College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

12 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean you pointed out the one game I was referencing and then a bunch of subsequent Ls. True until proven otherwise. 

It already has been proven otherwise. From 2001 to 2006 in the BCS national title game only three SEC and ACC teams played in the national title out of 12 teams. Should we have just stopped inviting them? Because the SEC and ACC won the next 7 titles. 

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It already has been proven otherwise. From 2001 to 2006 in the BCS national title game only three SEC and ACC teams played in the national title out of 12 teams. Should we have just stopped inviting them? Because the SEC and ACC won the next 7 titles. 

It literally hasnt in the CFP era. Which is what he was referencing. Until other leagues show up in the playoff it is still a trend and therefore makes the comment legitimate. Obviously that should not have any bearing on who is invited, which nobody has suggested. 

40 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It wasn't for discussing the President's position or how you're for or against it.  It was for saying something like "Orange Man" which will just stir up the trolls on both sides.  Go to the cloak room for that bullshit

He can't.  He self banned from the CR because he has no self control. 

6 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yes, I mentioned that. Then the next 5 years happened. 

Yes. And my point is that that trend could reverse overnight. Say Bama gets hit with a bunch of violations, Saban retires, Dabo has a couple off seasons and goes to the NFL, Texas starts winning again, USC starts winning again...

Not that any of that is likely but it's certainly possible.

35 minutes ago, Royalfan5 said:

Can't say I'm shocked by this giving the virus spread in Iowa currently. Also, I really wonder what the reception will be of lifeless games will be once the initial novelty wears off, granted it won't be much different for some teams. 

I was surprised that we were going to allow 25K fans.

Nothing has changed with COVID since Monday.  It was bad then, and it's bad now.  I do think it makes us look kind of like the Big 10 to reverse course.  Anyone with a pulse knew that they were going to get a ton of flak for allowing 25K into the game given Iowa's COVID situation.  So if public backlash was going to make you take a different stance, why even trot that out?  

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I was surprised that we were going to allow 25K fans.

Nothing has changed with COVID since Monday.  It was bad then, and it's bad now.  I do think it makes us look kind of like the Big 10 to reverse course.  Anyone with a pulse knew that they were going to get a ton of flak for allowing 25K into the game given Iowa's COVID situation.  So if public backlash was going to make you take a different stance, why even trot that out?  

I think there are still too many people that think we are going to wake up one day and things are suddenly going to be resolved, and toss out wishful thinking approaches that crumble under stress instead of trying to sort out a process to move forward. I'm sure ISU won't be the last to bail on fans either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Royalfan5 said:

I think there are still too many people that think we are going to wake up one day and things are suddenly going to be resolved, and toss out wishful thinking approaches that crumble under stress instead of trying to sort out a process to move forward. I'm sure ISU won't be the last to bail on fans either. 

I figured we would go no fans from the start.

The only thing that changed between now and Monday was the decision makers having to face the actual criticism for said decision.  They should have known they were going to be criticized.  And act accordingly with that knowledge.

• Hook 'Em 2

It wasn't for discussing the President's position or how you're for or against it.  It was for saying something like "Orange Man" which will just stir up the trolls on both sides.  Go to the cloak room for that bullshit

However you feel about it the president getting involved made it political. Don’t be such a fucking bitch.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I figured we would go no fans from the start.

The only thing that changed between now and Monday was the decision makers having to face the actual criticism for said decision.  They should have known they were going to be criticized.  And act accordingly with that knowledge.

They collected whatever ticket money they could, and will refund it as slowly as possible. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

He can't.  He self banned from the CR because he has no self control. 

Excuse me.  I self-quarantine from CR and have since 2008, precisely because I possess self-control.

I gave jesussweatsdicks 3 pos reps.  See, every time he negs me, i collect 4 positives on average.  And i'm Chaotic Neutral by alignment, so....

orangeman?

orangeman?

orangeman?

3 orangemans!

• Like 1

Please stop, both of you. It’s one thing to acknowledge that POTUS inserted himself into the discussion and debate whether the decisions are politically driven. It’s quite another thing to bring your lame CR name-calling and paranoia in here. Go back to the CR with that crap. 

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

However you feel about it the president getting involved made it political. Don’t be such a fucking bitch.

100% of those with cognitive dissonance over the use of a nickname for the potus who shall not be named believe the moon is gouda (..... and for those in that camp, who likely don't know differently, that's pronounced "howda" not "goo-dah")....

1 minute ago, nnm said:

Please stop, both of you. It’s one thing to acknowledge that POTUS inserted himself into the discussion and debate whether the decisions are politically driven. It’s quite another thing to bring your lame CR name-calling and paranoia in here. Go back to the CR with that crap. 

we just covered this.  i don't do CR.  and there seems to be confusion around what is "name calling" and one's use of one's own chosen designator for the potus who shall not be named, said latter action is inherently not political because there are no use of adjectives or adverbs attached to the noun.  one's own projection of belief on said noun is one's own problem and in the rules of english grammar does not make the sentence in which the designator is used a declarative sentence of a political nature.

