Who has bought a Mercedes Benz?

No humble brag here, we are looking at one of the midsize 47k models.

What percentage off msrp did you get? Our local dealer sucks and quoted msrp and fuck that. It's a 300. My mother in law has a 350 and got 4500 off msrp in Austin. So, she got about 12-15 percent off.

Living in way up in boxface Texas, I don't want to drive to Austin for a car. Houston or Dallas fine.

I couldn’t them to budge much but that was 15 years ago.  Just go see them during the last days of the month when the end of month paycheck is coming up.

you didn’t ask, but the key to German cars is to get rid of them before the warranty is up. Too expensive to repair afterwards. Or don’t use them as a daily driver so they don’t get beat up so bad.

We went CPO out of South Dakota and had it shipped to our house. They wouldn’t budge on the price. 

The MB CPO is legit. They tack on an extra year warranty and we bought 2 more, we ended up with a 6 or 7 year unlimited mileage factory warranty. We looked nationwide and saw a ton of CPOs with less than 500 miles, the one we bought had 9,000 on it. 

Compare the E300 with the 540i before you buy, if you haven’t already, particularly the driver interface. Just a much better system for BMW imo, and the dealer gave me a far better deal than what MB was offering too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

IIRC, I got around 8% off sticker but got way over bluebook on my trade in.

Mine has been bullet proof but every other annual maintenance is the “big” one and it’s a kick in the balls for $700+ a pop.

And the latter is why I will never own an M-B or BMW, as attractive as they may be.  The only time I have spent 700 on my now 8 year old Cadillac is tires and a water pump at 85,000.

I'm just too cheap for that shit.  And with my luck, I'd wind up getting a lemon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

And the latter is why I will never own an M-B or BMW, as attractive as they may be.  The only time I have spent 700 on my now 8 year old Cadillac is tires and a water pump at 85,000.

I'm just too cheap for that shit.  And with my luck, I'd wind up getting a lemon.

I've been driving only MB's for the past 25 years or so.  Solid and reliable cars.  Never go to a dealership for service.  There are many independent shops that can maintain a MB, BWM or other high-end cars for a fraction of what the dealerships charge.  I've been using these guys for the last 15 years or so:  https://nwimports.com/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I've been driving only MB's for the past 25 years or so.  Solid and reliable cars.  Never go to a dealership for service.  There are many independent shops that can maintain a MB, BWM or other high-end cars for a fraction of what the dealerships charge.  I've been using these guys for the last 15 years or so:  https://nwimports.com/

Username does not check out.

21 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I've heard horror stories from owners/former owners of BMW's regarding maintenance and repair costs, especially  the later once warranty expires.   And what I don't understand is they go back for more in getting a replacement BMW once it's time to trade in and then it's rinse and repeat.  Some do wise up after their second or third tour with one and go with a different choice. 

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

My 5 series went to complete dogshit after 100,000.  Basically had to give it away after the tranny went for the 2nd time.  I got an Infinit QX30, which is, ironically, almost completely a Mercedes GLA 250- same platform, turbo-engine, and a bunch of other MB components.  So far so good on that.

My MB E320 airmatic suspension struts all failed one after another. $1000/pop.  At least the first 2 failed under warranty.  And when they failed, the car dropped so it was undriveable. Meaning tow truck time.

Agree that you have to find a good non-dealer mechanic once it's out of warranty.

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

My MB E320 airmatic suspension struts all failed one after another. $1000/pop.  At least the first 2 failed under warranty.  And when they failed, the car dropped so it was undriveable. Meaning tow truck time.

Agree that you have to find a good non-dealer mechanic once it's out of warranty.

That begs an interesting question.  Do you have to do A/B service at the dealer to maintain warranty?

No, you can go to a certified shop. 

My last 4 cars have been MB’s. 

My 300td lasted till 327k miles

my 2001 e55 lasted till 160k miles and then I totaled it

my 2004 e55 lasted till 150k then had electrical problems that the dealership couldn’t even figure out  

My 2010 e63 is going strong at 160k miles  

on each of the e’s I had the occasional $1k repair bill and probably averaged around $3k a year in repairs  

Haven’t had a big repair on the e63 yet  probably jinxing myself by saying that

My S550 had the air suspension go out over time.  Had an independent shop do each corner for $800 per.  MBs are well known for this failure.  AMG package had 20" wheels that were 275 in the rear and 235 in the front.  Never got 15000 miles on a set.  So about every 1/1.5 years there went $2000 for tires.  Other than that, no real complaints.  It  has been my favorite sedan.  

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The only time I have spent 700 on my now 8 year old Cadillac is tires and a water pump at 85,000.

If you have the V-6, be prepared to replace the timing chain and variable valve timing sprockets. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

If you have the V-6, be prepared to replace the timing chain and variable valve timing sprockets. 

I do, and no problems.  Wife and I both have post-2010 3.6DI V6s.  No problems so far.  They seem to have worked those kinks out.  However, I have a phobia of driving a car much past 100k, so it's going bye-bye soon, and so is hers.

