Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Looking at Washington, the original predictions from this thread are really coming home to roost. There are Doctor Death Squads patrolling hospitals throughout the state, being forced to select who will live and who will die as the healthcare system buckles and is brought to its knees while many who need help are forced to die, staring longingly into ICU rooms while they take their last gasps, unable to be treated. 

Or, infections have gone down or leveled off. 93% of those tested were negative. More women than men have succumbed. 83% of the deaths there, roughly 15-20% of all deaths in the US so far, are 70+years old. 

Seattle and the state of Washington got aggressive with their actions a week ago, after the big nursing home outbreak but not incredibly ahead of everyone else. 

• Like 1

Good in depth article: Coronavirus: The Hammer and the Dance

Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

1*a9Lcz2g8DkKdnW0o_vk3ow.png

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Hate to break it to you all but old Rand is asympotmatic, feels fine and was only tested out of an abundance of caution given his travel, blah blah blah.  

Considering nearly half his colleagues are in their 70s and 80s....

• Like 1

Just now, triplehorn said:

Summary of the article: Strong coronavirus measures today should only last a few weeks, there shouldn’t be a big peak of infections afterwards, and it can all be done for a reasonable cost to society, saving millions of lives along the way. If we don’t take these measures, tens of millions will be infected, many will die, along with anybody else that requires intensive care, because the healthcare system will have collapsed.

This is pretty much where this has always been going.

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Ongoing, as in indefinitely, as in forever ever?

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not on the recruiting boards, I see. No reason for you to spend time there, I guess, but the best thing about CTJ is that he doesn’t do brief.  

Verbose people should be beaten with a rubber hose.

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Sir, will you kindly stay the fuck out of the way of a contingent of posters here who are merely tending to the business of cheering for someone’s death that they’ve never met. 

Not cheering for his death. I find notion of his ass having a health scare related to an illness that he deliberately delayed passage of a bill related to ironic and funny.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Hate to break it to you all but old Rand is asympotmatic, feels fine and was only tested out of an abundance of caution given his travel, blah blah blah.  

He had 6 ribs broken and part of his lung removed following a tackle by a 5'6" 140# retired anesthesiologist. 

• Like 7

16 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

New York numbers continue to go way up. Of course they are testing more than other states but their deaths continue to rise. 75 and counting.  Will pass WA’s 94 soon.  CA is 3rd at just 26. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

New York just blew by everyone on deaths. 114 now, passing WA’s 94. CA in 3rd worth just 28. 

It’s clearly blowing up there and not just because the decided to test more. 

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not on the recruiting boards, I see. No reason for you to spend time there, I guess, but the best thing about CTJ is that he doesn’t do brief.  

1 minute ago, G650 said:

Verbose people should be beaten with a rubber hose.

Brevity is the soul of twits. See G650, front and center. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Can you just jump already?

Paul voted against the first COVID relief bill. He should be forced to quarantine for 2 weeks without pay. Since he doesn’t think anyone else deserves it. 

Dude, tell us more about the political anger to this. It’s really entertaining and interesting. 

Also, just be honest about what you’re doing. You believe that Rand Paul deserves to die, and you hope he rots in hell. Just don’t yell at me in the fall when I’m cheering for injuries to our opponents in football games. 

• Like 2

Looking at Washington, the original predictions from this thread are really coming home to roost. There are Doctor Death Squads patrolling hospitals throughout the state, being forced to select who will live and who will die as the healthcare system buckles and is brought to its knees while many who need help are forced to die, staring longingly into ICU rooms while they take their last gasps, unable to be treated. 
Or, infections have gone down or leveled off. 93% of those tested were negative. More women than men have succumbed. 83% of the deaths there, roughly 15-20% of all deaths in the US so far, are 70+years old. 
Seattle and the state of Washington got aggressive with their actions a week ago, after the big nursing home outbreak but not incredibly ahead of everyone else. 

Your insistence in spiking the football in the 3rd inning is a bit odd.
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Just now, Somnio said:

Ongoing, as in indefinitely, as in forever ever?

"The Dance" has always been ongoing.  This is a severe wake up call.  It's not hard to see how there will be immediate term, medium, and long term actions taken to better contain and prevent this kind of thing from happening again.  Some of the needed changes have been well understood for a long time but not enacted with foresight or in a timely manner others will be adjusted on the fly based off real time circumstances and data.  I expect it should involve strategic stockpiling, re-vamped strategic global communication, coordinated local action plans, education, etc.  This is also one of those deals where we can't let a rogue state flip the bird at the rest.  It's the same outcome for the whole body as ignoring early signs of cancer. 