3 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

we just covered this.  i don't do CR.  and there seems to be confusion around what is "name calling" and one's use of one's own chosen designator for the potus who shall not be named, said latter action is inherently not political because there are no use of adjectives or adverbs attached to the noun.  one's own projection of belief on said noun is one's own problem and in the rules of english grammar does not make the sentence in which the designator is used a declarative sentence of a political nature.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Royalfan5 said:

Can't say I'm shocked by this giving the virus spread in Iowa currently. Also, I really wonder what the reception will be of lifeless games will be once the initial novelty wears off, granted it won't be much different for some teams. 

Every game for U Miami will feel like a home game.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

Are the cardboard cutouts they're selling going to be scattered among the actual fans in attendance? I might like to check out a game but watching it surrounded by soulless, lifeless cardboard cutouts of other fans sounds like something from a GD horror movie.

Oh so you don't want the club seat experience?

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, touchthemonolith said:

Are the cardboard cutouts they're selling going to be scattered among the actual fans in attendance? I might like to check out a game but watching it surrounded by soulless, lifeless cardboard cutouts of other fans sounds like something from a GD horror movie.

Actually sounds pretty damn sweet, until I get rip shit drunk and fight a cardboard cutout

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Oh so you don't want the club seat experience?

I actually sat in club seating exactly once in my life years and years ago when my old boss hooked up some tickets. I got fucking plastered, ate about a pound of ham, and got a picture with a very annoyed-looking Vince Young.

8/10 would recommend.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm pissed at the prospect of the Big 10 playing.

It's just pure selfishness though.  If they sit while the Big 12 plays, and ISU has a good season, it will change the dynamic in this state over night.

The egoism was the assumption that the lesser schools would fall in line like penguins.

I dunno about IA.  There is no real chance that Pittsburgh U would capture the hearts of PSU drones.  But the reality that Pitt is getting all of the game reviews on local media will drive the Lions crazy anyway. 

1 hour ago, touchthemonolith said:

Good question... also, will they allow fans in with Sharpies?

2 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

They really need to punch up the production value on the TV. They need to do all tight shots of the field that doesn't show the empty stands, and they need to pump in crowd music like on a video game, so you can watch it and hear big cheering for home team, groans for the road team. If they do that people will be able to trick their mind into thinking all is normal. If they have just dead silence for the whole game, after big plays or non big plays its going to be a problem

They can get it right if they want to I'm sure. I mean we see it for video games so why can't we do the same for tv purposes?

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

They really need to punch up the production value on the TV. They need to do all tight shots of the field that doesn't show the empty stands, and they need to pump in crowd music like on a video game, so you can watch it and hear big cheering for home team, groans for the road team. If they do that people will be able to trick their mind into thinking all is normal. If they have just dead silence for the whole game, after big plays or non big plays its going to be a problem

They can get it right if they want to I'm sure. I mean we see it for video games so why can't we do the same for tv purposes?

They do it for baseball.  down to the home crowd (sorta) booing a pitcher for an attempted pick off move.

Just now, gyroprotagonist said:

They do it for baseball.  down to the home crowd (sorta) booing a pitcher for an attempted pick off move.

Yep. It’s jarring in baseball every time the camera tracks a foul ball, but there shouldn’t ever be a need to show an empty stadium in football. Hope they do it that way. 

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yep. It’s jarring in baseball every time the camera tracks a foul ball, but there shouldn’t ever be a need to show an empty stadium in football. Hope they do it that way. 

it's kindof funny to see it smack a cardboard person in the face, though.  you can pretend it's a real person on their phone not watching the game and paying the price.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Let's see... what pron starlet photo shall I submit? Kind of into the milf thing so...

Julia Ann?

The classic, vintage look of Helen Duval?

Vittoria Risi?

Decisions, decisions.

9 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

Fans in the stands will be next.  At least for the beginning of the season.

They gonna try and stop me from sitting on my own tailgate and drinking a beer before the game?  

Come and Take It.

Just kidding.  They probably will stop me from doing that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, utee94 said:

They gonna try and stop me from sitting on my own tailgate and drinking a beer before the game?  

Come and Take It.

Just kidding.  They probably will stop me from doing that.

Nah, sitting on the tailgate of your truck having a beer and a sammich with family should not be problem unless it is. Then close your tailgate, chug another beer and be happy that we are going 10-0.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

12 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I'm pissed at the prospect of the Big 10 playing.

It's just pure selfishness though.  If they sit while the Big 12 plays, and ISU has a good season, it will change the dynamic in this state over night.

I found a funny tweet on that:

3 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

The egoism was the assumption that the lesser schools would fall in line like penguins.

I dunno about IA.  There is no real chance that Pittsburgh U would capture the hearts of PSU drones.  But the reality that Pitt is getting all of the game reviews on local media will drive the Lions crazy anyway. 

The Iowa/ISU split is nothing like Pitt/PSU.  I get the impression Pitt is in third place to PSU and WVU in their own metro.