Derrick Johnson signs a one-day contract to retire with the Chiefs

Machinator

Another one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and mother one of my favorite Longhorns of all time. For me he's the best college linebacker I've seen, even better than Willis, Keuchley, Teo, you name it; DJ was absolutely dominant at Texas. Man I'm gonna miss watching that dude play. Hook em DJ! 🤘🏼 

say, does anyone have the video of him obliterating Cody Pickett in the 2001 Holiday Bowl?

• Like 1

great player, great longhorn, great texan.  love d.j.  i remember we played tech at home early in the season in 2001 (his freshman year).  we absolutely buttfucked them in that game and i remember freshman d.j. ranging the whole field killing people...dominated all the way to the michigan game in 2004.  only regret for d.j. is never beating ou.  

also, remember him playing for waco high in 2000 against my h.s. alma mater in the playoffs...fucking dude completely wrecked with 30 solo tackles in that game.  was elated to get him after seeing that to say the least.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 1

Great career.

I've never understood the need to sign a one-day contract to retire from that team. Can't a team can hold a retirement celebration for anyone without a contract. Or is there some weird union rule that disallows celebrating a player that doesn't play for you. 

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Another one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and mother one of my favorite Longhorns of all time. For me he's the best college linebacker I've seen, even better than Willis, Keuchley, Teo, you name it; DJ was absolutely dominant at Texas. Man I'm gonna miss watching that dude play. Hook em DJ! 🤘🏼 

say, does anyone have the video of him obliterating Cody Pickett in the 2001 Holiday Bowl?

Skip to the 2:25 mark for the sack, then 3:00 for the pick.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Great career.

I've never understood the need to sign a one-day contract to retire from that team. Can't a team can hold a retirement celebration for anyone without a contract. Or is there some weird union rule that disallows celebrating a player that doesn't play for you. 

It's just more for the feels.

He was signing autographs outside the cotton bowl in 05. My dad and I finally get up to the table a s my dad asks him how much do you wish you were playing today. Not that he needed to verbally it because you could see it in his eyes but he just a gave a smirk and said "you have no idea"

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I guess I'm getting old because I absolutely don't remember that game

Lol.  Then I'm guessing you don't remember we went to the HB the year before as well, losing to the Ducks and the Victor Ike 93 yard kickoff return.

On 5/2/2019 at 11:18 AM, Huckleberry said:

BOLO PUNCH!

Dude should be a Hall of Famer but without researching it I would tend to believe he won't make it. Small market, no titles.

Such conflicting feelings when I see that play. On the one hand, it is flat out incredible. On the other, it reminds me that we showed up with VY, Benson, Roy Williams (did he even play? Can't remember), and Bo Scaife... And got shut out.

One of my favorite plays was when DJ came across the line untouched and ran way behind the QB, he was going so fast. QB was dropped back, standing tall and apparently didn’t her the LB directly behind him. DJ just pushed him to the ground from behind. QB toppled over like a rag doll.

20 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Such conflicting feelings when I see that play. On the one hand, it is flat out incredible. On the other, it reminds me that we showed up with VY, Benson, Roy Williams (did he even play? Can't remember), and Bo Scaife... And got shut out.

Roy wasn't on the 2004 team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 5/2/2019 at 11:53 AM, Goo Punch said:

For me he's the best college linebacker I've seen, even better than Willis, Keuchley, Teo, you name it; DJ was absolutely dominant at Texas.

Pretty sure I’ve got at least two decades on you, and the only other two college linebackers I saw play who are in the same conversation as DJ were Mike Singletary and Chris Speilman.

DJs record speaks for itself in this crowd. 

Singletary was at Baylor the same time as my sister, and we would go see 2-3 games a year. Singletary at Baylor was like Forest Whitaker in Fast Times - “Singletary. Singletary. Singletary”.

Chris Speilman was on a Wheaties box in fucking high school, and he lived up to the hype both in college and in the NFL. He’s a Buckeye and and a douche (redundant, I realize) but he was one hell of a football player...

Edited by Ignatius
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

Pretty sure I’ve got at least two decades on you, and the only other two college linebackers I saw play who are in the same conversation as DJ were Mike Singletary and Chris Speilman.

DJs record speaks for itself in this crowd. 

Singletary was at Baylor the same time as my sister, and we would go see 2-3 games a year. Singletary at Baylor was like Forest Whitaker in Fast Times - “Singletary. Singletary. Singletary”.

Chris Speilman was on a Wheaties box in fucking high school, and he lived up to the hype both in college and in the NFL. He’s a Buckeye and and a douche (redundant, I realize) but he was one hell of a football player...

Nobis.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ignatius said:

As a Texas and Michigan grad, I'm usually all aboard the Ohio State hate train, but Spielman is one guy that I have no problem with. When he quit playing to take care of his wife, it told me all I needed to know...that said, well done, Derrick! Hook'em!

Edited by IDIOTsavant

59 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

He weigh about 190 now?
BOLO punch.

It’s crazy how much good weight some of these guys can put on with proper nutrition and training. When and if they slim down, they’re not that much bigger than average for their height. David Pollack was at least as big as DJ when they entered the NFL in 2005. 

4 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

It’s crazy how much good weight some of these guys can put on with proper nutrition and training. When and if they slim down, they’re not that much bigger than average for their height. David Pollack was at least as big as DJ when they entered the NFL in 2005. 

Don't forget the supplements.  

• 1 year later...

Whoa, DJ has lost some weight. Always interesting how so many NFL guys have completely different bodies in their retirement. He probably had to work hard to  keep in the 245 lb range he played in. 

Edited by UncleSonny
Posted without noticing that the weight thing is actually discussed upthread