much-I've-thought about-this stuff is not going to move the needle in 2020...

29/ What the left never understands is: we need to stop approaching elections like the goddamned debate team, and start approaching it like the right does, like the cheerleading squad...

30/ The right knows psychology and we know public policy and sociology...great. The latter does not win elections...

31/ People who say the Dems should ignore Trump's race baiting because its some genius political strategy calculated to distract us, are idiots. He is no genius. And if you downplay it you NORMALIZE him. If you make this about policy, you NORMALIZE him. He is a racist...

32/ He is a white nationalist. He is an authoritarian. He and his cult are a threat to the future of the nation and world because of their hatreds. His movement betrays the country's promise. THAT is the message that will drive turnout. Not debates over marginal tax rates...

33/ Or how we are going to fund schools...And anyone who says we should ignore the race baiting to talk more about Mueller and Russia is an even bigger fool...that's like talking about Duke and late tax payments or other corruptions...it might all be true but is not the point...

34/ Not to say the House shouldn't impeach over that stuff. They should. But the 2020 candidates must craft a message that is not about that. Trumpism is the threat to America, more than Putin. And Putin didn't birth Trumpism. Conservative White America did...

Edited by retread
  • Like 8

Is there really a Trump animatronic in the Hall of Presidents? They chose to include him of all people and he's the one speaking? And yes, I know they dressed him up and that's hilarious, but I'm more offended that he was included in the first place.

Yes, he is included. They added an intro to the program that pleads for everyone to be respectful. By the way, animatronic Trump is much more eloquent than the real thing.

The sad thing is that so many people feel moved to draw up the road map for beating trump. It's like writing a treatise on why you shouldn't bite a wasp's nest. It should be as simple as reading the title and going, "really? You thought you had to explain this?"

It's the electorate. Too many voters embrace Trump. They're not even really fooled. They really like the guy. They approve of the policies and rhetoric. They won't shed a tear if one of the four freshman congresswomen is gunned down.

The hopelessness of changing the GOP minds is why, I suppose, the pundits turn to exhorting the Dems.

The hopelessness of changing the GOP minds is the problem not the Dems.

The GOPs rabidly support a man who is easily dismissed after just a glance. And there are a lot of them.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, retread said:

Long thread on how to defeat Trump. Tim Wise worked to oppose David Duke.

"He is a white nationalist. He is an authoritarian. He and his cult are a threat to the future of the nation and world because of their hatreds. His movement betrays the country's promise. THAT is the message that will drive turnout. Not debates over marginal tax rates..."

This, with a dose of "he is a conman who doesn't even understand the job he's not doing". I swear, watching those two debates where the D's were talking about Trump like he's Mitt Romney or John McCain was infuriating. Stop. Normalizing. Him. 

6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

This, with a dose of "he is a conman who doesn't even understand the job he's not doing". I swear, watching those two debates where the D's were talking about Trump like he's Mitt Romney or John McCain was infuriating. Stop. Normalizing. Him. 

Agree.  Harp on his bigotry and stupidity.  The Dems REALLY need to start making fun of his moronic intellect.  It will drive him insane.  Hell, they should goad him into taking an IQ test v whomever the Dem nominee is.   "I know, Donny, let's have a spelling bee", type of shit. 

He also needs some demeaning nicknames flooding social media.   Maybe he'll have a stroke...

50 minutes ago, sachick said:

regardless if they find Trump II, there will be many candidates vying for that spot. We will see Trump's rhetoric on the national spotlight for the next 20-30 years minimum.  Much longer if any of them find a large enough audience.

There is no one in the GOP that can stand up to him at any public level. I believe McConnell has some sway as long as he's willing to kiss up to Trump publicly. But there is no public moral or intellectual GOP leader that can stand up to Trump without legitimate fear of being ostracized. McCain was the last hope for that.

4 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Agree.  Harp on his bigotry and stupidity.  The Dems REALLY need to start making fun of his moronic intellect.  It will drive him insane.  Hell, they should goad him into taking an IQ test v whomever the Dem nominee is. 

I don't think harping and goading get the Dems anywhere. 

