Texas recruiting notes 2019

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Mordecai is a pretty good player, but there is nothing dynamic about him. He has a little mobility and pretty good accuracy, but he's not Baker Mayfield or Kyler Murray. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes, but he doesn't scare me at all, either.

I thought Super K still had "Riley working on it" in regards to murray staying at OU.

Would be stupid but the kid isn't smart so...

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Straight line speed wasn't Anthony Wheeler's problem, either.

Wheeler was incredibly stiff & slow to react. Though he was still solid all year. I think Deles experience and growth in the off season gives him an advantage in the middle. I love all the competition at inside LB.

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It could happen. Herman's job is to recruit a player better than you ever year. The player's job is too prove him wrong. LB depth chart will be young and inexperienced, but plenty talented.

ILB - Dele, Overshown, Johnson, Floyd, Tillman, and Gbenda

BLB - McCulloch, Ossai, Hobbs

Personally I thinking the starters coming out of spring will be

MAC - Dele

ROV - Overshown

B - Ossai

I think Caleb Johnson will grab that Rover spot while Overshown is figuring out if he's a safety or a LB. 

Ossai has B backer locked down. 

I think The Shark will get a long look at MAC. He can't rush the passer, so they have to move him inside. Floyd will push him, but it's hard for me to have him starting over a junior. 

1 minute ago, CastHorn said:

Wheeler was incredibly stiff & slow to react. Though he was still solid all year. I think Deles experience and growth in the off season gives him an advantage in the middle. I love all the competition at inside LB.

Stiffness is AA's issue was well

(phrasing)

6 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We should be so lucky to have Dele, as depth, as good a player as Wheeler.

Yeah don't really see a Wheeler 2.0 as such a damning insult.  If Herman recruits past him on the depth chart great, but seeing as how much Wheeler played that seems easier said than done.  It's hard to find LBs that aren't a liability against big 12 teams.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So it'll either be Spencer "Bangin' in the Boys Room" Rattler or Old Testament Prophet Tanner Mordecai starting at QB for OU. A true freshman or a redshirt freshman against Sam. Yeah, I like our chances. 

OU is replacing guys and then some at the skill positions, but those OL don't grow on trees. OU's OL will always be good with Bedenbaugh there, but they won't be 2018 good. 

Austin Kendall?

43 minutes ago, CastHorn said:

Word from who bitch. Dele hasn’t been passed by no one yet. Spring ball is months away.

Look, I hope Dele becomes an All American and I think everyone else does as well. You shouldn't get frustrated with a poster passing on info when he has a track record of having solid info and he's showing no other agenda than being active in the discussion here. Fud's drier, more matter of fact and less dramatic than I'd like, but he's got his shit together as a poster and deserves better than being called a "bitch" for passing a data point on. You can disagree and still account for helpful accumulation of data around any subject. 

That all said, since it has come up, I've been sitting on this for a while, as has Sydney, but to concur with Fud, Dele is the slowest guy on the team not playing OL or DL. His upside is special teams and being a between the tackles thumper in running situations. I'm hopeful on being wrong, but it's not a bad roster fit for Texas if what we've heard is proven out.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Look, I hope Dele becomes an All American and I think everyone else does as well. You shouldn't get frustrated with a poster passing on info when he has a track record of having solid info and he's showing no other agenda than being active in the discussion here. Fud's drier, more matter of fact and less dramatic than I'd like, but he's got his shit together as a poster and deserves better than being called a "bitch" for passing a data point on. You can disagree and still account for helpful accumulation of data around any subject. 

That all said, since it has come up, I've been sitting on this for a while, as has Sydney, but to concur with Fud, Dele is the slowest guy on the team not playing OL or DL. His upside is special teams and being a between the tackles thumper in running situations. I'm hopeful on being wrong, but it's not a bad roster fit for Texas if what we've heard is proven out.

Just once I want him to sign off a post with, "And go fuck your fucking mother, bitches." 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Yikes.

I mean - I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised - ESPN had his 40 time listed as a 4.98.

Assuming Herman wasn't just outright lying - I'm guessing it takes that big sum'bitch 20+ yards to really get moving.  Not ideal for a LB (or anyone really).

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In all fairness, I would expect your MLB type to be near the top of that next slowest group, along with QB (sometimes), TEs, and Kicker/Punter.  It's not as damning as it might seem.  I would thoroughly expect our RBs and WRs to be faster than him.  I'm not trying to say he will be a good player for the Horns, but another factor at LB to evaluate is reaction time to a read.  Malik Jefferson could have outrun 90% of the roster, but his slow reactions to the play developing resulted in him catching a lot of blocks.  

As I said, he might be Demarco Boyd.  He might be Anthony Wheeler.  I just don't think it's safe to write him off just yet.

• Like 4

I think there's value in taking a guy like Dele every two or three cycles to maintain roster flexibility for the LSU and Georgias of the world. Obviously we want to land guys like Floyd who can play (eventually) three downs against any team in the country, but those guys don't come along that often.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Quit sitting on info

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

So assuming that's true, how does that happen? Guy goes to camps, coaches watch film, see them workout, and everything is recorded.

