Best Breakfast Food

SurlyORama

naw mate
you use enough grease, then throw em in a colander lined with paper towels; immediately, while fresh off the pan, throw in the green onions and toss em around
the residual heat and grease is enough to sautee the onions outside of the pan JUST enough, and they add lightness to balance out the bacon fat and paprika.
if your green onions turn brown you cooked em too much; if they stay crunchy you cooked em not enough

Actually both correct. Onions in the bacon grease (plus diced fresh jalapeños) and toss in green onions and chopped parsley at the end.

12 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Actually both correct. Onions in the bacon grease (plus diced fresh jalapeños) and toss in green onions and chopped parsley at the end.

Ackshuallly no. I'm tellin' ya, don't put onions of any kind in there. If you want that sweetness, serve it with fruit on the side later or something. I've done the onions thing before, and it wrecks the texture and flavor of what I'm aiming for.

Beer served in wax cups and Fletcher's corny dogs are quite obviously the best breakfast food combo!

Kickoff time set for Football vs. Oklahoma

The Longhorns and Sooners will square off in the 2022 AT&T Red River Showdown on Oct. 8 at 11:00 a.m. CT on ABC.

https://texassports.com/news/2022/9/26/kickoff-time-set-for-football-vs-oklahoma.aspx

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

You make your taters I’ll make mine.

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin', man. These aren't the potatoes you're makin.

It's like if I had told ya about mashed potatoes and you'd suggested I bake em and stuff em with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon and chives instead. They're delicious that way, yeah, but baked potato and mashed potatoes are different dishes, and you prepare em differently, because you have different goals. You don't dump milk into your baked potato (although pretty much anything you put in a baked potato is pretty good in mashed).

Anyhow I'm getting hungry

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Yeah, that's what I'm sayin', man. These aren't the potatoes you're makin.

It's like if I had told ya about mashed potatoes and you'd suggested I bake em and stuff em with butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon and chives instead. They're delicious that way, yeah, but baked potato and mashed potatoes are different dishes, and you prepare em differently, because you have different goals. You don't dump milk into your baked potato (although pretty much anything you put in a baked potato is pretty good in mashed).

Anyhow I'm getting hungry

A little heavy cream makes mashed potatoes way better than milk.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

A little heavy cream makes mashed potatoes way better than milk.

4 hours ago, ztejas said:

I add sour cream.

4 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

That works as does some cream cheese.

Yep

I'm a heavy cream/sour cream guy personally.

To go back to the topic, there are some breakfast foods that go in the Breakfast Hall of Fame:

Yes, the breakfast taco.  In most all of its incarnations.

Biscuits and gravy.

Perfectly cooked bacon -- crispy, but not crumbly.

Hash browns: both the shredded kind cooked in a skillet, and the awesome preformed patties of fast-food fame.

Grits.  Just....grits.

Fluffy pancakes.

Belgian waffles.

Black pudding (yeah, I went UK on you, so what?  And I know not everyone likes it...but those who like it love it).

Boudin balls from a coonass gas station (yep, I went coonass on you, too).

Eggs, cooked to order.  That means sunny-side-up, over-medium, poached, fluffy scrambled, even an omelette -- however you want them, EXECUTE, and make them well.

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

To go back to the topic, there are some breakfast foods that go in the Breakfast Hall of Fame:

Biscuits and gravy.

Hash browns: both the shredded kind cooked in a skillet, and the awesome preformed patties of fast-food fame.

Grits.  Just....grits.

Fluffy pancakes.

Belgian waffles.

Black pudding (yeah, I went UK on you, so what?  And I know not everyone likes it...but those who like it love it).

Eggs, cooked to order.  That means sunny-side-up, over-medium, poached, fluffy scrambled, even an omelette -- however you want them, EXECUTE, and make them well.

Migas, migas con chorizo, huevos rancheros...

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Biscuits and gravy.

Grits.  Just....grits.

Fluffy pancakes.

Belgian waffles.

Put me on the black pudding and boudin balls train. I’ve had black pudding in Kilkenny, Ireland and boudin balls from Scott, Louisiana. Both outstanding.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Biscuits and gravy.

Grits.  Just....grits.

Fluffy pancakes.

