Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

That isn't true at all. 

Director of Illinois Department of Health:

Essentially, Dr. Ezike explained that anyone who passes away after testing positive for the virus is included in that category. 

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined.

https://week.com/2020/04/20/idph-director-explains-how-covid-deaths-are-classified/

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

It is in some jurisdictions, like Illinois.  

No it's not.  I've personally had over 50 patients test negative and get off the C19 unit.  Then at least 3 I know of off the top of my head died from something completely unrelated and C19 sure as hell wasn't on the death cert unless someone altered it - tinfoil alert...

• Like 7

SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (WICS/WRSP) — The Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) includes everyone who tests positive for COVID-19 in their daily count, including the number of deaths, even if the virus didn’t kill them.

As of Tuesday, May 12, more than 3,600 with COVID-19 have died in Illinois.

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/illinois-numbers-adjusted-to-account-for-non-covid-cause-of-death  

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

No it's not.  I've personally had over 50 patients test negative and get off the C19 unit.  Then at least 3 I know of off the top of my head died from something completely unrelated and C19 sure as hell wasn't on the death cert unless someone altered it - tinfoil alert...

Then the state is overriding the death cert, apparently.  This has happened in Colorado as well.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Dr Ezike seemed pretty clear in that quote.  Doesn’t seem tin foil to believe the Director of the State Health Department. 

Edited by Don Johnson

2 hours ago, jinx said:

This is almost the exact situation with my 9 year old.  She is a socializer (no CR) above all, and cannot stand the lockdown limiting her ability to connect with people.

It's not the best, but is she at least doing FaceTime and Zoom with her friends (away from the school Zoom sessions) as well as relatives?  My kids are hopping on FaceTime with various relatives on a near-daily basis, and my first grader is talking with his friends if not every day, then every other day.  Not ideal, but at least giving them something.  

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

You can get history for the state as a whole, but not Austin. 

Which is fucking ridiculous.   Maybe somebody should tweet at Fitlump and ask her if she will release the data if elected to City Council.  Get her going on some tinfoil shit for a while.

9 minutes ago, elguapo said:

I see that the latest fox news watching old white person facebook chatter has made it to the thread.

I posted a statement of fact backed by evidence.  You posted political bullshit. Bravo.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Like 8

18 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/illinois-numbers-adjusted-to-account-for-non-covid-cause-of-death  

Then the state is overriding the death cert, apparently.  This has happened in Colorado as well.  

I'm looking at the still shot of what you posted - it clearly says - 'had Covid at the same time'.  These patients tested negative eventually and got off the C19 floor.  I'm saying those certainly did not have C19 on the certs.  Read what I posted - tested negative and got off the C19 unit. 

8 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Dead serious question - is that not a real quote?  Has it been debunked?

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I posted a statement of fact backed by evidence.  You posted political bullshit. Bravo.  

Please explain to me why I should care how Illinois is tracking its covid numbers? I watched the interview and Dr. Ezike stated that their numbers are being revised downwards to reflect actual covid deaths, what's the problem with that?

CDC does not use Illinois figures in their reported covid death count, they get their data from birth certificates. This is another obvious attempt to push the politically driven narrative that deaths are being over reported.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I'm looking at the still shot of what you posted - it clearly says - 'had Covid at the same time'.  These patients tested negative eventually and got off the C19 floor.  I'm saying those certainly did not have C19 on the certs.  Read what I posted - tested negative and got off the C19 unit. 

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined

1 hour ago, XYZ said:

New record of daily new cases in Texas yesterday of 1636? That’s no bueno.

I don't know where you saw that but from the data in the txdshs Covid tracker new cases today were 1,448 which is the largest new case number.  Yesterday was 1,355.  Day before that was 1,179.  The good news is testing is going way up.  35.8k today (with counties still reporting)  and 49.2k yesterday.  Positive infection rate yesterday was 2.8% and today it is 4% so far. 

Hospitalizations ticked down from yesterday as well to 1,648.

Tough to judge on daily numbers and trends are more helpful.  We are trending down on hospitalizations and positive infection rates.  Fatalities are a mixed bag but today so far is our deadliest day at 58

30 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Dr Ezike seemed pretty clear in that quote.  Doesn’t seem tin foil to believe the Director of the State Health Department. 

