How Fox News works

retread

While I despise FoxNews, I get a kick out of how the leftists give the other networks a pass.

They all doin the same shit. 

Edited by slorch

38 minutes ago, slorch said:

While I despise FoxNews, I get a kick out of how the leftists give the other networks a pass.

They all doin the same shit. 

That’s simply not true.  

News organizations are supposed to act as a check against the State abuses of power, regardless of who is in power.

Fox News is the opposite of that now, they enable it, almost encourage it with Trump.

Fox News acted as a check on the Obama administration, which is fine.  However, when Trump came into office, they are more interested in protecting Trump, instead of the American people.

This an unfamiliar phenomenon in our society and it’s dangerous. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

That’s simply not true.  

News organizations are supposed to act as a check against the State abuses of power, regardless of who is in power.

Fox News is the opposite of that now, they enable it, almost encourage it with Trump.

Fox News acted as a check on the Obama administration, which is fine.  However, when Trump came into office, they are more interested in protecting Trump, instead of the American people.

This an unfamiliar phenomenon in our society and it’s dangerous. 

It is true.

Fox is not different from MSNBC or CNN.  The difference is that they (sort of) play for the other team now.

By your way of thinking, Fox would switch to the Dems side had Hillary won the election.  It does not support the state, but rather the folks who are opposite of the left.  I say that, because Trump is not really a conservative.

Your concern is sour grapes, not some revelation.

Edited by slorch

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

That is wholly untrue.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

The networks all try to influence their agenda.

Fox might just be more effective.

I'm absolutely not defending Foxnews.  I'm just saying the other guys do it too.  Bigtime.

Edited by slorch

Trump openly coordinated with Nunes and Hannity to hide evidence regarding the Russians.  Had President Hillary Clinton done the same thing with Rachel Maddow and Nancy Pelosi, you personally would have had an aneurysm.

Whatever helps you sleep at night, though.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, slorch said:

It is true.

Fox is not different from MSNBC or CNN.  The difference is that they (sort of) play for the other team now.

By your way of thinking, Fox would switch to the Dems side had Hillary won the election.  It does not support the state, but rather the folks who are opposite of the left.  I say that, because Trump is not really a conservative.

Your concern is sour grapes, not some revelation.

I’m not sure how much CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News you watch but I doubt you’re exposed to enough of it to make a fair assessment, and that’s okay.  Your life is probably much better because of it.

However, I have taken this up as a hobby of some sorts because it’s fascinating to me.  I pay attention to all three major media outlets and there are valid criticisms of all of them.

CNN tries to play the Fox News game too much.  Too many shouting matches between oppositing viewpoints and a whole lot of bad information is given a platform in the process.

MSNBC has some of that too but they try to keep the information discussed based in facts.  My biggest criticism of MSNBC is they focus too much on the story of the day instead of displaying the bigger picture implications and reminding their viewers of significant context.

Fox News is almost straight up state propaganda with lies and misinformation designed to obfuscate and distort reality to the worldview Trump needs/wants their audience to have.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I

Fox News is almost straight up state propaganda with lies and misinformation designed to obfuscate and distort reality to the worldview Trump needs/wants their audience to have.

In your estimation, the other guys do not engage in "controlling the message"  or "shaping the news?"  If Foxnews didn't do it before Trump, you might have a leg to stand on, but we're like 2 decades into their schtick.

You're lying to yourself, bro.  Trump blew y'all's fucking minds and now we're 1933 Germany.

Foxnews is plenty fucked up, but so are the others.  Their message sounds better to you, so in your mind, they aren't as threatening or ominous.  Their very actions and "coverage" are at the root of the birth of Foxnews.

In your estimation, the other guys do not engage in "controlling the message"  or "shaping the news?"  If Foxnews didn't do it before Trump, you might have a leg to stand on, but we're like 2 decades into their schtick.

You're lying to yourself, bro.  Trump blew y'all's fucking minds and now we're 1933 Germany.

Foxnews is plenty fucked up, but so are the others.  Their message sounds better to you, so in your mind, they aren't as threatening or ominous.  Their very actions and "coverage" are at the root of the birth of Foxnews.

