Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Based on the number of deaths (2,500), there should be around 250,000 cases in Wuhan.

That’s as of 2-3 weeks ago.  The disease doesn’t kill instantaneously.  So the number could be on the order of 1,000,000.  Unless the quarantine orders have been effective in slowing the spread.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I worry that when the US is ultimately hit, people will also assume that quarantining cities is the best option. People have an odd habit of assuming the first reaction is the correct one. 

Why are you against walling off College Station?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Xian said:

Shit going down in Sweden

hospitals so overwhelmed that patients are sleeping in kitchen. So far government is saying just the common flu, but haven’t test for corona yet. If it truly is the common flu, I can’t say I’m impressed with Sweden’s medical system. 

I just asked my Swedish friend and he said it has nothing to do with a virus.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I worry that when the US is ultimately hit, people will also assume that quarantining cities is the best option. People have an odd habit of assuming the first reaction is the correct one. 

Nah, when it starts spreading here, the priority will be to keep commerce going. That’s what corporate America wants, and that’s what we’ll get.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Nah, when it starts spreading here, the priority will be to keep commerce going. That’s what corporate America wants, and that’s what we’ll get.

Yeah, I had someone on Facebook feed recently asking why nobody was talking about shutting down SXSW due to the coronavirus, and my answer is simply, "because money."

57 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t think it’s possible to quarantine an American city like say Houston.   It’s just physically too big with far too many entrances and exits, both on land and sea.   And we have plenty of dipshits who would try and dodge a quarantine, because they think they know better.  

And that’s not even getting into the food situation, where the population in America, outside of a few major cities, is so scattered.

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hopefully the telemedicine/virtual doc visits can be utilized by many patients in the US. Whether by patients that have the Coronavirus or some other condition that doesn’t require a physical visit with the doc.

Hope we can do the telemedicine thing here with more people, like you said.  

Chinese government approves decision to ban consumption of wild animals

China's top political body approved the decision on Monday to ban the consumption and the illegal trade of wild animals, which some experts believe to be the source of the virus.

The National People’s Congress Standing Committee approved the ban on Monday in a bid to help “safeguard public health and ecological security," according to Chinese state media.

The move aims to “completely ban the eating of wild animals” while also “cracking down on illegal trade of wildlife,” state media reports.

The use of wild animals for scientific research, medicine and exhibition will now need to go through “strict examination and approval” by the supervising department in accordance with relevant regulations. 

This comes after Chinese authorities suspended the trade of wild animals on January 26th in an attempt to stop the spread of the virus.

8 minutes ago, bolverk said:

China's top political body approved the decision on Monday to ban the consumption and the illegal trade of wild animals, which some experts believe to be the source of the virus.

The National People’s Congress Standing Committee approved the ban on Monday in a bid to help “safeguard public health and ecological security," according to Chinese state media.

The move aims to “completely ban the eating of wild animals” while also “cracking down on illegal trade of wildlife,” state media reports.

The use of wild animals for scientific research, medicine and exhibition will now need to go through “strict examination and approval” by the supervising department in accordance with relevant regulations. 

This comes after Chinese authorities suspended the trade of wild animals on January 26th in an attempt to stop the spread of the virus.

Took enough years

I read about this earlier this morning and my first thought was how the fuck do you ban something that is already illegal?

16 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Thank God no domesticated animals are vectors for some of the deadliest diseases to man!

13 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
30 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Read more  

I read about this earlier this morning and my first thought was how the fuck do you ban something that is already illegal?

It’s a double secret probation scenario

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
46 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Read more  

It is now strenuously banned.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Better the fuck include shark fins.

45 minutes ago, Bevo Num1 said:
1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Read more  

This is just PR to deflect from reports that the virus came from their labs. 

I’ve been reading this thread too much apparently. I had to go to a dinner party last weekend with my some of my wive’s friends and I brought up my concern of a pandemic. It was like those older movies where the record skips and they just blankly stare at you. On the bright side, maybe I won’t be invited back. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

I’ve been reading this thread too much apparently. I had to go to a dinner party last weekend with my some of my wive’s friends and I brought up my concern of a pandemic. It was like those older movies where the record skips and they just blankly stare at you. On the bright side, maybe I won’t be invited back. 

I received a similar reaction when I drunkenly brought it up on Friday night at a friend's house.  The wives were laughing about it, the husbands (and good buddies of mine) were pondering my thoughts and planning things in the back of their head without saying anything  

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hope we can do the telemedicine thing here with more people, like you said.  

yep. People should take more advantage of virtual visits, whether it's phone only or video chat. For many conditions, doctors don't need to see you in-person, and it's relatively new in Texas that docs can prescribe basic meds for a new patients that they see virtually. (Previously you had to be a patient of that doc.)  Not to mention that there are so many competing services, you can probably see an MD for $25-50 in a matter of minutes.  Much better than urgent or emergency care for many ailments.

I gather US hospitals are most worried about the huge influx of people in the ER, when they will be little that can be done for them with coronavirus. I think most patients will basically have the flu which will go away with basic over the counter treatments. 

Hopefully the CDC will be able to give good guidance on when someone really does need to hit up the emergency room.

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That is never going to happen unless the goal is to cause a situation that would make the 1992 LA riots look like a minor incident.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away