2019 Sugar Bowl - Texas vs. Georgia

satyanash

jesus christ.  I just heard him say, "from my sources, I know guys on staff there, it's not the coaches fault.  They did everything they could to motivate the players".  He sort of pulled this card (knowing people/having played in the SEC) before the game.  That he "having played" knows what it takes and understands the "difference in physicality" when presented evidence contrary to his points.  It's always, "well I played so I understand".  Hard to argue with that shit so I'm not in that room talking....yet.

Edited by Teamdirtyleg

16 hours ago, bullet said:

Love the South Jawja accent.  Married a girl with one.  Now north Georgia sounds too much like Tennessee and Dolly Parton.

Quarter and the restaurants were about 60-40 Longhorns.  Longhorns were louder in the stadium.  I couldn't see the upper deck, but the lower deck looked pretty close.  Maybe a few more Longhorns.  Scattered burnt orange on one side and scattered red on the other.  Maybe the end zones (both of which were split) were slightly more Longhorn.

Really, how can you hate Georgia?  They made Baker Mayfield cry last year in the Rose Bowl.

You live here among those Oakley-wearing, mouthbreathing fucksticks for 25 years.  That will do the trick.

28 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

I'm listening to an argument in the next room here at work.  I work with a guy from Atlanta who played college ball for Bama.    "Georgia didn't want to be there"  "In their minds, they belonged in the playoff".  "you know that wasn't the same team that played alabama or even Oklahoma last year".

Blah blah blah blah blah. 

This SEC myth will take a while to uproot.... to their own peril.

Fuck that.  Wanting to be there is part of the game.  Wanting to be there is part of what makes a good team.  You don't get to take traits of good teams, like physicality, Xs and Os,  ala carte and leave others, like desire, behind.  You don't get to claim you're a good team except for the wanting to be there part.  Good teams get past that shit.  Fuck 'em.  The better team won.  Would we always be the better team 10 out of 10 tries, maybe not.  But we were better when it counted and anyone who tries to "if, and, but..." that can fuck right off.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

jesus christ.  I just heard him say, "from my sources, I know guys on staff there, it's not the coaches fault.  They did everything they could to motivate the players".  He sort of pulled this card (knowing people/having played in the SEC) before the game.  That he "having played" knows what it takes and understands the "difference in physicality" when presented evidence contrary to his points.  It's always, "well I played so I understand".  Hard to argue with that shit so I'm not in that room talking....yet.

Just had a similar discussion with a young pro-SEC associate.  "Bowl games are meaningless unless you are in the playoffs."  "Georgia didn't want to be there." "The Bama-OU game is the only bowl game to judge the SEC vs. Big 12."  yada yada yada  

3 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Fuck that.  Wanting to be there is part of the game.  Wanting to be there is part of what makes a good team.  You don't get to take traits of good teams, like physicality, Xs and Os,  ala carte and leave others, like desire, behind.  You don't get to claim you're a good team except for the wanting to be there part.  Good teams get past that shit.  Fuck 'em.  

True.  Example, Alabama.  It's a rare game indeed, and no big games I can recall, where they didn't want it and want it bad.

4 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Just had a similar discussion with a young pro-SEC associate.  "Bowl games are meaningless unless you are in the playoffs."  "Georgia didn't want to be there." "The Bama-OU game is the only bowl game to judge the SEC vs. Big 12."  yada yada yada  

Yes every single team in the entire conference should be judged by how Alabama plays. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Shit you haven't heard?  The SECSEC has never lost a game they wanted to win. They only lose games they don't care about.  It just means more.  Aggy knows what I'm talkin about.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

The record books will always show "Texas - 2019 Sugar Bowl Champions". They will never show "Texas - Sugar Bowl Champions* (*but only cuz jawja dint wanna be thar). Fuck 'em. Their fans know in their hearts they got their asses kicked. They're just going through the 5 stages of grief while I still got a huge shit eating grin 3 days later. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

Beck got plenty of deserved distain when he was calling the offense, but hard not to love the emotion on his face during this.

Assuming he's the one coaching our qbs, he's now providing huge value both there and in recruiting.  You can argue over title and pay, but I'll leave that up to Herman.  As long as he is never our play caller again, I'm OK with Beck on our staff. 

I love Beck on this staff in the right capacity. Fantastic QB coach and recruiter. Co-OC title would be fine with me with someone else calling plays. 

1 hour ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

And have those team buy the hype and underestimate us.

Yep.

They just don't get that their circle jerk love fest for each other gives all not named Bama a very counterproductive false sense of superiority and security.

Keep on keepin' on as far as I'm concerned.