Both sides-ism.

Show a video that has CNN doing a complete reversal with the same talking heads about North Korea or some other topic depending on the party affiliation of the head honcho.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Both sides-ism.

Show a video that has CNN doing a complete reversal with the same talking heads about North Korea or some other topic depending on the party affiliation of the head honcho.

This.  Let’s see it.  FoxNews is the worst and it’s not close.  

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Both sides-ism.

One side has no problem disagreeing and withdrawing support from its side.

I didn't say anyone was just.

I'm just saying they are all shitty and  No more ominous or threatening than the other.

In all honesty, when I click on any of them I am expecting to laugh within the first 30 seconds at the bullshit they consistently serve up.  

IDK if there is an accurate way to get the news.  I watch multiple channels/ read different sites and figure the truth is somewhere in between.  

Fox News is an entertainment product

The programming is aimed at a specific cohort (old whites too scared to watch The Price is Right all day)  Until recently the goal was to drive profit via advertising, however, I believe that they are now whoring themselves out to special interests to drive public opinion.  The Sock Slipper isn't going to pay the bills.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, slorch said:

#BothSides

Fox is facing ongoing lawsuits regarding them making up stories.  Not interpreting them differently, but fabricating entire narratives.  Can you provide links to where CNN and MSNBC are facing similar lawsuits?

• Like 1

have they been convicted or are they being fucked with in court?

Again, i'm not defending Foxnews. 

They are all shitty.

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I’m not sure how much CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News you watch but I doubt you’re exposed to enough of it to make a fair assessment, and that’s okay.  Your life is probably much better because of it.

However, I have taken this up as a hobby of some sorts because it’s fascinating to me.  I pay attention to all three major media outlets and there are valid criticisms of all of them.

CNN tries to play the Fox News game too much.  Too many shouting matches between opposing viewpoints and a whole lot of bad information is given a platform in the process.

MSNBC has some of that too but they try to keep the information discussed based in facts.  My biggest criticism of MSNBC is they focus too much on the story of the day instead of displaying the bigger picture implications and reminding their viewers of significant context.

I loathe CNN for this very reason.  They spend 5 seconds on the story and then 30 minutes on 5 talking heads telling me about it as they shout over each other.

We spent two weeks in Italy last summer and CNN International was the only English speaking channel we could get.  They were outstanding.  I had forgotten what real, basic news was like.  They just told you the Who, What, When, Where, and Why.  No commentary at all.

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Why don't you look it up?  

Why don't you prove your accusation?

If they haven't been convicted, they're Ok.

Didn't you watch OJ?

Foxnews is shitty, I've said as much many times in the thread.  Are you trying to say the other networks are legit with their news coverage?  because they are not even fucking close.

Edited by slorch

48 minutes ago, slorch said:

Didn't you watch OJ?

Foxnews is shitty, I've said as much many times in the thread.  Are you trying to say the other networks are legit with their news coverage?  because they are not even fucking close.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Slorch'd

Didn't you watch OJ?

Fox News is defining reality for millions of folks, including our President who values their coverage more than intelligence agencies and subject-matter experts.

Fox News is complicit and possibly leading the way of branding mainstream news as fake news, immigrants and muslims as evil, democrats as evil and investigatory bodies as deep state. They create and propagate conspiracy theories.

Fox News at many times is less informative than Russia Today and only a rung above InfoWars and Breitbart, maybe not even Breitbart.

Other cable news channels are superficial, can belabor news that appeals to viewers and are shells of other tv news. But they are not equivalent to Fox News.

Only a fool would bunch all the cable news and mainstream news outlets with Fox News and say they’re all equivalent.
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, slorch said:

The people I know who really like FoxNews, watch that shit every waking hour they have the TV on.

It drives me nuts to be around them or at their house... 

It's just nonstop agitation and shit-stirring... like Cloakroom, but all from one side  that they agree with.  It truly borders on some psychopathic behavior.

At least they have an explanation for their malicious ignorance.   What's yours? 

