Jump to content
texifornia

Denzel Okafor is in the transfer portal

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly we mismanaged the poor kid's career so badly I don't blame him

 

Hope Okafor stays, but he was given every chance to show his stuff. This definitely sucks for OL depth and accelerates Christian Jones' timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, futureman said:

tyler johnson!

Would love to see him step up and deliver...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Honestly we mismanaged the poor kid's career so badly I don't blame him
 


Why do you say that? He was given an enormous number of opportunities to play at tackle and guard and could never consistently hold down a starting position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

 


Why do you say that? He was given an enormous number of opportunities to play at tackle and guard and could never consistently hold down a starting position.

 

I mean upfront really - he was thrown in so much earlier than necessary when he was definitely not ready. At this point it's kind of moot.

Edited by texifornia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Why transfer now, when he was in line to get much more PT than in the past?

Maybe that isn't as clear to him as it was to those penciling in him as a starter in 2020?  To me it seemed like the pass pro wasn't the same when he was in there.  He was pretty strong run blocking at times.  Would have been key depth for sure though.  

I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Why do you say that? He was given an enormous number of opportunities to play at tackle and guard and could never consistently hold down a starting position.

 

1. He needed a redshirt season in 2016 and didn't get one.

2. The staff insisted on playing him at tackle and Kerstetter at guard instead of the other way around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

What is Tope Imade talking about?

He was replying to a tweet that essentially said "good riddance, he wasn't very good".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, satyanash said:

He was replying to a tweet that essentially said "good riddance, he wasn't very good".

That much I knew. But apparently Tope was watching a different Denzel Okafor than we have the past season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Why transfer now, when he was in line to get much more PT than in the past?

Maybe he thinks he's a tackle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, satyanash said:

1. He needed a redshirt season in 2016 and didn't get one.

2. The staff insisted on playing him at tackle and Kerstetter at guard instead of the other way around.

how did Okafor grade when he was in there last year?  should be easy enough to tell if the grades are public, ol game grades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

O-Line and particularly O-line depth had been nearly a decade old issue for us.  Sometimes you need to focus on what you have. The bottom line is without an offensive line with quality two deep you aren't gonna win any championships.

Shit, I like the shit out of Tom Herman, but goddamn it, keep the kids in the fold, in the fucking fold!!!!  Otherwise we start making the what was a bigger win, Notre Dame under Charlie, or Georgia under Tom comparison?

If you want to win championships the nearly universal key component is quality two deep on both sides of the line.  Then all the "skill" players look amazing!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we are so thin on Oline that even a just OK lineman is still useful to the team to at least give the main starters a 2 or 3 play break, or playing the last 5 mins of garbage time.

even if hes not the best it still hurts if he leaves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tyler Johnson was most likely going to pass him up.  Winter reports were that Willie Tyler has made lots of progress reshaping his body and Hookfin has added the proper weight.  Okafor couldn’t beat a RS freshman in Angilau.  I don’t blame him for leaving but people are right, the coaches gave him every opportunity to start and he got abused time after time.  If you’ve got a RS freshman and a Senior battling out a guard spot, you go with Tyler Johnson.

 

Cosmi- Angilau- Kerstetter- Johnson- Jones

Hookfin- Imade- Ghirmai- Moore- Willie T.

Team still has very solid depth.  Would have been nice to have Okafor with his experience as depth but we also have 4 freshman OL coming in.  No one in that 2 deep is a true freshman.  When was the last time we could say that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, horn4life said:

Otherwise we start making the what was a bigger win, Notre Dame under Charlie, or Georgia under Tom comparison?

Um. What?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

we are so thin on Oline that even a just OK lineman is still useful to the team to at least give the main starters a 2 or 3 play break, or playing the last 5 mins of garbage time.

even if hes not the best it still hurts if he leaves. 

We're honestly not that thin anymore. He was projected to start at G because of his years of service, but the guys behind him should be almost identical in a practical sense (or better, come on Christian Jones).

Edited by texifornia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, horn4life said:

O-Line and particularly O-line depth had been nearly a decade old issue for us.  Sometimes you need to focus on what you have. The bottom line is without an offensive line with quality two deep you aren't gonna win any championships.

Shit, I like the shit out of Tom Herman, but goddamn it, keep the kids in the fold, in the fucking fold!!!!  Otherwise we start making the what was a bigger win, Notre Dame under Charlie, or Georgia under Tom comparison?

If you want to win championships the nearly universal key component is quality two deep on both sides of the line.  Then all the "skill" players look amazing!!!

This has to be a LTTxfan sock, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

A center transfer with two years of eligibility would be a godsend. 

A RS Soph. Branson Bragg would have looked real good in the program right now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

A RS Soph. Branson Bragg would have looked real good in the program right now.  

Take that up with Mama Bragg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

That much I knew. But apparently Tope was watching a different Denzel Okafor than we have the past season.

What do you expect Tope to say publicly about a teammate and most likely a good friend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always assume that - in cases like these - there's writing on the wall.  Surely the dude isn't walking with a chance to start for a Top 30 Division One team, yes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BornOrange said:

What do you expect Tope to say publicly about a teammate and most likely a good friend?

