Colin Kaepernick & NFL Reach Settlement

Vic Mackey

32 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Could someone explain to me, absent this controversy, why someone would want to spend $140 for a pair of shoes with a Betsy Ross flag on them?

Although chicks are very rational and cost-conscious, especially when it comes to clothes shopping, perhaps Nike was hoping for impulse buying while a chick sport with a patriotic angle is in the news.

uswnt-world-cup.jpg

Meanwhile:

NIKE'S BETSY ROSS SHOES SELLING FOR $2,500 ... After Kaepernick Recall

e86b5fa940c44287b3647242d505824f_md.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap
Like, wise?

52 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Bullshit PR stunt. 

If they were planning on selling those shoes for July 4 holiday, they've been making, shipping and stocking them for months. Now, two days before July4, Kap objects, so Nike is just going to send thousands, tens of thousands of shoes to a landfill?

bullshit. 

They hired Kap as a PR stooge and that's all this is. 

Needy kids around the world need those. 

tampa-bay-world-series.jpg

Collin:  Phil... That Betsy Ross flag isn't going to fly. Symbol of oppression yo. 

Nike:  Our mistake... Thought it wasn't about the flag. 

Collin: Oppression!

Nike: You're right. We were terribly insensitive. Consider them pulled.

Collin: Cool. Hey, when is my next check coming?

Nike: Bunch of lazy ass 6 year olds need to get the new Jordan line up and running. We will get it in the mail. 

Collin: Word. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

People simultaneously claiming to be upset because they love the flag while then getting mad at Kaepernick for preventing the production and sale of flag shoes. Hard to think of something more disrespectful to the flag, past or present, than walking in it and visually stepping on it with every stride.

But yes, be upset that now Nike won't make millions of dollars off foreign labor so that thousands of people can wear something that looks like the flag on their feet.

Yeah, boy, hard to think of ANYTHING more disrespectful than putting something on your shoes and wearing them.

Like when those athletes write loved ones' names or numbers on their shoes.  Just flat out stomping on them!  Haha joke's on them!  

Or when college and professional logos wind up on a shoe.  Stomp them into the ground, dumb idiots!

You really tapped into the central issue here.  Colors and logos on shoes.  But I guess that's what it takes to support your perspective.  

Thanks for the fine contribution.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

The strawman density in this post is impressive.  Respect

I would think you would know what a straw man is, logically speaking, but this post indicates you actually don't.

9 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah, boy, hard to think of ANYTHING more disrespectful than putting something on your shoes and wearing them.

Like when those athletes write loved ones' names or numbers on their shoes.  Just flat out stomping on them!  Haha joke's on them!  

Or when college and professional logos wind up on a shoe.  Stomp them into the ground, dumb idiots!

You really tapped into the central issue here.  Colors and logos on shoes.  But I guess that's what it takes to support your perspective.  

Thanks for the fine contribution.  

That's a lot of effort to put into a post where you completely miss the point. Also, you might want to consider that the flag is not the same thing as the things you tried to compare them to. The bigger issue, though, is that you completely misunderstand my actual position. You're too busy seeing red and frothing at the mouth to realize that my issue with all of this is that I actually respect the flag and what it stands for. It's offensive to me that Nike was going to try to make money off the Betsy Ross flag. For somebody who actually cares about the flag for the right reasons that is by far the more disrespectful treatment of it.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

Although chicks are very rational and cost-conscious, especially when it comes to clothes shopping, perhaps Nike was hoping for impulse buying while a chick sport with a patriotic angle is in the news.

uswnt-world-cup.jpg

xxXxx

x2x1xX

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

I would think you would know what a straw man is, logically speaking, but this post indicates you actually don't.

That's a lot of effort to put into a post where you completely miss the point. Also, you might want to consider that the flag is not the same thing as the things you tried to compare them to. The bigger issue, though, is that you completely misunderstand my actual position. You're too busy seeing red and frothing at the mouth to realize that my issue with all of this is that I actually respect the flag and what it stands for. It's offensive to me that Nike was going to try to make money off the Betsy Ross flag. For somebody who actually cares about the flag for the right reasons that is by far the more disrespectful treatment of it.

You were the one who said, "Hard to think of something more disrespectful to the flag, past or present, than walking in it and visually stepping on it with every stride."

Oh, well, except for the thing that is obviously more disrespectful, Nike making money off it.

