preference on Daily Texan moderation

Daily Texan Moderation  

293 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer the moderation of the daily texan to be

• Like it is now with the moderators trying to keep political talk out
    • allow political talk

I appreciate the effort but without clearly defining what “political talk” is, this poll isn’t exactly informative.  

Brisket’s thread on reforming police is by definition a political discussion because it takes political will to accomplish any kind of meaningful reform in almost every aspect of society.  Discussions on anything to do with the powers of the state are highly political. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The issue isn't politics or not politics. The issue is that people can't handle a viewpoint that isn't in 100% alignment with their own, and if they disagree they shout CR and look for any possible reason to ad-hominem ignore the argument/poster.

This poll is a bad poll. You'll get the result you want thanks to framing it as such, but its your board to run the way you see fit.

It’s not that simple that posters can’t handle your views or don’t want to see a view point that is not their own.

It’s seeing thread after thread hijacked in the same way over and over. If your argument is being ignored perhaps the heavy handed way you go about it is the reason.

If you are being put on ignore as a poster you’d have to ask the ones who put you on ignore.

If people choose not to respond to your argument that’s their right. You have the right to make your argument.

If it gets moved elsewhere that’s not censorship. 
I still do not see what the issue is here. 

I knew someone would complain about the wording of the poll, and I knew which way they were going to vote

examples of current events I consider ok:

• Protesters were moved out of the way for the president to move
  • The president had a photo op at the church

actual examples of political talk from last night discussing the same event:

• Why do y’all argue with that meth headed fascist?
  • You are a dumbass
  • Bro do you even orange man bad?
  • List the virtues of Jesus Christ’s teachings that Donald Trump embodies....
  • Yeah says the party of civil war cosplayers when they can’t get their hair cut 
  • Yeah, says the party of actually burning shit down.
  • Says the party that embraces white supremacists and turn a blind eye to their instigation 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, blacklab said:

I knew someone would complain about the wording of the poll, and I knew which way they were going to vote

• You are a dumbass
  • Yeah says the party of civil war cosplayers when they can’t get their hair cut 
  • Says the party that embraces white supremacists and turn a blind eye to their instigation 

So lets say those were the two OPs.  How do you post anything at all about them without it being political.  Those 2 things happened. Ok, done. Any responses to them after that are necessarily political.  May as well just have a news posting board with no comments allowed. You could call it the Drudge Report. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

Do you enjoy reading shit like this?

• You are a dumbass
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, blacklab said:

• You are a dumbass

I really think the problem is people that have a post % north of 50 in CR.  The only times they come out of CR is to drive-by-post in DT on a topic that already has a thread in CR.  Sometimes they are subtle about it, often times though it breaks down and they are not.  I'll use Hugo as an example.  As far as I can tell, his first post was CR.  Random checking of other pages in his post history shows almost exclusively CR until the Covid thread.  WTF?  People like that are the equivalent of the shitbirds that use the peaceful protests as a cover to incite rioting.  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, blacklab said:

• You are a dumbass

I don't not enjoy it. I mean the 1st one happens regardless of where he posts.

Edited by Michael Knight
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

And if the poo flinging weren't enough, the cloak roomers whine all the fucking time. Too many of them feel like what they believe, what they have to say is SO important, that it MUST BE SEEN AND READ by all of Surly.

This.  They are just like aggy and their fucking wooping.  They just can't get through their heads that there are places where wooping is not appropriate or welcome.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, blacklab said:

• You are a dumbass

lWnReg.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, blacklab said:

• You are a dumbass

its your board.  do whatever the fuck you want.  there is an ignore feature, neg feature(which I think is kinda stupid but have used it a few times), or people can stop being pussies.  or god forbid quit posting.

I can't even imagine running to a moderator to whine about something on an internet board.

38 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Everything would be better if people used the ignore feature a lot more often.

And even better than that, if "ignore" also kept out quotations from an ignored original.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

its your board.  do whatever the fuck you want.  there is an ignore feature, neg feature(which I think is kinda stupid but have used it a few times), or people can stop being pussies.  or god forbid quit posting.

I can't even imagine running to a moderator to whine about something on an internet board.

So you'd enjoy reading pages and pages of stuff like that?

It's not being a snowflake and being offended by it, you shouldn't have to read a page of posts like that for 2 good thoughtful posts. 

If you're at nice restaurant is it ok for people with bullhorns to come in and give your their views on politics?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

If you're at nice restaurant is it ok for people with bullhorns to come in and give your their views on politics?

So in this case the board is the restaurant and the posters on this board are the ones assaulting you? I mean what exactly is this forum for if not discussion? Should we moderate all discussion everywhere, if someone doesn't like a movie can that person be banned from the thread discussing said movie? Can a Sooner ask that people stop saying OU sucks on the football board?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blacklab said:

So you'd enjoy reading pages and pages of stuff like that?

It's not being a snowflake and being offended by it, you shouldn't have to read a page of posts like that for 2 good thoughtful posts. 

thoughtful posts and nice restaurant?  I thought I was on the surl.  seriously though, run it how you see fit.  I would assume the owners would decide if the bullhorn folks should be allowed in.