Denis Villeneuve's Dune

Michael Knight

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 1:51 PM, DFWTexEx said:

Virtually everyone I know complained that there were so many lines uttered that were inaudible.  I agreed that it was one of the worst jobs of sound mixing I have ever heard. I saw it at the theater with high quality sound and then again at home.  Not better in either case.  The august style of the film overwhelmed the dialogue.  But, it still won Best Sound; so what do I know?

Finally watched it last night. I had to crank up the volume to catch some lines that I figured were pretty important, such as the Atreides' doctor who conspired with the Baron to kill Leto and his family. I finally gave up in the final hour and turned on the subtitles.

I dug the movie though.

11 hours ago, C-Man said:

Finally watched it last night. I had to crank up the volume to catch some lines that I figured were pretty important, such as the Atreides' doctor who conspired with the Baron to kill Leto and his family. I finally gave up in the final hour and turned on the subtitles.

I dug the movie though.

exact same with Tenet and some of the recent Nolan movies

11 hours ago, 52-80 said:

exact same with Tenet and some of the recent Nolan movies

watching movies with subtitles is the only way to watch movies. 

although watching tenet with subtitles made it infinitely worst. it was better when you didn't have a fucking clue what was going on. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, crash_davis said:

watching movies with subtitles is the only way to watch movies. 

Especially when the subtitles are in a random foreign language. And are recorded into the video because you are watching some random pirated copy, so you can't turn them off.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/18/2022 at 10:13 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Fell asleep during the show.  Re-watch is not on the bucket list. 

Rewatched since wife got the disc via netflix.  ("You still do that?")

Liked it a lot more.  Keep putting my self in the place of the son, and got very uncomfortable with how close mom got to me throughout the flick. 

FASHION_RebeccaFerguson_04_1021-480x0-c-

I go: Mom just give me a Pepsi, please
All I want is a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
Just a Pepsi

Rewatched since wife got the disc via netflix.  ("You still do that?")
Liked it a lot more.  Keep putting my self in the place of the son, and got very uncomfortable with how close mom got to me throughout the flick. 
FASHION_RebeccaFerguson_04_1021-480x0-c-default.jpg
I go: Mom just give me a Pepsi, please
All I want is a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me
Just a Pepsi

She is otherworldly hot in the Ewen McGregor Shining sequel.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 11:37 PM, Superhero said:

Rebecca Ferguson is pure smoke. She doesn’t check many of my boxes (thin, dark hair, olive skin type). But something about her just makes me stop. She was also incredibly hot in The Greatest Showman. 

She reminds me of Jennifer Connelly and Diane Lane. All are just elegantly beautiful but with a hint of mom next door. All are as beautiful without makeup as with makeup.

Top 3. 

1. Jennifer Connelly

2. Diane Lane

3. Rebecca Ferguson

I love beautiful brunettes.

• Hook 'Em 1

Rebecca Ferguson is pure smoke. She doesn’t check many of my boxes (thin, dark hair, olive skin type). But something about her just makes me stop. She was also incredibly hot in The Greatest Showman. 

Concur completely on all points. Not my typical type but for whatever reason she’s stupid hot.

I don't know if I could be a bigger fan of Hans Zimmer.  Chevaliers de Sangreal is easily one of my favorite musical compositions of all time.

This video is great.  As much as any other element, his score created the atmosphere for this film, and it would have been an entirely different film with a more traditional symphonic score that he refers to in other sci-fi films.  Short vid and worth the watch.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

Just got around to this. I thought it was good, not great. Obviously want to see pt. 2. 

A lot of really dark shit happened in a hurry and then the rest of the film was fairly tame. I know that they're handcuffed by the source material to some extent but it seemed like they could have spaced some stuff out a bit better. 

Zendaya doesn't move the needle for me at all. I don't understand that phenomenon.

Thought Chalamet did a fine job but not his best work. 

I've never read the book or anything so I'm just commenting as a viewer. I have seen the "original". 

Another note - I kind of wish they explored the macro-world a bit more. I feel like the motivations, ideologies and histories of the different peoples weren't addressed all that much (outside of the Fremen). Would have happily viewed a 3 hr movie instead of a 2.5 hr one to get some more backstory or flesh things out a bit more. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...