Texas recruiting notes 2019

23 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

LSU's offensive line couldn't block him in the Spring game. Chaisson is the player I'm most upset about missing on in recent years. NFL written all over him. 

In terms of ranking our misses in recent years, Walker Little was a much bigger miss. But yeah, sucks whiffing on Chaisson in the 25th hour. 

27 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

LSU's offensive line couldn't block him in the Spring game. Chaisson is the player I'm most upset about missing on in recent years. NFL written all over him. 

22 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea well it’s not like their oline is good or anything *dies inside*

2 minutes ago, BigBenBamboozle said:

In terms of ranking our misses in recent years, Walker Little was a much bigger miss. But yeah, sucks whiffing on Chaisson in the 25th hour. 

42 minutes ago, UT Lawnghorn said:

l3ol6.gif

1 minute ago, Chrispy said:

Speaking of Wilson, how close is Longhorn94 to the situation? I’m pinning all of my hopes on him, so no pressure. 

Hopefully close enough to offset the buckeye career opportunities for his family in ohio. Someone get Dad a local promotion.

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

LSU is not going to be good in 2018. That isn't schtick and they're headed the wrong way. 

-Their front 7 will be fine and they have the best LB in the SEC.

-Greedy Williams is a stud at one CB spot but they have nothing on the other side and like 3 total on the roster. Delpit's having collar bone surgery and the safeties are going to be "okay".

-They are thin as a leaf of paper on the defensive depth chart.

-If they don't suffer a rash of injuries, they'll be top 30 defensively, largely a function of playing shitty offenses.

-They don't have a QB. They have 3 shitty ones. Brennan is a stick and will probably be murdered in a game if he plays.

-JAGs at TE and OL. 

-TB will be solid, but losing Guice and the stud backup will be a problem that LSU hasn't had in over a decade.

-The WRs will be talented, but underutilized. It's the LSU way. 

-The schedule includes 4 automatic losses in Georgia, Miami, Bama, and Auburn. Florida, MSU, and Arkansas aren't gimmes. ATM, Rice. SE LA, La Tech, and Ole Miss ensure a modicum of 5 wins.

-Numerous coaches are unhappy coaching under mushmouth and he's a micromanaging idiot.

-The state and school are cash poor. They won't be able to afford the buyout for dufus.

-O may legitimately leave Baton Rouge someday with LSU in smoking ruin. 

This all bodes well for any team putting in work in the recruitment of LA players.

Would you say LSU will gargle your balls? 

Seriously though, I’m bearish as hell on LSU. Their offense is going to be doing a lot of gargling and their head coach has an IQ somewhere between Forrest Gump and Corky from Life Goes On. 

Edited by Newy25

8 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The Makiya Tongue guy is going to be a fucking bad ass in college and Texas is all over him. He lacks strong allegiances with LSU anyway. 

Just watched his hudl and agree.  Would have liked to seen more defensive highlights but he plays fast and physical.

50 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

I don’t see a single coach on that roster I would want over ours at the same position, if you figure that aranda will be a HC soon.

I'd take Corey Raymond in a heart beat if we didn't have JWash or Naivar. Maybe some here would prefer having Orgeron as a dline coach over Giles, since Orgeron is one of the best recruiters in the country when he isn't the head coach. 

17 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I'd take Corey Raymond in a heart beat if we didn't have JWash or Naivar. Maybe some here would prefer having Orgeron as a dline coach over Giles, since Orgeron is one of the best recruiters in the country when he isn't the head coach. 

Raymond being the same guy overseeing the personnel shit show they have now?

Edited by Vertigo

3 hours ago, RabidM said:

It's a really big buyout, but if they want him gone badly enough, their boosters will pony up the cash.  I doubt they have to pay him the entire balance within 60 days like aggie and Sumlin. They'll probably be able to pay it off over the course of years... which eases the burden considerably. 

I don't know why they guaranteed coach O. a fucking penny. He seemed desperate for the head  job and probably would have gladly taken it on a year to year basis. I think his ego is as big as his belly. It's not like schools would be kicking his door in to offer him a better job. Possibly outside a few other secsecsec schools, what other big time schools would take him as the head man?

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Other than Tongue, what other Louisiana recruits might listen to Texas?

I think Kardell Thomas is full of it. Stingley and Christian Harris appear to be long shots. 

We should probably put a call into Ray Parker.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ray-Parker-46047319

19 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Raymond being the same guy overseeing the personnel shit show they have now?

Raymond has been an elite coach and recruiter for many years. 

Frankly, I'd love to have a coach that can recruit the Louisiana area with ease. There's so much talent in that state. 

I don't want to add more fuel to dynamite to the thread derailment, but i feel that I have to.  LSU fan's justification for hiring Oeaux is completely insane/delusional. Every SEC fanbase has a little Aggy in 'em. 