7 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

At least they have an explanation for their malicious ignorance.   What's yours? 

OK  you win.

Foxnews is a threat to our country...LOLz.

Going forward they will only use approved reports created by the leftist news agencies.  Then y'all can stop losing your minds...

The left wants to entirely control the message.  The fact that they cannot is a good thing.

Edited by slorch

I wonder if the dinasours had a prehistoric Fox News equivalent right before the comet wiped it all out.   If I go outside and see a big ball of fire in the sky tonight, I would be a bit sad, but not at all suprised and pretty understanding of why.

20 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

I wonder if the dinasours had a prehistoric Fox News equivalent right before the comet wiped it all out.   If I go outside and see a big ball of fire in the sky tonight, I would be a bit sad, but not at all suprised and pretty understanding of why.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRIEUqkH8__oGBrb7IUxo7

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Horn Dog said:

What do you mean “had”?

My wife lies to me.  I'm positive.  She sometimes tells me what I want to hear because it's the nice thing to do.  She doesn't tell me about ALL the purses she buys, because she knows we'll argue about it.

~Pats Brisket on the head~

It’s not only purses, love.
  • Like 4

I heard a podcast with an interview of Gabriel Sherman, author of the unauthorized Roger Ailes biography “The Loudest Voice in the Room: How the Brilliant, Bombastic Roger Ailes Built Fox News and Divided a Country." 

Through his research, Sherman came to believe that Fox News is not merely a cheerleader / enabler / apologist / mouthpiece for the hard right, but that they actually drive these policies, that the likes of McConnell, Ryan and Trump take their cues from Ailes (formerly) and Murdoch, and then get their accolades and support. 

Murdoch's been running the UK for about 30 years now, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that he runs us too. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I loathe CNN for this very reason.  They spend 5 seconds on the story and then 30 minutes on 5 talking heads telling me about it as they shout over each other.

We spent two weeks in Italy last summer and CNN International was the only English speaking channel we could get.  They were outstanding.  I had forgotten what real, basic news was like.  They just told you the Who, What, When, Where, and Why.  No commentary at all.

I feel like Fox created that framework and it's shown to drive them to be #1. CNN wants to play the counter to them but know they have to adopt that same framework. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I heard a podcast with an interview of Gabriel Sherman, author of the unauthorized Roger Ailes biography “The Loudest Voice in the Room: How the Brilliant, Bombastic Roger Ailes Built Fox News and Divided a Country." 

Through his research, Sherman came to believe that Fox News is not merely a cheerleader / enabler / apologist / mouthpiece for the hard right, but that they actually drive these policies, that the likes of McConnell, Ryan and Trump take their cues from Ailes (formerly) and Murdoch, and then get their accolades and support. 

Murdoch's been running the UK for about 30 years now, so it shouldn't come as any surprise that he runs us too. 

I absolutely believe it. Bannon believed it too and basically ripped parts of it off for Breitbart, which now drives policy as well. 

3 hours ago, SmokeyTheBear said:

I feel like Fox created that framework and it's shown to drive them to be #1. CNN wants to play the counter to them but know they have to adopt that same framework. 

That's exactly what happened. It's the Fox model. It's a ratings driven business and Fox came along and dominated the ratings. That forced CNN to adapt to the less news, more opinion format. CNN went so far as to disband their investigative journalism unit. They became less newsy in order to compete with Fox. 

17 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Slorch is totally not defending Fox News. 

Next paragraph, slorch totally defends Fox News. 

Just stop pretending that you’re unbiased in your thinking, slorchy. We know you aren’t, you know you aren’t. Give up the ruse. 

Foxnews sucks

So do the other news networks.

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

What blows my mind is the false EQUIVALENCE (look up the meaning of the word -- it's important).

Does Fox News publish lies?  Yes.

Does CNN publish lies?  Yes.

Does that make them equivalent?

Well, let's see.

My leaky shower door seal causes my floors to get wet.

Hurricane Harvey caused my floors to get wet.

Therefore, I shouldn't bitch about the 3 feet of water Harvey sent into my house, because I was okay living with a leaky shower door.