Then guy shows up and it's "oops, this guy is slower than offensive tackles. Guess, he'll just ride the bench."

He still fills a useful role and we badly needed LB numbers. There you go.

29 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I believe he was - but that might have been because Lincoln didn't want a true freshman as his primary backup? 

FWIW, Mordecai kind of reminds me of Rhett Bomar. Not saying he'll be a bust like Bomar was, but again, he isn't a scary player. And his dad seems like a bit of an entitled dumbass.

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Yikes.

I mean - I guess we shouldn't be all that surprised - ESPN had his 40 time listed as a 4.98.

Assuming Herman wasn't just outright lying - I'm guessing it takes that big sum'bitch 20+ yards to really get moving.  Not ideal for a LB (or anyone really).

MLB is the guy that can be disguised the most from a speed or coverage standpoint on the defense. If Dele is a pipe hitting mother fucker between the tackles with good IQ and instincts, then he can be an enforcer even in a league like the B12. That gets complicated when we run 2 LB sets, which Orlando likes to do. A big piece of Dele's usefulness long term will be determined by how the defense unfolds around him. If Ossai and or Overshown turns into a stud at B Backer or Joker respectively (which I think they will), then I could see Orlando trying to keep a true MLB on the field most of the time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

He was much highly ranked. This is a guy that started the year in the top 50 prospects.  Had committable offers from bama, osu, Texas all with a bunch of others.  Barton Simmons saw him in a camp.  Washington was injured but still participated and still won WR MVP at the camp.  Barton dropped him like 400 spots after the camp.  

This is why these guys work shitty jobs as recruiting analysts and not for recruiting staffs for actual schools.  They have no idea how to evaluate players.  Saban, Meyer, Herman all thought this guy was worthy of an offer but Barton Simmons dumbass takes one camp and drops him bc he didn’t like his speed in the drills lmao.  

https://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Marcus-Washington-at-Trinity-Catholic-185929/RecruitRankHistory/?history=top247

His ranking history. Dropped 43 spots in February, then 476 spots in July. He continued to fall throughout the season. 247 didn't have him in the top 500 for a long time and still has him as a three star recruit in their rankings. 

So assuming that's true, how does that happen? Guy goes to camps, coaches watch film, see them workout, and everything is recorded.
Then guy shows up and it's "oops, this guy is slower than offensive tackles. Guess, he'll just ride the bench."

The staff prioritized size at ILB for the 2018 class after seeing Malik sometimes get pushed around a bit, then saw how Wheeler could not stay with receivers from the Big 12 spread offenses, and how even Johnson with his elite speed could barely keep up.

They then realized they needed more speed at several positions, with the LB spots being the highest priority. The thing I can’t figure out is why Overshown isn’t excited to thrive next year at rover and is considering transferring. He’s got the speed they want.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's more than just 2019 stuff in this update, but I'm not being paid to post, so I'm dumping it all here and you guys can do with it/disseminate it/ignore it as you like.

Regarding the UA guys, from someone with inherent knowledge:

-Washington - going to be a major player at the next level. He doesn't have a "one thing" that makes you say wow, but he's the overall package who can be a standout in college. Guys like Barton Simmons are always looking for the one thing, because they're clowns, and coaches that can evaluate can usually find the guys that do it all better than average, and when put together, are elite overall as a result.

-Gbenda - smart fucking player. Ceiling is at least All Big 12 in CFB. The team didn't have enough guys on the field for protecting a kick during the game, and without prompting, Gbenda sees this and runs onto the field and lines up to support the team. He wasn't on the field goal unit. He has a big wing span, which is a good sign at backer. The rumors of him being a flake during the recruitment are true in that he does his own thing and doesn't give a fuck about anyone's opinion, but it's mostly in the "I know where I'm headed" kind of way, which actually gives you the expectation that he'll be more steadfast as a teammate and player in college. 

-Johnson - between the ears, the best player on the field. A leader that causes others to shut the fuck up when he speaks, he runs the huddle and the team he's on. He's all arm mechanically, and that won't be good enough in college. No big deal. Proper QB coaching will help him use his core and hips, which will suddenly make him look like he has a whip. This was an original part of the understanding with him when he was recruited, but it's something that 24/7 marked him down for a year ago, and Rivals is now whining about after this week. 

-Liebrock - way thicker on the bottom than previously thought. He'll carry 250 in college without any loss in quickness or speed. Tough forum for him to excel in, but looks like he could be a stud in a good system in college. Smart player. 

-Watson - had a hamstring problem that limited during the week, but it is clear he has everything you want at CB. He will compete to start as a freshman. Underrated recruit after watching him up close. 

Other shit:

-Jake Smith - high prima donna risk, per coaches who he grew up and played around. He begged off from the game because ... he didn't feel like playing. Don't shoot the messenger and this could prove to be bullshit once he's on campus. Just a data point to layer in to your thinking. 

