Bitch about graduation season

GhostOfTomJoad

And the fake bullshit drama begins! Whatever happened to doing your duty by sitting through the horrible commencement followed by a simple family bbq then letting the grad go have fun with their high school friends? When did shit become one event after the other to fluff the egos of the parents?

Niece graduates in June. SIL is trying to guilt my wife (her twin sis; no pics) into spending 4-5 nights in Spring as part of her daughter's graduation week (WTF) celebration. Festivities include:

• 3 dinners, 2 brunches and a formal "afternoon tea" between Wed and Fri
  • Nail/Spa day for the girls
  • Professional photo sitting

And other bullshit "fun" things all designed for SIL to show off her money & her friends with money. Now her sis is trying to hit her with bullshit guilt texts. My wife knows her sis all too well & isn't falling for it.

To make things worse, niece is going to ou in the fall. 

tl;dr -- high school graduation ceremonies suck sweaty donkey balls.

2 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

God damn, I've never heard of this shit.

Yeah, what a bunch of bullshit. I skipped my HS graduation because my family was out of town that weekend so I went to Austin to party with friends instead. 

Edited by KaiserSoze

2 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

And the fake bullshit drama begins! Whatever happened to doing your duty by sitting through the horrible commencement followed by a simple family bbq then letting the grad go have fun with their high school friends? When did shit become one event after the other to fluff the egos of the parents?

Niece graduates in June. SIL is trying to guilt my wife (her twin sis; no pics) into spending 4-5 nights in Spring as part of her daughter's graduation week (WTF) celebration. Festivities include:

• 3 dinners, 2 brunches and a formal "afternoon tea" between Wed and Fri
  • Nail/Spa day for the girls
  • Professional photo sitting

And other bullshit "fun" things all designed for SIL to show off her money & her friends with money. Now her sis is trying to hit her with bullshit guilt texts. My wife knows her sis all too well & isn't falling for it.

To make things worse, niece is going to ou in the fall. 

tl;dr -- high school graduation ceremonies suck sweaty donkey balls.

giphy.gif

7 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

since they're twins just post pics of your wife.

They're not identical, but looked so similar growing up most people assumed they were. Mrs. Ghost is much hotter now in adulthood (primarily because she didn't squeeze out 2 kids a la her sister; never quite lost the baby weight).

Oh and the niece (definitely no pics) is a cheerleader & debutante. Every weekend she's not at a game or competition she's at a ball or gala. She seems to be down to earth (my wife texted her a few weeks ago to get the inside scoop on graduation; niece really didn't give a shit & just wanted to party with her friends), but they've definitely created their own little princess that some guy is gonna have to manage down the road.

I was thinking back to my HS graduation 30 years ago. All I wanted was to get through the ceremony without dying of heat stroke, get through the family meal as quickly as possible (made extra awkward as my dad & his 2nd wife were going through a nasty divorce), get a blowjob from my GF & then go out to Volente where a friend's parents let him use their lake house for a party for 70 or so grads. Shit, they even bought the beer! They'd be in jail for that nowadays.

With what some of these kids have experienced by the end of high school, what with the fancy shmancy Homecomings, proms, and graduations...not to mention high dollar  quinceaneras and other celebrations; the rest of life must suck when reality sets in.

My son graduated last year. We threw a party for him and had Pinkerton’s cater the bbq. Good time, but nothing extravagant.

I think I put on 10lbs in 2 weeks going to various crawfish boils, barbecues, dinners, etc. for his friends. They were all mostly low key events, but a couple of the girls had these type of multi-day shindigs.

• Like 1

Graduating high school is one of the easiest things to do in this state. The only thing you have to do is not drop out. They will bend every rule in the book to get a kid across the stage. Get into a top 100 university with a couple of merit based scholarships if you want some kind of celebration beyond a graduation dinner and a gift.

I wish I had a parent that knew the importance of high school performance beyond just graduating, but nothing can be done about that now. All I can do is make sure that I have my kids take it seriously.

