Getting old sucks

Hate

On 3/25/2023 at 12:26 PM, Armybrat said:

Is your mom on Medicare?

Yes. She is currently in a acute therapy facility, but her time there is almost up even though she is still pretty much 100% assist. She will occasionally mention something about going home, but it looks like she still needs 24 care. 

• Like 1

Sweatergod I just put away my cane Friday from a couple of weeks of back flare ups and wake up yesterday with my neck stiff as a post just from using a different pillow!! Hurts worse today than yesterday! Makes me wonder what it’s gonna be like when I’m actually really old!

• Rage+1 1

I have no idea if they are worth a damn, but I've heard about A Place for Mom
Honestly I thought about buying into one of these Seniors only places (not final medical, but retirement.) But I'm looking for expat opportunities. Belize and Costa Rica are high on the list.

Do you want to have your first heart attack in Belize or Costa Rica?

I can’t get past that problem whenever I contemplate the expat thing. I love Isla Mujeres but I don’t want to be a rubber boat ride away from the nearest Mexican hospital during my senior years.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sweatergod I just put away my cane Friday from a couple of weeks of back flare ups and wake up yesterday with my neck stiff as a post just from using a different pillow!! Hurts worse today than yesterday! Makes me wonder what it’s gonna be like when I’m actually really old!
Maybe you need a new mattress.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:
On 3/27/2023 at 9:41 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Maybe you need a new mattress.

That makes the mattress story even worse.  Dude even has back problems and isn't consulted about a new mattress.  Wow.  I can be a real bitch, but there's no way I would do that.  She must be pissed about something and if so that is some fucked up passive aggressive hoseshit.

1 hour ago, Fudbelty said:

I’m 43 and had my first ever X-ray on left hand. Blue area is supposed to be one bone. Apparently at some point I broke it, it obviously never healed properly, and now I’m getting arthritis. Absolutely no clue when it would have been. 43e6e7654dd7e41849be5da711037d5c.png

That time you rubbed dirt on it....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

nowadays i find it's no longer an interesting question to ask if I'm hurting somewhere; the only things that change are which parts are hurting.

today's ouchies are: pain in my left side from shingles leftovers, some weird pain in my right elbow/shoulder or something, and my daughter's attitude

I just finished fixing the bottom drawer on my wife’s side of the bathroom vanity, and after 20 minutes on the stone tile floor, my knees were screaming at me to get up, but they wouldn’t let me. My left shoulder was next to the sink, but that’s my bad shoulder, so I had to spin around and push/pull myself up. I’m whimpering cuss words like a pathetic child.

I should have folded a towel as a makeshift cushion to kneel on. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Like 1

That makes the mattress story even worse.  Dude even has back problems and isn't consulted about a new mattress.  Wow.  I can be a real bitch, but there's no way I would do that.  She must be pissed about something and if so that is some fucked up passive aggressive hoseshit.

Maybe… I dunno

On 3/28/2023 at 8:37 PM, Buzzrock said:

Do you want to have your first heart attack in Belize or Costa Rica?

I can’t get past that problem whenever I contemplate the expat thing. I love Isla Mujeres but I don’t want to be a rubber boat ride away from the nearest Mexican hospital during my senior years.

Im thinking southern Spain or maybe Dublin

8 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Yeah the Dr mentioned that. In fact he said he looked at them before he came in the room and he thought they put the wrong chart there because there was no way those were 54 year old knees. 

I was 54 when I had both of my knees replaced. At the same time. Mine looked a lot like your x-rays before they did the procedure. My life has been sooo much better since having it done. I was golfing, gingerly, 8 weeks after the surgery and have played 4-5 rounds a week ever since. Had them done about 20 years ago and they are holding up well. Get it done and you won't regret it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 5:09 PM, ImissWallyPryor said:

I just finished fixing the bottom drawer on my wife’s side of the bathroom vanity, and after 20 minutes on the stone tile floor, my knees were screaming at me to get up, but they wouldn’t let me. My left shoulder was next to the sink, but that’s my bad shoulder, so I had to spin around and push/pull myself up. I’m whimpering cuss words like a pathetic child.

Yeah, if I'm going to be doing anything that involves kneeling on a hard surface, I strap on the knee pads.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rimbo said:

nowadays i find it's no longer an interesting question to ask if I'm hurting somewhere; the only things that change are which parts are hurting.

today's ouchies are: pain in my left side from shingles leftovers, some weird pain in my right elbow/shoulder or something, and my daughter's attitude

I'm glad I got the Shingrex vax from what I've heard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah, if I'm going to be doing anything that involves kneeling on a hard surface, I strap on the knee pads.

I'm glad to hear I am not the only one. That is some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. And I lost a finger tip.

I keep a pair of knee pads in my truck for emergencies.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:17 PM, Fudbelty said:

I’m 43 and had my first ever X-ray on left hand. Blue area is supposed to be one bone. Apparently at some point I broke it, it obviously never healed properly, and now I’m getting arthritis. Absolutely no clue when it would have been. 43e6e7654dd7e41849be5da711037d5c.png

That could be my wrist. I was working for a warehouse grocery in SA owned by Handy Andy in 78 or 79 when I fell off some steel shelving. I broke and displaced one of those bones, but they sent me to the company quack who said it was only a slight sprain. It bothered me for about 25 years until one day I realized it didn’t really bother me anymore. Maybe it was just other things hurting more. I say give it another year or three. Lol

I don’t have arthritis in that wrist, but there is a weird soft spot/indentation on my wrist where a bone should be. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Rage+1 1

I broke that same bone many years ago. The ortho I went to said that bone has a really high rate of developing arthritis if it isn’t fixed correctly. He recommended putting a screw in my wrist and said that should fix it. I went with that and have had zero issues since. I guess he was right.

