SC girl is murdered after getting in wrong car

ajax

A modicum of situational awareness can go a very long way.
Then again, 3 Puerto Ricans might well stop you from getting in the wrong car and disappear before you can even thank them.

Stay afraid, you know there are bad hombres on the Internet. You should log off just in case.

13 hours ago, Nivek said:

To convince people that bad shit happens isn’t difficult. To convince me that it is statistically significant is. I have dropped my wallet, phone, and had it returned with the money. I have taken Uber rides before without issue. I have staggered home drunk before no issue. I wrecked a motorcycle and got help from strangers who were less concerned about me bleeding than I was.
I have fixed a few cars on the side of the road before, given rides to random folks and refused payment. I haven given back wallets, called a credit card company when I found a card, and returned over $1500 in cash when I was 19 and broke and no one would have known if I had taken the money.

It was 3 Puerto Rican dudes who helped me push my car to a gas station and offered me money to fill it up... then they left. I barely had time to thank them, but I remember them 25 years later. I have had a few items stolen, including an inch worm when I was a little kid, and professional assholes (insurance, lawyers) have done me more financial harm than any stranger did.

I’ve had my wallet stolen right in front of me. I’ve had an Uber driver higher than an eagle’s ass pick me up and drive me to the wrong place and ignore my directions before I just got out. I’ve had friends (2) be killed on the side of the road trying to help others. 

I’ve had many items stolen in my life and received a tremendous amount of help by an insurance company and personal injury attorney after a hit and run by a drunk driver.

Now back to more stat talk by Nivek...

8 hours ago, CoTex said:

Is it possible that some girl was going to be murdered that night, no matter what?  Don’t people get murdered at work, bus stops, in their beds and just about everywhere else?

this dude saw something he liked, schemed up a play and then ran his play.  I’m not convinced that he was a rational sane person who found himself with a female in his backseat and this unexpected circumstance unleashed the latent murderer.

This.  

I think one one thing Uber/Lyft could do is input some sort of 911/distress button into their app interface.  If you are the customer/rider, it would be a button you could push/text interface that would be kept private between you and the company/authorities.   Have the same thing on the driver side.   Either party sending the distress call would be kept private from the other.  It could warrant a routine traffic stop by an officer that could prevent this sort of thing. 

Granted, he wasn’t a real uber driver.   But if she was in the uber interface already, her phone still should’ve tracked through their system.   Once she saw the child locks didn’t work, if she hits this distress interface an auto call would go out.

Probably a a lot more complicated than I’m making it, but it makes sense  

Right about now it’s about that time for me to holla.

Girl I wanna waller in the back of my Impala.

Woo, don’t need no tickets for this thang.

Just jump on in, let me hit them switches on the train.

And it ain’t no thang, it’s all the same.

11 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Uber and lyft need to look at changes to make it easier to ID your driver and vice versa. I agree every rider should already check out the license plate but it doesn’t mean that a few changes to the app won’t hurt. 

Lyft already gives all the 2 month or more drivers the Lyft light- which glows something like 8 different colors, the app tells you to look out for "george driving a white imapala with the green lyft light" and sure enough George shows up with the bright green light in the dashboard

So they have done a pretty good job of making it much easier to identify which car is yours.  

I guess they could implement a panic button in the app.  but then again, this chick  HAD HER FUCKING CELL PHONE IN HER HAND.... so you know an emergency call could be made.

the problem is she was probably too drunk and pre occupied with her fucking phone and didnt pay attention that the driver wasnt going to her house and its possible by the time she realized she was in trouble was when she looked outside when he stopped the car, and it was way too late.

I know dad is just trying to vent at the loss of his daughter, but I just cant see how its the fault of Uber or Lyft.  The driver has to take some responsibility for themselves.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pokeNbeans said:

If you're a young lady out alone and physically unable to defend yourself, for fuck's sake get a Cpl and learn how to use it.

A nice little micro 9 in her purse and it would have been the psycho driver who had the huge problem.

This.

However if said young lady was out bar hopping it would be illegal to carry a firearm. A knife might help, or some pepper spray in that case.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pokeNbeans said:

If you're a young lady out alone and physically unable to defend yourself, for fuck's sake get a Cpl and learn how to use it.

A nice little micro 9 in her purse and it would have been the psycho driver who had the huge problem.

except you know she was specifically going out to bars  drinking, which under the rules of most CCL or CPL's  isnt allowed. 