• Like 2

My wife warned me after we went to her other niece's (no pics) graduation last year that this year would be hell. Older niece is their older brother's kid, and she knew her sis was going to do everything to show up her brother and especially his wife.

Last year was a simple catered lunch with extended family on Saturday afternoon (grad ceremony was Friday night w/ limited seating so we were spared).

I just want to send the niece a card with a nice check and say "congrats, get out of the house asap" but that's not gonna work. I'm already dreading the show they'll put on when she gets married someday.

46 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

My wife warned me after we went to her other niece's (no pics) graduation last year that this year would be hell. Older niece is their older brother's kid, and she knew her sis was going to do everything to show up her brother and especially his wife.

Last year was a simple catered lunch with extended family on Saturday afternoon (grad ceremony was Friday night w/ limited seating so we were spared).

I just want to send the niece a card with a nice check and say "congrats, get out of the house asap" but that's not gonna work. I'm already dreading the show they'll put on when she gets married someday.

Your SIL sounds like a piece of work.  No doubt training your niece to be the same.  I'm guessing her husband is one sad, henpecked SOB.

Your SIL sounds like a piece of work.  No doubt training your niece to be the same.  I'm guessing her husband is one sad, henpecked SOB.
He's aggy so.....

Actually he's done quite well for himself & definitely wears the pants. Short man complex but is generally an ok guy. Living almost as vicariously thru his teenage son's sports exploits as his wife is their daughter's stuff.

My younger brother and my oldest cousin both graduated in the same year, 1999. My brother's graduating class (Houston suburbs) was over 600 and took a couple of hours. The very next weekend we travel to SA for the NEISD ISA graduation. I find out the class is only about 100 kids. I'm pretty pumped until I start reading the program. In addition to the normal self serving valedictorian speech they had speeches from the class poet and other people. They had multiple songs and performances as well as a whole section where students got up to tell inside jokes / stories about their teachers and give them their own awards. Fucking thing was almost 4 hours long. 

4 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

There is zero chance I am going to any graduation other than my siblings or my kids (and one day, their kids).  That's it.

I would go to my nephew's graduation, but otherwise I agree with this.  I'm already dreading the 1st, 2nd,... 8th, 9th graduation bull shit.  It's stupid as hell, but the kids don't know that and all they'll notice is that their parents aren't there.

• 3 weeks later...

The audience is now much worse than the graduates. Noisemakers ,confetti, extended screaming that often distracts from the recognition of the next graduate in line. People(moms) will go hours ahead of time to reserve seats and you can guess as to how that often plays out. In some scenarios a graduate is given a finite amount of guest tickets and then the scalping begins.Image result for graduation fight

On 4/17/2018 at 11:02 PM, Spankytoes said:

What about all the Preschool/Kindergarden/5th Grade/etc. “graduations”. Holy shit, stick to high school and college. That’s all we used to need. 

My wife wants me to take off work so I can go to my sons kindergarten "graduation." Kindergarten. Graduation. What kind of backwards ass world do we live in where this is even a thing? It is glorified daycare. The only way you dont graduate is if your parents dont take you there and drop you off. Get the fuck out of here with that shit.

• Like 1

But if you don't go, you're not putting on the face of an elementary school power couple. Your wife has her eye on that Update the Playground chair position. This then puts her in a position to go to the principal and request your child's teachers. 

Image result for kindergarten graduation funny

• Like 1

I've gone to 5 graduation ceremonies in my entire life.  My high School graduation (I skipped my UT graduation and just had them mail me my diploma), my two older sons high school ceremonies, my second oldest son's college graduation (I refuse to name the school), and my oldest son's Harvard Law School graduation.  

59 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I've gone to 5 graduation ceremonies in my entire life.  My high School graduation (I skipped my UT graduation and just had them mail me my diploma), my two older sons high school ceremonies, my second oldest son's college graduation (I refuse to name the school), and my oldest son's Harvard Law School graduation.  