Or how about this:

Slorch is a criminal (we know he has broken the speed limit and rolled through a stop sign or two).

Kenneth McDuff was a criminal.

THEREFORE, they are the same -- if I'm okay with Slorch coming over to my house, I should be okay with McDuff.  Or, if I am NOT okay with McDuff coming over, I should also bar Slorch from my house.

VOLUME matters.  DEGREE matters.

My wife lies to me.  I'm positive.  She sometimes tells me what I want to hear because it's the nice thing to do.  She doesn't tell me about ALL the purses she buys, because she knows we'll argue about it.

Therefore, according to the Slorch standard, where degree and volume don't matter, my wife is a lying bitch, and I should dump her.  Right?

Jesus.  What the fuck happened to even simple logical reasoning?  Fox news is a mouthpiece, apologist, and constant enabler for the administration, led by a man that that pussy libtard Charles Krauthammer called "a Vesuvius of mendacity."  So, because some other news network -- ALL other networks -- sometimes ALSO post pieces of dubious veracity, they are the same.  Volume and degree are meaningless concepts, and should not be considered when gauging trustworthiness.

Tell me this simple fact, Slorch -- have you ever, in your entire life, told a lie?  If you have, you'll understand if we all simply block you from now on, as you are a proven liar, everything you say is  a lie, and you can't be trusted.  Right?

You believe the news networks?

You believe they objectively report the news?

You believe they are not selective, with regard to political agendas, in what stories receive air time?

If one reads this thread, it would seem Foxnews is the only culprit.  That isn't true.  They are only doing what the others have done for decades.

It isn't right, but the outrage and fear is a fucking joke.  It didn't matter to you fuckers until the message/ candidates/ political affiliation changed.

Edited by slorch

Fox News claim (tweeted by the president) that 2500 Iranians were granted citizenship as part of nuclear deal gets a 4 Pinocchios rating. Like Coulter on FN claiming immigrant children separated from parents were crisis actors, Fox News will likely never acknowledge the falsehood or issue a correction.

Trump claims Obama gave citizenship to 2,500 Iranians during nuclear deal talks https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAzyPgl?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

30 minutes ago, seven said:

You're a hopeless moron slorch 

Sorry we disagree.

Sorry I don’t shake my sword at windmills like y’all.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

You believe the news networks?

You believe they objectively report the news?

You believe they are not selective, with regard to political agendas, in what stories receive air time?

If one reads this thread, it would seem Foxnews is the only culprit.  That isn't true.  They are only doing what the others have done for decades.

It isn't right, but the outrage and fear is a fucking joke.  It didn't matter to you fuckers until the message/ candidates/ political affiliation changed.

I guess I spoke too soon

35 minutes ago, slorch said:

Sorry I don’t shake my sword at windmills like y’all.

You sure about that, hoss?

35 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Whooosh! Brisket’s point sails right over your empty head. Now, the question is: did you purposefully not understand because it uncomfortably challenges your world view?

36 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Whooosh! Brisket’s point sails right over your empty head. Now, the question is: did you purposefully not understand because it uncomfortably challenges your world view?

Yeah, Foxnews is the enemy of the left.  I got it.

The other networks are equally opposed to objectivity.

I embrace neither Foxnews nor the networks in general.  Maybe your worldview that we all have to pick a news channel is the one being challenged, eh?

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

No, Fox is the enemy of a free and independent press and objective journalism.  And that would be the case no matter which way they leaned.

Do you contend that the other networks are such advocates of journalistic objectivity and independence?

Edited by slorch

I learned during my visit to my parents that the Democrats are running on a midterms platform that patriotism is bad. 

Another thing I noticed, which I think is a generational thing, is my parents have their television on at all times. Like from the moment they wake until they go to bed. I know other olds who do this. Of course it's almost always on Fox News, sometimes as background noise. Sometimes muted. But ALWAYS on. 

When we're in another room or chatting / visiting and I turn off the TV, they look at me like I am crazy. 

This is the same generation that told their kids that tv will rot your brain. 

• Like 3