Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

20 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

To get laid, like everybody else there?

ok, I scrolled through a cross section of the Sturgis live cam and can say with all sincerity I don't think I saw a single person under the age of 40 or with less than 30% body fat.  I think in my mind there should be lots of this ...

57858dc43b44729bee8e566ca5b8851623869622

but really it's nothing but this...

5f31804628ea7101d5496d4b?width=1100&form

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Ironic that the two ugliest/fattest women who probably have the best oral skills in the entire rally are the ones wrapped up in masks.  There'll be a minor, minor blip in South Dakota reporting 1-3 weeks from now.  And it'll be declared a victory for Hoaxers.  Not realizing of course these people have scattered back to the four corners of our nation where comorbidities rule the day.  My wife and I used to gleefully attend ROT Rally in Austin every year.  Having said all that, these people all deserve what's coming to them.  

To get laid, like everybody else there?

I always figured sturgis was the worst odds ever. Gotta be at least 25 dudes for every one chick and a significant majority of those girls came on the back seat of some fat dudes Harley. In other words, the sword fight to end all sword fights.

1 hour ago, orange dream said:

ok, I scrolled through a cross section of the Sturgis live cam and can say with all sincerity I don't think I saw a single person under the age of 40 or with less than 30% body fat.  I think in my mind there should be lots of this ...

57858dc43b44729bee8e566ca5b8851623869622

but really it's nothing but this...

5f31804628ea7101d5496d4b?width=1100&form

Obviously you’ve never been to ROT.  

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) was all concerned in 2011 when she went to ROT with me her first time...specifically about the bead situation.  She was all concerned that she wasn’t attractive enough to let them hang out on our bead runs and she would be embarrassed...she has great 36Cs that I am still very fond of and told her not to worry.  

When she persisted, I told her ‘babe 95% of the tits there make me question my Boob Man status, it’s all in good fun and you’ll be very popular, I promise”.  When she came back an inch shorter from all the beads hanging around her neck from flashing the 50+ weekend warriors and their inebriated wives, she finally understood...biker rallies are not magnets for young, hot women for the most part.  

Don’t openly laugh at the women letting it hang out (and past their knees), don’t touch anyone else’s bikes without permission, leave the Bandidos and their support clubs alone, and have a good time.  Thems the rules, everything else is fair game.  

3 hours ago, Homercles said:

Don’t openly laugh at the women letting it hang out (and past their knees), don’t touch anyone else’s bikes without permission, leave the Bandidos and their support clubs alone, and have a good time.  Thems the rules, everything else is fair game.  

And don't invite the Waco PD.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 11:01 PM, Dr. Beeper said:

At this point I am him. I am Rex Kramer, just as Surly has deemed South Austin’s mom to be one hell of a whore. Fuck it. I can’t wait to fly again and leave CovidSkoal droplets everywhere. 

In case there was ever any doubt after numerous denials and denials...

5739aaed249f9aa3e5dd0bbc9b6c4420.gif

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

WTF does this have to do with Covid?

Nothing at all.  It was the first denial found after a cursory search.  There's probably a better thread for it elsewhere.  I'm just too lazy to find it.

Edited by Tom

My sister in law is in nursing school and has been working on the Covid floor. We saw her briefly on Saturday night, and this morning she had a fever of 101 and a scratchy throat so she's getting a test today. I think we're probably in the clear but she just saw her parents two days ago, and they definitely have comorbidities.

If she gets her results back tomorrow and tests negative, is there any chance it could be a false negative because of lack of viral load?

If either one of her parents gets it, it's gonna be really bad.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

My sister in law is in nursing school and has been working on the Covid floor. We saw her briefly on Saturday night, and this morning she had a fever of 101 and a scratchy throat so she's getting a test today. I think we're probably in the clear but she just saw her parents two days ago, and they definitely have comorbidities.

If she gets her results back tomorrow and tests negative, is there any chance it could be a false negative because of lack of viral load?

If either one of her parents gets it, it's gonna be really bad.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

I work in the COVID ward every day. Then gonna visit the folks, who both have “comorbidities”. I feel fine right now. What could possibly go wrong?

This whole thing is like looking back in history about how stupid they were with their flat earth, inquisitions, witch trials, and staring at the sun, and realizing it’s happening in real time and we’ll be the ones being laughed at.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

more anecdotal shit but...

one of my better friend's daughter just graduated from nursing school at tech this spring (which i assume just means she signed up to graduate on a sign up sheet somewhere)...but she has been working at one of the front line hospitals in DFW most of the summer since graduating.  my friend told me that they every time they talk to her, she practically breaks down relaying the sheer volume of death and intensive care stories.  what an incredibly shitty way to start one's career in nursing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

I work in the COVID ward every day. Then gonna visit the folks, who both have “comorbidities”. I feel fine right now. What could possibly go wrong?

This whole thing is like looking back in history about how stupid they were with their flat earth, inquisitions, witch trials, and staring at the sun, and realizing it’s happening in real time and we’ll be the ones being laughed at.

