the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:
1 hour ago, Hookah Horns said:
I don't remember all that much about the complexities of choice of law in torts either, but Powell made the most recent comments in DC, which does have commercial disparagement. In short, I'm pretty confident Dominion wouldn't have to worry about choice of law foreclosing a suit against Powell. 

Read more  

Honestly, Dominion would be best just laying low. Last thing Dominion or the country needs is for a defamation suit to enter discovery and have internal emails disparaging President Trump pop up. All it would do is add fuel to the fire. Honestly, if I were them, I'd let all of this play out and wait for the first state after inauguration to drop them, possibly citing concerns parroted by Powell, then bring the suit. At least then any anti-Trump emails churned up will be moot and Dominion could prove actual damages in the loss of a state contract.

You'd definitely need to account for any damaging discovery, but if all they have to worry about is run of the mill trump-bashing internal emails, I'd be more concerned about the perception and business affects of not attacking these claims by Powell.

The number one thing I'd want if I'm Dominion is a very public apology from Powell and an admission she had no idea what she was talking about and it's all bullshit. 

10 minutes ago, Mole said:

So here’s one bit out of many that I struggle with. Let’s say I think the Trump claim is true. It would be the most destructive scandal in American history. It would be destructive in a fundamentally different way. It would be terrible for everyone and hurt everyone. 

On the Texas Ags threads as well as the crazies in my own circle, they don’t just think it happened, they’re rooting for it to have happened. I don’t get rooting for such a terrible and destructive event, even if I believed it to be true. I’d rather to have simply just lost. 

The desire to be right is a terrible thing.

Owning the libs is literally the only thing that matters to these losers. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Dude, go to the TexAg thread,  They think you should make your weakest claims at the trial court, get denied and then you get to raise totally different, more important claims at the SC. They are retards.

What the shit?  Do they think it's like CFB where you try to run a vanilla offense against Florida International in your opener and save the good stuff for the big nonconference opponent or LSU?

1 minute ago, Hookah Horns said:

Their posturing that they're happy about the dismissal because they want to take this piece of shit case to SCOTUS asap is probably the funniest part of this clown show. 

The Supreme Court wants nothing to do with this shitshow, I would imagine. No reason to taint the Court. 

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

I just don't understand how in the usual most important swing state of Florida, that the election rigging failed. Maybe the Castro Cubans have better hacking capabilities than the Chavez Commies?

These are not clever people.

I don't wade too deep into these waters, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I'm not sure what thread to put it in. Some of you all know that I live in Michigan, I have been around here for awhile. Anyway, tomorrow is the day that the State is supposed to certify the election results. I'm sure many of you were following the drama on Friday with the leaders of the state legislature going to visit DC. Anyway, reading the tea leaves I strongly suspect that the State board will deadlock tomorrow 2-2, with the Rs holding out for a full election audit before they will certify. If my understanding is correct the next in line will be Big Gretch to appoint the electors. This will be blocked methinks by the State legislature. I strongly suspect that the Michigan vote (which Biden won by ~ 150k votes) will end up in the Supreme Court. 

Here's a little reading on it. https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/politics/michigan-election-results-certification/index.html

TL; DR I believe it's going to end up in the state supreme court because I have zero faith in humanity. And it worries me because it may provide a blueprint to other states. And oh yes, the MI Supreme Court sits with a 3-2 majority for the Rs, who stripped Big Gretch of her powers to enact Covid measures that she was issuing under a 1945 statute. I don't know how any of this works, I only started following politics once it became clear that 45 was the devil incarnate in the flesh and 40% of the country for some reason thought that was cool. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

I don't wade too deep into these waters, so I apologize if this has already been covered. I'm not sure what thread to put it in. Some of you all know that I live in Michigan, I have been around here for awhile. Anyway, tomorrow is the day that the State is supposed to certify the election results. I'm sure many of you were following the drama on Friday with the leaders of the state legislature going to visit DC. Anyway, reading the tea leaves I strongly suspect that the State board will deadlock tomorrow 2-2, with the Rs holding out for a full election audit before they will certify. If my understanding is correct the next in line will be Big Gretch to appoint the electors. This will be blocked methinks by the State legislature. I strongly suspect that the Michigan vote (which Biden won by ~ 150k votes) will end up in the Supreme Court. 

Here's a little reading on it. https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/20/politics/michigan-election-results-certification/index.html

TL; DR I believe it's going to end up in the state supreme court because I have zero faith in humanity. And it worries me because it may provide a blueprint to other states. And oh yes, the MI Supreme Court sits with a 3-2 majority for the Rs, who stripped Big Gretch of her powers to enact Covid measures that she was issuing under a 1945 statute. I don't know how any of this works, I only started following politics once it became clear that 45 was the devil incarnate in the flesh and 40% of the country for some reason thought that was cool. 

I would be really surprised if it doesn’t play out just as you say.  They are blatantly and right out in the open trying to take away tens of thousands of votes and steal the state.

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I just don't understand how in the usual most important swing state of Florida, that the election rigging failed. Maybe the Castro Cubans have better hacking capabilities than the Chavez Commies?

Nah, the state of Florida had updated to the latest software version (5.0) in time for the election, preventing these shenanigans.  But other states were still using version 4.6.1 or earlier, which had that pesky backdoor.

I'm honestly surprised that excuse hasn't came out yet, or something similar.  

