The Supremes

tx 3 putt

On 5/11/2023 at 8:38 AM, WhatTheBuck said:

Here’s the full Frontline doc on Clarence and Ginni.

Of course Ginni Thomas joined a cult.

Christ. 

These people are sad. I mean, their whole life is one of a warped existence. Anger, self loathing, detachment, and determined. Scary.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

That would be Kav. Gorsuch would have gotten on when Kennedy retired rather than Kav. Gorsuch was tops on fuckwad whose parents hated him Leo Leo's list. I think Barrett would probably have been nominated to replace RBG over Kav because replacing a woman with a frat bro would be even worse optics.

just speaking to the actual timeline of the stolen Obama pick

Huh, I guess a tidal wave of amici that all basically say “what the fuck are you thinking you goddamned lunatics?!” can sway the republicans, at least when they don’t really know what they even want to do and just decided to take a case because Fox News told them to.

4 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Ballsy. Harlan Crow's letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee argues that Congress has no right to investigate the supreme court.  

I don't care how much a client is paying me, there's no way I'm putting my name on something that stupid.

ETA: Durbin's response really should be something along the lines of this classic:

CNH7w20.jpg

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Any of our resident right wing lurkers want to explain to us why you like that decision? Besides owning the libs, I mean.

Allow me to put on my robe and wizard hat:

"regulation is tyranny and I want to be free."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

38 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Any of our resident right wing lurkers want to explain to us why you like that decision? Besides owning the libs, I mean.

clean water act is a heavy burden for all industries. They just gutted it and the southern gulf coast states will give industries a free pass 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Unfortunately it’s one of the best pieces of legislation the US ever introduced.  It’s part of the reason quality of life is so high around water these days.  

And I battle WOTUS stuff all the time.  But it’s good law and creates an healthy conflict for development to fight.

• Hook 'Em 1

Well you see, wetlands can't be considered to be a body of water unless puddles are also given the same distinction.  The law is whatever the 5 jackasses on the Supreme Court were bribed to say it is.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Well you see, wetlands can't be considered to be a body of water unless puddles are also given the same distinction.  The law is whatever the 5 jackasses on the Supreme Court were bribed to say it is.

The Founding Fathers were clear that puddles are "bodies of water".  Checkmate, libtard.

• Hook 'Em 1

Friends, the Supreme Court rulings do not exist in a vacuum. Sorry for long post, but it is necessary.

We're witnessing a massive intellectual collapse in a huge of swath of America: 45-60% of citizens. Building for decades. From the Supreme Court on down to the average Karen/Kevin who have colonized the internet and social media. The end game can only be total destruction. 

Cause of Collapse

— Collapse was born in the erosion/entropy of any unifying secular narrative, at least anything beyond endless entertainment and consumption to show tribal identities. The last time Americans were mostly united on something was likely the Apollo moon landing. But TV and cable soon fragmented American consciousness and the internet completed the project.

— Collapse was amplified post-2000 by social media and the weaponization of religion, seeking to impose itself in the secular void it is helping to create. 

— Art and science have mostly failed on the secular narrative, despite the incredible achievements and discoveries of science. A rising percentage (30%+) of Americans are not religious, but can only find secular narratives among some Superhero films/comics. The majestic awe-inspiring universe should be the ground for a unifying narrative, but philosophers are utterly dropping the ball.

— Plus, few people will accept (much less embrace) being not central to society or the universe/or being utterly insignificant. Religion's big promise is God making the believer feel important/central to society and the universe, with an eternal destiny.

(There's a way out with no religion, but that is another long post.)

Effect of Collapse

— The collapse is reflected in the inability of 150+ million Americans to think based on evidence and logic, apart from sheer emotion and reaction now amplified by social media. Unable to think clearly and consistently, unable to separate image from empirical truth, screens from reality. Images and screens are now used to construct mental realities/conspiracies utterly detached from actual reality. Add on Bible-thumping weaponry and you have a virulent, deadly formula. Disneyland, Vegas strip, Times Square, the Super Bowl, these are the symbols and masks for the artificial delusions and mediated/manufactured "events" that dominant our consciousness and culture on an everyday basis.

— I have seen this absolutely with friends and relatives, plus all across culture. Trump-MAGA-GQP is the latest stage of this process, but not the first nor the last. Trump-MAGA-GQP exist alongside WWF, Dancing with the Stars, Masked Singer, Kardashians, American Idol, Ancient Aliens, Bigfoot Hunters, NASCAR, SyFy, UFO conspiracies—the list is endless. There is damn near zero legit science on TV or streaming compared to paranormal-conspiracy-celebrity idiocy.

