Fire destroys warehouse filled with 45,000 bourbon barrels

RPM

A fire destroyed a massive Jim Beam warehouse filled with 45,000 barrels of bourbon, sending flames shooting into the night sky and generating so much heat that firetruck lights melted, authorities said Wednesday.

Firefighters from four counties responded to the blaze that erupted late Tuesday. Lightning might have been a factor, but fire investigators haven’t been able to start looking for the cause, Woodford County Emergency Management Director Drew Chandler said.

Officials from Jim Beam’s parent company, Suntory Food and Beverage, said the multi-story warehouse that burned contained “relatively young whiskey,” meaning it had not reached maturity for bottling for consumers.

“Given the age of the lost whiskey, this fire will not impact the availability of Jim Beam for consumers,” the spirits company said in a statement.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/03/jim-beam-warehouse-with-45000-barrels-of-bourbon-burns-in-kentucky.html

Guest Lobo

Suntory stock is actually up.  Must mean really good insurance policy.  They're probably claiming those exact 45,000 barrels were being aged longer for a special, more expensive product.  

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Officials from Jim Beam’s parent company, Suntory Food and Beverage, said the multi-story warehouse that burned contained “relatively young whiskey,” meaning it had not reached maturity for bottling for consumers.

It's such a tragedy when a young life is cut short. So much potential wiped away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCA_HORN said:

Didn't this happen to a smaller distillery a few years ago?

It was Heaven Hill, I think. Ironically, Jim Beam bailed them out and provided product until they could get back in production.

Lots of things are better than Jim Beam. That doesn't make Jim Beam bad.

I've had better burgers than McDonald's, too, but sometimes a McDonald's cheeseburger will do the job just dandy.

I use Jim Beam rye for making Manhattans, and they come out mighty tasty just like that.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

These are pretty tasty, too. Never have been able to replicate the flavor mixing myself. The cola is impossible to replicate.

jim-beam-cola_1.jpg

Ugh. I wish they sold shit like that in the US (should have qualified - in non liquor stores). When I was last in Costa Rica I went crazy on the cocktail in a cans you could buy from gas stations. 

Edited by ztejas