Actual quotes from LSU graduates:

"Ed really wanted the job. It's his dream job. We couldn't pass the go over twice." 

"Ed is just really there to recruit and motivate. His assistants and coordinators do all the coaching."

"We saved money hiring Ed, so we could keep Aranda and hire Canada." (how's that working out?) 

"Troy is a really good team. They recruit the Alabama kids that don't go to Bama or Auburn." 

Their BFS is on another level than ours. They're ECSTATIC when they "hang" with Bama. The losing streak is currently at 7 with no end in sight. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

To be clear, this isn’t a thread derailment. LSU’s outlook and performance in Louisiana is directly relevant to our interests. The more informed the board is, the better clarity we have in thinking about odds and how things will unfold over the course of the recruiting cycle. Texas and LSU have major recruiting map overlap. 

And yes, as a collective, LSU people may be the dumbest set of clowns I’ve ever encountered. I stopped allowing the hiring of one group of grads and one group of grads only in the things I am involved with, and that group is LSU grads. People graduating with a college degree from LSU have the equivalent of a Texas HS degree and probably aren’t as bright as the average THS grad. I’ve had over 20 of them work on teams and every one of them failed to hang for more than 12 months. They’re just a bunch of dumbasses.  

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

To be clear, this isn’t a thread derailment. LSU’s outlook and performance in Louisiana is directly relevant to our interests. The more informed the board is, the better clarity we have in thinking about odds and how things will unfold over the course of the recruiting cycle. Texas and LSU have major recruiting map overlap. 

And yes, as a collective, LSU people may be the dumbest set of clowns I’ve ever encountered. I stopped allowing the hiring of one group of grads and one group of grads only in the things I am involved with, and that group is LSU grads. People graduating with a college degree from LSU have the equivalent of a Texas HS degree and probably aren’t as bright as the average THS grad. I’ve had over 20 of them work on teams and every one of them failed to hang for more than 12 months. They’re just a bunch of dumbasses.  

You can't truly be a LSU fan if you've never defended the academic reputation of the school. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

EJ after dark: Texas sees A&M commit

— We were told to keep it quiet, but it’s now out in the open. Yes, Texas safeties coach Craig Naivar stopped by Waxahachie and checked in on Texas A&M commit Demani Richardson. The Longhorns are still working on Richardson and pushing to get him on campus at some point this offseason. Remember, Richardson was high on UT before giving the Aggies a verbal pledge. Naivar also stopped by Trinity Christian Cedar Hill to see Lewis Cine as we reported he would last night.

— Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck was out in Arizona today and saw five-star Saguaro (AZ) cornerback Kelee Ringo. As we reported, Beck and the Longhorns extended an offer to Ringo, who is ranked as the nation’s top corner in 2020. Beck actually used to be the head coach at Saguaro, so there is a connection there. Expect the Longhorns to continue to recruit Arizona hard.

— Texas running backs coach Stan Drayton made his way out to West Texas to see Amarillo Tascosa running back King Doerue. UT has yet to offer Doerue, but he is definitely a prospect on the radar. Doerue is an explosive back and one of the better in-state ball carriers in a down year at the position. The three-star prospect holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas Tech and others.

— Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand was in the Houston-area and saw rising 2020 Fort Bend Kempner offensive lineman Akinola Ogunbiyi. He holds an early offer from Texas A&M and is certainly a prospect to know. Ogunbiyi attended the Texas spring game over the weekend.

E.J. Holland: PNG/Cedar Hill/DeSoto practice notes

— Roschon Johnson is 100 percent committed to Texas and has completely shut down his recruitment. Johnson isn't necessarily a vocal kid, but he is helping the Longhorns recruit behind the scenes. Johnson mentioned that Tyler Johnson, Branson Bragg, Javonne Shepherd, Garrett Wilson and Jake Smith are some of the guys he's been working on the most.

— Johnson is up to 6-2, 210 and has been working extremely hard in the weight room. The dude has really bulked up this offseason, and it showed on the field. Johnson already had a strong arm, but it's even stronger. He can absolutely sling it. Johnson didn't run much at practice today, but he's electric with the ball in his hands, and his coach said he's gotten faster over the last several months as well.

— While Johnson has a cannon, he still has some work to do from a mechanical standpoint. He underthrew a couple of receivers and didn't use his legs much when throwing deep. He also needs to work on his touch. With that said, there is a lot to like about Johnson and his future. For him, it's all going to come down to how Tim Beck/Tom Herman develop him as a true passer. But there is no doubting his athleticism and ceiling.