I looked it up and only 4 states allow a CCW in bars,  Tennessee, Virginia, Arizona, Georgia.

so while I guess she could have done it, you are looking at the loss of your CCL if caught.  

and yes, in your instance theres a better chance she would be alive.... but then again, you now have a drunken lady shooting an already wildly innaccurate weapon somewhere in the city.... theres a better than zero chance she ends up shooting the wrong person.

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

This.

However if said young lady was out bar hopping it would be illegal to carry a firearm. A knife might help, or some pepper spray in that case.

$10 she was passed out in the back seat, and didn't know what was going on till too late.  The pepper spray is the best and safest thing for her unless she really knows how to handle firearms.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

How much easier can you get? They give you the name, make and model of their vehicle, license plate number and a photo of the driver. This is an unfortunate incident but there is absolutely no reason for anyone to get into a car without verifying it is indeed their actual rideshare. 

Uber/Lyft is as safe as it gets. It's the customers that can be the ignorant ones.

There are always changes that can make an app better. Once again this is about PR not making people safer.

if I were Uber or Lyft I would be introducing a change before the other one did. Come up with some app or process change.  If just 5% of the women customers switched to you, it would be a huge revenue switch. 

One problem with the current method is that make/model of the car means nothing to some people especially at night and drunk. License plate is nice but it’s on the back and front of the vehicle.  Uber could create a Uber-license card that on the side window to compare to the app.  

• Like 1

His attorney will claim self-defense.  The young woman entered his car without his permission and he had no choice but to drive her to a remote location and kill her.  If I were him I'd seek a change of venue in order to get a fair hearing...someplace like Chicago.

Edited by gecko

18 hours ago, orange dream said:

Saw some of this over the weekend.  The thing that strikes me as a bit odd is that even if she gets in the wrong uber  car  at 3 am, I think/hope that 99.9% of the population would stop significantly short of murder and dump the body.  Really terrible coincidence to get the wrong .01% of the population pulling up at the same time you are expecting your Uber.

Very sad for her family.

I hope your second statistic is the correct one.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Continental Op said:

So the dad is out there demanding changes to lyft/Uber to make it more safe. Exactly what changes would have kept his dumbass daughter from hopping in the wrong car?

Disabled child locks?   I know, not an easy solution.

Not saying she wasn’t an idiot but she didn’t deserve to die.  If you’ve ever driven after a few drinks, you’ve done worse.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Uber and lyft need to look at changes to make it easier to ID your driver and vice versa. I agree every rider should already check out the license plate but it doesn’t mean that a few changes to the app won’t hurt.  

Uber and lyft can’t prevent a psycho from killing people but  make the driver info larger on the screen for the rider. Set an easy alert process in the app if you’re in danger. If you miss a ride ( this girl must have missed her actual Uber/lyft ride), an alert goes to pre-determined friends.

Sometimes it’s about doing something to make people feel safer even if they aren’t safer.  Businesses do this everyday. 

Lyft has it now where the color of your app will match the color of the lyft symbol on the car.  Not sure that would make it better for a drunk person, but definitely easier to ID.

43 minutes ago, gecko said:

His attorney will claim self-defense.  The young woman entered his car without his permission and he had no choice but to drive her to a remote location and kill her.  If I were him I'd seek a change of venue in order to get a fair hearing...someplace like Chicago.

she forced her way into the car.  a car is a man’s castle.  castle doctrine.  man gets an NAACP award. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Once again this is about PR not making people safer.

if I were Uber or Lyft I would be introducing a change before the other one did. Come up with some app or process change.  If just 5% of the women customers switched to you, it would be a huge revenue switch. 

Now we're talking business. 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I'm not so sure I would want to be spraying pepper spray in an enclosed vehicle. A stun gun might be better.

I would happily spray Peppered Bubonic Chernobyl-Sarin inside an enclosed vehicle if it meant avoiding imminent rape/murder.

Situational awareness can save your bacon.

True story - I stepped into an asian restaurant in Sioux City Iowa once.  Quick glance around and I immediately knew I was in harm's way.  It was like the scary parts of Big Trouble in Little China (I have blue green eyes so, who knows what they planned on doing with me).

I exited that mf'er post haste and possibly, that's why I'm here with you all today.

6 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Situational awareness can save your bacon.

True story - I stepped into an asian restaurant in Sioux City Iowa once.  Quick glance around and I immediately knew I was in harm's way.  It was like the scary parts of Big Trouble in Little China (I have blue green eyes so, who knows what they planned on doing with me).

