Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust

RGBIII

6 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

How does this work with the NCAA Clearinghouse?  Will he be doing high school work concurrently at OSU, or did he manage to graduate an entire year early?

Upthread, it was claimed he just needed an English course to graduate, and he would apparently be able to complete this course online in August (must be nice).

If this is true, is the assumption he will be on tha Ohio State team this fall? 

OK, this article answers my question, he expects to practice and potentially play this season.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2021/07/123834/quinn-ewers-will-enroll-at-ohio-state-this-week-participate-in-preseason-camp

The five-star quarterback is reclassifying to the recruiting class of 2021 and will play for the Buckeyes this season, his father confirmed to Yahoo Sports on Monday.

Ewers, who had originally planned to arrive at Ohio State in January, will now enroll in August and begin his Buckeye career one season earlier than expected after completing the necessary coursework to graduate from Southlake Carroll High School.

With Ewers' early arrival, Ohio State will now have four scholarship quarterbacks on its 2021 roster, all of whom were highly touted recruits but none of whom have ever thrown a collegiate pass: C.J. Stroud, Jack Miller, Kyle McCord and Ewers.

Since Ewers will only be on campus for a few weeks before the start of the 2021 season, he'll have to make up significant ground to make a run at the starting job this year. According to Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel, Ewers will join the Buckeyes this month but it is not yet certain when he will be able to participate in his first practice with the team.

Edited by Vito Andolini
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

They have a lot of highly ranked, young QBs

Got damn and they got Evers and ewers.  This sucks.  I have to think super duper freshman ewers would have a easier path to starting for us than we would the 3 above him in shitty ass Columbus 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Got damn and they got Evers and ewers.  This sucks.  I have to think super duper freshman ewers would have a easier path to starting for us than we would the 3 above him in shitty ass Columbus 

The 5* receiver who just de-committed from fuckOSU must not have heard the Evers news yet. 

• Haha 1

It's ok, we can snag the ones who hit the portal. The days of stockpiling 4 highly recruited QB's on one team are over. Not sure even Saban could pull that off these days.

3 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

well fuck my life, now it's Arch or bust. 

Why?

Ewers can go to OSU, bank his cool mil, not earn the starting QB position, and then transfer to Austin next spring/summer and be immediately eligible.

Just because a top QB starts their career in one spot, rarely means that they will finish their college careers at that same school. Especially in the last 5 years.

On 7/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, Michael Knight said:

He hasn't worked hard, its just super easy to get into Ohio State

Let's not pretend that pretty much every university in the country doesn't make it easy for scholarship athletes to get through admissions.  Some do but they aren't named Ohio State and they aren't named Texas either.  Regular students?  Ohio State is not an easy one to get in despite the size of the university.

31 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

This move actually makes less sense to me than when Blue opted out. NIL money going to be that good for a redshirt freshman QB that is likely 3rd at best on the depth chart?

Came to say the same... I don't think this goes the way he thinks it's going to go.

But either way... NIL has its poster child for "that's not how its supposed to work"

2 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

This move actually makes less sense to me than when Blue opted out. NIL money going to be that good for a redshirt freshman QB that is likely 3rd at best on the depth chart?

Just now, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Came to say the same... I don't think this goes the way he thinks it's going to go.

But either way... NIL has its poster child for "that's not how its supposed to work"

Y’all are seriously off on this one. He’s one of the best QB prospects to come along in the last 20 years. There will be plenty of NIL money for him. Saying this won’t work out or that it makes less sense than a guy who made an emotional decision to quit after he got in a fight with his team is absurd. 

I’m sure Ewers already has a bunch of deals lined up to sign as soon as he enrolls. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m sure Ewers already has a bunch of deals lined up to sign as soon as he enrolls. 

This is probably accurate. This move is less of "I'm going to leave HS early so I can try to cash in on this NIL stuff," and more "I'm going to leave HS early because I already have a lot of big $ deals lined up that I can't capitalize on until I'm at fOSU.

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Why?

Ewers can go to OSU, bank his cool mil, not earn the starting QB position, and then transfer to Austin next spring/summer and be immediately eligible.

Just because a top QB starts their career in one spot, rarely means that they will finish their college careers at that same school. Especially in the last 5 years.

1 hour ago, maninblack said:

Future OU QB transfer

Mr. Cash answered why it's time to move on to Arch my friend. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

We’ve went from skipping a bowl game. To skipping senior year of college to fucjing skipping highschool in A years time lol 

Society needs to get up to speed in the genetic engineering department. Might have/design a few kids to be 7'0 500 lbs with 3.9 speed out the womb straight to UT.

8 minutes ago, XForce said:

So Ewers already has deals lined up and we have a guy that will win the Heisman in two years doing Cameos and Raising Canes promos?
The BMD’s are letting me down here.

It seems exceedingly likely at this point that the athletic department is the bottleneck here

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Y’all are seriously off on this one. He’s one of the best QB prospects to come along in the last 20 years. There will be plenty of NIL money for him. Saying this won’t work out or that it makes less sense than a guy who made an emotional decision to quit after he got in a fight with his team is absurd. 

I wasn’t speaking from only an NIL perspective. He’ll likely sit at least 2 years behind Stroud and I don’t think it is a guarantee he beats out McCord either. In fact it makes less sense football wise so this move seems to be all about money. Just don’t see how speeding up his eligibility clock benefits him.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

In fact it makes less sense football wise so this move seems to be all about money. Just don’t see how speeding up his eligibility clock benefits him.

You said it: it seems to be all about money, because it is. His iron isn't going to get any hotter than it is right now. Once you understand that, it all makes sense.

I'm not expecting this at all but this is honestly the only way we could possibly end up with Ewers since he clearly was solid to OSU. If he ends this season #2/3 on the depth chart behind fellow FR, he could easily bounce. Those guys will have a lot more prep time in the system than him too.

Or maybe he's not really expecting to start this year and just expects to redshirt anyway. Who knows.

34 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I'm not expecting this at all but this is honestly the only way we could possibly end up with Ewers since he clearly was solid to OSU. If he ends this season #2/3 on the depth chart behind fellow FR, he could easily bounce. Those guys will have a lot more prep time in the system than him too.

Or maybe he's not really expecting to start this year and just expects to redshirt anyway. Who knows.

I doubt he is expecting to play in the next 2 years. At best I’m assuming he is hoping he takes over for Stroud when he hopefully moves on in 2 years.

36 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I doubt he is expecting to play in the next 2 years. At best I’m assuming he is hoping he takes over for Stroud when he hopefully moves on in 2 years.

I don't think he's planning on sitting behind anyone. My guess is he hopes to be starting by end of season, absolute worst case next year starter.

• RGBIII changed the title to Ewers or Bust- Lord have mercy I’m bout to bust