Conclusion

When something is collapsing, it eventually hits bottom, with the end result being total destruction. TOTAL

From the Supreme Court on down. That means the destruction of reason, logic, truth, facts, evidence, human rights, legal principles, and civil liberties. Destruction of private sanity and public safety (hence the worship of guns, violence) go together, along with destruction of peace and quiet, destruction of civility and kindness. Destruction of secularism and secular education. The list is goes on, but the destruction of consciousness eventually ends in the total destruction of the environment and Earth's ecosystems.

Hence, the Supreme Court attacking the EPA. Poisoned water is just another step. Climate change? It's far more like climate destruction on a planetary scale. Don't forget the nukes, now back in play. Climate and/or nukes, the final destination is: Planet of the Apes (1968 version)

TLDR: We're seeing a massive intellectual/educational collapse in secular society. Buckle up, more destruction is coming.

Edited by BevoAbyss
clarity
  • Rage+1 3

On 5/26/2023 at 4:37 PM, BevoAbyss said:

Friends, the Supreme Court rulings do not exist in a vacuum. Sorry for long post, but it is necessary.

We're witnessing a massive intellectual collapse in a huge of swath of America: 45-60% of citizens. Building for decades. From the Supreme Court on down to the average Karen/Kevin who have colonized the internet and social media. The end game can only be total destruction. 

Cause of Collapse

— Collapse was born in the erosion/entropy of any unifying secular narrative, at least anything beyond endless entertainment and consumption to show tribal identities. The last time Americans were mostly united on something was likely the Apollo moon landing. But TV and cable soon fragmented American consciousness and the internet completed the project.

— Collapse was amplified post-2000 by social media and the weaponization of religion, seeking to impose itself in the secular void it is helping to create. 

— Art and science have mostly failed on the secular narrative, despite the incredible achievements and discoveries of science. A rising percentage (30%+) of Americans are not religious, but can only find secular narratives among some Superhero films/comics. The majestic awe-inspiring universe should be the ground for a unifying narrative, but philosophers are utterly dropping the ball.

— Plus, few people will accept (much less embrace) being not central to society or the universe/or being utterly insignificant. Religion's big promise is God making the believer feel important/central to society and the universe, with an eternal destiny.

(There's a way out with no religion, but that is another long post.)

Effect of Collapse

— The collapse is reflected in the inability of 150+ million Americans to think based on evidence and logic, apart from sheer emotion and reaction now amplified by social media. Unable to think clearly and consistently, unable to separate image from empirical truth, screens from reality. Images and screens are now used to construct mental realities/conspiracies utterly detached from actual reality. Add on Bible-thumping weaponry and you have a virulent, deadly formula. Disneyland, Vegas strip, Times Square, the Super Bowl, these are the symbols and masks for the artificial delusions and mediated/manufactured "events" that dominant our consciousness and culture on an everyday basis.

— I have seen this absolutely with friends and relatives, plus all across culture. Trump-MAGA-GQP is the latest stage of this process, but not the first nor the last. Trump-MAGA-GQP exist alongside WWF, Dancing with the Stars, Masked Singer, Kardashians, American Idol, Ancient Aliens, Bigfoot Hunters, NASCAR, SyFy, UFO conspiracies—the list is endless. There is damn near zero legit science on TV or streaming compared to paranormal-conspiracy-celebrity idiocy.

Conclusion

When something is collapsing, it eventually hits bottom, with the end result being total destruction. TOTAL

From the Supreme Court on down. That means the destruction of reason, logic, truth, facts, evidence, human rights, legal principles, and civil liberties. Destruction of private sanity and public safety (hence the worship of guns, violence) go together, along with destruction of peace and quiet, destruction of civility and kindness. Destruction of secularism and secular education. The list is goes on, but the destruction of consciousness eventually ends in the total destruction of the environment and Earth's ecosystems.

Hence, the Supreme Court attacking the EPA. Poisoned water is just another step. Climate change? It's far more like climate destruction on a planetary scale. Don't forget the nukes, now back in play. Climate and/or nukes, the final destination is: Planet of the Apes (1968 version)

TLDR: We're seeing a massive intellectual/educational collapse in secular society. Buckle up, more destruction is coming.

Ok, so what's the bad news?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

This Sackett ruling is an absolute disaster. One of this court’s worst, and I’m aware of the weight of that statement.

I thought the post above about puddles was a joke. My god.

Actually, it's not.  The reason being, if we had a functioning Congress, they could fix this tomorrow.  This is just statutory interpretation, it doesn't require a constitutional amendment to fix, like Roe/Dobbs would, or the first amendment/election spending regulation cases.

• Hook 'Em 2

32 minutes ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The reason you gave started with an "if", meaning the original description was accurate. Also, it doesn't even address the issue of a functioning Supreme Court.

Prompts an interesting question, should a Supreme Court, of any makeup, take into account whether Congress is "functional" or not and can fix their own screwups.

Because the question in Sackett had nothing to do with the definition of wetlands, or puddles, or adjacent.  The question really was, what does "waters of the United States" mean?  And, in my opinion, that was a goofy-ass way of defining what waters the CWA could regulate.