Belgian waffles.

Hash browns are great in most forms but breakfast potatoes are far superior....

spacer.png

• Drool 2

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

What's the difference?  Seriously, they look like most "home fries" I've been served (sometimes they're crispier, sometimes they're not, that's the only variation I can think of).  So...educate me.

Home fries were always more like this to me...

We always called the ones above "diced potatoes" or "skillet potatoes"

southern-home-fries-featured-1.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Just now, Deej said:

Huh.  I googled "home fries," and came up with pics that look pretty much like the potatoes I originally referenced.  But you're right, I also recall getting potatoes with some veggies like onions and peppers stir fried in there.  But again....generally all called home fries.

Whatever they are.....I think hash browns (of both varieties) are the superior breakfast choice....

__opt__aboutcom__coeus__resources__conte

homemade_mcdonalds_hashbrowns-scaled.jpe

The best breakfasts in the free world occur daily in New Mexico at various establishments.
IMG_9279.thumb.jpeg.c175c7de904f2651f9cc9a73e109132f.jpeg
I need a road trip.

This is a very true statement. Breakfast is always so good wherever you go. The only thing I’d change in your pic is add some sopapillas with butter and honey. New Mexico my favorite breakfast, followed by New Orleans, Japan, and Oregon.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:35 AM, Deej said:

Those aren't home fries. 

Yes they are.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:40 AM, Deej said:

We always called the ones above "diced potatoes" or "skillet potatoes"

I don’t see much of a distinction. Try doing that with a russet potato. I’m down with the little cubes. Always seen them called home fries. I love hash browns but home fries are easier to make at home.

Here I mixed red and yellow skin potatoes.

IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.f916681a46346ffbc9a251a4793d0e44.jpeg

IMG_4846.thumb.jpeg.5db8400f3daa12a4dabae1e589ee2199.jpeg

The omelet came out wedge shaped but the homemade chipotle sauce came out great.

IMG_4882.thumb.jpeg.4b835364f7fb07da6708ac35af5efb5e.jpeg

This omelet came out better. But I was running out of sauce.

IMG_5006.thumb.jpeg.9b812e27c5754e9ebee3ee36f2863559.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wife has Celiac’s and bought these shitty gluten free tortillas. They expire tomorrow so I had to think something up.

Sautéed them in oil until they were crispy, and topped with eggs that had chive sour cream whisked in, and were scrambled with red onions, leftover smoked pork shoulder, shallot, garlic, cheddar and Parmesan.

Finished the whole thing with a couple different hot sauces my mom made, pickled japs from a buddy’s garden, and my own homegrown salsa. Chase with black coffee.

ec566a3bf8eb27fc5b5a86cb1fdb69b5.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Wife has Celiac’s 

Side note: I never really understood Celiac’s until a couple summers ago when we were in Rosemary Beach with two other families, one whose wife has Celiac’s. We’ve always accommodated her diet with dinner parties and planned to do so on vacation. One night the kids were in charge of dinner and made bolognese. Her daughter accidentally mixed in some regular pasta with the gluten free batch, and we didn’t realize it until a few bites in. She ended up throwing up for most of the night. Just from a couple bites of regular pasta. Apparently gluten is like food poisoning to some folks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Side note: I never really understood Celiac’s until a couple summers ago when we were in Rosemary Beach with two other families, one whose wife has Celiac’s. We’ve always accommodated her diet with dinner parties and planned to do so on vacation. One night the kids were in charge of dinner and made bolognese. Her daughter accidentally mixed in some regular pasta with the gluten free batch, and we didn’t realize it until a few bites in. She ended up throwing up for most of the night. Just from a couple bites of regular pasta. Apparently gluten is like food poisoning to some folks.

My wife usually gets effected on the other end.

She intentionally drank a couple beers last Saturday to try and relieve constipation and ended up puking multiple times.

It’s crazy, because she wasn’t always this way. Just progressively got worse.

• 5 weeks later...

Always parboil and dry your diced potatoes before you fry them. They cook up crispier and faster if you do that step. A pro move is to put a pinch of baking soda in the water. It’ll create cracks and crevasses in the potato exterior and the potatoes will have an even crispier exterior with an airy interior.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2