-Speaking of Arizona boys, Spenser Rattler is basically Jameis Winston, at least maturity-wise. Might not be a problem at OU, but Riley isn't looking to run a fucking nuthouse. The fucking in the boys room thing is one of a number of data points that have given evaluators pause. On the field, he's probably the best QB in this class, or close to that. They're going to have to basically have guys around him if he winds up in the spotlight. 

Texas remaining outlook for 2019 class:

-The North Shore DB, since the word is out, is high on the board. No clue if he's interested, but if he is, expect him to visit. Texas does what you want good staffs to do in that they keep evaluating. They're not going to offer to just to offer to fill a spot. They think he's a player.

-They're getting another OL. 

-28 is the total expectation. 

Other schools' recruits:

-Calzada - dude was tiny as a sophomore and on the JV. He grew 4-5 inches and added 40 pounds before his junior year. He's a better athlete than he gets credit for, and he has a fucking cannon. He has Ivy League grades and scores. Terrible arm accuracy even with okay mechanics. On the field, he's currently an idiot. If they can harness him mentality into being a stable thinker on the field, and if can find some accuracy, this will be a take that we mocked that pays off for ATM. Higher odds are in him being nothing special and a back-up, but as far as lottery tickets in a bad QB class, this one isn't the worst. 

-Alabama - Every fucking Bama player at the UA AA game is a fucking dawg. This is their best class yet.

-Thibodeaux - Not quite going to be Clowney, but the hype is legit.

-The OU players are good. Not daunting, but good. Wease is a stud and a motherfucker. Morris looks like a great take. Wete looks "fine".

-Jerrion Ealy - he's going to be a high draft pick and will probably never play CFB. If he does, he's the second coming of Peter Warrick.

-Cain - he will move the chains, but the build up for him over time was not merited. Plenty of solid backs that have comparable skills and size and got less attention.

2020 Guys and Beyond:

-Card is legitimately good. He's going to be wiry, but he doesn't look fragile.

-Cooper is fucking good, but he's not on the same level as Waddle or R Moore. Not knocking him, just calibrating.

-Lindberg's first time against this caliber of guys was a learning experience. He's got the tools and is a take.

Non-UA shit:

-Texas will take a smaller class in 2020, much to my chagrin. In the teens. The flip is that, if they're right that this is all they can take, they're doing a good job of retaining players and building a roster for the long haul.

-2020 will be a small OL and DL class accordingly. Smaller than we'd like on this board, if they close 2019 well. Majors will go elsewhere in part because of this. 

-They'll still take multiple backs. The AZ offer is bizarre because Evans, McGowan, Jordan, and Cooper are all guys that could wind up being in the class. The state of Texas is loaded at TB and they're in good shape with Cooper.

-They look really, really good on west coast talent in 2020. They also need to take Texas players. It's going to be an interesting dance. 

-Pretty much impossible to find a CB that could get into grad school at Texas and push for playing time. OL is another story. 

-Whittington will be a hybrid getting handoffs and playing slot.

-Kardell Thomas is 50+ pounds heavier than when rated and looks like a total flop. 

-The fatty going to OU on the OL was a guy that had to be subbed for at Allen on passing plays because he couldn't get his assignments right, and now he's also a fat ass. 

-OU is evaluating and recruiting akin to Chuckles. Plenty of talent coming in, but the roster mix and character types will be interesting to watch develop. 

-If LJH isn't scared of the piss test, he's determined to come back to Texas. The piss test risk is a big deal to him. 

-Texas fucking loves the last class and guys they redshirted. Some guys they're not hyping at all because of recruiting purposes, but at least one mom from the twitterverse should be excited about her son's future. 

-They expect Thompson back. Buechele is heading to SMU.

-Christian Jones is one year away from being ready to be a stud at OT. 

Sounds good to me!

-Texas fucking loves the last class and guys they redshirted. Some guys they're not hyping at all because of recruiting purposes, but at least one mom from the twitterverse should be excited about her son's future. 

Fuck yes if this is who we all assume it is.

Also, who's the North Shore DB? Can't think of who that is at all.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Love 9.95ers accuracy.... "OrangeBloods saying a rumor they've heard this week is QB Shane Buechele is looking at transferring to SMU for his final year of eligibility."

Dumbasses.... Shane has 2 years of eligibility remaining due to Redshirting this Season....

Doesnt that depend on where he transfers?  

If he goes down a level (D2, D3 or JUCO), he can play right away with 2 years left

If he transfers to a division 1 program, he still has to sit for year giving him one year left to play out of 5 yrs

or am I ate up?

Just now, Soldierhorn said:

If he goes down a level (D2, D3 or JUCO), he can play right away with 2 years left

If he transfers to a division 1 program, he still has to sit for year giving him one year left to play out of 5 yrs

or am I ate up?

He's a grad transfer - he can play right away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soldierhorn said:

or am I ate up?

Edit: someone already posted it.

Edited by RabidM