Pretty good listen about Clearance and the documentary coming out in a a week.

https://www.npr.org/2023/05/31/1179107254/clarence-ginni-thomas-path-to-power

what was shocking to me was that after his confirmation hearing he stopped reading or listening to news, canceled all newspaper suspicions and he got his news from 2 sources

1. his crazy wife 

2. Rush rest in piss Limbaugh, yes that’s right he was influencing him as well. He would have his staff tape Rush show so he could listen to it later. You read that right 

• Rage+1 3

12 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The reason you gave started with an "if", meaning the original description was accurate. Also, it doesn't even address the issue of a functioning Supreme Court.

Oh I'd argue it's functioning *exactly* as the majority wants it 

Actually, it's not.  The reason being, if we had a functioning Congress, they could fix this tomorrow.  This is just statutory interpretation, it doesn't require a constitutional amendment to fix, like Roe/Dobbs would, or the first amendment/election spending regulation cases.

Congress could fix Dobbs tomorrow too. That didn’t make it not a terrible ruling. And yeah, as mentioned already, beyond that conceptual truth Congress is unlikely to fix anything because of the political reality that the GOP will be controlling one or both chambers for the foreseeable future. They exist to obstruct problem solving.

Meanwhile, it’s now open season on wetlands, which are ecologically crucial and among the most efficient carbon sinks in existence. Unlike Dobbs the consequences of this will sail right over the heads of most Americans, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t very real and very severe.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Congress could fix Dobbs tomorrow too. That didn’t make it not a terrible ruling. And yeah, as mentioned already, beyond that conceptual truth Congress is unlikely to fix anything because of the political reality that the GOP will be controlling one or both chambers for the foreseeable future. They exist to obstruct problem solving.

Meanwhile, it’s now open season on wetlands, which are ecologically crucial and among the most efficient carbon sinks in existence. Unlike Dobbs the consequences of this will sail right over the heads of most Americans, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t very real and very severe.

Actually, I'm not really sure Congress could fix Roe/Dobbs.

People talk about federal legislation in this area all the time, but I'm not sure it would be valid.  Part of the reason Roe was legally controversial in the first place is that this is an area traditionally reserved for the states, and without a constitutionally protected privacy interest, there's no real basis for federal legislation.  I guess iNtERstAte cOmMerCe!

• Hook 'Em 1

Congress is a political body.  (Two political bodies.)  SCOTUS should be above politics.  It should be about the law, not reimagining the law to favor a particular political ideology. 

Saying that Sackett is no big deal because in another world Congress could fix it is backwards, in my opinion.  We shouldn't expect Congress to fix bad court behavior.  We should expect the court to get it right.

(Yeah, I know, checks and balances.)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Congress is a political body.  (Two political bodies.)  SCOTUS should be above politics.  It should be about the law, not reimagining the law to favor a particular political ideology. 

Saying that Sackett is no big deal because in another world Congress could fix it is backwards, in my opinion.  We shouldn't expect Congress to fix bad court behavior.  We should expect the court to get it right.

(Yeah, I know, checks and balances.)

I didn't say it wasn't a big deal.  I took issue with whether it is among the worst decisions ever.

If they had ruled that Congress cannot constitutionally regulate entirely intrastate bodies of water, THAT would be a disastrous decision.

As it stands, they just interpreted a statute.  A statute that Congress can fix immediately, at least in theory.

Citizens United is a disastrous decision because there's no legislative recourse.  Or almost none, anyway.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't know why you seriously believe this. Congress very clearly meant to protect wetlands and the Republican justices didn't give a fuck because they don't want the government protecting wetlands. If Congress passes a bill tomorrow that says "no, seriously, we meant it!" there's nothing to stop them from responding with "we still don't give a fuck!"

Edited by wildcat09
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

From the NYT:

Justice Clarence Thomas delayed releasing his annual financial disclosure form with the justices on Wednesday after recent revelations cast scrutiny on his travel, gifts and real estate dealings with a conservative billionaire donor from Texas.

Like Justice Thomas, Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. also asked for a 90-day extension to file the forms, which detail gifts, investments and other financial holdings, according to the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, which handles the financial forms and the database where they are publicly disclosed.

The financial disclosures, particularly that of Justice Thomas, have drawn heightened interest after reports that Harlan Crow, a Texas billionaire and longtime Republican donor, had hosted Justice Thomas on luxury vacations aboard his superyacht, flown him on his private jet and paid private school tuition for the justice’s nephew. Mr. Crow also bought the justice’s childhood home, where his mother still lives, according to ProPublica. Justice Thomas did not include those dealings on his financial disclosures

Roberts and Kav are going to try a half-assed switch in time to try to fend off ethical oversight and reform. But "ok you can have a little Voting Rights Act, when it doesn't matter because we ordered the illegal maps to be used already, as a treat" isn't nearly enough.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 2