Handicap Parking Placards are Bullshit

Neonmoon

20 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

My 91 year old mother acts like her blue handicap tag is some sort of badge of honor.  It's like "I'm old, I earned this damn thing!" 

It angers her when I do what you do, the whole drop them off and park normal thing.     I just try to explain that I'd rather be courteous and leave that open handicapped spot for someone who needs it. 

Which pivots to the opposite where I have a friend, a really good guy in decent shape around 75.  His wife died from cancer, and he has the handicap plates still.  He uses them on a regular basis wherever he can.  I don't understand it.

But then I don't understand those fucks who ignore lane closure warning signs and zoom up to the closure point and expect traffic flow to stop to let them in.   Apparently I missed school the day they taught some of us are just more special/deserving than others.  Or was that Sunday school?

The guy in the lane is exactly doing what he's supposed to do.  It's called alternate merge. The people using the tags because they have one in their possession, but don't need one, are doing it wrong.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The ADA has, and continues to morph into something it was never intended to be.  There's a huge industry related to ADA compliance and lucrative, frivolous, non compliance lawsuits.  

You can be sued for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars if a sign, on your property is not posted at the federal gov't's ADA required height.  Listened to an NPR production on that very topic. Lawyers going around cities, and identifying little mistakes like that, and making careers of prosecuting it.

The fuckstick here in AZ that was doing that just got disbarred.

12 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The guy in the lane is exactly doing what he's supposed to do.  It's called alternate merge. The people using the tags because they have one in their possession, but don't need one, are doing it wrong.

Not necessarily.  When two lanes become one, if the traffic is still flowing at a normal pace in the single lane, drivers in the closing lane should find gaps and merge into that lane as soon as possible without causing disruption. It is only when the traffic is slowed or stopped already that "zipper merge" should be used with vehicles taking as much of the closing lane as possible before merging. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I disagree on the merge thing.  But you do you.  Just don't take the finger I shoot you as you zoom by personally.

2 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I disagree on the merge thing.  But you do you.  Just don't take the finger I shoot you as you zoom by personally.

Well I'll do what The correct thing which is creating 2 lanes that merge alternating rather than creating  some mile and a half long line that moves slower than traffic doing the correct alternate merge maneuver.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, TXSooner518 said:

Not necessarily.  When two lanes become one, if the traffic is still flowing at a normal pace in the single lane, drivers in the closing lane should find gaps and merge into that lane as soon as possible without causing disruption. It is only when the traffic is slowed or stopped already that "zipper merge" should be used with vehicles taking as much of the closing lane as possible before merging. 

Yeah as you can, and should merge as you can, and cars should space themselves to allow a car ahead of them to merge in. it's not a race.  It's jr. league road rage stuff.

My favorite is the nice covered parking spot right in front of the “contractor’s entrance” at the Home Depot. I can browse the store for over an hour while my suburban stays out of the sun and only have to leave the comfort of air conditioning for about 3.4 seconds. And you don’t even have to have one of those special blue tags to use it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Rusty Shackelford said:

My favorite is the nice covered parking spot right in front of the “contractor’s entrance” at the Home Depot. I can browse the store for over an hour while my suburban stays out of the sun and only have to leave the comfort of air conditioning for about 3.4 seconds. And you don’t even have to have one of those special blue tags to use it.

Now that''s just exploiting a loop hole. Kudos sir. kudos...

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah as you can, and should merge as you can, and cars should space themselves to allow a car ahead of them to merge in. it's not a race.  It's jr. league road rage stuff.

I agree with this.  Had this happen just the other day at an accident on a divided highway.  The merge was working, we were moving about 10 mph, but moving.  The left lane was collapsed into the right.  You could see the 10 emergency response vehicles ahead (if not distracted by phone, food, etc).  The left lane was open for maybe a half mile and the flow was picking up as traffic control got the scene secure.  Then all the sudden came these 3 butts screaming down the left lane to pull up at the merge point, causing everything to return to stop and go. 

Those are the ones that make me ragey.  I'm guilty of rolling you into that bunch.  Apologies if your not one of those assholes.