Yeah, that's fucking mind blowing. Working the Covid floor and then visiting high-risk, elderly family members?

I work as an essential worker and am exposed to an "at risk" population. I haven't seen my parents since mid March.

9 minutes ago, sidis said:

more anecdotal shit but...

one of my better friend's daughter just graduated from nursing school at tech this spring (which i assume just means she signed up to graduate on a sign up sheet somewhere)...but she has been working at one of the front line hospitals in DFW most of the summer since graduating.  my friend told me that they every time they talk to her, she practically breaks down relaying the sheer volume of death and intensive care stories.  what an incredibly shitty way to start one's career in nursing.

Or a very educational one that will help her throughout her career. Sucks, but death is part of the medicine world and I felt doing hospital work early in my career helped frame my care. Hope she grows from this and becomes an amazing nurse, which I'm sure she will.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Or a very educational one that will help her throughout her career. Sucks, but death is part of the medicine world and I felt doing hospital work early in my career helped frame my care. Hope she grows from this and becomes an amazing nurse, which I'm sure she will.

hopefully so.  and while i certainly agree with you that it will be educational, it is also difficult to imagine dealing with the sheer volume based on the numbers she has relayed as the "first day" initiation. 

Georgia state government is withdrawing their lawsuit against mask orders at the city/county level.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/coronavirus-live-updates.html

Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp said in a statement that he would withdraw his lawsuit against Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and the Atlanta City Council for their mask requirements and other restrictions intended to curb the spread of the coronavirus

Anything beyond that and it gets too political for some, but she backed down a bit on closing down businesses/shelter-in-place, so he backed down on banning mayors from mask orders.

I'm guessing the sight of all of those school kids having to quarantine may have had a little impact as well.

Edited by atomheartbevo

On 8/11/2020 at 5:06 PM, Homercles said:

Obviously you’ve never been to ROT.  

My girlfriend at the time (now wife) was all concerned in 2011 when she went to ROT with me her first time...specifically about the bead situation.  She was all concerned that she wasn’t attractive enough to let them hang out on our bead runs and she would be embarrassed...she has great 36Cs that I am still very fond of and told her not to worry.  

When she persisted, I told her ‘babe 95% of the tits there make me question my Boob Man status, it’s all in good fun and you’ll be very popular, I promise”.  When she came back an inch shorter from all the beads hanging around her neck from flashing the 50+ weekend warriors and their inebriated wives, she finally understood...biker rallies are not magnets for young, hot women for the most part.  

On 8/11/2020 at 1:35 PM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Why? So we’d die?

Of course not, definitelynotHollywoodcolt wouldn't wish death on anyone. That would make him a complete, and utter fucking POGS  (piece of goat shit).  Of course he's not an utter, and complete POGS...... Right ??   Riiiiight ??!

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

...but...

That second chart/post demonstrates something that has been laid bare by this crisis -- our employment economy is dangerously unbalanced.  A huge percentage of Americans work really shit-wage jobs.  We'd be much better off if we perhaps didn't have as much of our pay going to the top few percent, and had a more robust middle class.  

This circumstance has been like the tide going way out -- we get to see what the underlying structure really looks like.  And we have some serious structural challenges -- a large percentage of our fellow citizens are trapped in shitty economic situations, without any reasonably likely path out.  And I've used this term before (purposefully harsh, to grab attention), but our challenge for the future has to be "what are we going to do with our morons?"  Again, a harsh and broad brush term, but understand that as a matter of mathematical truth, 50% of our population is below the median IQ of 100.  They aren't going to be doctors, or hedge fund managers.  But for much of our history, they could be farmers or ag workers.  And then, they could be auto workers and such.

Someone who was an ag worker in 1880, or an auto worker in 1955.....what are they doing today?  The answer right now is that they are working shit jobs, making shit money, barely getting by.  And when a crisis like this hits, there's no cushion, no safety net.

And watching our neighbors suffer physically (I have a lot of friends in local healthcare, and their lives right now....are hard), and then suffer financially....that as much as anything else in this situation has caused me despair.  I hope like hell that in the next few years, we work on ways to make sure that we don't suffer like this again.  But I ain't wasting a lot of time on such hope.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That second chart/post demonstrates something that has been laid bare by this crisis -- our employment economy is dangerously unbalanced.  A huge percentage of Americans work really shit-wage jobs.  We'd be much better off if we perhaps didn't have as much of our pay going to the top few percent, and had a more robust middle class.  

This circumstance has been like the tide going way out -- we get to see what the underlying structure really looks like.  And we have some serious structural challenges -- a large percentage of our fellow citizens are trapped in shitty economic situations, without any reasonably likely path out.  And I've used this term before (purposefully harsh, to grab attention), but our challenge for the future has to be "what are we going to do with our morons?"  Again, a harsh and broad brush term, but understand that as a matter of mathematical truth, 50% of our population is below the median IQ of 100.  They aren't going to be doctors, or hedge fund managers.  But for much of our history, they could be farmers or ag workers.  And then, they could be auto workers and such.