Nope - it would still be tin foil.  I'm saying these patients tested negative and got off the floor eventually.  Dr. Ezike very clearly says 'had a C19 diagnoses at the same time'.  So the patients I'm talking about absolutely would NOT have C19 on their death certs. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Bolded for those arguing that aren't physicians.

2 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Please explain to me why I should care how Illinois is tracking its covid numbers? I watched the interview and Dr. Ezike stated that their numbers are being revised downwards to reflect actual covid deaths, what's the problem with that?

CDC does not use Illinois figures in their reported covid death count, they get their data from birth certificates. This is another obvious attempt to push the politically driven narrative that deaths are being over reported.

I don't know if you should care.  I was responding to a claim about how Covid deaths are being counted.  There is a quite a bit of cross-jurisdictional heterogeneity.  

The CDC does not just look at death certificates.  Go back to the cloak room.  Your drive by shit posts don't add much.  

4 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Accuracy so we can make good decisions going forward?  Seems like a reason to care.

As for the revising downward, her quote:

Dr. Ezike said it is now time to adjust the numbers to reflect the actual death toll from COVID-19.

"Sometimes after further review, we will see that, like, a motor vehicle accident, or if it was a gunshot case or a homicide case," Dr. Ezike said. "If we see that that is included in the numbers then we would have to adjust those numbers."

• Like 1

The CDC does not just look at death certificates.

It's on their website, go read for yourself how they source their numbers.

Your drive by shit posts don't add much.  

Neither does your agenda driven Facebook sourced misinformation.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

I don't know if you should care.  I was responding to a claim about how Covid deaths are being counted.  There is a quite a bit of cross-jurisdictional heterogeneity.  

The CDC does not just look at death certificates.  Go back to the cloak room.  Your drive by shit posts don't add much.  

Yes it does, or at least the National Center for Health Statistics does.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/index.htm

It is interesting information from Illinois and is counter to the guidance I've seen from the CDC. I'm a bit confused about her statements though and how the state is even identifying covid-19 related deaths. It seems like they must be looking at something besides death certificates. 

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Nope - it would still be tin foil.  I'm saying these patients tested negative and got off the floor eventually.  Dr. Ezike very clearly says 'had a C19 diagnoses at the same time'.  So the patients I'm talking about absolutely would NOT have C19 on their death certs. 

Ok, I got you.  The quote should've been if you are positive for CV-19 at the time of death, you are automatically recorded as a CV-19 death in some states like Illinois, even if you died of a "clear alternative cause."

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

Ok, I got you.  The quote should've been if you are positive for CV-19 at the time of death, you are automatically recorded as a CV-19 death in some states like Illinois, even if you died of a "clear alternative cause."

Yep.  

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

It is interesting information from Illinois and is counter to the guidance I've seen from the CDC. I'm a bit confused about her statements though and how the state is even identifying covid-19 related deaths. It seems like they must be looking at something besides death certificates. 

confusion reigns...but this is normal for you

5 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I was referring to the CDC case and death counts here, which is used for COVID-19 surveillance.  They do not just use death certificates.  State agencies are encouraged not to just use death certificates.  

6 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Arggjhrflrjfjdjekd!!!!   Fox news trumpy. Fkkfk mcmnendns!!!!!   Liemskidn

Argghhh!!!!!1!!1!!!

Just got back from the HEB in town. Here in the triple 6 seems like no one gives a fuck. About 30% of the people wearing masks. Quite of few of those had them down below their nose and mouth. Bobcat bumps are not going to be the only thing spreading around San Marcos this summer. 

Fuck it, just put C-19 on everyone's certificates for the next 18 months. 

22 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/nursing-home-investigations/family-files-lawsuit-against-austin-nursing-home-in-workers-death/

@Brisketexan @TwiceHorn @Ghost of LL Are we going to see a lot more of these and/or do they have a leg to stand on (I’m not one of the thousands of Surly lawyers but it seems like it).  Jury trial would be beneficial.

Unfortunately, I don't really know enough about workers' comp to tell you.  If it is a compensable injury under the Texas Workers' Compensation Act, then that's the exclusive remedy.  You get workers' comp and you can't sue in court.

If it's not compensable under TWCA, then the employee can sue.