12 hours ago, Irwin F Fletcher said:
13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:
EndjYKfXcAEF9dQ?format=jpg&name=small

It's probably already been said, but there is always a Tweet when it comes to Trump and his incompetence. Something you can always count on. Death, taxes and a stupid ass tweet coming back to bite Trump in the ass.

So, 60% of his election dream team had been employed by Ukrainian oligarch/fugitive Dmytro Firtash, lobbying Trump in an affair which would eventually lead to Trump's impeachment.  And now it's 75% of the team with the departure of QAnon nutball Powell.  I think Giuliani, diGenova and Toensing are looking at FARA violations, at a minimum, once Biden is sworn in.  

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As an attorney, here’s the thing that still scares me about Trump’s legal team: it’s not that they’re so good. It’s that they’re so bad.

I HATE going up against really bad, stupid lawyers. They’re impossible to work with, and impossible to predict. I have no idea what an insane, stupid person is going to do next, because I don’t speak that language.

I much prefer to face excellent legal counsel. They aren’t erratic. They might spring a surprise at times, but in a clever and (I say this without irony) predictable way.

The worst experiences I’ve had as an attorney are the cases where opposing counsel is a moron. I have to clean up so much idiocy. You have to respond to stupid pleadings just like you have to respond to good ones. And sometimes, you don’t even know how to respond. It’s hard to argue against nonsense. Which means that sometimes, nonsense slips through.

TLDR: it’s really hard to play chess against someone who thinks that taking a shit on the board is a legit move.

Yes.  So frustrating.  And it can be hard to explain to your client that this guy (and usually his client) is such an idiot that it is taking extra time and fees to resolve.  Ultimately, you will win, and decisively, but the path to get there is painful and needlessly expensive.

I suspect that any litigation with Trumpco of any kind is a lot like this.  Most of the time he has otherwise competent counsel, but I think he forces them to barely tenable positions frequently.

49 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Good thread

Nice thread, and it has references to the law!  Which, I'm pretty sure, all of the Michigan GOP elected folk have sworn to the State of Michigan constitution to uphold.

That's it.  All that is good here is their word.   I don't expect them to keep their word.  

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Good thread

Yep.  It's strange that they have "boards" of canvassers at all.  But all of the boards are four people, two from each party.  There's no language about voting on any issue, much less certification.  It's basically gather the info, tot up the votes, and certify.  No voting on anything, no discretion, nothing.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Good thread

Unfortunately it may take getting to the Michigan Supreme Court to get the "law and order" party to follow the law. 

I hope it doesn't.  I hope the second GOP member of the board isn't a fucking cultist and has the balls to stand up to the cultists.  But that's a tough bet right now. 

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

As an attorney, here’s the thing that still scares me about Trump’s legal team: it’s not that they’re so good. It’s that they’re so bad.

I HATE going up against really bad, stupid lawyers. They’re impossible to work with, and impossible to predict. I have no idea what an insane, stupid person is going to do next, because I don’t speak that language.

I much prefer to face excellent legal counsel. They aren’t erratic. They might spring a surprise at times, but in a clever and (I say this without irony) predictable way.

The worst experiences I’ve had as an attorney are the cases where opposing counsel is a moron. I have to clean up so much idiocy. You have to respond to stupid pleadings just like you have to respond to good ones. And sometimes, you don’t even know how to respond. It’s hard to argue against nonsense. Which means that sometimes, nonsense slips through.

TLDR: it’s really hard to play chess against someone who thinks that taking a shit on the board is a legit move.

Fuck dude, give it a rest.  I had a difficult client.

And the judge awarded you most of your fees.

• Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Tuco said:

Unfortunately it may take getting to the Michigan Supreme Court to get the "law and order" party to follow the law. 

I hope it doesn't.  I hope the second GOP member of the board isn't a fucking cultist and has the balls to stand up to the cultists.  But that's a tough bet right now. 

Won't get that far if I read the rules correctly - the governor can replace any of them if they don't follow the law. All depends on how much drama they want to give everyone. 

Trump will throw a fit because he doesn't know the rules (see Georgia). 

8 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

Dems had to not cheat in FL and NC to throw the trail off. Duh. 

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

When the President & RNC isn't above bullying the MI (Michigan not Minnesota) top elected officials, it's a lot to ask a lower level administrator to stand up for the truth.

We're lucky that GA had a GOP Sec of State that placed his duty above party. He probably ended his political career.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

1 hour ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

Nice thread, and it has references to the law!  Which, I'm pretty sure, all of the Michigan GOP elected folk have sworn to the State of Michigan constitution to uphold.

That's it.  All that is good here is their word.   I don't expect them to keep their word.  

1 hour ago, Tuco said:

To me, as someone who has spent some time pointlessly hearing public comment and arguing over ministerial duties on a board with no discretionary authority, this is the most interesting thing in this thread:

Investigations are not a necessary purpose.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

2 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Lulz there's a call script . . . 

CALL SCRIPT:
Receptionist: Hello. Thank you for calling our office.
You: Hello my name is ____. Today I’m calling to urge [REPRESENTATIVE

NAME] to support a transparent audit of votes in our state to protect all legal votes. There have been proven irregularities nationwide, including with electronic voting systems.

Receptionist: Great. We will make a note of this for the Representative. Is there anything else I can help you with?

You: No, thank you. I’m only calling to ask [REPRESENTATIVE NAME] to support electoral transparency and integrity, with an urgent audit of both ballots AND electronic voting systems.