2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

11 hours ago, Eggo said:

Not a great play for Shack if that's why he was watching film, by the way

What did Shack do wrong on that play, other than cover for Sam holding the ball a tick longer than he needed?

Also, that hitch and slant route against TCU, if Sam delivers the ball right at the break and leads Duvernay, he would have had a chance to split the safeties and house it.

IT team notes

We can't say every day has been record breaking, but the good news is, a bad day of running or lifting is measurably better than good days last year. That underlines what we've been saying, the team is stronger and faster than at any other point in the Herman tenure. That's not an opinion.

This week consisted of numerous running sessions, numerous lifting sessions, and voluntary football work in the form of 7 on 7. They'll be off next week. 'll circle back to the 7 on 7 in a minute.

I've been asked about the freshmen class. Of course we're still getting to know them. When new players initially arrive they're sequestered and given medicals and tests before they're thrown in with the general population. Once they're released to the veterans it's typically an eye-opening couple of weeks. Some players adjust much better and more quickly than others. Of course, some never do.

While Jean Delance struggled to even stretch right, Javonne Shepherd is showing much more willingness to work. He still has some maturing to do, but that's not really different from many others who are making a huge adjustment. He's going to have to keep fighting through some tough workouts but I've heard he'll be fine. While Shepherd is rather large, I've heard Juco transfer Willie Tyler is "bigger than them all. He looks like an upper-classmen that would play at OU." So far he moves all right. The incoming offensive linemen I've heard the most about is Isaiah Hookfin. He's said to be adjusting easier than most offensive lineman and to be in good shape. He's a red-shirt and then he'll compete candidate.

Jake Smith is the receiver we hear about the most. In high school it was hard to get a good time for him speed-wise, but he was always plenty fast on tape. I still don't know how fast he is but he's fast compared to fast players in the secondary. He's finding space but I hear the same caveat every summer, "but what's he going to do when the pads come on? Is he still going to run over the middle like that?" We've heard from numerous people how big he is so we think he'll be just fine. Him having good size was part of the eval and why you'll want to get him carries out of the back-field at times too.

Two freshmen names we've heard on defense are Tyler Owens and Kenyatta Watson. "Tyler looks like the guys who came in last year. Huge and fast. We'll see what he looks like in pads. Watson has some size and moves well. He may get a look at Joker for passing situations. Overshown is good against the pass too so it will be tough for him to get on the field but they want to get them some looks." I knew Tyler had a chance to impress, but as the source said, "where do you put all these guys?"

The 7 on 7 format is kept vanilla and the intensity isn't exactly that of a Saturday scrimmage. It's a good way to keep football movement patterns greased, to go out and compete, and to work together as a team. Another positive is for guys returning from injury to knock off the rust. Previously we'd heard of Caden Sterns having some issues. It wasn't worth writing for obvious reasons, but he's getting back to his rangy self.

Another benefit of 7 on 7 has occurred with Casey Thompson. I was asked about him last week. Funny enough, when asking about other stuff I was told unsolicited that he's improving by the day. Unable to take off and run, he's forced to find receivers quickly. Who knows how he'll look when the field is littered with linemen but right now he's throwing good fade routes and is generally more accurate. He still doesn't have the greatest velocity so he'll have to continually improve his anticipation. With Roschon Johnson I've heard they've tinkered with his mechanics and he's still adjusting to it. Like changing a golf swing, new mechanics take time to turn into muscle memory.

We've talked to countless sources who think if the key figures stay healthy the offense is going to be explosive, not just good. Now, of course that last sentence will be mentioned the first time the offense stalls but we've heard it a bunch.

This is easily the best team chemistry I've heard about since Herman's arrival. That's certainly no coincidence as each class adds nothing but players Herman and his staff chose, but it should help improve the bottom line.

A couple additional team notes: XWR continues to look stacked with Collin Johnson and Malcolm Epps. I hear about Epps every time I ask about the team. He's a bit of a one-trick pony, but he's really good at that one trick: he's extremely had to cover one-on-one versus a corner. Hopefully that doesn't say much about the corners. I don't think it does.

If you read Scipio's piece on winning wide, you'll know for the offense to take another step, Collin Johnson will need to become more well-rounded as a receiver. Scip's post reminded me what we've been hearing that this summer of Johnson. His routes continue to improve and he's working hard towards creating separation on the field rather than above it.

And finally, Ian freaking Boyd with the Humidor note: Ian hears through Big 12 contacts that teams aren't just worried about Malcolm Roach on the defensive line, but also Ta'Quon Graham. Graham is described as really quick laterally and thus hard to deal with in general, and too quick to try to read with an option.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah, no shit. Who said that? Whoever it is, they need to be fired.