I openly admit to being a POS. My sister has one that is left in my truck when I have to take her to the doctor. I limit the use to late night runs @ Walmart/Kroger, etc. Figuring that real handicap people shouldn't be out that late. So it's just me and all the other fake assholes. Although in the past year when I get out of the truck limping, I'm not faking. Shit is really hurting.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

I agree with this.  Had this happen just the other day at an accident on a divided highway.  The merge was working, we were moving about 10 mph, but moving.  The left lane was collapsed into the right.  You could see the 10 emergency response vehicles ahead (if not distracted by phone, food, etc).  The left lane was open for maybe a half mile and the flow was picking up as traffic control got the scene secure.  Then all the sudden came these 3 butts screaming down the left lane to pull up at the merge point, causing everything to return to stop and go. 

Those are the ones that make me ragey.  I'm guilty of rolling you into that bunch.  Apologies if your not one of those assholes.

No worries, Yeah going to the very end, and acting like you should get in, trying to get by everyone, should get you some wait time.    

Ya wanna slow down, put your signal on, and let somebody be nice, and let you in before you get to the sign/last opportunity (you should do it to if you can, just my opinion, but I look at like a karma savings account). If you're sitting there all by yourself, and can't go any further, you're probably doing it wrong.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't know if the grocery stores can crack down on fully mobile people using the electric carts. There doesn't appear to be any stated qualifications or rules. 

Besides some lazy people, I think we're seeing the results of a lifetime of poor eating and exercise habits. A 5'2" woman being 250 lbs for decades has to wreck havoc with her heart and joints. Ever glance into the basket of the electric carts?  We're not taking broccoli and kale in there.  And it's a long walk from the Ho-hos and red drink sections to the pharmacy to get the diabetes medicine.  

Personally I don't care much about people taking the handicap spots.  I prefer taking the far spots to give me an easier exit and this keeps them away from my car.

I tried to use one of those carts at Central Market about 7 years ago.  I had a bad ankle sprain.  Wife made me walk(no crutches) after she saw me driving around in it.

11 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

popping wheelies, doin' donuts and shit ?

Didn't even get a chance to do that.  I was lagging behind as we came into the store on account of my compromised condition. I saw the carts and thought why not?  I caught up with them in the vegetable area, head held high with my new sense  independent mobility.  I returned back down the isle with head held low after being injury shamed.

I did work the limp a little harder the rest of the time just to make sure I drove the guilt home-didn't work.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I can’t remember the last time I actually saw a real handicap person use a handicap parking space. Some people deserve a space. If they have a wheelchair, missing a leg, etc. They get a space. 

Most people are lying pieces of shit who had surgery 2 years ago, stole their grandmothers placard, made a fake placard, or just generally fat fucks who can’t walk far. If you are too our of shape to walk, then stay the fuck home. 

Yeah, the people who do this are shit. 

The placards serve a useful function. 

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

This. 

It's been pointed out to y'all a bunch of times that not all medical conditions are visible.  That should've been the end of this thread.

Lots of hypocrisy going on here.

No one has mentioned Neon’s mental disability yet. Furthermore, many of you are choosing to ignore it.

If he went down to the DMV, they would award him a placard after a brief conversation.

3 hours ago, gecko said:

My MIL has one even thought she gave up driving a few years ago.  My SIL will use it when transporting my MIL to appointments.  You get the picture....pull up out front, unload MIL, drive to handicap spot and park.  Ain't no way wife or I will ever do that....

You know this but your SIL is breaking the law. The handicap spot is not for able-bodied people helping a handicap person.  If the handicap person isn’t walking back out to the car, your lazy SIL needs to get her ass to regular parking.

You know what grinds my gears?  All of the reserved spots for non-handicapped special interests.  HEB has special spots for shoppers with children.  Lowe's has special spots for veterans.  Seton Hays has spots for both of those and for low emission vehicles.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, deadshank said:

Fat, diabeetus types in scooters piss me off more than handicap scammers.  

