2019 NBA FInals - Warriors vs. Raptors

NowThis

I get a 2014 Finals vibe. One team is just clearly playing better and the other team can't do anything about it. Raptors playing beautiful ball. Kawhi playing better than he did that Finals run. That ended the Heat dynasty. Not sure if this will end the Warriors dynasty.

19 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I bet Danny Ainge is thinking right now "Man am I glad I have Jaylan Brown & Marcus smart instead of Kawhi."

I wonder what Demarcus Cousins is thinking. Dude sacrificed a big payday to chase a ring, got injured, has looked very subpar, and probably won't even end up with a ring or a good contract for his troubles.

Edited by satyanash

51 minutes ago, satyanash said:

I wonder what Demarcus Cousins is thinking. Dude sacrificed a big payday to chase a ring, got injured, has looked very subpar, and probably won't even end up with a ring or a good contract for his troubles.

He’s thinking he really hopes KD can play and play well next game.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:37 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Ummmm wut? Warriors found their original groove without KD. The only way this series is interesting is if he actually does come back and ruins what they built. People still think Warriors without KD is some bad thing?

lmao what a fucking idiot.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

I get a 2014 Finals vibe. One team is just clearly playing better and the other team can't do anything about it. Raptors playing beautiful ball. Kawhi playing better than he did that Finals run. That ended the Heat dynasty. Not sure if this will end the Warriors dynasty.

without durant, there is no warrior dynasty.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SDG said:

So a Texas defector vs. a Longhorn...

I get it, I’m both a Coug (Klay) and Longhorn (KD) but not really an NBA fan in general so I go college.  

KD isn't playing, and I don't really care Kawaii left the Spurs. He's getting revenge on the team that took him out of the game for 2 years with their dirty play.

I'm not much of an NBA or NFL fan, but I wouldn't act like KD is a 'lifetime Longhorn legend' or anything. I was a Freshman when he was at Texas. He was one (half) and done, didn't drag AJ, DJ, and Damion very far in the tournament. Hasn't been involved with the university since.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, Zavala said:

KD isn't playing, and I don't really care Kawaii left the Spurs. He's getting revenge on the team that took him out of the game for 2 years with their dirty play.

I'm not much of an NBA or NFL fan, but I wouldn't act like KD is a 'lifetime Longhorn legend' or anything. I was a Freshman when he was at Texas. He was one (half) and done, didn't drag AJ, DJ, and Damion very far in the tournament. Hasn't been involved with the university since.

Yeah he should’ve donated a few million to the program! Oh wait...

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

This is the most retarded thing I've seen posted all month. Some of you are fucking paint eaters I swear to God.

Because he’s most likely right or you just don’t u understand the way dynasties work?  Could the Warriors win the last 2 without him?  Yep.  Percentages?  Less than 50% in my estimation.  So let’s say they win in 2017 but lose last year to the Rockets.  2 in 5 years is a dynasty now?  Shit the New York Giants are happy with your assessment.  Still a great squad but they lose a little luster...

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Haha 1

I will say, as much as I wish Kawhi would occasionally show a little emotion, I fucking love that he doesn't flop, embellish, wine, or create bullshit contact. He may be the only elite player in the league that can claim this. And he still gets to the foul line plenty; they won't, but it would be cool if others followed suit.

• Like 3

Two superstars in this series (with KD out):

Looks like a pretty much wash.  Now factor in Kawhi’s D and probably skews his way but except for tonight, Steph had been amazing. All superstars need help, it’s just a matter of how that help comes and when it materializes. Love this series and hope it goes 7.  Really different approaches.  Also, some think I hate on klay and I don’t try to so whatever, but dude was a fucking baller tonight.  Props.

Edit:  shit, before this game but still the idea remains.  Kawhi > Steph???

If ( and I doubt it), Kd and Kawhi teamed up on the clippers, with health... could they be stopped for 2-3 years?

Edited by Patrick Bateman

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

O'Dell Beckham sitting courtside.

62181612_10157118708486006_8937013532004

Is this the first time in professional sports history a pro athlete has shown up at a public event - completely unrelated to his sport - wearing a jersey from his employer? 

I can't see Sydney Crosby going to the movies in a Lemieux sweater or Aaron Judge going to the beach in a Reggie Jackson throwback. 

7 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Feels the same to me. One team is just peaking at the perfect time, the other is noticeably tired/injured/older than they were at the start of the run.

