Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Gender is a sociological construct, not a biological one. A person's biological sex isn't malleable, at least not currently. A person's gender is, legally so in fact in most countries. 

Apparently it's much easier to game the air travel rewards system than it is to understand this extraordinarily simple concept.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Apparently it's much easier to game the air travel rewards system than it is to understand this extraordinarily simple concept.

Can you change your race? No. You can make yourself more physically akin but it does nothing to change your risks for ailments due genetic attributes. 

Can you change your age? No. You can identify as an "old soul" but you cannot start collecting Social Security when you are biologically 30 years old.

But wearing women's clothes and taking hormones to make you physically appear as a woman is somehow different despite the fact that you may still be at risk for testicular cancer.

You're right, I don't understand your simple concepts.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Can you change your race? No. You can make yourself more physically akin but it does nothing to change your risks for ailments due genetic attributes. 

Can you change your age? No. You can identify as an "old soul" but you cannot start collecting Social Security when you are biologically 30 years old.

But wearing women's clothes and taking hormones to make you physically appear as a woman is somehow different despite the fact that you may still be at risk for testicular cancer.

You're right, I don't understand your simple concepts.

Cool.

But you can change your gender seeing as how gender, as opposed to sex, is a social construct.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Cool.

But you can change your gender seeing as how gender, as opposed to sex, is a social construct.

Where are you getting that gender is a social construct? Your rejection of it is an individual construct, but you have no right to demand that your acceptance be the baseline. Isn't your insistence that a biological man be called a woman an infringement on my Freedom of Speech, if we're going to parse this? How you "feel" doesn't matter in the discussion. 

• Fuck You 1

No issue with that at all. Just wondering why the goal posts arbitrarily move so much. "You can't force people to have a baby because it's her body, but fuck your logic and basic understanding of science because pronouns are important! How DARE you have a different viewpoint?!?"
Not going to derail the thread with this further.

One example involves laws and government authority. The other involves people saying negative stuff about you.
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Where are you getting that gender is a social construct? Your rejection of it is an individual construct, but you have no right to demand that your acceptance be the baseline. Isn't your insistence that a biological man be called a woman an infringement on my Freedom of Speech, if we're going to parse this? How you "feel" doesn't matter in the discussion. 

You might want to reread the Constitution.  DD is not the government.

Race is also a social construct.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Trans individuals who identify as one or the other or both. This isn't difficult. You just don't like it cuz it makes you feel icky.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

That's real dumb.

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Pokemon said:

I live with a transgender person. She's a girl. Calling her a boy would psychologically kill her. Undeniably. It would be an obvious cruelty. And utterly ill-fitting in every way. She's deeply traumatized from childhood bullying and gender-norm enforcement already.

Have some fucking basic respect for the realities of other people. You are not God, and anybody could do the same with you.

Try meeting some people outside of your bubble. Everybody's really the same. At heart. To deny somebody their soulful truths is abuse.

I believe I've mentioned this in other threads: My wife's sister is a pediatric urologist and has operated on infants born with ambiguous genitalia. In these cases, the parents often choose which gender they want their baby to be. 

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

I believe I've mentioned this in other threads: My wife's sister is a pediatric urologist and has operated on infants born with ambiguous genitalia. In these cases, the parents often choose which gender they want their baby to be. 

Which is rapidly falling out of favor, actually, as opposed to waiting to see the gender expression emerge. And gender doesn't always align with genitals, in phenotypically normal people. There has even been some recent research showing that genitals can develop in opposition to sex chromosomes for certain reasons.

At any rate, people have an innate sense of what their gender is....so trust them.

Edited by ChuckNorrisActionJeans
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

No issue with that at all. Just wondering why the goal posts arbitrarily move so much. "You can't force people to have a baby because it's her body, but fuck your logic and basic understanding of science because pronouns are important! How DARE you have a different viewpoint?!?"

Not going to derail the thread with this further.

Man, you are really bad at this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You answered your own question.

As for the other people, not enough taxes were withheld from their paychecks. The dumbass Republicans wanted to get credit in the short term with bumps in pay without really thinking ahead to tax day 2019 when people would notice their refunds were lower or they actually owed money.

Is the too little withholding thing something Trump can "fix" by EO, or will it require passing a new bill in congress?

2 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

Is the too little withholding thing something Trump can "fix" by EO, or will it require passing a new bill in congress?

I think the IRS can change the tables on their own, but I'm not sure. An accountant or tax lawyer would know.

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What I don't understand is all this im reading about poor people getting less back in tax returns and/or having to owe for the first time ever or something.

How does this happen? I'm pretty poor myself (middle class) and I'm getting the biggest return I've ever gotten. I had some great deductions that maybe others might not have had (child credit helped, went through an adoption, got to claim some investment losses on a business I invested in around 2015 initially, etc.) but that that would only account for how sizable of a return i'd get. You should still get a good return if you are a middle of the road poor person with a 1040EZ, right? 

Or is it only the people without kids who are the ones who are not getting a bump in their returns or having to owe now?

Just to clarify, there is no longer a 1040EZ for the poors.  Everybody has to file a 1040.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

You answered your own question.