To be fair, Ehlinger looks like an upper classmen that would play QB at OU. 

Except he isn't a douchey, mouth-breathing jizz rag. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT team notes

Hide contents

We can't say every day has been record breaking, but the good news is, a bad day of running or lifting is measurably better than good days last year. That underlines what we've been saying, the team is stronger and faster than at any other point in the Herman tenure. That's not an opinion.

This week consisted of numerous running sessions, numerous lifting sessions, and voluntary football work in the form of 7 on 7. They'll be off next week. 'll circle back to the 7 on 7 in a minute.

I've been asked about the freshmen class. Of course we're still getting to know them. When new players initially arrive they're sequestered and given medicals and tests before they're thrown in with the general population. Once they're released to the veterans it's typically an eye-opening couple of weeks. Some players adjust much better and more quickly than others. Of course, some never do.

While Jean Delance struggled to even stretch right, Javonne Shepherd is showing much more willingness to work. He still has some maturing to do, but that's not really different from many others who are making a huge adjustment. He's going to have to keep fighting through some tough workouts but I've heard he'll be fine. While Shepherd is rather large, I've heard Juco transfer Willie Tyler is "bigger than them all. He looks like an upper-classmen that would play at OU." So far he moves all right. The incoming offensive linemen I've heard the most about is Isaiah Hookfin. He's said to be adjusting easier than most offensive lineman and to be in good shape. He's a red-shirt and then he'll compete candidate.

Jake Smith is the receiver we hear about the most. In high school it was hard to get a good time for him speed-wise, but he was always plenty fast on tape. I still don't know how fast he is but he's fast compared to fast players in the secondary. He's finding space but I hear the same caveat every summer, "but what's he going to do when the pads come on? Is he still going to run over the middle like that?" We've heard from numerous people how big he is so we think he'll be just fine. Him having good size was part of the eval and why you'll want to get him carries out of the back-field at times too.

Two freshmen names we've heard on defense are Tyler Owens and Kenyatta Watson. "Tyler looks like the guys who came in last year. Huge and fast. We'll see what he looks like in pads. Watson has some size and moves well. He may get a look at Joker for passing situations. Overshown is good against the pass too so it will be tough for him to get on the field but they want to get them some looks." I knew Tyler had a chance to impress, but as the source said, "where do you put all these guys?"

The 7 on 7 format is kept vanilla and the intensity isn't exactly that of a Saturday scrimmage. It's a good way to keep football movement patterns greased, to go out and compete, and to work together as a team. Another positive is for guys returning from injury to knock off the rust. Previously we'd heard of Caden Sterns having some issues. It wasn't worth writing for obvious reasons, but he's getting back to his rangy self.

Another benefit of 7 on 7 has occurred with Casey Thompson. I was asked about him last week. Funny enough, when asking about other stuff I was told unsolicited that he's improving by the day. Unable to take off and run, he's forced to find receivers quickly. Who knows how he'll look when the field is littered with linemen but right now he's throwing good fade routes and is generally more accurate. He still doesn't have the greatest velocity so he'll have to continually improve his anticipation. With Roschon Johnson I've heard they've tinkered with his mechanics and he's still adjusting to it. Like changing a golf swing, new mechanics take time to turn into muscle memory.

We've talked to countless sources who think if the key figures stay healthy the offense is going to be explosive, not just good. Now, of course that last sentence will be mentioned the first time the offense stalls but we've heard it a bunch.

This is easily the best team chemistry I've heard about since Herman's arrival. That's certainly no coincidence as each class adds nothing but players Herman and his staff chose, but it should help improve the bottom line.

A couple additional team notes: XWR continues to look stacked with Collin Johnson and Malcolm Epps. I hear about Epps every time I ask about the team. He's a bit of a one-trick pony, but he's really good at that one trick: he's extremely had to cover one-on-one versus a corner. Hopefully that doesn't say much about the corners. I don't think it does.

If you read Scipio's piece on winning wide, you'll know for the offense to take another step, Collin Johnson will need to become more well-rounded as a receiver. Scip's post reminded me what we've been hearing that this summer of Johnson. His routes continue to improve and he's working hard towards creating separation on the field rather than above it.

And finally, Ian freaking Boyd with the Humidor note: Ian hears through Big 12 contacts that teams aren't just worried about Malcolm Roach on the defensive line, but also Ta'Quon Graham. Graham is described as really quick laterally and thus hard to deal with in general, and too quick to try to read with an option.

Glad to hear they’re changing up Roschon’s mechanics. He definitely needs to make some changes. If he can improve his mechanics, he’ll be the clear lead dog to take over in 2021.