Was he adopted or something?

Lulz.  My oldest son is graduating this year.  He doesn't want to attend the commencement ceremony, but we paid for his cap & gown, so he's damn well going to wear it!  We are sending some invitations out to people who haven't seen us or him in so long they will be shocked that he's actually old enough to be graduating right now.  At least it's an excuse to send them a picture of him and say hello.  I don't expect anyone to actually attend the ceremony.

16 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

When I graduated from high school , parents sent out dozens of invitations to friends and family . It was purely a gift grab. Lots of Cross pens being bought

My graduation in a nutshell.  Cross pens and shaving kits.  

WTF is a class poet and wtf is a promvitation?
No shit, the niece who's graduating next month just blasted my wife's FB page with her "promposal" pics where the young cheese dick she's dating has multiple friends help him by holding large posters he made. The dude also plays soccer so he's already losing at life.
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
2 hours ago, LW Goatman said:
WTF is a class poet and wtf is a promvitation?

The dude also plays soccer so he's already losing at life.

gotta be honest, there are very few larger Texas High Schools with ugly cheerleaders, so being a soccer player and laying pipe to one of the school cheerleaders kind of implies hes' winning at life right now.... it may end up being the high point of his entire life, but the dude kinda sounds like hes living the HS dream right now.

Edited by AUS-97HORN

17 minutes ago, theaveragejon said:

Texas debutante's.

Shit is so out of wack.

I remember imploring my mom to not give me a HS grad party. By the time I graduated UT she had it figured out what guys care about in situations like this. 

So she gave you a blow job and a six pack?

• Like 1

I love going to Texas State graduation.  I get to see a lot of students I really like for maybe the last time, and there's not a whole lot of bullshit to the ceremony -- only one of the six ceremonies each semester has a speaker.  It's mainly just a song, a proclamation, read 500 or so names, sing the school song, and you're done in less than an hour.  

But my daughter graduated from HS a couple of years ago, and that was a whole new level of bullshit.  It took nearly two hours even though there were only 140 grads.  Wife went down to SA a week later to see the niece graduate from a really big HS, and she said it took nearly three hours.  

The audience is now much worse than the graduates. Noisemakers ,confetti, extended screaming that often distracts from the recognition of the next graduate in line.

My oldest graduated from UTMB two weeks ago. I'm amazed some of these people in the audience were capable of shitting out a college graduate based on their behavior. Everyone needs to make a spectacle to get 'likes' I guess.

On 4/18/2018 at 6:58 AM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I was thinking back to my HS graduation 30 years ago. All I wanted was to get through the ceremony without dying of heat stroke, get through the family meal as quickly as possible (made extra awkward as my dad & his 2nd wife were going through a nasty divorce), get a blowjob from my GF & then go out to Volente where a friend's parents let him use their lake house for a party for 70 or so grads. Shit, they even bought the beer!

That sounds like a pretty good day even for right now for being 50.

My niece in Missouri is graduating from a "Christian high school" this month. Not sure what happened to the public school she was attending, but I digress. For the last 3 or 4 Christmases I've sent $3-400 worth of presents to them and not once did I get a thank you. They did send me a few trinket presents ($10 pocket knife, new ball cap with their company logo, stuff like that). This year they didn't even send me a present in return. But graduation rolls around and I get an invitation. They know there's no way in hell I'm driving up there for it, but I'm pretty sure they are expecting a nice fat graduation present. I'm thinking fuck 'em.

Lemme show y'all how it's done... gal on fbook posted about being sad Bc it's her "daughter's last pre-k graduation ceremony"... that's right, enrolled in two dif pre-k's concurrently, ceremony for each. 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Lemme show y'all how it's done... gal on fbook posted about being sad Bc it's her "daughter's last pre-k graduation ceremony"... that's right, enrolled in two dif pre-k's concurrently, ceremony for each. 

You gotta hand it to kids with the work ethic to double-major.