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I just finished replacing all the hardware on one of our toilets, and I found myself fantasizing on the toilet aisle of the hardware store, fantasizing about getting taller toilets so my knees will stop crackling those last two inches when I sit on our standard shitters. 

Home Depot's got your back:

image.png.5bec99206cc6635687bd4ccf9dff5b63.png

My parents used to have one of those.... but they were ... old people.    This is like staring into my future.

Edited by 0xdeadbeef
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I just finished replacing all the hardware on one of our toilets, and I found myself fantasizing on the toilet aisle of the hardware store, fantasizing about getting taller toilets so my knees will stop crackling those last two inches when I sit on our standard shitters. 

I replaced the toilet in the half bath downstairs with a comfort height toilet.  Now I find that that's the only crapper that I want to use.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I replaced the toilet in the half bath downstairs with a comfort height toilet.  Now I find that that's the only crapper that I want to use.

Didn't even know that existed.  Now that I looked, they even have extra tall.  Extra tall, elongated toilet with a bidet for the win.

You know you're getting old when you get excited about the prospect of upgrading the toilet.

Edited by Jerry Callo
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

It's been 2 months since my shoulder surgery and the Doc told me I could start some light lifting and PT. This morning I'm messing with my office TV trying to figure out why it's not showing 4K. Turns out I'm not using the right HDMI port for my Fire TV Stick. Should be an easy fix, just swap ports. Problem is you can't see shit and working by feel is an exercise in futility. I resigned to take the 55" set down using my right arm for base support so I could rest it against my torso for support. Everything worked exactly to plan even better than I expected. It's a fairly heavy set, but I am a full grown man, heh.

I get everything switched around, did a test run and sure enough I now have 4K. Cool, turn the set off and get ready to to the dismount in reverse. Grab the set, brace against my torso with the right and lift the top with my left. Center it on the wall, ease down on the bracket... ease down on the bracket... ease down on the motherfucking bracket! I can't hook the thing for shit. Get one side hooked at top and it jumps off trying to get the other one hooked. 

I'm sweating like a whore in church. My shoulder is on fire. Is 4K even a real thing? I've got to get this fucker hung right now or resort to watching on my PC.

Somehow I got both top hooks hung and started tightening the bottom screw on each to lock them in. Right side is done. Switch to my left hand to tighten that side and as soon as I stuck my arm behind the right side jumped off. I reactively grabbed the bottom of the huge fucker with my right (fresh out of surgery) arm. Somebody set off a flashbang. When the ringing quieted down and my vision cleared up, I'm balancing this thing in a real awkward position, but I'm secure. So I tried 1 more time to hang this got dam thing. With sheer will and a grim look of determination on my face I finally got both sides locked in. My arm really doesn't feel that bad. This was the first weight I've lifted. I didn't tear anything, but I can definitely tell I've lifted something heavier than I should have. Gonna be sore for a couple days... in 4K.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, RPM said:

It's been 2 months since my shoulder surgery and the Doc told me I could start some light lifting and PT. This morning I'm messing with my office TV trying to figure out why it's not showing 4K. Turns out I'm not using the right HDMI port for my Fire TV Stick. Should be an easy fix, just swap ports. Problem is you can't see shit and working by feel is an exercise in futility. I resigned to take the 55" set down using my right arm for base support so I could rest it against my torso for support. Everything worked exactly to plan even better than I expected. It's a fairly heavy set, but I am a full grown man, heh.

I get everything switched around, did a test run and sure enough I now have 4K. Cool, turn the set off and get ready to to the dismount in reverse. Grab the set, brace against my torso with the right and lift the top with my left. Center it on the wall, ease down on the bracket... ease down on the bracket... ease down on the motherfucking bracket! I can't hook the thing for shit. Get one side hooked at top and it jumps off trying to get the other one hooked. 

I'm sweating like a whore in church. My shoulder is on fire. Is 4K even a real thing? I've got to get this fucker hung right now or resort to watching on my PC.

Somehow I got both top hooks hung and started tightening the bottom screw on each to lock them in. Right side is done. Switch to my left hand to tighten that side and as soon as I stuck my arm behind the right side jumped off. I reactively grabbed the bottom of the huge fucker with my right (fresh out of surgery) arm. Somebody set off a flashbang. When the ringing quieted down and my vision cleared up, I'm balancing this thing in a real awkward position, but I'm secure. So I tried 1 more time to hang this got dam thing. With sheer will and a grim look of determination on my face I finally got both sides locked in. My arm really doesn't feel that bad. This was the first weight I've lifted. I didn't tear anything, but I can definitely tell I've lifted something heavier than I should have. Gonna be sore for a couple days... in 4K.

So when is your corrrective surgery appointment ?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, RPM said:

What did you have done again?

On 4/12/2023 at 3:01 PM, Jerry Callo said:

Didn't even know that existed.  Now that I looked, they even have extra tall.  Extra tall, elongated toilet with a bidet for the win.

You know you're getting old when you get excited about the prospect of upgrading the toilet.

You should add a bidet to it

23 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

So when is your corrrective surgery appointment ?

Yeah, when I had mine done the doctor made me wear that stupid sling for 6-8 weeks. He said I really didn't need it but wanted me to wear it to keep me from using my right arm. Especially to catch myself in a fall.

• Like 1