Don't get me wrong, both teams healthy I think GSW in 5, maybe 6. Right now, I'm pretty sure KD is not coming back, I can see GS winning game 5, maybe even game 6 back at home, but the wear & tear on Curry/Klay by game 7 may be too much to overcome. On the same token, they could easily shoot poorly and lose game 5 by 20.

6 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

without durant, there is no warrior dynasty.  

I actually agree with this. If no KD, I'm pretty sure CLE wins handily in 2017. That CLE team was actually really, really good, they just ran into the absolutely best incarnation of these GSW teams.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, satyanash said:

Did he really turn down a big payday? I didn’t think anyone wanted him.

Pelicans offered 2 for 40, allegedly.  Seems fair for a guy coming off a potentially career ending injury.  He have to sign for 35 million next season to even out. But maybe he learned how to be a good teammate in Oakland

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/warriors/did-pelicans-offer-demarcus-cousins-contract-only-me-and-dell-demps-know-what-was-said

6 hours ago, aggie08 said:

I will say, as much as I wish Kawhi would occasionally show a little emotion, I fucking love that he doesn't flop, embellish, wine, or create bullshit contact. He may be the only elite player in the league that can claim this. And he still gets to the foul line plenty; they won't, but it would be cool if others followed suit.

It's also interesting to contrast Kawhi in the Raptors system vs Lebron in the Cavs "system," if you can actually call it a system.

While there is a ton of ball movement with the Raptors and everyone seems to get involved, Lebron (although I love his game) was a ball stopper and never demonstrated the ability to play within a team-oriented, egalitarian offense.

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Well I sure as shit didn't see this coming, thought GS would win this easily even without KD. nice to see Toronto pick up Draymond before he gets up a head of steam face breaking, fucking Portland never even tried.

Toronto was very impressive vs Milwaukee, which itself was very impressive this season (probably the best regular season team in 18-19) - I certainly didn't foresee a gentleman's sweep (possibly), but I knew Toronto was going to give GS a good fight.

29 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah, if he's not even practicing yet, I have a hard time believing he'll be on the court Monday night.

KD has played his last game with GS. Man, this offseason is going to be epic with the biggest stars up for grabs. 

19 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

Well I sure as shit didn't see this coming, thought GS would win this easily even without KD. nice to see Toronto pick up Draymond before he gets up a head of steam face breaking, fucking Portland never even tried.

yeah, but realizing the veteran maturity and talent level, makes more sense now.   KL, Green, Ibaka have Finals experience.  Gasol is a good big.  Lots of vets from the West

KL, Green - Spurs

Gasol - Grizz

Ibaka - OKC

Lowry & Lin - Rockets

McCaw and Boucher were with GS last year. McCaw is about to 3-peat.

This is the most retarded thing I've seen posted all month. Some of you are fucking paint eaters I swear to God.
Nope. The Cavs figured them out. They come back again with the same squad and that 2017 Cavs team does the same thing to them again. In all honestly, I am not sure that they would beat Terminator Lebron(2018) either. We keep forgetting the only thing they won without KD is when everyone they played was hurt. They struggled mightily the next year, and got lucky to make it past the Thunder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sweetnsourpoke said:

Is this the first time in professional sports history a pro athlete has shown up at a public event - completely unrelated to his sport - wearing a jersey from his employer? 

I can't see Sydney Crosby going to the movies in a Lemieux sweater or Aaron Judge going to the beach in a Reggie Jackson throwback. 

CSB, when David Wells pitched for the Yankees, he bought a Babe Ruth game worn hat at an auction and wore it all the time, including during games.

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Nope. The Cavs figured them out. They come back again with the same squad and that 2017 Cavs team does the same thing to them again. In all honestly, I am not sure that they would beat Terminator Lebron(2018) either. We keep forgetting the only thing they won without KD is when everyone they played was hurt. They struggled mightily the next year, and got lucky to make it past the Thunder.

Cavs come back from down 3-1: They "figured them out."

Golden State comes back from down 3-1 to OKC: they "got lucky."

That's some mighty fine logic.

And last year's Cavs team beating anyone with a pulse...please.