As for the other people, not enough taxes were withheld from their paychecks. The dumbass Republicans wanted to get credit in the short term with bumps in pay without really thinking ahead to tax day 2019 when people would notice their refunds were lower or they actually owed money.

This cannot be overstated. They deliberately told the IRS to fudge the withholding so people would see an immediate increase in take home pay. For political reasons. So people would like the tax cut. So DOTUS could get a "win". But people don't really notice small changes in their monthly pay because its just not that much.

Unfortunately, idiots didn't consider(because they really have no fucking clue how an average person lives) that would result in a lower refund, or even a tax bill at the end of the year. A lot of people are ok with the government taking out more every month than they have to because they like getting that one time tax return, which feels like some sort of buns. Which they spend on shit, which stimulates the economy.

Anyway, two additional points:

1) you Oatmealcookie also seems to have no fucking clue how an average person lives.

2) the bolded part above should result in jail time for some people in the administration.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
sorry, forgot who I was quoting
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Really? What’s the point of that? Stimulate H & R Block? 

I guess.  Who knows?  Just know my kid would have filed an EZ but found out it no longer exists for 2018.  Luckily we use Turbotax so it doesn't matter all that much to me.  But it's gonna cause some grief for other people.

18 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

This cannot be overstated. They deliberately told the IRS to fudge the withholding so people would see an immediate increase in take home pay. For political reasons. So people would like the tax cut. So DOTUS could get a "win". But people don't really notice small changes in their monthly pay because its just not that much.

Unfortunately, idiots didn't consider(because they really have no fucking clue how an average person lives) that would result in a lower refund, or even a tax bill at the end of the year.

Why are you giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming ignorance?  I think they knew exactly what they were doing.  They like fucking over poor people, brown people, poor brown people, you name it.  This was a turbo fuck -- "hey look, Trump got me a raise!!!"  "what the hell?"

What I honestly love right now is the blatent manner that the GOP assumes it's supporters are near morons.  "Finish the Wall?" Holy fucking shit the folks that will swallow that spoonfed shit truly are morons.  So the President simply declare that like his imaginary integrity, imaginary genius we now have an imaginary wall that Trump is imagining in his "big brain" that he is building.

Imagine the CEO of a company presenting such blatent lies, while representing the company is doing fantastically to stock holders.  The GOP simply has some of the dumbest stock holders around right now. Trump's base will actually believe anything the man says, and that is very, very dangerous.  Not necessarily because Trump lies so repetitively, but because the desire to believe a man so much they will disregard all reality.  THANK GOD for educated people, and educated women in particular!

Apparently you can't fool all of the people all the time, but you can fool 30% of the American electorate all the time, when they want so badly to be fooled...

Edited by horn4life

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why are you giving them the benefit of the doubt and assuming ignorance?  I think they knew exactly what they were doing.  They like fucking over poor people, brown people, poor brown people, you name it.  This was a turbo fuck -- "hey look, Trump got me a raise!!!"  "what the hell?"

1 hour ago, Spankytoes said:

imgur

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

For 99% of people, the IRS already has all of your information (W-2s and 1099s are sent to both you and the IRS) and could easily file your taxes for you.  Some congressman tried to have the IRS send you a draft with all your income they know about , assume the standard deduction/credits based on what they know about your family, and simply have you make edits as necessary, but the tax preparation software lobby (wish I was joking) stomped it out.

And we don't do a flat tax because it screws poor people.

• Like 2

It's not difficult to conceive a tax code that is progressive up through a certain (low) income, and flat above that.  There are a whole bunch of reasons we haven't gone there, and most are related to the fact that the uber-wealthy loves them some loopholes.  They're not about to let the government they bought and paid for raise their taxes any substantial amount.

2 minutes ago, Keef said:

For 99% of people, the IRS already has all of your information (W-2s and 1099s are sent to both you and the IRS) and could easily file your taxes for you.  Some congressman tried to have the IRS send you a draft with all your income they know about , assume the standard deduction/credits based on what they know about your family, and simply have you make edits as necessary, but the tax preparation software lobby (wish I was joking) stomped it out.

And we don't do a flat tax because it screws poor people.

Ha I was joking with someone this morning about the H&R Block/TurboTax lobby.  I was right! 

It's not difficult to conceive a tax code that is progressive up through a certain (low) income, and flat above that.  There are a whole bunch of reasons we haven't gone there, and most are related to the fact that the uber-wealthy loves them some loopholes.  They're not about to let the government they bought and paid for raise their taxes any substantial amount.

Let’s go ahead and tax capital gains as ordinary income while you’re at it, Mr John Lennon.
  • Like 4

"Building a lot of it right now.  We will get the job done.  The wall is very, very on its way right now.  It's happening.  As we speak.  We're building as we speak.  In the most desperately needed areas.  And ... it's a big wall.  It's a strong wall.  It's a wall that people aren't going through very easy.  You'd have to be in extremely good shape to get over this one.  They would be able to climb Mount Everest a lot easier I think.  But it's happening.  We have other things happening, too."

President of the United States,   2-13-19