It was on social media, so commenting is optional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

while i agree with your sentiment, it appears that social media posts from current players are reviewed, approved, and even possibly written by someone else.  Someone like Derek Ochoa or whoever is in responsible for social media communications.  Ya know, to prevent the Kris Boyds from posting on twitter at half-time or during the game.

if Charlie Strong had one thing correct, it was that social media would be the downfall of society or some extent.  I'm sure my translation is hyperbole or his statement was, but the point I'm attempting to make is that social media posts from current players are most likely guided by others.  in the case of Tope, a senior vet, rules may not apply if he DGAF and is out within a year,.  Also, if i were Tope, I might be a bit upset with my current role on the team.

Edited by Hmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hmmm said:

if Charlie Strong had one thing correct, it was that social media would be the downfall of society or some extent.  

I'd be shocked if he were correct about anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, satyanash said:

He was replying to a tweet that essentially said "good riddance, he wasn't very good".

well, Okafor's used to someone having to have his back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, satyanash said:

1. He needed a redshirt season in 2016 and didn't get one.

2. The staff insisted on playing him at tackle and Kerstetter at guard instead of the other way around.

While #1 is true, he did get a redshirt year in 2018 thanks to the 4-game rule. I don't see much difference in when exactly he got the extra year of development. An extra year of strength and conditioning and coaching is an extra year, no matter when it is taken.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mitch Cumsteen said:

While #1 is true, he did get a redshirt year in 2018 thanks to the 4-game rule. I don't see much difference in when exactly he got the extra year of development is relevant. An extra year of strength and conditioning and coaching is an extra year, no matter when it is taken.

This is a little devil's advocate because I generally agree with you, but there is something to playing someone too early and essentially ruining them.  Beyond physical development there is a mental development to redshirting as well.  I would say that doing that early serves a much better purpose than doing it late.  None of us can judge if that was the case here because we aren't close enough to the situation, but it's a plausible theory at least.  Not that playing too early takes you from future all American to total scrub, but those guys that are just balancing the line of contributor and wash out it could mean something.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

This is a little devil's advocate because I generally agree with you, but there is something to playing someone too early and essentially ruining them.  Beyond physical development there is a mental development to redshirting as well.  I would say that doing that early serves a much better purpose than doing it late.  None of us can judge if that was the case here because we aren't close enough to the situation, but it's a plausible theory at least.  Not that playing too early takes you from future all American to total scrub, but those guys that are just balancing the line of contributor and wash out it could mean something.  

Fair enough. I don't disagree. By the same token, maybe a little baptism by fire accelerates the development curve too? Who knows?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Um. What?

Took me a few reads.  He's saying if Herman doesn't get his shit together and gets the boot, we'll discuss which loser had the bigger fraud "big game" win.  I think.

Edited by Herpa Derpa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sucks from a depth perspective, but man, that guy seemed to get a ton of cracks at separation and just couldn't do it.  I get the redshirt timing argument, etc., but at some point I think he finally saw that he'd have a better chance elsewhere.  Good luck to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really strange timing, but best of luck to him. Never want to lose a fifth year senior OL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/25/2020 at 8:44 PM, Burt Macklin said:

This has to be a LTTxfan sock, right?

Not sure who LTtxfan is, I would have to be SortaWestwoodFAN for my kids - but if he or anyone else has been watching the last decade and does NOT think O-line depth has not been an issue?  Well... I really don't know what to say to such an observer?  Except you don't know fucking football. Our greatest lineman in the last 20 YEARS was a last second pickup from Baylor due to Rape U, in Conner Williams.  We have not had a lineman other than Williams drafted since...2008.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Texas_Longhorns_in_the_NFL_draft

I guess I was wrong though... I should have said offensive line depth has been and issue for nearly two decades.  You sure as shit don't want to lose kids you have fed and trained for years when you need depth at the position.  I also know that coaches love the shiny object of the skill players and the work horses don't always get the attention they need. 

On 3/26/2020 at 12:40 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

Took me a few reads.  He's saying if Herman doesn't get his shit together and gets the boot, we'll discuss which loser had the bigger fraud "big game" win.  I think.

Yep.  I actually really like the way Herman has worked the High school coaches, in similar to the way Mack Brown did. But unfortunately right now Herman "needs to separate" and show us he's not Charlie Strong who inherited a better roster?  This is the year to do it, and Okafor is a piece of the puzzle I personally would have preferred to keep available.

Teams that win championships consistently nearly always have solid OL depth.  I think Nebraska in its heyday and Alabama most recently represent the goal. Interestingly Nebraska build their depth nearly universally not with the 5 star talent, but with 4th and 5th years seniors who were willing to wait to play.  Bama has done it with a shark's teeth approach of 5 stars.  Again I like Herman, but you work so hard to get the kids to commit, it's always disappointing to see a kid leave.  Having a kid leave from a position of definite depth need is simply never, ever a good thing.

Edited by horn4life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 5:42 PM, texifornia said:

Honestly we mismanaged the poor kid's career so badly I don't blame him

 

Off sides, offense. Number 78. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, horn4life said:

Our greatest lineman in the last 20 YEARS was a last second pickup from Baylor due to Rape U, in Conner Williams. 

What the hell?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, horn4life said:

Not sure who LTtxfan is

 

 

giphy.gif

 

 

Edited by LTtxfan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...