Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Went to Home Depot last weekend to pick up an online order. Maybe 20% mask wearers and I've seen so many people wearing them with their nose uncovered. Why bother at that point.
Saw that a lot yesterday and I'm convinced that they're weezers with COPD. Or stupid.

So this is all sorts of fun:

https://nypost.com/2020/05/13/nyc-health-commissioner-wouldnt-supply-nypd-with-masks/

New York City’s health commissioner blew off an urgent NYPD request for 500,000 surgical masks as the coronavirus crisis mounted — telling a high-ranking police official that “I don’t give two rats’ asses about your cops,” The Post has learned.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined

https://newschannel20.com/news/local/illinois-numbers-adjusted-to-account-for-non-covid-cause-of-death

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/dr-ngozi-ezike-refutes-notion-that-illinois-is-over-counting-covid-19-deaths/2270810/

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/05/12/illinois-is-not-inflating-coronavirus-deaths-in-fact-theyre-likely-higher-than-reported-officials-say/

These three links might clear things up for you

Edited by Seger78
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s an absolute failure of Surly leadership. There was extensive documentation on the highly contagious and hazardous Politics Virus. Despite the leaders of that forum claiming their virus, which made the evolutionary jump from the weasel, could not be transferred from person to person, the mods had an obligation to protect to posters of Daily Texan. All travel to and from that forum should have been immediately halted. Quarantine should have occurred for anyone having visited that forum within the past 30 days and anyone showing symptoms (excess nationalism, race-baiting, pics proudly displaying their AR-15 collection, sudden obsession with Robin Hood, anti-gay statements, bitching about everything, etc.) should have initiated exhaustive contact tracing and further quarantine.

Instead, our leadership waited until it was too late to contain this pandemic by taking a weak stance on travel to infected areas, failing to properly identify infected personnel (some who were asymtomatic but contagious). Multitudes of infected posters were were told to stay home but failed to heed the instructions, without consequences. We quickly reached the point of untraceable community transmission. Posters who never traveled outside of their safe space have contracted the Politics Virus and are silently infecting unsuspecting members of their family and the general public. The mods have given up, hoping for an eventual herd immunity. It appears the oldest posters of the Daily Texan may have died and the forum population is beginning to mirror that of the Politics discussion board, who already had herd immunity from drinking from the same jizz jar during daily circle jerk parties.

Just because it needed to be posted again.......

Went to Home Depot last weekend and have no idea who had masks or not because I ordered curbside pickup and brought a yeti full of Austin Amber with me like a true degenerate. I don't think I even wore shoes.

Not having to interact with anybody in a retail store will be Covid's greatest legacy. It's fuckin' fantastic.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 8

Went to Home Depot last weekend and have no idea who had masks or not because I ordered curbside pickup and brought a yeti full of Austin Amber with me like a true degenerate. I don't think I even wore shoes.

Not having to interact with anybody in a retail store will be Covid's greatest legacy. It's fuckin' fantastic.

I haven’t been in an actual store in 2 months now. While I agree it’s awesome..when it comes to groceries and you have some dumb shit picking out your near expired shit, i can’t wait to get back for normalcy

Home Depot and target curbside have been clutch tho

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Hope the wait wasn't too long otherwise when they show up with your order...

spacer.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Based on your posts it's a win win for society as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So the Gf's (no pics) father first had symptoms on 3/30, with all the telltale signs of loss of smell/taste, fever, cough, etc. His last symptom was on 4/12, he got the antibody/abx (is antibodies abbreviated to abx?) test done on 5/6, and at some point before 5/13 they got the results that he had short term and long term abx which the doc said meant that he might still be infectious. So the Doctor ordered a CoVid test and that was done on 5/12, but the results won't be back for 5-7 days.

Normally I wouldn't care since the Gf and her sister live together near me and away from their folks but the Gf and said sister went to have lunch with their father and another relative, who is still working their daily route for USPS, on 5/10; he picked them up for an hour or so trip out to the restaurant, hour or so back, windows up with AC on. I have been busy since the wknd so my response on 5/13 was, "Peace! See you on 5/24 if you aren't sick."

But my question is, how the hell can he still be infectious over a month after being symptom free? Was the abx test just fucked up? Guess we'll know more in 5-7 days, which is also fucking terrible that it takes that long but at least its better than 2 weeks or no test at all, which is what they told him back in March.

• Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Not at all. They are only adjusting for gunshots, car accidents etc. Thats already been discussed.  

It does seem helpful. Others in this thread had suggested that any cause was being included (including gunshots and car accidents). This is saying that they are trying to remove obvious non-covid related deaths, but that other types of death may be related to uncommon presentations of the disease. For instance, stroke may be an uncommon presentation, but not would not be a surprising presentation based on previous evidence of the disease generating clotting problems. 

2 hours ago, dcar00 said:

ha. doctor -"this person has a massive head wound from a gunshot"

coroner - "test showed covid19"

doctor "yes but he died from the gunshot would that happened 2 hours ago"

coroner "mark it Covid19, Donnie!!!"