So I'm wondering...is everything that replicates or contains the flag and sold for profit disrespectful?  Or just shoes?

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Could someone explain to me, absent this controversy, why someone would want to spend $140 for a pair of shoes with a Betsy Ross flag on them?

Sometimes symbols become co-opted, even if that wasn't their initial intent.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Why would anyone spend $140 on a pair of fucking tennis shoes, flag or no flag?

Piss on Nike

Well I spend like $140 on New Balance running shoes once a year....but then they are functional.

But yeah... I could give a shit about Nike PR stunts that take advantage of dumb rubes, fake patriotism and outrage culture, though.

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, but actually reading the whole story wouldn't support people's animosity toward CK. It's as if you all have given a single thought about Betsy Ross since fucking grade school. 

3 hours ago, Ghost of Shag said:

You were the one who said, "Hard to think of something more disrespectful to the flag, past or present, than walking in it and visually stepping on it with every stride."

Oh, well, except for the thing that is obviously more disrespectful, Nike making money off it.

So I'm wondering...is everything that replicates or contains the flag and sold for profit disrespectful?  Or just shoes?

All clothing like that is disrespectful, and if you're one of the tacky chucklefucks who buys it then 1) I'm not surprised and 2) you're disrespecting the flag.

• Like 1

the entire thing smells like a huge but unofficial publicity stunt, nice big chunk of red meat for people to go ZOMG FUCK EVERYTHING!!!!! over on the Internet

I'm not saying it's a fake or anything like that, but I'm suspicious of that design, Kaepernick's (name) involvement, and the timing.

• Like 1

the entire thing smells like a huge but unofficial publicity stunt, nice big chunk of red meat for people to go ZOMG FUCK EVERYTHING!!!!! over on the Internet
I'm not saying it's a fake or anything like that, but I'm suspicious of that design, Kaepernick's (name) involvement, and the timing.

It is 100% a PR move.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

But when do the vast majority get to say fuck you, that isn't yours and doesn't stand for what you want it to no matter how much you use it?

What if they co-opted the Texas State flag? Would everyone say welp, fun while it lasted, can't use it anymore?

• Like 8

When I was a senior in high school (1973), I bought a pair of red white and blue stars and stripes socks at the local CR Anthony"s store.  My dad saw them, and immediately whipped out a little gray paperback "Uniform Flag Code"  booklet.  Long story short, I never wore the socks.  Here's a link.

http://www.usflag.org/uscode36.html

ps-being a college professor, he made me read it and then gave me a quiz.  Miss that old soldier. 

Edited by bmbmd
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, pops said:

But when do the vast majority get to say fuck you, that isn't yours and doesn't stand for what you want it to no matter how much you use it?

What if they co-opted the Texas State flag? Would everyone say welp, fun while it lasted, can't use it anymore?

Probably when you don't have a Commander-in-Chief who openly panders to white nationalists anymore.  But that's probably a conversation for another forum around here.

• Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, pops said:

This. Just because a small group of crazy asses choose to use a symbol doesn’t mean that it now belongs to them or that someone else using the symbol agrees with the crazy asses 

• Like 3

Saw Klay Thompson celebrating a three pointer with a similar gesture.  Got damn white suppremacists got to Klay too?

Spelling Clay (the non racist spelling) with a K should have been my first clue. 

Edited by Lhorn
  • Like 1

On 2/18/2019 at 11:25 AM, Alien Octopus said:

Nah he politicized football , ruining it for several fans who don’t give two shits about his opinions or politics.

instant replay review ruined football.

edit: fuck me for reading this abortion of a thread, and replying to a months old post.

Edited by High Plains Drifter

On 3/22/2019 at 1:07 AM, Homesickhorn said:

So is this boxing match gonna happen or not? I’ve got to let my bookie know? Once the thread bumped, I guess I over scrolled north, and stumbled into a mini-chain of some shit going down. What say the two of you?

It’s going to be a friendly sparring 

pod0708.jpg

On 7/2/2019 at 7:15 PM, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably when you don't have a Commander-in-Chief who openly panders to white nationalists anymore.  But that's probably a conversation for another forum around here.

Lol. Someone tell him Obama had not one but TWO huge Ross flags behind him during his second inauguration. Is Obama Clayton Bigsby?

dave chappelle no GIF