I exited that mf'er post haste and possibly, that's why I'm here with you all today.

Username (pronunciation at least) checks out 

It's interesting that we can talk about situational awareness and taking prudent steps to stay safe. Because she's dead.

If the guy had done whatever with her and left her alive, all such talk would be taboo.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ajax said:

It's interesting that we can talk about situational awareness and taking prudent steps to stay safe. Because she's dead.

If the guy had done whatever with her and left her alive, all such talk would be taboo.

Agreed. Had a buddy blackout and wind up in the wrong apartment one time. He lived.

2 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

This.  

I think one one thing Uber/Lyft could do is input some sort of 911/distress button into their app interface.  If you are the customer/rider, it would be a button you could push/text interface that would be kept private between you and the company/authorities.   Have the same thing on the driver side.   Either party sending the distress call would be kept private from the other.  It could warrant a routine traffic stop by an officer that could prevent this sort of thing. 

Granted, he wasn’t a real uber driver.   But if she was in the uber interface already, her phone still should’ve tracked through their system.   Once she saw the child locks didn’t work, if she hits this distress interface an auto call would go out.

Probably a a lot more complicated than I’m making it, but it makes sense  

Don’t know about Lyft because I don’t use it, but Uber already has the exact thing you’re talking about.

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Stay naive nothing ever bad happens if you just keep a positive outlook.

You should do it while looking at your phone, wearing expensive jewelry, drunk and happy. I believe in you.

Thanks for making my point about why I don't bother trying to convince anyone outside my family why a bit of situational awareness is a good thing. You've shown me the light.

Crime happens.  Crime rates are low and have been dropping.   The biggest issue I worry about is speeding down the street by those who wish to avoid the school zone on the major road while the kids are playing with their friends.   

You are using the playbook from the anti-vaccine and flat earth proponents, and the old classic strawman.   You live to seek out confirmation bias.  My anecdote is more inline with the FBI's report.  Situational awareness is good, paranoia is not.  Your friends may be correct that you crossed that threshold.   Hope you are well.

I think I saw that 16MM Uber/Lyft rides happen a day.  Don't be dumb, but don't stress.  Seems like the odds of running into a bad driver are about the same odds as running into a bad customer and getting shot at 7/11.  There is just some baseline .00001% danger of interacting with humans.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Naw, he got caught too easily to be a serial killer.

You might be right but this might have been a situation where it was such an easy opportunity for him to commit murder that he couldn’t restrain his impulse.

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

“Yes.”

Yeah welcome to your murder. Might wanna think of a better question to ask the driver.

Generally I have already confirmed it's the correct driver and car before even opening the door. A lot of the time I don't even have to ask if it's for me, because Lyft and Uber make it painfully obvious (again, a trained monkey could find the correct car to get into). 

Although I suppose if you're paranoid about the whole situation you could start playing 20 questions before getting in. 

But thank you for your sage advice. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Generally I have already confirmed it's the correct driver and car before even opening the door. A lot of the time I don't even have to ask if it's for me, because Lyft and Uber make it painfully obvious (again, a trained monkey could find the correct car to get into). 

Although I suppose if you're paranoid about the whole situation you could start playing 20 questions before getting in. 

But thank you for your sage advice. 

Why you need to be asking is, is this ride for Malcom or Fred.  Anything but your subscribed name.

14 hours ago, ztejas said:

How is this in any way on Uber/Lyft as opposed to the dude picking up girls and murdering them in the back seat?

People are so fucking stupid it hurts.

Do you even 'Murica bruh? Fucking victim blamer.

15 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Uber and lyft can’t prevent a psycho from killing people but  make the driver info larger on the screen for the rider. Set an easy alert process in the app if you’re in danger. If you miss a ride ( this girl must have missed her actual Uber/lyft ride), an alert goes to pre-determined friends.

Sometimes it’s about doing something to make people feel safer even if they aren’t safer.  Businesses do this everyday. 

How do you make it easier than using your two fucking eyeballs?  Let's not over-engineer this thing out of concern for "safety".

• Like 1

Women are usually more deficient in ID’ng cars anyways. Add alcohol to the mix and good luck.

Uber: Jim is arriving now in his black Kia.
Guys: spots beater Kia down block and makes his way towards it
Girls: starts walking toward black Cam-cord coming other direction