Someone who was an ag worker in 1880, or an auto worker in 1955.....what are they doing today?  The answer right now is that they are working shit jobs, making shit money, barely getting by.  And when a crisis like this hits, there's no cushion, no safety net.

And watching our neighbors suffer physically (I have a lot of friends in local healthcare, and their lives right now....are hard), and then suffer financially....that as much as anything else in this situation has caused me despair.  I hope like hell that in the next few years, we work on ways to make sure that we don't suffer like this again.  But I ain't wasting a lot of time on such hope.

Yeah, I think you may have a point.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/16/ceos-see-pay-grow-1000percent-and-now-make-278-times-the-average-worker.html

• Like 1

I found this to be an interesting read.

The coronavirus is at least as deadly as the 1918 flu pandemic and the death toll could even be worse if world leaders and public health officials fail to adequately contain it, researchers warned in a study published Thursday in the medical journal JAMA Network Open.

"What we want people to know is that this has 1918 potential," lead author Dr. Jeremy Faust said in an interview, adding that the outbreak in New York was at least 70% as bad as the one in 1918 when doctors didn't have ventilators or other advances to help save lives like they do today. "This is not something to just shrug off like the flu."

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/08/13/scientists-say-the-coronavirus-is-at-least-as-deadly-as-the-1918-flu-pandemic.html

^
that's CR bullshit.  Don't tell me we can't "just shrug off like the flu."  Top people are saying we lose more to the flu than we lose to Covid-19.  Anything else is you making this political.

20 hours ago, sidis said:

hopefully so.  and while i certainly agree with you that it will be educational, it is also difficult to imagine dealing with the sheer volume based on the numbers she has relayed as the "first day" initiation. 

It’s kind of like starting a financial planning career in 2007.   Not easy, not fun, but has helped provide several lifetimes of perspective.  

14 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

UT published a paper saying what we all figured - that early on, in Washington, plenty of flu cases were actually covid.  But it's a lot of scientific stuff, so I'll leave it to the 49% of Surly who are doctors to read

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/eclinm/article/PIIS2589-5370(20)30223-6/fulltext

How can 49 percent of Surly be doctors when 90 percent of Surly is lawyers?

I can't tell if this is intended to be take as good news or bad. Three months?!?

If you recover from the virus, you’re protected for up to three months, the C.D.C. says.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated their guidance recently to suggest that people who have recovered from the virus can safely mingle with others for three months.

It was a remarkable addition to the body of guidance from the agency, and the first acknowledgment that immunity to the virus may persist for at least three months.

In June, a study found that antibody levels could wane over a course of two to three months in people with confirmed infections who experienced mild symptoms or no symptoms. They drop off, but they may still be present at low levels, including below the limit of detection.

The latest C.D.C. guidance — which was tucked into public recommendations about who needs to quarantine — goes a bit further.

“People who have tested positive for Covid-19 do not need to quarantine or get tested again for up to three months as long as they do not develop symptoms again,” the guidance says. “People who develop symptoms again within three months of their first bout of Covid-19 may need to be tested again if there is no other cause identified for their symptoms.”

Other coronaviruses, including those that cause SARS and MERS, have antibodies that scientists believe last about a year. In the early days of the virus’s spread in the United States, scientists had hoped antibodies to the new virus would last at least that long.

A study published in May found that people who recovered from the infection could return to work safely, but it was still unclear how long they might be protected.

Doctors have reported some cases of people who seemed to be infected a second time after recovery, but experts have said those are more likely to represent a re-emergence of symptoms from the initial bout.

if the news is that antibodies only last 3 months that's horrible news.  if the news is that per the data you're covered for at least 3 months but it's only that short because reliable data doesn't go back further then that, then that's probably neutral news. 

4 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Of course not, definitelynotHollywoodcolt wouldn't wish death on anyone. That would make him a complete, and utter fucking POGS  (piece of goat shit).  Of course he's not an utter, and complete POGS...... Right ??   Riiiiight ??!

one thing i can promise you is that i would never suggest you take drugs proven to have no impact on covid treatment while having potentially life-threatening side effects, nor would i suggest you drink bleach or shoot very high-powered light into your body.

right?? RIGHT???

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Which seems to tell us that it came from someone who brought it in, without being subject to the hotel quarantine process.  Slipped one past the goalie, so to speak....probably?

Didnt they have concerns about it coming in through shipping cargo?  Maybe something refrigerated was able to keep it alive longer?  

It can be both. I don't think it's fair to underestimate the psychological impact of walking into a generational crisis right out of school.

2 hours ago, TXSG8R said:

Didnt they have concerns about it coming in through shipping cargo?  Maybe something refrigerated was able to keep it alive longer?  

During the Oval Address way back in March Trump did say we were banning cargo... and then it was walked back or revised. 

Makes me wonder. (where is my tinfoil hat?)

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away