The Supremes

tx 3 putt

Between the AL and LA cases, I fail to see how the same thing doesn’t happen to maps in GA, SC, FL and TX (they really made sure to dilute Hispanic voting power)

Thats enough to swing the House back in 2024 if we also get fair maps in Wisconsin and NY brings back the Hochulmander 

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Between the AL and LA cases, I fail to see how the same thing doesn’t happen to maps in GA, SC, FL and TX (they really made sure to dilute Hispanic voting power)

Thats enough to swing the House back in 2024 if we also get fair maps in Wisconsin and NY brings back the Hochulmander 

Even if it doesn't swing the majority, we all know that it could impact the Speaker race. Including giving more power to the radicals, in either party.

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There could still be some shadow docket fuckery that allows these states to use illegal maps for another election.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

Sotomayor just turned 69 over the weekend and wrapping up her 14th year on the court. While no one is talking about it, she should consider stepping down now or after the next session. Especially as we see the '24 election start to solidify next June. We could be looking at a lengthy time without a Dem President + Dem Senate combo.  I wouldn't put it past a GOP Senate Majority leader in letting a empty seat stay empty for years for a Dem President. McConnell demonstrated that the Senate is under no obligation to hold a vote.

We could easily find ourselves in another RBG situation where Sotomayor is in her 80s before the Dems could replace her. And I believe she has Type 1 diabetes, which can impact life expectancy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

We could be looking at a lengthy time without a Dem President + Dem Senate combo.

I mean, we could, or maybe not.  Ideally, in 2024, Biden wins again and the Senate ends up 50/50 or 51/49 R.  Lose Manchin and maybe one of Tester/Brown, who are uniquely strong candidates in their states and have defied the odds before.

2026 has NC (almost won it in 2022), TX (possibly an open seat if Cornyn retires), Maine (possibly an open seat if Collins retires), Alaska (a strong possibility where Mary Peltola runs for the Dems, as she is the most popular and well-liked elected official in the state).   Then 2028 has NC up again, Wisconsin (Johnson almost lost in 2022), Alaska again and Florida.

Sotomayor just turned 69 over the weekend and wrapping up her 14th year on the court. While no one is talking about it, she should consider stepping down now or after the next session. Especially as we see the '24 election start to solidify next June. We could be looking at a lengthy time without a Dem President + Dem Senate combo.  I wouldn't put it past a GOP Senate Majority leader in letting a empty seat stay empty for years for a Dem President. McConnell demonstrated that the Senate is under no obligation to hold a vote.
We could easily find ourselves in another RBG situation where Sotomayor is in her 80s before the Dems could replace her. And I believe she has Type 1 diabetes, which can impact life expectancy.

An old white man in the White House pushing out the first Hispanic and woman of color to sit on the court is picking an unnecessary fight with the base. Asking SS to resign early while Democrats were largely content to have RGB hold on for dear life can and will be interpreted with a racial element.

That said your point absolutely has merit. If I’m team Biden, I’m delicately asking her to consider the circumstances and making it known that the seat can be filled with someone of a similar background if that is a concern.
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

An old white man in the White House pushing out the first Hispanic and woman of color to sit on the court is picking an unnecessary fight with the base. Asking SS to resign early while Democrats were largely content to have RGB hold on for dear life can and will be interpreted with a racial element.

That said your point absolutely has merit. If I’m team Biden, I’m delicately asking her to consider the circumstances and making it known that the seat can be filled with someone of a similar background if that is a concern.

I agree it has to be handled delicately. Biden shouldn't call for her to step down in a press conference. But they could effectively allow her to pick her replacement, within reason. Otherwise tell her that she might be replaced by a Alito Jr. by another President/Senate.

When I saw that she turned 69, I momentarily thought that was young given the ages of our other leaders. If any of us had a 69 year old co-worker, we would be wondering why in the hell are they still at work.

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Yeah, it's very complicated.  Pushing her out looks bad.  It would need to be a Latina or Asian replacement. 

Win the Senate with a bigger margin. Kill the filibuster. Expand the Court. Then there won’t be any handwringing over McConnell.

Also, if the Senate refuses to hold a vote, I’d swear in the appointed justice. The Senate’s role is to advise and consent. If they abdicate their job, I don’t see how the President loses appointment power.  Make them all argue that the Senate has a right to prevent the executive from exercising Constitutional authority through simple inaction 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Drool 2

24 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, it's very complicated.  Pushing her out looks bad.  It would need to be a Latina or Asian replacement. 

There's no pushing out a SCOTUS justice. It's 100% their choice. The most Biden can do is guarantee she can pick her replacement if she retires before the next election and remind her of the possible downsides if she doesn't. Which she's well aware of I'm sure, after Ginsburg. I sure fucking hope someone in the administration is communicating with her about her plans, but I really wouldn't be surprised if they're really not.

52 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

dem billionaires need to step and up her retirement package. RBF’s selfishness cost this nation heavily. She should of retired when Dems could have easily replaced here. ACB is going to reign hell on this country for many years to come 

1 hour ago, StassneyHorn said:

Texas alone could have 3-5 seat gain in D favor since the census bureau confirmed Hispanics are now majority in state

We sure the Hispanics in Texas are going to vote D over R?

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Moscow Mitch and the rest of his cronies will go back to the "unwritten rule" of not allowing POTUS to nominate SC justice in the last year of a presidency. You know the same rule they ignored to ram ACB through to replace RBG.

