Who's going to be the first one banned from Surly?

On 2/18/2019 at 4:26 PM, Sleep off ugly said:

I’m a relatively new poster, but kyle/ whatever name needs an ip ban imho.

that fucker is nothing but a troll/moron.

why not both gif

i agree that he's either a total troll or an epic moron, but from what i've seen he hasn't done anything to deserve an ip ban. if he is trolling he's pretty good at coming off as sincere, and isn't overtly trolling. i tend to lean towards epic moron, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was trolling. 

Edited by Goo Punch

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

i agree that he's either a total troll or an epic moron, but from what i've seen he hasn't done anything to deserve an ip ban. if he is trolling he's pretty good at coming off as sincere, and isn't overtly trolling. i tend to lean towards epic moron, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was trolling. 

You know I think you’re right D, and I think you and troph bring up a larger point. 

I know that this isn’t a gov ran site but it seems we follow the outline of the 1st amendment. Trolling is bullshit but unless proved should put up with.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, Sleep off ugly said:

You know I think you’re right D, and I think you and troph bring up a larger point. 

I know that this isn’t a gov ran site but it seems we follow the outline of the 1st amendment. Trolling is bullshit but unless proved should put up with.

Because you're a fucking sock and likely one of the chief trollers on here. 

Restrict the number of posts new users can make and lower the threshold for crowd-source banning for new accounts. 

2 hours ago, troph said:

Does trolling require insincerity of a position? Bc sometimes folks get called that and I actually believe they are sincere in their awful positions.

Yes, and more importantly an intention to "start shit."  Troll is being overused around here of late for unpopular posters/opinions.  Being dumb, objectively wrong, or even provocative does not constitute "trolling" under its conventional definition as a bannable offense.

3 hours ago, suddenly shaggy said:

Restrict the number of posts new users can make and lower the threshold for crowd-source banning for new accounts. 

Oh gosh! You caught me! 

Dude/dudette you should know what the hell you’re talking about before you post.

Oh gosh! You caught me! 

Dude/dudette you should know what the hell you’re talking about before you post.

Edited by Sleep off ugly
Double post cause my phone sucks
  • Fuck You 1

I like this place because it’s not an echo chamber. So I’m probably much more lenient on bannings than some but worthless posts by posters who don’t add any value even if I disagree are a total annoyance and keeping the board worthwhile for folks to come and join in the convo requires some maintenance and housecleaning from time to time. Mostly if some one annoys the crap out of me I avoid them the worst 2-3 I’ll put on ignore and a few others y’all have crowdsourced. So I don’t know about full on first amendment but certainly I think leeway is a good trait for a message board in this day and age of Facebook style hidden and covert curation and echo chambers.

@immamac @blacklab @hayden_horn

if i can prove that someone is legitimately stalking and trolling me can they get a timeout? or can i get a restraining order? @immortal13 has become unhinged, and his last several posts towards me are quintessential examples of legitimate trolling. I've ignored him thus far but he's really making it hard to ignore lately. i responded to him for the first time earlier today and he's just ramped it up since then. all i ask is that you look into it. 

for example this is his latest response to me (and ftr my post had zero to do with Rick Barnes) :

79eb2ec88938bb3f6f7d72d872e105a0.jpg

I literally could not fit his entire post into my screenshot. He's been doing this for months, and it's has really ratcheted up lately, across multiple boards. in my opinion this deserves a warning if not a timeout.

Edited by Goo Punch