Handicap Parking Placards are Bullshit

Neonmoon

18 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Who got crowd-sourced this AM?

@Hal Finney got crowd sourced last night. 

I’m guessing it’s him, which is just GRHorn. Someone that has been crowdsourced like 30 fucking times, but the loser keeps creating  new accounts to post Crypto/AntiVax/Russian Propaganda shit all over this board. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I agree with ArmyBrat, as he’s from the pull-up your boot straps generation. Anyone faking a HC tag, because you’re obese and get winded walking 30’. Hell, what was your plan once inside?

I’m considered “obese” but my wife hates it when I park so far out, so I just drop her off at the door and then go park. I just don’t want door dings in my truck! “Door dingers” only reside close to the entrances of establishments. No problem, when she’s checking out, Ill go get my truck and see her come out of the entrance. Problem solved!

When she drives, she’ll circle around, finding the closest spot available. I’ll usually chime in with, “we’d already be inside shopping” if we’d just parked far out. Thats why her car has door dings!

Hook’em!!!

• Drool 1

4 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I agree with ArmyBrat, as he’s from the pull-up your boot straps generation. Anyone faking a HC tag, because you’re obese and get winded walking 30’. Hell, what was your plan once inside?

I’m considered “obese” but my wife hates it when I park so far out, so I just drop her off at the door and then go park. I just don’t want door dings in my truck! “Door dingers” only reside close to the entrances of establishments. No problem, when she’s checking out, Ill go get my truck and see her come out of the entrance. Problem solved!

When she drives, she’ll circle around, finding the closest spot available. I’ll usually chime in with, “we’d already be inside shopping” if we’d just parked far out. Thats why her car has door dings!

Hook’em!!!

I like your style.  Then you can listen to radio while she is in checkout.  

Yes - many things, like surf Surly, put in a dip/pouch of Copenhagen, which she totally detests, and listen to shit on the radio! Many, many things are greater than waiting in a HEB (etc) checkout line! As long as she keeps thinking that I’m being “nice” it’s more a positive for me! Married 31+!

Hook’em!!!

• Like 1

My mom has one due to a heart condition. When I drive with then I immediately jump out of the car and skip from the handicapped spot into the store.

It amused me. Embarrassed my mom. Annoyed my dad. Just like the old days.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I agree the fats are bad people and don't deserve privilege.  The flip side of banning them from handicapped spaces is you'll have fats dying in the middle of the Walmart parking lot.  Do you want that?  The ensuing buzzards and smell.  Not good.
Snow plows could keep them clear.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

The handicap parking situation at my office is bizarre. I have the worst parking in the building, Basement Level 2. There are about a dozen HC spots by the door. They are always full. It's striking because to get the elevator you have to take 3 different escalators. It's a lot of walking even for a healthy person. It would be impossible to reach the elevator if you were in wheelchair or need a walker. 

Long story short, why are these people even bothering with a HC placard? 

My wife moved her mom from an assisted living facility in Austin to a place she found for her near our house in Fort Collins. As part of that process her mom need a CO handicapped placard for the times when my wife drives her around, be it to Dr. appts or lunch. My MIL is 85 years old, is in poor health and uses a walker. Her ID was from Tx but issued before Real ID. The process was a giant pain in the ass. In order to get a CO placard she first had to get a CO ID, which meant getting her certified birth certificate and original marriage certificate (even though she's been divorced 30 years) and make multiple trips to the DMV before we could then go to the County to get a fucking handicapped placard. The DV spots in Fort Collins are almost always completely empty.

When the law is at the point of forcing an 85 yo to get a new ID just to get a parking placard, that law is fucked.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 1

I had a case with a local fire marshal. I think we had a meeting at some hotel with BATF. We rode up together, and he parked his plain white fleet escape on the red painted curb right in front and put a white placard marked "FIRE MARSHAL" in the window.

I asked him how he got the placard. He said, "well, [Clever]. I opened up MS word. I put the doc in landscape. Then I typed 'fire marshal' and upped the font size until it was big. Centered it all, and hit print. "

So there ya go. That's how those placards are created.

• Like 1

What does the guy that rents a car to get a new set of tires think? I also need to hear what the guy that polices the shopping carts! lol

I know this is a “community” branded board, and it’s a safe space for sharing and all, but god damn if people can’t keep their nose out of other peoples business we are fucked as a society! Fuck you Judgy McJudger!

Is it wrong? Sure. Are you the law? Is it your job to make sure each and everyone parking in HC is fully vetted and qualified?
055a831e0a69c75653b9fa693b977c9f.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Maybe I misremembered since this was a necrobump, but someone mentioned police or something, another speaking to/with the person parking in a HC spot?

I get it, we are all assholes in a given situation. I ignore my transgression in one instance, another person flips his lid at what I did. Another Surly poster ignores their transgression in another instance, and I lose my shit over what they did!!1! It’s the way of life.

Regarding carts, we should give a pass to people who may feel vulnerable and exposed in the parking lot — e.g., women alone at night, depending on the neighborhood. If you feel threatened or unsafe, put your stuff in your car and leave as quickly as possible with no shame. The rest of us need to put our carts back though.

1 hour ago, Celery Man said:

I’d probably reexamine how funny I think the cart narc is if I could come up with the person who is able to push the cart all around the store but not back to where it goes (multiple kid parents excluded).

Multiple kid exclusion denied. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

If returning the cart is scary, just park near the corral. That's what I do: thread the needle between being a good citizen and being lazy by planning ahead.

And if there are so many cars in the lot that you can't, then it isn't a vacant crime scene waiting to happen. 

22 hours ago, Mole said:

Regarding carts, we should give a pass to people who may feel vulnerable and exposed in the parking lot — e.g., women alone at night, depending on the neighborhood. If you feel threatened or unsafe, put your stuff in your car and leave as quickly as possible with no shame. The rest of us need to put our carts back though.

I'm cool with that.  Totally get it.

Now explain the carts in broad daylight, many times 1-2 spaces from the corral.

People suck. The bigger fear is responsibility/ accountability.  Carts are but a minor symptom.

Edited by slorch

6 hours ago, slorch said:

I'm cool with that.  Totally get it.

Now explain the carts in broad daylight, many times 1-2 spaces from the corral.

People suck. The bigger fear is responsibility/ accountability.  Carts are but a minor symptom.

i HALF TEH FREEDUMB TWO LEAF MY KART THEIR!1!!!

HAVE U RED THE CONSTIPATION??

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/31/2024 at 7:07 PM, General Specific said:

What does the guy that rents a car to get a new set of tires think? I also need to hear what the guy that polices the shopping carts! lol

I know this is a “community” branded board, and it’s a safe space for sharing and all, but god damn if people can’t keep their nose out of other peoples business we are fucked as a society! Fuck you Judgy McJudger!

Is it wrong? Sure. Are you the law? Is it your job to make sure each and everyone parking in HC is fully vetted and qualified?
055a831e0a69c75653b9fa693b977c9f.gif

I generally go to parking lots looking for trouble, start some shit.