Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Any major city in America is going to have cases. Check this map. It's already in most major cities and all 50 states.

ETpaCFIWAAAtVsD?format=jpg&name=large

But few of those possess the same logistical problems as NY. Very few cities are that over populated and lack green space. 

And California has the built in problems of homelessness(sharing the same streets and neighborhoods, not hidden in the woods), least affordable housing, biggest wealth gap and highest number on welfare. Beside the overcrowding. Of course these areas are going to see Italy like numbers compared to the rest of the country. It’s only logical. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

But few of those possess the same logistical problems as NY. Very few cities are that over populated and lack green space. 

And California has the built in problems of homelessness(sharing the same streets and neighborhoods, not hidden in the woods), least affordable housing, biggest wealth gap and highest number on welfare. Beside the overcrowding. Of course these areas are going to see Italy like numbers compared to the rest of the country. It’s only logical. 

What all this means is that a shit ton of New Yorkers and CA folks are going to move to Austin in fucking droves (more than there have already been) once dust settles.

45 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So you want what is basically already happening but it need it from the top because because. Got it. 

As to the rest, go find whatever you like. I mocked the hysteria. Still do. I also prepped, put my company on WFH 12 days ago and haven’t been around other people since that time while sequestered with my now very irritated wife and kids. If I said it wasn’t a big deal, pull it up. Making fun of y’all’s bullshit and not expecting millions of Americans to die by the end of April doesn’t make me flippant. Beyond that, you committed fraud. You admitted to it on this board. You lied to a pharmacist to get a prescription filled by claiming that you needed a drug so you could go on a scuba trip to Honduras and be protected from contracting malaria. That’s wingnut level shit, plain and simple. 

One of the biggest problems with the way this has unfolded is that now the preppers feel fully empowered to go balls deep with apocalyptic claims and the rest of us just don’t get it. And that will be the thing from here until the end of time because a virus has come along and started ravishing the olds and pummeling the healthcare system (we still presume). It’s like when the sooners or bama idiots win a title. Then they’re right on everything. 

You are seriously the most hysterical motherfucker on this thread. You should go ahead and just change your name to closetoderka with these fucking tomes you've been penning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I do believe density, climate, age, economic standing, cultural norms are going to be found to be big players in this once it's all said and done from the perspective of where it explodes and where it simmers/burns.  That said if density is a big factor good luck with continuing on the recent societal push to embrace density.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nonbryan said:

Can people use expectorants at the sign of early lung symptoms to lessen the severity of lung implications?

No. It will only help with upper respiratory mucous symptoms. There is some suggestion it may make it worse by allowing ever thinning mucous to move deeper into the lungs. Plus the fluid that builds in the lungs from Covid immune reaction comes from capillary extravasation not mucous.  In other words, your body floods your air sacs with fluid when it over reacts to the virus in your lung cells.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I would say think of it this way. If NY hospitals are eventually going to be overrun due to the amount of cases they have, what do you think happens if a rural Kansas hospital sees an uptick in cases? They would be decimated. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

In other words, your body floods your air sacs with fluid when it over reacts to the virus in your lung cells.

This is like the ACEI/ARB thing I’ve obsessed over.  Immunosuppressive drugs would be a bad thing transmission-wise, but there’s an argument that they could help after infection.  

So should my 70+ yo mom stop taking Humira or not?

7 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I do believe density, climate, age, economic standing, cultural norms are going to be found to be big players in this once it's all said and done from the perspective of where it explodes and where it simmers/burns.  That said if density is a big factor good luck with continuing on the recent societal push to embrace density.

So, no CodeNext?

Funnily enough, Manhattan is, by itself, one of the most dense places I think the world (70k per sq mile), but we are third in cases in NYC. Brooklyn and Queens taking the tops, which are both significantly less dense.

14 minutes ago, G650 said:

You are seriously the most hysterical motherfucker on this thread. You should go ahead and just change your name to closetoderka with these fucking tomes you've been penning.

Meh, meh, bleh bleh, something something,  sick burn comparing poster to “oh noez!” derka, closetojumping you suck and should go die you meanie and now i will downvote you and show you, ctj!

Same shit from you any time your weak ass shows up to post. Also, derka is like 1000 times better as a poster than you and your buddies on this thread combined. I’d rather spend a Greenspoint mandated year-long quarantine debating with derka than having to spend 15 minutes of real life listening to whatever lame bullshit you guys wish go paranoid and negative on. 

• Like 1

No. It will only help with upper respiratory mucous symptoms. There is some suggestion it may make it worse by allowing ever thinning mucous to move deeper into the lungs. Plus the fluid that builds in the lungs from Covid immune reaction comes from capillary extravasation not mucous.  In other words, your body floods your air sacs with fluid when it over reacts to the virus in your lung cells.
So what medications would you recommend for people that are symptomatic?