Dems look better when they don't goad or harp.   Everyone already got the memo that he's a moron. 

if 30+ years of showing himself publicly as a racist moron that fails at everything he tries hasn't turned people off of him then a nickname or iq test won't matter.  but yeah, i'd be a little more aggressive in going after him at this point. it can't hurt.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

We need to defeat Trump because he only cares about Donald Trump and Donald Trump's family.  Not America, not the rich, not the working class, not anyone unless they are related to him. 

When Biden ultimately gets the Dem nomination and debates Trump, his only debate answer should be that he isn't Trump. 

Moderator: "VP Biden how will you handle the healthcare finance problems that many face?"

Biden:  "I'm not this jackass that spends half the day on Twitter.  next question."

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

I don't think harping and goading get the Dems anywhere. 

Dems look better when they don't goad or harp.   Everyone already got the memo that he's a moron. 

I'm not so sure.  I believe there are a lot of people out there who do not pay attention to his tweets and rants, or politics in general.  I've had conversations w/ people who have no idea he's been as wheels-off as he's been.  They simply don't pay attention.  

1 hour ago, sachick said:

there's a us president dressed up in ss garb and that's not the offensive part of the story.

2019 is so weird.

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm not so sure.  I believe there are a lot of people out there who do not pay attention to his tweets and rants, or politics in general.  I've had conversations w/ people who have no idea he's been as wheels-off as he's been.  They simply don't pay attention.  

do they vote?

I think the guy who helped campaign against David Duke is spot on.  His point is the same as what many of us have been saying -- there is no swaying the base, you might as well argue with a fencepost or my wife.  It's all about voter turnout, and targeting the young voter and the apathetic voter is the winning strategy.  It's ridiculously simple.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

For low information, potential voters, I think time is better spent identifying things he has done or will do that will make them want to vote against them.  Focusing on his overall moronicism -- I just don't think that sells well.  Not when he's a moron who loves America more than the Squad.

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

if 30+ years of showing himself publicly as a racist moron that fails at everything he tries hasn't turned people off of him then a nickname or iq test won't matter.  but yeah, i'd be a little more aggressive in going after him at this point. it can't hurt.

Except for the fact that he was portrayed as a "smart and tough businessman" for 10+ years, weekly, on a nationally broadcast primetime reality teevee show to erase that image.

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think the guy who helped campaign against David Duke is spot on.  His point is the same as what many of us have been saying -- there is no swaying the base, you might as well argue with a fencepost or my wife.  It's all about voter turnout, and targeting the young voter and the apathetic voter is the winning strategy.  It's ridiculously simple.

I think Aunt Nancy's prevent defense is doing nothing to motivate people to get to the polls. Like punting leverage on the debt ceiling until '21.

People respond to action. Feels like she just wants to coast to Nov. '20.

14 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

do they vote?

yes

12 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

For low information, potential voters, I think time is better spent identifying things he has done or will do that will make them want to vote against them.  Focusing on his overall moronicism -- I just don't think that sells well.  Not when he's a moron who loves America more than the Squad.

Perhaps but I think most non-base voters would prefer someone who isn't an idiot for president but, who the hell knows. 

1 hour ago, sachick said:

It's tradition to have the current president speak.

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Wrong.  I've been assured by DD (who totally doesn't support Pelosi, btw) that Nancy and the Dem leadership have a plan to beat Trump with wonky policy debates.

I’m hoping that Mueller’s testimony will reach the uninformed who don’t follow twitter or the 24 hour news channels. I don’t expect Mueller to say anything that isn’t already in the report but I think having video of Mueller restating the findings of the report will reach the uniformed.

hahahah, holy shit, trump does the white power hand sign.

q supporters are going to lose their minds, what's left. 

and he may not have done this on purpose, but there's no way he does this on accident, is there? he's intentionally stoking the support of white supremacy. 

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Right but don't say things like "we need to defeat Trump because he only cares about the rich!". Yeah say that about Romney. Say "he ran as a way to make money and accidentally got elected by the Russians. He's a fraud."

Don't say that, either.

Call him a racist and a white supremacist over and over and over from now until the election. 

• Like 1