idigTexas

Coronavirus Impact on Travel

1 hour ago, justhookit said:

Where did you see that? I mean yeah, if you’ve got a Canadian or European passport, a negative test within 48hours of arrival, and can get on what they estimate to be 5 flights a week starting Aug1. 

They also just had their highest daily case total yesterday. CR as we know it isn’t happening till next year.

;Yeah, sounds like a big problem with Nicaraguans coming across the border for medical care.

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

;Yeah, sounds like a big problem with Nicaraguans coming across the border for medical care.

That’s not their only problem. If you do the math they have way, way more cases than what they are reporting. They re-opened at the same time as Texas and have a curve that looks exactly like ours. Their positivity test rate is nuts.

B1FDBFFB-E5D7-438A-9EE1-B428C9F29DD3.png

AAF4C502-B517-4AA4-BC70-E6F8C03C4F15.png

Well I finally gave up on my Oct SE Asia trip.  Simply too many barriers and no way are they letting Americans into any of my planned places.   I had cancel date on a hotel in early August so I just pulled the cord on all of it. 

AA gave me my flight points back instantly with no fee. 

Delta gave me an ecredit for the entire amount including seat upgrades.

Chase has already put back my hotel points from Ha Noi.

AMEX in process for Luang Prabang hotel.

Agoda canceled Vientiane hotel.

The only thing I am waiting on is Vietnam Air who canceled my flight from Ha Noi to Luang Prabang almost two months ago and is telling me 4 months for a credit.   What bullshit.

4 hours ago, midtown said:

The only thing I am waiting on is Vietnam Air who canceled my flight from Ha Noi to Luang Prabang almost two months ago and is telling me 4 months for a credit.   What bullshit.

Must be trying to sit on it for the interest as long as possible. 

Managed to get my money back for our Tame flights from Ecuador to the Galapagos.  I think they must have folded.  Didn't respond to any emails, so I had to file a claim with Visa.

On 7/29/2020 at 6:29 AM, thunderlounge said:

Must be trying to sit on it for the interest as long as possible. 

It's likely a simpler answer. Airlines just don't have enough cash on hand to give refunds.

Sad day in the MO Horn household. I've been holding out canceling our Italy trip in September, hoping for a miracle. Finally relented and canceled the flights today. American was great. It took less than a minute to get our miles reinstated and money back on our credit card. I've e-mailed all our accommodations and one tour we booked asking about our options. I'm guessing we'll get vouchers for future visits. 

Just got back from a road trip to Telluride.  I would say 98% mask usage, even on trails.  People are taking it seriously in Colorado.  It's nice to see.

Just got back from a road trip to Telluride.  I would say 98% mask usage, even on trails.  People are taking it seriously in Colorado.  It's nice to see.

Telluride is great. Probably our second favorite place on Earth and we almost went there last month when we thought our St. Barth trip would be nixed. We’ve had 2 different sets of friends who went in June and said it was fine during Covid.

saw an article where Americans are using a loophole (saying they are driving to Alaska) to get past the mounties at the Canadian border.   I guess Canada cannot legally stop that.  kinda genius, mostly asshole. 

24 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

saw an article where Americans are using a loophole (saying they are driving to Alaska) to get past the mounties at the Canadian border.   I guess Canada cannot legally stop that.  kinda genius, mostly asshole. 

A bunch of them are getting busted, though.  And making it harder on the Americans trying to head there who do have a legal right to be there.

I never imagined we'd be such an unwelcome pariah nation.  Sigh.

27 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bet several nations and/or groups are taking a look at our response and updating contingency plans for a biological attack on us

we could have the cure sitting available at every CVS in the nation and it would just take a facebook post to dissuade some people not to take it.