Are you a wizard?

40 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I wish I had an extra house right now.  No way I’d sell it until we’re past the hysteria part that forcing me to WFH.  I could just go live in the extra house.  Wife and I are driving each other INSANE.  Corona is quickly turning from a physical ailment to mental torture.   

Shooting in Cedar Park this morning. Looks like the husband killed the wife because he was so tired of her

Worldometers reporting 88 deaths today in the US. Ugh. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

previous high was upper 50s.  This site seems to operate on GMT time as opposed to local, so a “day” is slightly skewed locally but doesn’t matter in the long run. Also I imagine they are listing the death as the date it’s announced not necessarily when it occurred.

31 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

So Fly-Over states for the win!

1 minute ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Another of the early thoughts has been questioned - elderberry extract (which was discussed a bit here as a possible treatment) may actually be bad because it can increase cytokines and most folks die of a “cytokine storm.”

https://trendflare.com/site/elderberry-warning-for-covid19-coronavirus/

Anyone heard from 2300 Nueces lately?

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So should my 70+ yo mom stop taking Humira or not?

If her doctors gave the okay it would be an extremely predictive call. Humira does block TNF (tumor necrosis factor) which is implicated in the autoimmune storm that Covid 19 can cause. But it can make one more susceptible to infection in the first place. There are other immunologics that are proposed to treat severe Covid reactions. I haven’t seen Humira mentioned but there is likely discussion on it.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

you guys wish go paranoid and negative on. 

I'm actually one of the ones saying it's not going to be that bad, but carry on man. I'm just pointing out you are a massive emotional pussy. You couldn't even keep this response to a single paragraph.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Worldometers reporting 88 deaths today in the US. Ugh. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

previous high was upper 50s.  This site seems to operate on GMT time as opposed to local, so a “day” is slightly skewed locally but doesn’t matter in the long run. Also I imagine they are listing the death as the date it’s announced not necessarily when it occurred.

Worldometers is setting off my bullshit detector with its numbers.

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Funnily enough, Manhattan is, by itself, one of the most dense places I think the world (70k per sq mile), but we are third in cases in NYC. Brooklyn and Queens taking the tops, which are both significantly less dense.

Do Brooklyn and Queens residents have a longer transit commute when compared to your average Manhattan resident?  Maybe it's being spread via transit, where people sit or touch infected parts of trains and then touch their face on their ride to/from work.  Perhaps it's not simply the density, but the use of shared objects like buses, trains or taxis.  Just a thought...

37 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

I had a patient who said all the homeless people in San Francisco disappeared.

27 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

you mean Gore-ville might have a downside?

5 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:
22 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

Read more  

Vitamin C and Zinc (without citrate). Follow manufacturers recommendations. Even the data on that is not great but better than nothing. Use Tylenol not NSAIDS at least for Covid. Otherwise everything else over the counter is just symptom treatment and will do nothing to speed recovery or prevent complications.

I would love to say that this “root” and that “extract” would help but there is not good evidence to put a lot of hope in those substances. I don’t mind them if they don’t cause harm and don’t give someone a false sense of security if the illness gets more serious.

• Like 3

Vitamin C and Zinc (without citrate). Follow manufacturers recommendations. Even the data on that is not great but better than nothing. Use Tylenol not NSAIDS at least for Covid. Otherwise everything else over the counter is just symptom treatment and will do nothing to speed recovery or prevent complications.

I would love to say that this “root” and that “extract” would help but there is not good evidence to put a lot of hope in those substances. I don’t mind them if they don’t cause harm and don’t give someone a false sense of security if the illness gets more serious.

My doc said Vitamin D makes a big difference. Almost everyone is deficient especially in winter. I take 5000 units a day on his orders.

Edit: for prevention not treatment

8 minutes ago, Hanrahan said:

Worldometers is setting off my bullshit detector with its numbers.

There doesn’t seem to be an official source of case or even death counts now.  The CDC only updates their site on weekdays. 

worldofmeters, cnn, nytimes, and John Hopkins are all in the same ballpark as far as reporting numbers. But since they probably rely on state/local govt, or perhaps local news, I imagine there are mistakes, duplicate data, etc. I don’t think we can fully trust the cdc now. Not necessarily for political reasons but because I think the problem has grown beyond perfect information. It’s more about trends.

edit: I do question how worldometers calculates critical/severe cases. I don’t believe that info is reported or at least not consistently.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

5 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I had a patient who said all the homeless people in San Francisco disappeared.

Was his name James Cole, perhaps?

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

This site is much better than Worldometers in my opinion

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/#stat

That’s a good site for US specific stuff, but worldometers is usually refreshed more often and I’ve found them to be pretty good. They’ve had a few wacky numbers post temporarily and then get fixed. They source and cite pretty well too. 

14 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:
32 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

you-are-already-dead-you-just-dont-know-

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away