Handicap Parking Placards are Bullshit

Neonmoon

I can’t remember the last time I actually saw a real handicap person use a handicap parking space. Some people deserve a space. If they have a wheelchair, missing a leg, etc. They get a space. 

Most people are lying pieces of shit who had surgery 2 years ago, stole their grandmothers placard, made a fake placard, or just generally fat fucks who can’t walk far. If you are too our of shape to walk, then stay the fuck home. 

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

I get his frustration.  The last couple years my dad was alive I would take him out to eat once or twice a week, which involved a transport wheelchair because he couldn’t walk much.  Inevitably all the handicapped spaces were taken, mostly by fat people with no other apparent disability.  So I would find another regular space and have to risk a fall getting him from the car door to the chair at the back of the car.  Fuck those people.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tucker said:

I get the olds but usually fatties

Well, I’m old, morbidly obese, recent heart attack, and do not have a handicap tag of any kind. No emotional support critter either. What do I win, besides 10% off coupon at Cook-Walden?

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Well, I’m old, morbidly obese, recent heart attack, and do not have a handicap tag of any kind. No emotional support critter either. What do I win, besides 10% off coupon at Cook-Walden?

Yeah but you are old, I don’t have a problem with seniors who have placards or tags, for the most part I figure they’re legit.  The people I am talking about are generally middle aged.  At least under 60.  

yep people abuse the system.  Being obese itself shouldn’t give a doctor a reason to sign off but if they have mobility or cardiac problems, they qualify.   And I don’t know if most docs really care that much to argue it unless the patient is 100% healthy.

to me it’s bs when someone young and healthy is driving grandma, and they jump out of the car and leave grandma in the car.  It’s not an award for rock star parking because she’s in the car.  She has to get out to use it.  

If you think someone is abusing it and there’s a cop nearby, be Handicap spot Henry to see if a cop can validate the situation.

I'd say a good chunk  of the people using these placards or have the emblem on their car plate are NOT even close to being handicapped and even on a temporary basis.  It used to be once upon a time, the operator or a passenger on the vehicle at least had some visual evidence of being disabled such as a wheelchair or walker.   Now it seems like MD's and DMV's just hand these things out on demand even for the slightest ailment and then it ends up in some relatives hands for them to abuse the privilege.  

Another pet peeve of mine that is kind of related is the increase in the number of people who use the power scooter shopping carts.   In fact I find myself getting more irritated every time I go to a store where they have several of these carts available because some of the users of these things think they have a right to run over you if you don't get out of their way (on top of having the battle the non disabled idiots pushing carts who are on their cells and aren't paying attention) .   And again you see some people using these things who can very well walk and push their own shopping carts.    But with both the car placards and the carts, if one of these stores cracked down on it, they would catch all sorts of heck from the advocacy groups saying they were discriminating against the handicapped and probably in some states and cities, face monetary consequences from them as well as a result of that backlash.  Never mind if the true intent was to reserve the privilege for those who truly need it.   

Edited by Nueces River Rat

I don't know if the grocery stores can crack down on fully mobile people using the electric carts. There doesn't appear to be any stated qualifications or rules. 

Besides some lazy people, I think we're seeing the results of a lifetime of poor eating and exercise habits. A 5'2" woman being 250 lbs for decades has to wreck havoc with her heart and joints. Ever glance into the basket of the electric carts?  We're not taking broccoli and kale in there.  And it's a long walk from the Ho-hos and red drink sections to the pharmacy to get the diabetes medicine.  

Personally I don't care much about people taking the handicap spots.  I prefer taking the far spots to give me an easier exit and this keeps them away from my car.

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I can’t remember the last time I actually saw a real handicap person use a handicap parking space. Some people deserve a space. If they have a wheelchair, missing a leg, etc. They get a space. 

Most people are lying pieces of shit who had surgery 2 years ago, stole their grandmothers placard, made a fake placard, or just generally fat fucks who can’t walk far. If you are too our of shape to walk, then stay the fuck home. 

Yeah, careful there padre.  I have 2 relatives with kinda severe heart conditions who have those cards.  The issue isn't always visible.

lulz! A few years ago I politely informed this lady that was strolling into some shop that she had just illegally taken a handicap space. She gave me an unmistakable “Who the fuck are you?” look and then proceeded to feign a pronounced limp in mid stride. I laughed and have not bothered with such people since.

2 minutes ago, Texas_Rocks said:

lulz! A few years ago I politely informed this lady that was strolling into some shop that she had just illegally taken a handicap space. She gave me an unmistakable “Who the fuck are you?” look and then proceeded to feign a pronounced limp in mid stride. I laughed and have not bothered with such people since.

200.gif

• Like 7

Fat, diabeetus types in scooters piss me off more than handicap scammers.  

Went to an Astros game a few weekends ago and each of the landings coming in from the concourse to the seating sections was clogged with jort wearing, nacho mauling fat asses with swoll ankles stuffed into bargain basement New Balance EEEE width tennis shoes; all on scooters.  

Pitiful. 