Edited by C-Man
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, C-Man said:

We sure the Hispanics in Texas are going to vote D over R?

Moscow Mitch and the rest of his cronies will go back to the "unwritten rule" of not allowing POTUS to nominate SC justice in the last year of a presidency. You know the same rule they ignored to ram ACB through to replace RBG.

They will create a new rule to not hold hearings when they control the Senate but not the WH. They don't need precedent to delay.

wake me when the "radicals" on the left try to overthrow the government and undermine our democratic republic. until then I would keep these both sides comments in your pocket

Not to mention adding a few black, southern Democrats isn’t exactly going to add a couple hardcore progressives and empower the far left flank of the party.

3 hours ago, bolverk said:

He was an assistant coach, not the head coach. Players said he knew about the abuse. He says he didn’t. I assume he’s lying. I heard the players can sue the school. I don’t know if they can sue Jim Jordan. I’m not sure what their prospects would be if they did since it’s his word against theirs. I’m all for anything that brings him pain and suffering but I’d need to know more before I can get my hopes up. 

4 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Not to mention adding a few black, southern Democrats isn’t exactly going to add a couple hardcore progressives and empower the far left flank of the party.

Yeah, I mean, Bernie didn’t win a bunch of southern primaries. Hillary and Biden cleaned up in the south in their primaries. Black southern Dems are more like Jim Clyburn than Nina Turner 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He was an assistant coach, not the head coach. Players said he knew about the abuse. He says he didn’t. I assume he’s lying. I heard the players can sue the school. I don’t know if they can sue Jim Jordan. I’m not sure what their prospects would be if they did since it’s his word against theirs. I’m all for anything that brings him pain and suffering but I’d need to know more before I can get my hopes up. 

Cross posting

Shortly after the decision, lawyers for Strauss' victims said they intend to return to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Ohio to press their case against OSU.

“We plan to depose every OSU employee alleged to have known about Strauss’s abuse, including the employees named in the complaints,” said Public Justice Students’ Civil Rights Project Director Adele Kimmel.

Among those employees mentioned in the complaints is Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, who was the assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State from 1986 to 1994 and who has been accused of failing to stop Strauss from sexually molesting the student-athletes he helped coach.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/supreme-court-rebuffs-osu-enables-remaining-sex-abuse-victims-sue-rcna87519

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cactusflinthead said:

Shortly after the decision, lawyers for Strauss' victims said they intend to return to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Ohio to press their case against OSU.

“We plan to depose every OSU employee alleged to have known about Strauss’s abuse, including the employees named in the complaints,” said Public Justice Students’ Civil Rights Project Director Adele Kimmel.

Among those employees mentioned in the complaints is Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, who was the assistant wrestling coach at Ohio State from 1986 to 1994 and who has been accused of failing to stop Strauss from sexually molesting the student-athletes he helped coach.

image.gif.4b1d38b56714b96f611d96853f5df3ed.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Legitimately stunning. I thought it was probably more likely than not that Roberts and Kav would toss this on standing grounds to avoid having to answer the question. But, given that Kav pretty explicitly entertained the validity of ISLT in 2020 before the election, and Roberts' own personal history of "all legal theories concerning elections must help Republicans," this is shocking. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Legitimately stunning. I thought it was probably more likely than not that Roberts and Kav would toss this on standing grounds to avoid having to answer the question. But, given that Kav pretty explicitly entertained the validity of ISLT in 2020 before the election, and Roberts' own personal history of "all legal theories concerning elections must help Republicans," this is shocking. 

Thomas says he would have just tossed it anyhow, bc it's moot now with SCONC reversing their previous ruling. 

Like someone said, it does feel like Roberts is really pissed at Thomas/Alito.  Kavanaugh is easily swayed to Roberts' side. 

Edited by Js1

Court says: (taken from SCOTUS Blog)

• It has the power to review the case despite the SCONC reversal
  • Elections clause DOES NOT insulate state legislatures from ordinary exercise of judicial review
  • State legislatures may not create congressional districts independently of requirements by the state constitution with respect to the enactment of laws
  • State courts may not so exceed the bounds of ordinary judicial review as to unconstitutionally intrude upon the legislature's role in the elections clause - but SCOTUS is not deciding whether that happened here or not

11 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wtf is even going on anymore? now they seem to be ruling righteously? did the leak of them being bought and paid for straighten some spines?

make up calls, come on you know the drill

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

They're probably also trying to give us some crumbs to make some people happy before releasing some truly atrocious decisions in the remaining cases.

Roberts: we find that the government cannot forgive student loan debt, and in fact, everyone who has government student loan debt or had government student loans now owes an extra $10,000.  You have 30 days to pay or lose your right to vote forever. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I don't want to diminish what a big win this is for American democracy, but a ruling the other way would have been so completely at odds with the entire structure of American law and government and so inconsistent with the entirety of American legal history (in other words, so insanely and clearly wrong) that it would've made the Dobbs decision look like serious, reasoned judicial practice by comparison.  It's not so much a make up call as it is simply calling a fastball that was as dead center in the strike zone as possible a strike. 

This is how Roberts gives the left "wins" and it's how he's trying to restore the court's legitimacy in the eyes of the public. He's not suddenly good. But he does care about he court's reputation and its perceived legitimacy.  He prefers to carry out his legal sabotage in a more methodical and pragmatic way, to maintain a pretext that it's all about the law, so that the changes he makes endure without serious public objection.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2