I just don't know if contracting a communicable disease is a compensable injury.  I would suspect that it's not.  But that statute is incredibly broad.

21 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Lawyers/lawsuits could be the second wave of the virus 

Only if negligent conduct that injures people is part of the first wave.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

For your livestock update, boxed beef continued to fade a bit, and packer runs were steady to slightly higher, pork spiked to new highs suddenly this AM, but packer runs continued to increase. The pork spike is likely tied to actual available supplies on the spot market and restocking with some things available again, spot beef is hitting the market as well which should ease the hamburger price spike. 

You are doing God's work, Royal.

Thanks for the analysis.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

San Antonio stats. 

hospitalized patients

may 13- 81

May 7- 83

vented patients 

may 13- 27

may 7- 20

Probably need to separate SA from the rest of the state. I love my hometown but holy moly the whole town is a Covid complication breeding ground.  Obesity and diabetes as far as the eye can see. 

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Don Johnson said:

Accuracy so we can make good decisions going forward?  Seems like a reason to care.

As for the revising downward, her quote:

Dr. Ezike said it is now time to adjust the numbers to reflect the actual death toll from COVID-19.

"Sometimes after further review, we will see that, like, a motor vehicle accident, or if it was a gunshot case or a homicide case," Dr. Ezike said. "If we see that that is included in the numbers then we would have to adjust those numbers."

ha. doctor -"this person has a massive head wound from a gunshot"

coroner - "test showed covid19"

doctor "yes but he died from the gunshot would that happened 2 hours ago"

coroner "mark it Covid19, Donnie!!!"

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 3

Probably need to separate SA from the rest of the state. I love my hometown but holy moly the whole town is a Covid complication breeding ground.  Obesity and diabetes as far as the eye can see. 
f2b59a171a60d840255e34873fe04f17.jpg

It'd be more accurate to exclude Austin because DFW, Houston, and the rest of Texas are right there with SA. We are the fats.

11 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

spacer.png

Just providing the info that I have access to. 

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Tough to judge on daily numbers and trends are more helpful.  We are trending down on hospitalizations and positive infection rates.  Fatalities are a mixed bag but today so far is our deadliest day at 58

Completely agree. We really need to stop focusing on cumulations as daily reporting goes. It makes for clickable scary headlines but doesn't do much to inform months into a pandemic. I would like to see rolling 5 day average of state daily increase numbers (yes, I could do the math but most people won't).  It would be good to see trends on active cases vs recovered but that data is complete crap because overall, our tracing program statewide is crap. My county is doing a good job albeit with smaller numbers.  I think we are seeing deaths jump with data dumps into the state agencies on certain days. Look at the state website and the numbers peak mid week then start to drop. Once again, a rolling average like the state has on positive tests would be nice and not as likely to cause freak out in the general public.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

About 30% of the people wearing masks.

This concerns me and this is why we can't have nice things. I would say the mask wear rate at two Waco stores (Academy and Lowe's) I went in today was no higher than 20% and maybe 50% on the employees at Academy. Luckily both stores were not crowded.  If these people end up getting my gym closed down again right when it opens next week, I will go crazy.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Newdoc said:

Completely agree. We really need to stop focusing on cumulations as daily reporting goes. It makes for clickable scary headlines but doesn't do much to inform months into a pandemic. I would like to see rolling 5 day average of state daily increase numbers (yes, I could do the math but most people won't).  It would be good to see trends on active cases vs recovered but that data is complete crap because overall, our tracing program statewide is crap. My county is doing a good job albeit with smaller numbers.  I think we are seeing deaths jump with data dumps into the state agencies on certain days. Look at the state website and the numbers peak mid week then start to drop. Once again, a rolling average like the state has on positive tests would be nice and not as likely to cause freak out in the general public.

This concerns me and this is why we can't have nice things. I would say the mask wear rate at two Waco stores (Academy and Lowe's) I went in today was no higher than 20% and maybe 50% on the employees at Academy. Luckily both stores were not crowded.  If these people end up getting my gym closed down again right when it opens next week, I will go crazy.

This Is interesting. Seems like such a wide variability. In SA at my HEB and Lowe’s It’s routinely at least 75% wearing masks and that’s being conservative. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away