Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Love Witt, but I don't think this is great for us unless he's willing to play part-time.  We need a young tight end to get reps.  He should be the 2nd TE.  

On another note, at least we don't have to listen to him on MNF.  So that's a win.

I mean just having his experience to help the young guys is a net positive. I only see this as good 

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Love Witt, but I don't think this is great for us unless he's willing to play part-time.  We need a young tight end to get reps.  He should be the 2nd TE.  

On another note, at least we don't have to listen to him on MNF.  So that's a win.

This. Witten is a Cowboys legend, but this team needs some new blood at TE

A old ass TE who took a year off coming back to stunt the growth of any sort of down the field offense? We have some potential in a few TE's here. I hope we keep developing them and seeing what they got. That is the issue with TEs here. They don't get enough reps in practice and games because of Witten always got it all. Garrett seems desperate because he didn't get that extension so he knows this is it.

But he sucked so bad at announcing so I'm sure ESPN was wanting to move on from him. Shrugs.

5 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

I mean just having his experience to help the young guys is a net positive. I only see this as good 

Meh.  Again, I love the guy, but he'll be 37 after a year off and his athleticism was already in the tank in 2017.  If he's good with limited his snaps but I feel like Garrett is going to demand he get slotted back in and play 60 snaps.  He should be more like a 30 snap guy and we should be drafting a young TE as well.  5 million too.  It's not the end of the world and we'll see what we do with the position but we know Schulz will probably get a roster spot so Swaim may be odd man out plus we need a young move TE.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

1 minute ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Meh.  Again, I love the guy, but he'll be 37 after a year off and his athleticism was already in the tank in 2017.  If he's good with limited his snaps but I feel like Garrett is going to demand he get slotted back in and play 60 snaps.  He should be more like a 30 snap guy and we should be drafting a young TE as well.  5 million too.  It's not the end of the world and we'll see what we do with the position but we know Schulz will probably get a roster spot so Swaim may be odd man out plus we need a young move TE.

I’m certainly not advocating for every snap. But if you think we currently have great answers at TE, we don’t. Our blocking was garbage, and we were running Rico Gathers out there in situations. We didn’t get the TE in the draft we wanted last year, maybe we will this year. If we do, he gets to learn under witten. If we don’t, we are already better than last year at the position. JG better keep this a meritocracy and use Witten accordingly. But I like the idea of some twin TE sets with Witten

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Love Wit..... But not the best use of $5mill

Jrrrry continues to make stupid personnel and contract decisions....

Jarwin and Schulz are dirt cheap right now. Swaim is off the books. Rico may get another camp to prove he's worth keeping, which he's probably not, but still about 1/2 mil salary. They can still draft a TE in the mid to late rounds with the idea of carrying 4 if they feel like it.

17 minutes ago, taybo20 said:

Ummmm what? Witten is all about Witten. No one else. T.O. and Martellus Bennett already spoke on this but people brushed it off because who they are and their rep. He's not going to be helping anyone out. There have been young TE's behind him this whole decade and did they ever develop or learn from him? Nope. That's not how he rolls.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Ummmm what? Witten is all about Witten. No one else. T.O. and Martellus Bennett already spoke on this but people brushed it off because who they are and their rep. He's not going to be helping anyone out. There have been young TE's behind him this whole decade and did they ever develop or learn from him? Nope. That's not how he rolls.

Yes, I definitely trust the evaluations of noted team-oriented players like TO and Bennett.

28 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Not exactly the strongest character witnesses.... I ascribe little value to either of their opinions, but still not crazy about bringing him back.

Edited by Patrick Bateman

26 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Yes, I definitely trust the evaluations of noted team-oriented players like TO and Bennett.

Witten even admitted it himself on his bad radio weekly show. He said every time the Cowboys drafted a tight end early like Bennett and Escobar he saw them as a threat and the only thing he was concerned with was out working them and showing that they shouldn't get any playing time. I seriously doubt he's going to come back now just a mentor a rookie and Blake jarwin

9 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This looks like an answer to the Randy Gregory ordeal to me.   Draft a TE in Rd 4 or 5, again, and use the early 2 picks for DL help.   Could also mean that Collins gets cut for salary cap and Connor gets kicked to RT.    

Caph hit and being better than Connor makes Collins's job safe. This is his contract year. I suspect the Cowboys plan on keeping Williams at guard and beefing him up to the position. He never should have been counted on to start last year.

Adam Sphincter just save the Cowboys 1.5 mil, unless he's full of crap, as he often is.

Witten doesn't come back unless he really thinks the Cowboys have a legit shot in 2019. This is either a good sign about the upcoming season, or a bad sign for Witten's football judgment.

49 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

This is exactly right. If witten is willing to come back and play part-time snaps as a number two or three tight end behind a rookie or jarwin (who came on strong after finally getting some consistent snaps last season) then that would be okay although crazy to spend 5 million on. 

That said we all know that there is zero chance Garrett is going to do that. Garrett is in panic mode knowing without the extension there's a good chance he gets fired if they don't make the NFC title game, so he's going to trot witten out every damn snap and all it'll do is make this bad offense even more conservative. Now on 3rd and 9 plus Dak will have his 5 yard pass and punt.

This is good from a cowboys circus entertainment standpoint but if you actually want the team to win this is a bad thing. It's made it even worse if the Cowboys think they have tight end solved and don't draft one in the top three rounds.