You know it’s the offseason because we’re hearing positive reports about Taquon Graham.  Nobody in the Big 12 is scared of him. He was pretty terrible last year. I don’t care if he looks good in pads or can squat a metric shit ton, he absolutely disappears when the lights come on. He stands up straight and gets washed out of the play way too often. I’ll believe Graham’s improved when I actually see it in a game, but if this defense wants to have a chance at being elite, one of the young guys needs to beat Graham out early in the year.

• Like 1

If I were you, I'd listen carefully to what Bradshaw has to say because if there's anyone on the planet who knows if a QB is overrated, it's him . . . because he's one of the most overrated football players to ever play the game.  Threw almost as many picks in his career as he did TDs.  70.9 career passer rating.  84 career fumbles.  Dude made the HOF simply because he had two HOF receivers, a HOF running back, a HOF center, and an all-time defense filled with HOFers.

• Like 7

If I were you, I'd listen carefully to what Bradshaw has to say because if there's anyone on the planet who knows if a QB is overrated, it's him . . . because he's one of the most overrated football players to ever play the game.  Threw almost as many picks in his career as he did TDs.  70.9 career passer rating.  84 career fumbles.  Dude made the HOF simply because he had two HOF receivers, a HOF running back, a HOF center, and an all-time defense filled with HOFers.

Fuck him for shitting on Sam. But the NFL was a different game in the 70’s and 80’s. Swann being in the HOF is more of a joke than Bradshaw.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Glad to hear they’re changing up Roschon’s mechanics. He definitely needs to make some changes. If he can improve his mechanics, he’ll be the clear lead dog to take over in 2021.

You know it’s the offseason because we’re hearing positive reports about Taquon Graham.  Nobody in the Big 12 is scared of him. He was pretty terrible last year. I don’t care if he looks good in pads or can squat a metric shit ton, he absolutely disappears when the lights come on. He stands up straight and gets washed out of the play way too often. I’ll believe Graham’s improved when I actually see it in a game, but if this defense wants to have a chance at being elite, one of the young guys needs to beat Graham out early in the year.

Are there not lights in the Superdome? Graham whipped Georgia's ass in the Sugar Bowl in admittedly limited snaps. He was collapsing the pocket by shoving Georgia OL 4 yards into the backfield, he controlled his blocker and forced a fumble, and those were his first two snaps. He had a really good game and if referees called holding anymore it would have been a great game. He did well at disengaging the blockers with his shoulders square to the line, it's just that in modern football the OL are allowed to continue holding onto the DL's pads with an outstretched arm even after he disengages. Like on this play where he eventually spins and yanks Graham to the ground:

1:00:40 if it doesn't go to the right spot

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Fuck him for shitting on Sam. But the NFL was a different game in the 70’s and 80’s. Swann being in the HOF is more of a joke than Bradshaw.

Yeah it's a different game but he was never better than maybe the 5th best QB in the league. That's not a Hall of Fame career. When you have to sit and think about whether a QB was better than Ken Anderson he probably shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

47 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah it's a different game but he was never better than maybe the 5th best QB in the league. That's not a Hall of Fame career. When you have to sit and think about whether a QB was better than Ken Anderson he probably shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame.

Maybe. Certainly based on a question of his ability compared to that of his peers, he doesn't deserve to be there. But sometimes, a Hall of Fame career is the result of an accident of time and space. He was the quarterback for arguably the most dynastic football team since the merger of the NFL and AFL up to that point. He was definitely luckier than good, but sometimes that's all it takes.

28 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Fuck him. He should never have won the Super Bowl in 1979 because Renfro caught the call for a TD.

That would have tied the game with all of the 4th quarter remaining; Oilers pretty much got our asses kicked that entire day offensively except for two drives.  Earl ran for less than 20 yards and Pastorini completed a total of 4 passes to WRs...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Are there not lights in the Superdome? Graham whipped Georgia's ass in the Sugar Bowl in admittedly limited snaps. He was collapsing the pocket by shoving Georgia OL 4 yards into the backfield, he controlled his blocker and forced a fumble, and those were his first two snaps. He had a really good game and if referees called holding anymore it would have been a great game. He did well at disengaging the blockers with his shoulders square to the line, it's just that in modern football the OL are allowed to continue holding onto the DL's pads with an outstretched arm even after he disengages. Like on this play where he eventually spins and yanks Graham to the ground:

Burt went katfid and got Bimage and Graham confused. Bimage is the all world squatter.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

1:00:40 if it doesn't go to the right spot

The Sugar Bowl was probably his best game of the season, but there were still way too many games where he was getting easily washed out and not making any plays. I remember he had a really rough game against WVU and there were a couple other games too where he was a net negative. 