Those are the ones the state is removing. And I dont think coroners/treating physicians would be categorizing cause like that, so the state must be relying on something besides death certificates, at least for its initial reporting. 

4 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

Went to Home Depot last weekend to pick up an online order. Maybe 20% mask wearers and I've seen so many people wearing them with their nose uncovered. Why bother at that point.

It's the mouth breathers you need to worry about. 

Guest Lobo

wait, why are so many Covid-19 patients getting shot?  This is madness, why are gun stores open during the pandemic?!?!?!

2 hours ago, Newdoc said:

This concerns me and this is why we can't have nice things. I would say the mask wear rate at two Waco stores (Academy and Lowe's) I went in today was no higher than 20% and maybe 50% on the employees at Academy. Luckily both stores were not crowded.  If these people end up getting my gym closed down again right when it opens next week, I will go crazy.

20% seems to be on the high end in NE  Texas. I'd say 10-15% is the norm. Most employees required to wear them do it halfway, under their nose or hanging on their chin.

Edited by rpspeed

1 hour ago, Dahobbs said:

Those are the ones the state is removing. And I dont think coroners/treating physicians would be categorizing cause like that, so the state must be relying on something besides death certificates, at least for its initial reporting. 

It was a joke.  I'm sure they are categorizing gunshot wounds as covid19.  that would be ridiculous.

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Oh, and this:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/05/13/cuomo-de-blasio-cant-agree-on-how-many-new-yorkers-have-died-from-coronavirus-1283901

The pissing match between Cuomo and deBlasio has been going on for years.  It is ridiculous.

I don't know that many New Yorkers, but the ones I do know, if you get two of them together in a room, it's going to be a pissing match.  They seem to like to argue.

3 hours ago, achooloco said:

So the Gf's (no pics) father first had symptoms on 3/30, with all the telltale signs of loss of smell/taste, fever, cough, etc. His last symptom was on 4/12, he got the antibody/abx (is antibodies abbreviated to abx?) test done on 5/6, and at some point before 5/13 they got the results that he had short term and long term abx which the doc said meant that he might still be infectious. So the Doctor ordered a CoVid test and that was done on 5/12, but the results won't be back for 5-7 days.

Normally I wouldn't care since the Gf and her sister live together near me and away from their folks but the Gf and said sister went to have lunch with their father and another relative, who is still working their daily route for USPS, on 5/10; he picked them up for an hour or so trip out to the restaurant, hour or so back, windows up with AC on. I have been busy since the wknd so my response on 5/13 was, "Peace! See you on 5/24 if you aren't sick."

But my question is, how the hell can he still be infectious over a month after being symptom free? Was the abx test just fucked up? Guess we'll know more in 5-7 days, which is also fucking terrible that it takes that long but at least its better than 2 weeks or no test at all, which is what they told him back in March.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you keep reading at the very end they say it’s been a pessimistic model. Which when it was debuted a lot of us scoffed at it. 4 weeks later we’re still not trending up at all for deaths, between 20-30 daily.

https://cse.umn.edu/college/feature-stories/modeling-covid-19-minnesota why we keep referring to it, no idea

We’ll see I guess.

wait, so the Asians ARE or ARE NOT the ones modelling the way on controlling this?

Which narrative are we following?

Also, the reporting of infections, as if there are no other factors like age, hospitalization, and death ; is absolutely responsible journalism, right?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

Is it currently mandated in Texas to wear face covering when you are in public places? I lost track of the executive orders.

Hell no it isn't. I have not worn a mask one single instance and had zero problems. In fact, I see the percentage of people wearing masks slowly starting to dwindle as the days go by. The hype is wearing off for many.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, immamac said:

Man, fuck you. You get to be a mod since you think it's so fucking glorious. 

Listen, I’ll happily moderate this thread for you. I can guarantee complete fair and impartial judgement in accordance with my own personal opinions, and I give you my word I’ll only ban 2-3 people per week because they’re being shitbirds. Let’s be honest, you’re not going to find a better deal than that. 

So after being somewhat reopened for two weeks the Georgia numbers still look pretty flat. There was a snafu with the numbers one day that pissed a lot of people off but that’s over.

Daily cases / deaths

1b45700b739ac3865e2b36e241cfa229.png

ac7c5eb4a5efd21a72cd601c820c119b.png

Hope it stays that way as more people get out this weekend.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

So after being somewhat reopened for two weeks the Georgia numbers still look pretty flat. There was a snafu with the numbers one day that pissed a lot of people off but that’s over.

The Georgia story is all over the headlines this morning, and rightly so.  If an aggressive reopening with proper safety requirements don't result in a significant spike, that's great news for all of us. 