— I was very impressed with rising 2020 offensive tackle Jaylen Garth. This is a guy that was 6-2, 250 to start last season and is now 6-4, 290. He is still extremely raw, but he practiced with a mean streak and looked extremely explosive for an offensive lineman. Garth is still adding strength and growing into his frame but man, this guy can turn into a monster. Texas A&M already offered, and it wouldn't be surprising to see UT jump in as well.

— Texas is still searching for defensive linemen in the 2019 class, and the Longhorns are taking a look at rising Cedar Hill product Xavier Ross. A three-star prospect, Ross holds offers from FIU, Oklahoma State and Purdue. He needs to improve his motor, but he definitely has size and potential. Ross visited Texas earlier this offseason and is keeping in contact with Oscar Giles, who will see him next week.

— Texas is also making an early evaluation of rising 2020 Cedar Hill athlete Quin Bright. He has legit speed and is an important part of Cedar Hill's tract team. Bright played a little bit of everything for Cedar Hill last season, but he would be an ideal fit at slot receiver at Texas. Bright can obviously fly, and he's also shifty but size is a bit of a concern. He has early offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado and Oklahoma State. He visited Texas earlier this offseason.

— DeSoto has some talented prospects in the 2020 class, including cornerback Jabbar Muhammad and wide receiver Lawrence Arnold. Muhammad is a bit on the short side, but he has great speed and technique and is one to watch. Muhammad has early offers from Colorado, Oklahoma State, Oregon State and Tulsa. Arnold is a tall wide out at 6-3 and has offers in hand from Colorado and Purdue.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, satyanash said:

— We were told to keep it quiet, but it’s now out in the open.

Once again, Brainiacs spills info that wasn't supposed to be public. It probably didn't matter much here, but this recruitment would have been much easier for our staff if it had been on the down low. I get that someone from Richardson's side is giving this info, but Brainiaics continuously posting "Demani will visit at some point" only makes A&M defend their turf harder. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Fud said:

Once again, Brainiacs spills info that wasn't supposed to be public. It probably didn't matter much here, but this recruitment would have been much easier for our staff if it had been on the down low. I get that someone from Richardson's side is giving this info, but Brainiaics continuously posting "Demani will visit at some point" only makes A&M defend their turf harder. 

Jimbo and his staff know recruiting, I have to think they don't need TFB to tell them Demani still has some interest in UT. That said, spilling direct info like specific coach visits is annoying.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Jimbo and his staff know recruiting, I have to think they don't need TFB to tell them Demani still has some interest in UT. That said, spilling direct info like specific coach visits is annoying.

It might not be a difference maker in whether or not he actually makes visits, but it doesn't help our cause, so I'm not a fan of it 

46 minutes ago, Fud said:

@OnAComputer, what say you?

56 minutes ago, texifornia said:

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

It might not be a difference maker in whether or not he actually makes visits, but it doesn't help our cause, so I'm not a fan of it 

I felt the same way, but apparently A&M was there to try to counter our efforts.  I don't care how it plays out as long as he visits and keeps an open mind.  Seems like the only people it's a secret to is us.

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I don't want to add more fuel to dynamite to the thread derailment, but i feel that I have to.  LSU fan's justification for hiring Oeaux is completely insane/delusional. Every SEC fanbase has a little Aggy in 'em. 

Actual quotes from LSU graduates:

"Ed really wanted the job. It's his dream job. We couldn't pass the go over twice." 

"Ed is just really there to recruit and motivate. His assistants and coordinators do all the coaching."

"We saved money hiring Ed, so we could keep Aranda and hire Canada." (how's that working out?) 

"Troy is a really good team. They recruit the Alabama kids that don't go to Bama or Auburn." 

Their BFS is on another level than ours. They're ECSTATIC when they "hang" with Bama. The losing streak is currently at 7 with no end in sight. 

Those quotes feel like LSU delusional justification from 2 years ago, not anything anyone would say recently. Fuck, there was a message board flame effort at the end of the season to have Orgeron canned and elevate Arranda to keep him away from aTm. The point is, that feels dated and not relevant at all, seeing how Canada is already, and LSU fans are already dying for a way to get rid of Peppermint Patty's teacher. 

15 hours ago, closetojumping said:

We aren't saying anything different from one another. You quoted stats to support my position. He'll post a top 30 defense. He doesn't have the dogs for a top 15 defense this year as a starting point, and I'm not looking to split hairs and predict some specific random number inside of 30. 

Beyond that, if you think they're going to be on the field the entire fucking game because the offense will suck, that impairs the premise of elevating much inside of top 30. The depth issue can also not be swept away. LSU's 2018 defensive depth is worse heading into the season than UT's 2017 offensive line depth. There is nothing behind most of the starting 11 and 3 of the starting 11 are flat out suspect. 

Also, they could very well quit at some point after watching the offense bumblefuck around for several games.  We've seen that first hand.

Edited by kevwun