• Like 1

So much angst, anger and hate in this thread. Why does it bother you so much where they park?
I'd rather park at the far end of the lot, get a little more exercise and park away from the crowded part of the lot near the door - even in the rain or snow. But hey, that's just me.

• Like 2

My issue is the businesses that have like 143 handicap spaces, which puts the rest of the public like 1/2 mile away from the door, when it's more than fucking obvious that 4-5 will more than do.  I'm all for a helping hand, but do you really need enough spaces to accommodate half of Austin's handicap population, when I've never, ever, ever, ever, ever, seen like more than 2 spaces out of 15 used at the same time.  Ever.  Did I say ever?

Just do some maths.  You can always switch back if we have an epidemic of epidemics.

Edited by phdhorn

1 minute ago, Wally Fairway said:

So much angst, anger and hate in this thread. Why does it bother you so much where they park?
I'd rather park at the far end of the lot, get a little more exercise and park away from the crowded part of the lot near the door - even in the rain or snow. But hey, that's just me.

Cause people suck.

• Like 1

I’m just saying there needs to be stricter enforcement. I keep seeing assholes jump out of their card and run into the store, 

Could have been me. I drove my parents to a store. I got out and skipped to the store. My mom was embarrassed partially by me skipping, partially for making it look like the card was a fraud. My dad was less amused.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

My issue is the businesses that have like 143 handicap spaces, which puts the rest of the public like 1/2 mile away from the door, when it's more than fucking obvious that 4-5 will more than do.  I'm all for a helping hand, but do you really need enough spaces to accommodate half of Austin's handicap population, when I've never, ever, ever, ever, ever, seen like more than 2 spaces out of 15 used at the same time.  Ever.  Did I say ever?

Just do some maths.  You can always switch back if we have an epidemic of epidemics.

The business doesn't set the number, it's a code issue.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The business doesn't set the number, it's a code issue.

Well in that case it explains it.  Government dumbassery.  You don't need 36 spaces taking up an acre when in the entire history of the world there's never been more than 4-5 used at once.

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, careful there padre.  I have 2 relatives with kinda severe heart conditions who have those cards.  The issue isn't always visible.

Honest question.  If they are still able to walk inside whatever place they are going to, does not walking an extra 50 ft make that much of a difference?  

I like the occasional "parent with child" parking.  I roll in there with my 7 year old.

2 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Honest question.  If they are still able to walk inside whatever place they are going to, does not walking an extra 50 ft make that much of a difference?  

I like the occasional "parent with child" parking.  I roll in there with my 7 year old.

Not much of an argument from me, but it's sometimes more than 50', and in the summer the heat can be an issue for some folks. I'm not a fan of much of the ADA stuff, and I'm seeing more handicapped spaces appearing in mall parking lots everywhere I go.

I think a lot of the ADA stuff is utter BS, but that's the federal gov't in action.

Just now, formermav43 said:

I’m not sure which side of the argument that refers to, but it’s probably good for both.

Oh it works both ways. I know people who have one the really don't need one, and I know people park in those spaces when they don''t have a card. I sure as shit ain't gonna be thy guy.

I park out way from other people cause the ones that really suck are the ones who hit your car with their bumper or car doors.  Those fuckers need a severe beat down.

15 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not much of an argument from me, but it's sometimes more than 50', and in the summer the heat can be an issue for some folks. I'm not a fan of much of the ADA stuff, and I'm seeing more handicapped spaces appearing in mall parking lots everywhere I go.

I think a lot of the ADA stuff is utter BS, but that's the federal gov't in action.

Yep.  And in an effort to be accommodating,  some cites and locales go beyond what ADA mandates.   Especially at public venues like convention centers, etc.  

The intent of ADA is good and was probably needed when it was passed.    But like with many laws and regs,  it disallows the use of common sense and judgment.    For example,  I see road projects around here where TxDot and the city had to install wheelchair friendly ramps at intersections where no sidewalks connect to them.   And I pass by these same intersections several times a day almost everyday and have yet to see one person in a wheelchair waiting to cross the street or even an able bodied pedestrians.    The state has probably spent millions of dollars over the years for similar projects in low or no use areas for such ramps.  I get needing them in places like downtowns,  near transit stations and other high demand areas like shopping districts, etc.     But not out in the middle of nowhere or where demand inside the city is almost non  existent. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh it works both ways. I know people who have one the really don't need one, and I know people park in those spaces when they don''t have a card. I sure as shit ain't gonna be thy guy.

I park out way from other people cause the ones that really suck are the ones who hit your car with their bumper or car doors.  Those fuckers need a severe beat down.

I was throwing the op in there too, unless he has the magical ability to diagnose people on sight.

Just now, Nueces River Rat said:

Yep.  And in an effort to be accommodating,  some cites and locales go beyond what ADA mandates.   Especially at public venues like convention centers, etc.  