• Like 1

I think it's fair to question if the West is still really better than the East.
Been saying this. While Toronto is getting the worse version of GS we have seen, the top 3 in the East are better than anything the West has outside of GS. People are confusing "we stole a game or 2 from GS simply because we are familiar with them" with actually being good. It's like when the Horns would lose to Tech or or A&M in football.

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Yeah a lot of Cavs fans are saying "if Lebron stayed, they would beat GS this year"  I have a difficult time believing it and doubt they would have even made the Finals, needing to go through Toronto and/or Milwaukee.

13 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Obviously, top to bottom the West is still considerably better. But the top teams--Milwaukee, Toronto, and Philly--are right there. The 2nd best team in the West never quite reached their quality of play from last season, and after Houston, it's just a lot of nice also-rans.

I'm as guilty as anyone as underestimating the Raptors, and said as much after Game 4 of the ECF. Just couldn't envision the non-Kawhi players stepping up as much as they have. But they make the smart pass, and the extra pass, and force a thin Golden State defense to work the full 24 seconds. They don't get to "rest" waiting for Harden to make his move at the top of the key. And Toronto's defense is full of guys with a history of defending the Warriors' offense as well as it can be in Leonard, Green, Gasol, and Ibaka. Golden State--especially its role players--has largely played like shit, but a lot of that can be attributed to Toronto.

18 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Yes, it's still better, top to bottom (playoff teams).  Nobody cares about 9-15.

3rd seed in the East wouldve been the 5th seed in the West

No two matchups are the same Aggie. GS struggles with long, rangy defenders. You are seeing that now. Then Durant and Westbrook had 3 games in a row where they could hit shit(well Durant was at least decent in game 7) shooting in the 30's, and only scoring 88 points in game 7.

The Cavs series was a different animal. It took them a couple of game to get used to the pace and figure out how to defend them but by game 3 you could see the difference. Even when they lost game 4 it was different then how the first two went.

And let's be real. If this Toronto team had to face a fully loaded GS squad, they would maybe win one game. They arent even getting the healthy 2016 version. That 2018 Cavs team would beat this version of GS too.

9 hours ago, Zavala said:

Hey, Zavala your stupid is showing.

Main_Hallway.jpg

In honor of Kevin Durant's $3 million contribution to the University in 2017, the main entrance to the Denton A. Cooley Pavilion is named The Kevin Durant Texas Basketball Center. In addition, the men's basketball facilities are renamed The Kevin Durant Basketball Facility for Men.

9 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

That Tech education isn’t working out so well for you, is it? Without KD, they probably only have one title right now and that title was against a Cavs team missing 2 of its best 3 players and it still went 6 games. They almost definitely lose to the Cavs in 2017 and the Rockets in 2018 and clearly wouldn’t win it this year, either. Even say they win one of those titles, 2 titles in 5 years isn’t a dynasty.

32 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Been saying this. While Toronto is getting the worse version of GS we have seen, the top 3 in the East are better than anything the West has outside of GS. People are confusing "we stole a game or 2 from GS simply because we are familiar with them" with actually being good. It's like when the Horns would lose to Tech or or A&M in football.

If you’re talking about the top teams in each conference, then yeah there’s an argument, but the West is clearly better overall. After GSW and the East’s big 3, the Next 7 best teams are all from the West and there’s about 11 teams in the West that could’ve finished as a 6 seed or higher in the East.

• Like 3

The only reason it wouldn’t have been a dynasty without KD is because KD probably stops that dynasty on another team? You guys get that, right? If it were just a matter of KD not existing, the warriors are probably in the finals at least 4 out of the last 5 years. Houston maybe being the only exception, but even they probably would’ve found a way to lose that series. When they’re in the finals, assuming health, anything could happen.

The fact that we’re arguing about a top 10 all time player getting them over the hump is laughable. This years team wasn’t really built to sustain losing KD (from a roster standpoint) yet they still went on the road and won against Houston in an elimination game for Houston, and swept a (fraud) blazers team. Injuries caught up to them this year. Is it an excuse, fuck no. Not for this team who had the luxury of winning their first title the same way. But some of you are acting like there is no middle ground between having KD and losing to the raptors in 5, as if this team is healthy and at full strength. 

But after a certain point I have to give credit where it’s due. The raptors are a lot better than I thought they were. I didn’t think there was any way they would get these types of performances from Lowry, Green, siakam, and VanVleet. I underestimated those 4 guys a lot more than I should have. Kawhi is exactly who I thought he was, though.