My point is, he gets talked up every offseason as a guy who will make a huge impact and he's yet to come close to doing it.  He had like 9 tackles for the entire season last year with 0 QB pressures. Ian Boyd saying other Big 12 teams are worried about Graham next year doesn't add up with what he actually did on the field. 

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Burt went katfid and got Bimage and Graham confused. Bimage is the all world squatter.

Wrong as usual. I know Bimage and Cosmi squat the most on the team, but Graham's often cited as being in the top group of guys on the team.  Yet, most of the time his play doesn't show it because he's content to stand straight up and mirror the OL. 

4 hours ago, Eggo said:

Oh wonderful motherfucking OU is the benchmark now. 

Wells and Nahlin always step on their own dicks. "where are all these guys going to play?" then they go on to tell us about all the guys coming back from injury. Just last year we were all nervous about having to play Chris Brown and he balled out, we did not have a good nickel back till the end of season when Foster stepped in. They have a lot of positive news but they get cute and ruin it. 

Back to watching Team USA beat the shit out of France if our coach stays out of the way.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Wells and Nahlin always step on their own dicks. "where are all these guys going to play?" then they go on to tell us about all the guys coming back from injury. Just last year we were all nervous about having to play Chris Brown and he balled out, we did not have a good nickel back till the end of season when Foster stepped in. They have a lot of positive news but they get cute and ruin it.  

Back to watching Team USA beat the shit out of France if our coach stays out of the way. 

giphy.gif

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, Bradshaw was the QB for the NFL's All-Decade team and four-time Super Bowl champ. Staubach probably is the pick if he beats the Steelers just once. I'd say that's deserving of a yellow HOF jacket. Overrated? Perhaps a little. There are 28 HOF QB's at this moment. Here are their career QBR numbers:

• Steve Young 96.81
  • Kurt Warner 93.70
  • Joe Montana 92.26
  • Dan Marino 86.38
  • Brett Favre 86.00
  • Jim Kelly 84.39
  • Roger Staubach 83.42
  • Sonny Jurgensen 82.62
  • Len Dawson 82.56
  • Troy Aikman 81.62
  • Warren Moon 80.90
  • Bart Starr 80.47
  • Fran Tarkenton 80.35
  • Dan Fouts 80.23
  • John Elway 79.86
  • Johnny Unitas 78.20
  • Otto Graham 78.17
  • Bob Griese 77.14
  • Ken Stabler 75.3
  • Norm Van Brocklin 75.07
  • Sid Luckman 75.01
  • Y.A. Tittle 73.65
  • Sammy Baugh 72.21
  • Terry Bradshaw 70.92
  • Joe Namath 65.46
  • Bobby Layne 63.38
  • Bob Waterfield 61.58
  • George Blanda 60.65

27 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Well, Bradshaw was the QB for the NFL's All-Decade team and four-time Super Bowl champ. Staubach probably is the pick if he beats the Steelers just once. I'd say that's deserving of a yellow HOF jacket. Overrated? Perhaps a little. There are 28 HOF QB's at this moment. Here are their career QBR numbers:

• Steve Young 96.81
  • Kurt Warner 93.70
  • Joe Montana 92.26
  • Dan Marino 86.38
  • Brett Favre 86.00
  • Jim Kelly 84.39
  • Roger Staubach 83.42
  • Sonny Jurgensen 82.62
  • Len Dawson 82.56
  • Troy Aikman 81.62
  • Warren Moon 80.90
  • Bart Starr 80.47
  • Fran Tarkenton 80.35
  • Dan Fouts 80.23
  • John Elway 79.86
  • Johnny Unitas 78.20
  • Otto Graham 78.17
  • Bob Griese 77.14
  • Ken Stabler 75.3
  • Norm Van Brocklin 75.07
  • Sid Luckman 75.01
  • Y.A. Tittle 73.65
  • Sammy Baugh 72.21
  • Terry Bradshaw 70.92
  • Joe Namath 65.46
  • Bobby Layne 63.38
  • Bob Waterfield 61.58
  • George Blanda 60.65

Sort by IQ and Bradshaw is at the very bottom 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Some of those seem surprising to me, just based on my memory of seeing them play. Dan Fouts being that low, for example, and Brett Favre being that high. Could have sworn Fouts was more, and Favre less, accurate than that. But that's why they keep stats -- eyewitnesses suck.

Accuracy and therefore QBR is definitely impacted by how many years a guy played in the league when defenders could chuck a guy all the way downfield (not just within 5 yards) prior to the ball going in the air.  I think that was 1977 but could be wrong....