Joe Flacco traded to the Denver Broncos

Machinator

6 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Is Joe Flacco a elite quarterback?

“Game Manager” at best, but then again so was Peyton Manning the year he won the Super Bowl with the Broncos  

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He was nails during the playoff run that won them a superbowl, so he at least had that.  The rest of his career he pretty muched sucked.

The 2nd time the Ravens won the Super Bowl with a game manager. 

10 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

Not much in the way of compensation.

Almost all of those playoff wins came early in his career. Since his Super Bowl run he had, where he played above his normal level of play, he hasn't did much. I think he's only been to the playoffs once since then. Won a wild card game against the Steelers. Plus, he will be nearing 35 once this season gets started. That's about fair market value for a QB like Flacco. 

42 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Any info on how having salaries of both Keenum & Flacco will effect the Broncos??

Might still be another 2019 QB trade ahead for Broncos maybe......

They make basically the same.  Denver would love to trade Keenum because he has about 7 million guaranteed with another 2 million in bonus that Denver would eat.  The tough part is what team thinks he’s worth 18 million????

https://overthecap.com/player/case-keenum/1651/

Edited by Patrick Bateman
Updating with link.

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

This thread made me realize I’m old and I don’t pay very close attention to the NFL, because I still think of Flacco and Matt Ryan as young-ish QBs.  Was shocked that he’s 35 and been in the league that long.   

I think all the years when Texas sucked at football made me check out in general so everything football related between 2009 and now is just a blur.

HaHa....

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

19 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

Elway went for a serious QB once--Peyton. Ever since, he's been trying to just get by with marginal prospects or marginal vets. It seems bizarre at this point.

It is easy to wonder if there may in fact be just a little jealousy involved. Elway is of the age where ones legacy starts coming into play in their decision making. Just listen to MJ talk during the run up to the NBA all star game. He simply can’t stop talking about his six championships whenever Golden States run comes up.

I think to a degree this applies to Elway. Sure, Elway wants to win. But I believe it would hurt him inside to have a QB more beloved by the Denver fans then he was/is. And even more difficult to have one become more successful. And I still believe the Denver love for Tebow’s dumb ass, though misguided, bothered him.

Manning on the other hand was a little different, He was already a name before he arrived and was a short term guy. No fear of him dethroning Elway. Someone young? I think that may be a different story line.

3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

It is easy to wonder if there may in fact be just a little jealousy involved. Elway is of the age where ones legacy starts coming into play in their decision making. Just listen to MJ talk during the run up to the NBA all star game. He simply can’t stop talking about his six championships whenever Golden States run comes up.

I think to a degree this applies to Elway. Sure, Elway wants to win. But I believe it would hurt him inside to have a QB more beloved by the Denver fans then he was/is. And even more difficult to have one become more successful. And I still believe the Denver love for Tebow’s dumb ass, though misguided, bothered him.

Manning on the other hand was a little different, He was already a name before he arrived and was a short term guy. No fear of him dethroning Elway. Someone young? I think that may be a different story line.

Good discussion. I've wondered that from time to time. 

On 2/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, Tired Horn said:

Elway went for a serious QB once--Peyton. Ever since, he's been trying to just get by with marginal prospects or marginal vets. It seems bizarre at this point.

Had Manning not had that injury, he would have finished his career with the Colts. Who knows where Andrew Luck would have ended up. Broncos that season had Tim Tebow. But Elway was pretty vocal about not wanting to commit to him long term. Peyton Manning fell into his lap. Manning still had a lot left on the tires at that time. He wasn't some washed out vet at that point.

It's not like that is going to happen but once in a blue moon. You can't win without a QB in this league and teams just aren't going to get rid of any worth a damn. How many teams have a lot of success with free agent QBs? Manning was one but his was a special type circumstance. Nick Foles was a free agent, too but he was also a special type circumstance as he was the backup and they did not sign him back to be the starter.

Elway has tried through the draft but none of them worked out. That is where he is going to have to find the next franchise QB. It isn't going to be this method.

6 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Had Manning not had that injury, he would have finished his career with the Colts. Who knows where Andrew Luck would have ended up. Broncos that season had Tim Tebow. But Elway was pretty vocal about not wanting to commit to him long term. Peyton Manning fell into his lap. Manning still had a lot left on the tires at that time. He wasn't some washed out vet at that point.

It's not like that is going to happen but once in a blue moon. You can't win without a QB in this league and teams just aren't going to get rid of any worth a damn. How many teams have a lot of success with free agent QBs? Manning was one but his was a special type circumstance. Nick Foles was a free agent, too but he was also a special type circumstance as he was the backup and they did not sign him back to be the starter.

Elway has tried through the draft but none of them worked out. That is where he is going to have to find the next franchise QB. It isn't going to be this method.

So are you basically hypothesizing that if an NFL QB is going to ever succeed in their career, it's going to show in their first stop?