Went to an Astros game a few weekends ago and each of the landings coming in from the concourse to the seating sections was clogged with jort wearing, nacho mauling fat asses with swoll ankles stuffed into bargain basement New Balance EEEE width tennis shoes; all on scooters.  

Pitiful. 

lulz.  I have a buddy in australia who recently visited the states with his wife and stopped at disneyland.  said he’d never seen more mobility scooters in his life, all loaded down with land whales inhaling ice cream and hot dogs.  I just laughed and said “yeah we’re fat and lazy here.”

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The ADA has, and continues to morph into something it was never intended to be.  There's a huge industry related to ADA compliance and lucrative, frivolous, non compliance lawsuits.  

You can be sued for potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars if a sign, on your property is not posted at the federal gov't's ADA required height.  Listened to an NPR production on that very topic. Lawyers going around cities, and identifying little mistakes like that, and making careers of prosecuting it.

That's how most of these good intention-ed laws/ideas get fucked up.  We're plagued with it throughout this country.  Too many unscrupulous lawyers (every industry has them), with too much power and temptation to find a quick and easy meal ticket.  Then the rest of us have to deal with the consequences.

Just now, sunset87 said:

That's how most of these good intention-ed laws/ideas get fucked up.  We're plagued with it throughout this country.  Too many unscrupulous lawyers (every industry has them), with too much power and temptation to find a quick and easy meal ticket.  Then the rest of us have to deal with the consequences.

MADD  organizations don't just dissolve with success, they keep pushing otherwise they might have to get jobs.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, formermav43 said:

I was throwing the op in there too, unless he has the magical ability to diagnose people on sight.

I know I came off as an asshole. I get people have heart conditions and other non-visible ailments. I get it. I'm not saying they don't deserve a parking space. I just believe there are a large amount of people abusing the system. Hell, my dad used one because he had a lung removed, and I still gave him shit for it because I know he had no trouble walking the 50 yards. He just liked being able to park close. 

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I get people have heart conditions and other non-visible ailments. 

That kinda begs another question though as long as we're being assholes.  If someone has a heart conditions such that it might kill them to walk an extra 100 feet, they probably shouldn't be driving.

32 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I know I came off as an asshole. I get people have heart conditions and other non-visible ailments. I get it. I'm not saying they don't deserve a parking space. I just believe there are a large amount of people abusing the system. Hell, my dad used one because he had a lung removed, and I still gave him shit for it because I know he had no trouble walking the 50 yards. He just liked being able to park close. 

You are an asshole.  But you're our asshole.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elfenix said:

seems like everyone in ohio has a placard or plate - most of the spots were taken up everywhere i went (grandfather can barely walk even with a cane)

AZ too.  I had a placard for a few months after my tibial plateau surgery and sometimes I couldn't find a spot.

• 4 years later...

I can't believe nobody brings up the fact that most of these cars are either a Lexus,a BMW or a Mercedes. 

I can't get what's happening here. Are people buying these luxury cars and getting the hell beat out of them at the dealer just so they can get a handicap plaque?

I mean it couldn't possibly be that these are rich people that pay a doctor to get a letter saying they're handicapped when they're not...

That would be just crazy right?

18 minutes ago, Angry for change said:

I can't believe nobody brings up the fact that most of these cars are either a Lexus,a BMW or a Mercedes. 

I can't get what's happening here. Are people buying these luxury cars and getting the hell beat out of them at the dealer just so they can get a handicap plaque?

I mean it couldn't possibly be that these are rich people that pay a doctor to get a letter saying they're handicapped when they're not...

Right!

Every once in a while I see someone, young and by all appearances healthy, park a store’s handicap spot with a placard. It appears that grandma is in the front seat but she’s waiting in the car. The placard doesn’t give you a pass to park there under all circumstances. 

I agree the fats are bad people and don't deserve privilege.  The flip side of banning them from handicapped spaces is you'll have fats dying in the middle of the Walmart parking lot.  Do you want that?  The ensuing buzzards and smell.  Not good.

19 hours ago, Angry for change said:

username checks out!