No, you can go to a certified shop. 
My last 4 cars have been MB’s. 
My 300td lasted till 327k miles
my 2001 e55 lasted till 160k miles and then I totaled it
my 2004 e55 lasted till 150k then had electrical problems that the dealership couldn’t even figure out  
My 2010 e63 is going strong at 160k miles  
on each of the e’s I had the occasional $1k repair bill and probably averaged around $3k a year in repairs  
Haven’t had a big repair on the e63 yet  probably jinxing myself by saying that

So would you buy another one?

absolutely

I always get them 5-7 years old with 50k-75k miles and they are about 1/3 of the new car price. I really love this e63 and kinda want to keep it forever. I'm looking around at jeeps and will greatly reduce the number of miles I put on the benz so it will last longer. I'm also contemplating looking for a newer one with really low miles that I can then keep a long time.

Every time I see a mid 80's 300td I get the urge to get one of those again. If I'm ever poor again I'd sell the e63 and get another 300td

• Like 2

Just black E's.  Started with a 1991 190.  Had a couple of 320s, then a 350 (that I retired at 250k) and am currently with a 2009 350 that's around 100k.  I'm a fan of the 6 cylinder engines -- plenty of speed and decent gas mileage on the road.  All have been great cars.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

21 hours ago, Gladeite said:

My S550 had the air suspension go out over time.  Had an independent shop do each corner for $800 per.  MBs are well known for this failure.  AMG package had 20" wheels that were 275 in the rear and 235 in the front.  

That, my friends, is how you humblebrag.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blacklab said:

absolutely

I always get them 5-7 years old with 50k-75k miles and they are about 1/3 of the new car price. I really love this e63 and kinda want to keep it forever. I'm looking around at jeeps and will greatly reduce the number of miles I put on the benz so it will last longer. I'm also contemplating looking for a newer one with really low miles that I can then keep a long time.

Every time I see a mid 80's 300td I get the urge to get one of those again. If I'm ever poor again I'd sell the e63 and get another 300td

CSB a friend of mine's Mom in high school had a 300TD, probably an '82.  One time, the group had been drinking, but I had not had but one or two, so they made me drive them somewhere in his Mom's car.  Between the gated shifter and having to damn near floor the thing to get it to move from a stop, it was a horrifying tipsy-driving experience.  /csb

Sort of a thread shit but...for those asking why pay so much for a car...we had been driving a top of the line Toyota. When it came time to replace we test drove a medium price Volvo and then a new top of the line Toyota. The difference was not even subtle. The Volvo felt like "a machine". The Toyota felt like "a toy". Been Volvo loyal since. Maintenance and repair can occasionally be a beating, but it's a pleasure to drive every time. Friend of mine once said, about his expensive cars, "It's not just a pleasure when I drive it off the lot. It's a pleasure every time I drive it." You do pay for that "pleasure", but it doesn't go away.  

Okay, back to Mercedes discussion. 

Got rid of my C300 when I changed jobs and started 500+ miles a week commute. No point in burning through all those miles (and the maintenance). Bought a low mileage CTS. Similar cars, but the maintenance is dirt cheap by comparison and I don't have to drive 70 miles to get it done. Still want another MB but I don't need or have room for 2 cars right now. Will definitely buy another MB someday.

If you have access to USAA, they often have “certificates” for either BMW or Mercedes. They had a $3500 “certificat” when I bought my e350. Dealers were almost fighting over it - said it was basically like $3500 cash for them.

Got mine about 10k off MSRP (2014). Dallas was much better dealing than Austin as usual (surprised your MIL got $ off) - my experience w/Austin dealers basically say MSRP of GTFO.

Remember now Perry Phenix was the sales guy (SMU college - played S for Tennessee Titans and Carolina Panthers). And my other car (Acura) sales guy was Gary Clark Sr. (Son is Jr. - somewhat famous dude - let me know that after bought the car) @ Acura Austin. Got raked on that car - basically MSRP.

19 minutes ago, blacklab said:

Yes, e's and s's are good, c's not so much.

My one bad MB buy was a very sporty 2005 C230 Kompressor that I bought as a surprise for my bride to celebrate the fact that the kids were now grown up, had their own cars, and that she didn't have to drive a mini-van any more.  Bad move.  That car had so many issues.  We off-loaded it after a couple of years.

Funny thing, as common as turbos are these days, I have never owned a vehicle with a turbocharged engine.  Those of us of a certain age recall the hassles of the early ones and may be permanently prejudiced.  It may be irrational, like my fear of >100k ownership.

I will say that they seem to have found a styling formula for the C-class that finally makes them look less like the runts that they are.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Yes, e's and s's are good, c's not so much.

Agree. Mid to lower end of all German cars do not compete well with their non-German competitors in terms of price-quality ratio, IMO. C-class (non AMG of course) 528, 3 series, and below all fall into this category.

What do gals think of the MB SUV's?  
I am not talking about the G-Class as I am not a member of the Surly 1%.    Yet.....
GLE or GLC is probably in our price range on the CPO market.

I've been looking at both the GLE and GLS for our next purchase. I like both and used prices really aren't too bad. Unfortunately I looked at the new GLE and now the old one looks...old.

Really though, a 2018 GLE would probably fit our needs just fine. The GLS is probably overkill, but I'd be tempted at the right price.

6 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Agree. Mid to lower end of all German cars do not compete well with their non-German competitors in terms of price-quality ratio, IMO. C-class (non AMG of course) 528, 3 series, and below all fall into this category.

5 series?  I'd consider that pretty comparable to an E.  However, twice now I have looked at gently used 5-series and been sufficiently uncompelled, particularly adding in costly service and potential problems, to go with something else.  I was also not compelled by a lower build E class last time around.

Edited by TwiceHorn