The intent of ADA is good and was probably needed when it was passed.    But like with many laws and regs,  it disallows the use of common sense and judgment.    For example,  I see road projects around here where TxDot and the city had to install wheelchair friendly ramps at intersections where no sidewalks connect to them.   And I pass by these same intersections several times a day almost everyday and have yet to see one person in a wheelchair waiting to cross the street or even an able bodied pedestrian.    The state has probably spent millions of dollars over the years for similar projects in low or no use areas for such ramps.  I get needing them in places like downtowns,  near transit stations and other high demand areas like shopping districts, etc.     But not out in the middle of nowhere or where demand inside the city is almost non  existent. 

The ADA has, and continues to morph into something it was never intended to be.  There's a huge industry related to ADA compliance and lucrative, frivolous, non compliance lawsuits.  

You can be sued for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars if a sign, on your property is not posted at the federal gov't's ADA required height.  Listened to an NPR production on that very topic. Lawyers going around cities, and identifying little mistakes like that, and making careers of prosecuting it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

This. 

It's been pointed out to y'all a bunch of times that not all medical conditions are visible.  That should've been the end of this thread.

From now on we need to disperse a surly member to every parking lot to examine each person who exits a vehicle they just parked in a handicapped spot.  We'll get you one of those high lifeguard thrones so you can look down on them and assess their level of need and either yell, "I'll allow it!" or shoot them with a tranq gun and call the cops.

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

And if you park next to a handicapped spot or near one, you are going to get multiple dings on your car.   Some people just insist parking that old Lincoln town car  or pickup in a space that should accommodate a Honda Civic.  And usually that space becomes that way because others can't park correctly,  but the person driving the old town car  or pickup  damn well insist they have to park there to save a few steps.   

My MIL has one even thought she gave up driving a few years ago.  My SIL will use it when transporting my MIL to appointments.  You get the picture....pull up out front, unload MIL, drive to handicap spot and park.  Ain't no way wife or I will ever do that....

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

This. 

It's pointed out to y'all a bunch of times that not all medical conditions are visible.  That should've been the end of this thread.

From now on we need to disperse a surly member to every parking lot to examine each person who exits a vehicle they just parked in a handicapped spot.  We'll get you one of those high lifeguard thrones so you can look down on them and assess their level of need and either yell, "I'll allow it!" or shoot them with a tranq gun and call the cops.

I'm in.   

6 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Image result for where is your scooter gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The ADA has, and continues to morph into something it was never intended to be.  There's a huge industry related to ADA compliance and lucrative, frivolous, non compliance lawsuits.  

You can be sued for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars if a sign, on your property is not posted at the federal gov't's ADA required height.  Listened to an NPR production on that very topic. Lawyers going around cities, and identifying little mistakes like that, and making careers of prosecuting it.

You got that correct.  I was involved in a build out in a  warehouse shell  and everything up to a dual water fountain had to be ADA compliant by city code.   It was a small warehouse, but you get the picture that 99.9% of the workforce within it would not be in a situation where they would need to use the lower water fountain.  Maybe if they had a bring the kids to work day or something like that?  

I will say after dealing with it for a couple of years, I have a lot of empathy and respect for people in wheelchairs. For them it's not so much a distance issue as it is a space issue - you can't fit one in between cars in a regular space.  And then most restaurants have two sets of non-automatic entrance doors, some with high thresholds.  Getting one open and getting through it is a PITA even with someone pushing you.  I don't know how they do it on their own.

• Like 1

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I will say after dealing with it for a couple of years, I have a lot of empathy and respect for people in wheelchairs. For them it's not so much a distance issue as it is a space issue - you can't fit one in between cars in a regular space.  And then most restaurants have two sets of non-automatic entrance doors, some with high thresholds.  Getting one open and getting through it is a PITA even with someone pushing you.  I don't know how they do it on their own.

And that was exactly what it started out as. Spaces for folks with actual ambulatory issues.  It's morphed into something that's getting out of hand  Bob Doles brainchild. A man with actual handicap issues. I doubt he ever envisioned what it's become.

11 minutes ago, gecko said:

My MIL has one even thought she gave up driving a few years ago.  My SIL will use it when transporting my MIL to appointments.  You get the picture....pull up out front, unload MIL, drive to handicap spot and park.  Ain't no way wife or I will ever do that....

My 91 year old mother acts like her blue handicap tag is some sort of badge of honor.  It's like "I'm old, I earned this damn thing!" 

It angers her when I do what you do, the whole drop them off and park normal thing.     I just try to explain that I'd rather be courteous and leave that open handicapped spot for someone who needs it. 

Which pivots to the opposite where I have a friend, a really good guy in decent shape around 75.  His wife died from cancer, and he has the handicap plates still.  He uses them on a regular basis wherever he can.  I don't understand it.

But then I don't understand those fucks who ignore lane closure warning signs and zoom up to the closure point and expect traffic flow to stop to let them in.   Apparently I missed school the day they taught some of us are just more special/deserving than others.  Or was that Sunday school?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Know a guy whose dad had a legit handicap placard due to cancer.  His dad passed w/ two years left of the placard.  The (otherwise healthy) fat, lazy POS used it for 2 years.  I called him out on it every time I saw him.  He now avoids me like the plague...which I'm fine with.