German authorities announced a ban on gatherings of two or more people as the country scrambles to address the novel coronavirus outbreak. 

In a press conference aired Sunday evening local time, Prime Minister of North Rhine-Westphalia Armin Laschet said the government was aiming to cut down on contact between Germans outside of their immediate families and the policy would be enforced by police and local authorities.

The ban, which does not apply to families, would be take effect on March 23 until the Easter holidays around April 19, and violators could expect fines up to 25,000 EUR (26,908.75 USD,) Laschet said. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/germany-ban-2-or-more-people-new-coronavirus-rules-2020-3

Edited by Blotto

I think the private sector is going to save our asses. Elon and the Detroit boys working on making ventilators and Facebook donated 720,000 masks they had in case fires had stayed around longer. These are just a couple examples...but even medical scientists are about to pull off some super hero shit.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Has a real doctor told you not to take them, or just message board idiots?  Throat closing up isn’t something to fuck with. Your chances of dying if your throat closes and you can’t breath are much higher than if you catch the corona virus, even if you’re old. Listen to your doctor

LOL, probably this.  We are truly fucked.  

11 minutes ago, G650 said:

Anyone wishing this on someone else is emotionally malformed.

I'm assuming by 'this' you mean 'shelter in place'.  And I agree, heathens...

We will survive these few weeks of this then quarantine the hell out of the olds and immunocompromised...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tailgate said:

I think the private sector is going to save our asses. Elon and the Detroit boys working on making ventilators and Facebook donated 720,000 masks they had in case fires had stayed around longer. These are just a couple examples...but even medical scientists are about to pull off some super hero shit.

I sure as fuck am not relying on Elon.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm assuming by 'this' you mean 'shelter in place'.  And I agree, heathens...

We will survive these few weeks of this then quarantine the hell out of the olds and immunocompromised...

I think we should start making predictions.   I'm sticking with 4/20 initial opening up with restrictions such at the above, restaurants and bars at half capacity, initially suggesting offices continue 50% working from home (rotating weekly).  We have to fucking open the economy back at some point so need the private sector to get us there as mentioned above (PPE/Ventilator production) and mass testing.  It's going to be a balancing act, and ugly at times, but got to get there.

29 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

New York just blew by everyone on deaths. 114 now, passing WA’s 94. CA in 3rd worth just 28. 

It’s clearly blowing up there and not just because the decided to test more. 

Worldometers greatly increased the total plus dead in NY and they don’t reference where they got that total. They have 23k total cases in NY whereas other sites have 16k. Don’t know if they are posting less substantiated info or it’s a mistake. 

32 minutes ago, G650 said:

Anyone wishing this on someone else is emotionally malformed.

well that includes about, what .... I'd say, 94.5% of surly posters. so why act so surprised that it was posted on this board?
like you've never even been here before, smdh

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Your insistence in spiking the football in the 3rd inning is a bit odd.

The only thing I am declaring victory on is the full blown silliness and declarative nature around Seattle that happened on this thread. Next up will be “we’re Italy, only two weeks ago!!!”. We’ll give that a week. 

I get what we’re doing. I also know that this is miserable shit and a miserable blow to the economy, families, the middle class, on and on. So I’m not dwelling on it and cutting myself. Some people participating here choose to be scientists, some fake doctors, some real, some doomsday heralds, some sober and straight. At least it’s entertaining while we watch the world swirl down the toilet. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Worldometers greatly increased the total plus dead in NY and they don’t reference where they got that total. They have 23k total cases in NY whereas other sites have 16k. Don’t know if they are posting less substantiated info or it’s a mistake. 

Total cases maybe but everyone has NY deaths at 114. 

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/#stat

Edited by Don Johnson

15 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Someone could correct me but isn't Japan despite average age much better at keeping themselves healthy?  I get a first hand chance to see the type of population that comes through my clinics and also lies in our hospital.  We are a sickly population akin to a third world country. Probably worse because we sit on our collective asses and consume ungodly amounts of simple carbohydrates. Obesity rates are through the roof and comorbid conditions abound. All you need to do is walk into any Dollar Store or Wal-Mart to assess the overall health of our country. It is depressing and it gives the Covid 19 virus a fertile field to create havoc (unlike Shaka's 19-20 defense). And unfortunately it will take some healthy people as well.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Seattle went ghost town a week before the NBA shut down.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away