But I'm cautious about the numbers, so here are my questions:  Is two weeks out a good measure of success?  In other words, there's going to be a gradual delay of the masses venturing out after retail, restaurants, workplaces, etc. open up, and with additional delays of transmission, symptoms, testing, and outcomes, do we really have an accurate picture of how Georgia's aggressive opening will pan out?  Will another two weeks give us a better picture?  I ask this as someone who is anxious--no, desperate--to break free from this fucking holding pattern. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The Georgia story is all over the headlines this morning, and rightly so.  If an aggressive reopening with proper safety requirements don't result in a significant spike, that's great news for all of us. 

But I'm cautious about the numbers, so here are my questions:  Is two weeks out a good measure of success?  In other words, there's going to be a gradual delay of the masses venturing out after retail, restaurants, workplaces, etc. open up, and with additional delays of transmission, symptoms, testing, and outcomes, do we really have an accurate picture of how Georgia's aggressive opening will pan out?  Will another two weeks give us a better picture?  I ask this as someone who is anxious--no, desperate--to break free from this fucking holding pattern. 

I'll hang up and listen. 

I think 2 weeks is just where you'll either see it's working or another spike will occur.  

14 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

"If you were in hospice and had already been given a few weeks to live, and then you also were found to have COVID, that would be counted as a COVID death. It means technically even if you died of a clear alternate cause, but you had COVID at the same time, it's still listed as a COVID death. So, everyone who's listed as a COVID death doesn't mean that that was the cause of the death, but they had COVID at the time of the death." Dr. Ezike outlined

If that same person caught the flu and not Covid, would it be listed as a flu death or not?  Or caught a cold that turned into pneumonia and died - which way is it listed?

6 hours ago, Iceman said:

wait, so the Asians ARE or ARE NOT the ones modelling the way on controlling this?

Which narrative are we following?

Also, the reporting of infections, as if there are no other factors like age, hospitalization, and death ; is absolutely responsible journalism, right?  

Is this a joke? They actually got to go to night clubs... And now they're actually in the process of suppressing the resulting outbreak. If an out break like that occurred here, we'd have no idea because they're undoubtedly mostly young people with mild or no symptoms. All we'd see are the eventual severe cases that resulted from it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I'll hang up and listen. 

We shouldn’t go sucking each other’s dicks just yet, but It’s a good start. I’m not in Georgia so I don’t know how much people have been out, but it seems to me there should’ve been a substantial increase if it was a disaster unfolding. I don’t think it would take six weeks to show up. It’s not like we’re starting with one person seeding the community.

10 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think 2 weeks is just where you'll either see it's working or another spike will occur.  

But why two weeks?  Why do we think everyone in Georgia is now rushing out to dine in restaurants, go shopping at retail stores, go into the office, etc.?  What if there's a significant amount of Georgians who were waiting initially to see whether bodies lined the streets in the first two weeks before they changed their behavior, and now that the first two-weeks' data is out, more folks venture out, and then we see some sort of spike? 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the two-week point is a good indicator of success, but I just want better reasons to buy into that, and I'm not seeing that in the articles I've read so far. 

Edit:  Fair point that I get, @GRHorn.  But I think there could be a difference in the number of people "seeding the economy" during the first two weeks, and the number of those folks in the following two or three weeks.  Oh, and I'll let you lead the dick-sucking charge.

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

We shouldn’t go sucking each other’s dicks just yet, but It’s a good start. I’m not in Georgia so I don’t know how much people have been out, but it seems to me there should’ve been a substantial increase if it was a disaster unfolding. I don’t think it would take six weeks to show up. It’s not like we’re starting with one person seeding the community.

From driving through GA last week, the through state traffic is minimal right now. 75 is probably one of the busiest interstates in the country 24/7, and there was no traffic on Saturday including through Atlanta.

Most people with a brain are going to be ultra cautious for right now, so the two week measurement doesn’t prove anything. As that caution starts to subside or some states allow large gatherings again, it will be interesting to see what happens. Churches open back up in TN in soon which will set the direction for that state pretty quickly. They managed to get excluded from the limit to mass gatherings.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

But why two weeks?  Why do we think everyone in Georgia is now rushing out to dine in restaurants, go shopping at retail stores, go into the office, etc.?  What if there's a significant amount of Georgians who were waiting initially to see whether bodies lined the streets in the first two weeks before they changed their behavior, and now that the first two-weeks' data is out, more folks venture out, and then we see some sort of spike? 

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that the two-week point is a good indicator of success, but I just want better reasons to buy into that, and I'm not seeing that in the articles I've read so far. 

Edit:  Fair point that I get, @GRHorn.  But I think there could be a difference in the number of people "seeding the economy" during the first two weeks, and the number of those folks in the following two or three weeks.  Oh, and I'll let you lead the dick-sucking charge.

I thought 2 weeks was an accepted period of time that it would start showing up in people as they interacted with others. People that may have it, but don't show symptoms, but are infectious.

18 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Someone here in ATL posted a lot of restaurants remained closed. Don’t think people rushed out to fill up public spaces and stores. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away