1 hour ago, zzz said:

The record books will always show "Texas - 2019 Sugar Bowl Champions". They will never show "Texas - Sugar Bowl Champions* (*but only cuz jawja dint wanna be thar). Fuck 'em. Their fans know in their hearts they got their asses kicked. They're just going through the 5 stages of grief while I still got a huge shit eating grin 3 days later. 

Fuckin' this. There is not a single SEC team not named Bama who would want anything to do with Texas at this point. They all know the truth -- they aren't tough enough for a street fight with fast, hungry dogs like Texas. And "fast" is the right word -- Bama has enough speed, of course, but Georgia was touted as the next fastest SEC team, and Texas ran circles around them all night long.

They got their asses kicked, and they know it. The rest is just noise.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Beer Drinker said:

Just rewatched for the third time, first time to watch halfass sober.  Joseph Ossai played a hell of a game.  We need to quit running the fucking option.... hasn’t worked all year.  Substitute it with the LJH screen pass for 10 yards and then let the O-line push him for another 10, that one does not suck.

Kept them honest.  Good change of pace.

2 hours ago, Teamdirtyleg said:

Show that quote from the Texas linebackers someone posted above.

31 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Fuckin' this. There is not a single SEC team not named Bama who would want anything to do with Texas at this point. They all know the truth -- they aren't tough enough for a street fight with fast, hungry dogs like Texas. And "fast" is the right word -- Bama has enough speed, of course, but Georgia was touted as the next fastest SEC team, and Texas ran circles around them all night long.

They got their asses kicked, and they know it. The rest is just noise.

UGa didn't lack speed.  They just had no f'in clue which direction to run.  When they did, they were often wrong.  And when they stood there trying to figure it out, a Longhorn punched them in the mouth.

It was BEAUTIFUL synergy between coaches and players on the field.

Edited by sushihorn
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, zlavydra said:

You live here among those Oakley-wearing, mouthbreathing fucksticks for 25 years.  That will do the trick.

I've been in Atlanta for 10 years.  Never seen them quite so cocky as they were before the Sugar Bowl.  Maybe they got a little full of themselves beating Alabama twice for 3.5 quarters.

2 hours ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I saw that too.  Pretty much textbook.  Not sure how they "missed" it.

Pac 12 referees.  Worst in college football.

Couldn't even figure out what to do with those 3 penalties for 5 minutes.  Were they getting OT pay for that last minute of the game?

31 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

There is not a single SEC team not named Bama who would want anything to do with Texas at this point. They all know the truth -- they aren't tough enough for a street fight with fast, hungry dogs like Texas.

This is a little aggy. LSU beat the shit out of this jawja team. I want to wait to see how we handle them in September before claiming we're faster and hungrier.

(I mean, I think we will be better than LSU but that team ain't a pushover)

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

If that was Bama who "fell" to the Sugar Bowl and got whupped by Texas, I can almost -- almost -- allow the argument they weren't in it mentally. Hell, they've played in every single CFP that we've had and won five titles in the last eight years or something like that. Georgia last won a national championship in 1980 and had a whopping three SEC championships since 1982 on their resume. Those fuckers are NOT above the Sugar Bowl, especially against a name opponent like Texas. If it was UCF or Utah or South Florida? Maybe. But not Texas.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sushihorn said:

BTW, how the HELL was the hit by #2 at the 2 yd line NOT called targeting on Sam's scramble to set up 1st and goal on the last TD drive?  He clearly launches, even leaving his feet.  Lowers the head, striking Sam with the TOP of the helmet, not just the area above the facemask.  Head to head blow with a straight on collision.  It was deliberate and blatant; Sam's head didn't change levels - which is how accidental targeting usually happens.

Because the rule should be spearing. Targeting has way too many intricacies and definitions.

59 minutes ago, bullet said:

Couldn't even figure out what to do with those 3 penalties for 5 minutes.  Were they getting OT pay for that last minute of the game?

They aren't the worst. Sure they fuck up, and suck, but at least they dont make themselves the story of the game. They also dont take a million years to review obvious shit the whole game. Only at the end of this one.

5 minutes ago, Zavala said:

They aren't the worst. Sure they fuck up, and suck, but at least they dont make themselves the story of the game. They also dont take a million years to review obvious shit the whole game. Only at the end of this one.

Agree, they did a bang-up job compared to B12 refs.  I didn't even notice them until the end of the game.  

Edited by utee94
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bullet said:

All told the refs were very good. Let us play for the most part, didn't maliciously target us with questionable calls like Big 12 refs do in seemingly every okie lite game nowadays.

Glasses ref was probably the poster boy for the Pac-12's officiating woes, but now he's retired.

• Like 1

At some point losing is worse. I agree that in general, playing for it all is better than a lesser bowl. First of all, OU didn’t get to play for it all. Second, I can’t imagine anyone preferring a 77-0 or Route 66-style humiliation in any game to the glory of a dominating Sugar Bowl win. How ugly the game has to be to trigger the distinction I don’t know, and probably varies among reasonable people.
Who's to say that us playing bama would be a rout 66. We own those overrated shitbags. 7-1-1. Only loss is because of Colt's freak injury. And we almost won that one. With Sam at the helm we fuckstomp Bama. Tradition.

• Like 1

They sucked early but at least battled back to a respectable loss unlike their USC beatdown game.  I don't think there is any question as far as my satisfaction in comparing OU to Texas this year.  Better record, win conference, split h2h, and playoff berth.  They even have a Heisman.  I know it's an individual award but it's a team game and it absolutely means something for a program to have a player win the Heisman.  We have a better bowl performance going for us and a split h2h.
Something like a UF v UGA discussion would fit the hypothetical better.  Neither hoisted conference hardware and neither were in a playoff game.  Despite losing the h2h Florida routed Michigan in a lesser bowl and UGA got beat down in a higher bowl.  I think an argument for Florida having a more satisfying season could be made there.
aggy please. Fuck off with ur ou sec derp.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

Funny ... Monday night it seemed like aggy had won the national championship after beating unranked NC State.

Pretty sure I read something from Smart saying his team was fired up and looking forward to facing Texas in the Sugar Bowl in the post game interviews, and got  beat in nearly every facet of the game. I remember that because I thought that was solid of him. Don’t ask for a link though, paraphrasing from (at that time) a potentially liquid aftermath memory.

3 hours ago, Vertigo said:

I love Beck on this staff in the right capacity. Fantastic QB coach and recruiter. Co-OC title would be fine with me with someone else calling plays. 

This.

"Tim, what play do you think we should run here?"

"Ok, we're not running that one. Thanks."

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Texas A&M: coming up just short since the dawn of time.

scepter.0.gif

Of all the aggy things I have ever seen (too many to possibly enumerate), IMO, this encapsulates aggy as well as any of them. It’s perfect, and will live forever.

A true aggy defining moment.

Edited by Wishbone

7 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Pretty sure I read something from Smart saying his team was fired up and looking forward to facing Texas in the Sugar Bowl in the post game interviews, and got  beat in nearly every facet of the game. I remember that because I thought that was solid of him. Don’t ask for a link though, paraphrasing from (at that time) a potentially liquid aftermath memory.

He did say something to that effect.

21 hours ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think you could make an argument that it has to do with the mercenaries they’ve brought into the program. When you’re commitment to the school is driven by cash, I don’t think there is much in the way of a bond you share with your teammates that helps you overcome adversity. You’re all there because you were paid to be there. I think there has to be something more substantial than that. I felt the same way watching those Ole Miss teams. 

They just lost most of their offense.  Nauta, Hardman and Ridley receivers declared and Sophomore Hollyfield declared.  With Godwin a Sr., they lost 4 of their 5 receivers with significant catches and their #2 yardage (and IMO best) RB.  So there was definitely some mercenary.

Just now, bullet said:

They just lost most of their offense.  Nauta, Hardman and Ridley receivers declared and Sophomore Hollyfield declared.  With Godwin a Sr., they lost 4 of their 5 receivers with significant catches and their #2 yardage (and IMO best) RB.  So there was definitely some mercenary.  None of those people are 1st rounders.  

28 minutes ago, Wishbone said:

Of all the aggy things I have ever seen (too many to possibly enumerate), IMO, this encapsulates aggy as well as any of them. It’s perfect, and will live forever.

A true aggy defining moment.

If one were not familiar with aggy, one would be astounded by the fact that after this incident, they still used the moronic pimp cane. It's not so much the dorkiness, the stupidity, or the incompetence. It's all those things combined with the complete and utter disregard for even any pretense of self-awareness.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

UGa didn't lack speed.  They just had no f'in clue which direction to run.  When they did, they were often wrong.  And when they stood there trying to figure it out, a Longhorn punched them in the mouth.

It was BEAUTIFUL synergy between coaches and players on the field.

I loved the play where LJH threw back to Sam, especially the part where Georgia's #1 tackler just bounced off of our quarterback like he hit a concrete pylon.

Speed was not the problem there, nor was it the nearly dozen other times when they couldn't get our guys on the ground.

In short - concur.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If one were not familiar with aggy, one would be astounded by the fact that after this incident, they still used the moronic pimp cane. It's not so much the dorkiness, the stupidity, or the incompetence. It's all those things combined with the complete and utter disregard for even any pretense of self-awareness.

You’re right of course. Also, If I posted  that again, I would call it a true aggy confirmation moment as well.

7 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I know when thinking of iconic blaxsploitation movie props the first association that comes to mind is aggy...