Muschamp shitcanned

Gil Bang

37 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Took a look at their 247 boards and there were multiple posters saying they should go after Cristobal like they had any shot in hell. They're such a good rival for aggy.

My understanding is that Clemson is more of the aggy in that state. Y'know, aside from the success in athletics

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fyi... last week

Liberty University extends contract of football coach Hugh Freeze through 2026

"Hugh Freeze, who has steered Liberty's football team to the best start in program history this season, has agreed to a new deal through 2026, the school announced Wednesday.   Financial details were not announced, but sources told ESPN that the deal would place Freeze among the top 5 highest-paid non-Power 5 head coaches in college football -- which would mean his average salary would be $3 million-plus per year. 

(Wonder what the buyout from Liberty is ??)

This is good for South Carolina then haha

1 hour ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Took a look at their 247 boards and there were multiple posters saying they should go after Cristobal like they had any shot in hell. They're such a good rival for aggy.

Well they are like the 12th best program in the SEC, which equates to about 4th best in the country.

• Haha 2

South Carolina's 7 best coaching candidates to replace fired Will Muschamp

• Hugh Freeze, Liberty coach
  • Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator  
  • Jamey Chadwell, Coastal Carolina coach  
  • Steve Sarkisian, Alabama offensive coordinator  
  • Will Healy, Charlotte coach  
  • Joe Brady, Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator  
  • Billy Napier, Louisiana coach   (Best Fit)

Napier is an excellent fit. He played quarterback at Furman and was an assistant at Clemson from 2006-10. His experience as an assistant under Nick Saban at Alabama makes him even more intriguing, not to mention his track record at Louisiana (25-11) the past three seasons. This year, the Ragin' Cajuns are 7-1 and ranked No. 24 in The Associated Press Top 25. He has to be considered the leading candidate for the job.

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/ncaa-football/news/south-carolina-coaching-candidates-replace-will-mushamp/jdgeddoroanl17wcakg9c4mm5

Freudian Slip... Article already lists Napier as "South Carolina HC"

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/south-carolina-football-7-coaching-candidates-replace-will-muschamp

7 Coaching Candidates to Replace Will Muschamp at South Carolina

• Joe Brady, Offensive Coordinator, Carolina Panthers
  • Jamey Chadwell, Head Coach, Coastal Carolina
  • Hugh Freeze, Head Coach, Liberty
  • Will Healy, Head Coach, Charlotte
  • Steve Sarkisian, Offensive Coordinator, Alabama
  • Billy Napier, Head Coach, South Carolina
  • Shane Beamer, Assistant Coach, Oklahoma

Napier has ties to the state of South Carolina, as he played his college ball at Furman (1999-02) and later worked as an assistant at Clemson (2003-04 and 2006-10) and spent one season at South Carolina State (2005). However, Napier’s biggest draw to the program is his success as a head coach at Louisiana. The Ragin’ Cajuns are 25-11 under Napier’s watch and have claimed three consecutive Sun Belt West Division titles. Additionally, Louisiana’s 11-win campaign in 2019 was the best season in school history, and the program knocked off Iowa State on the road in the ’20 opener. Napier also has experience from stops as an assistant at Colorado State (2012), Alabama (2013-16) and Arizona State (2017). The 41-year-old coach has raised the Ragin’ Cajuns’ profile on the recruiting trail and knows how to build successful offenses.

Beamer is a South Carolina native, so there’s some natural ties to the area. Additionally, Beamer has experience as an assistant at several high-profile programs, including Mississippi State (2004-06), Virginia Tech (2011-15), Georgia (2016-17) and Oklahoma (2018-current). Beamer worked from 2007-10 as an assistant at South Carolina and is regarded for his work on the recruiting trail. Beamer does not have any experience as a head coach, but he’s got a strong resume from his time as an assistant.

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I was told we can’t fire a coach mid season during covid. 

Somehow SC found the money to move on...and mid-season during a pandemic. We had to have made some “win the big 12” deal with Herman? So as long as the conference is still in play we can’t fire him? Or...?

2 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Somehow SC found the money to move on...and mid-season during a pandemic. We had to have made some “win the big 12” deal with Herman? So as long as the conference is still in play we can’t fire him? Or...?

Let's keep telling ourselves that it's because of a supposed buyout. And because the next coach needs time to assemble a staff and also his wife needs to house hunt.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

If TPTB don’t think Herman is the guy it does us no good to hang onto him. 

I was being sarcastic. It really does no good to hang on to Herman. The only option where it makes sense is if high level coaching targets are currently at other schools. Since all that's been reported is that it's CUM or else, that doesn't seem to explain the situation either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tom Herman needs a shit ton of maturity. He won't accept he's not been a good coach because it's everybody else.  When you hire a second staff and you still are underperforming, the once consistency is the HC. He's shown he can't make in game adjustments which also has been a problem.  Offense was supposed to be his forte and that's the worst side of the ball.    

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, UDontKnow said:

I was being sarcastic. It really does no good to hang on to Herman. The only option where it makes sense is if high level coaching targets are currently at other schools. Since all that's been reported is that it's CUM or else, that doesn't seem to explain the situation either. 

Well we have the money...fuck if the Gamecocks can blow $15 million or so to kick Muschamp to the curb we can definitely afford to jettison Herman. I worry bc we know there will be other HCs let go COVID may have sped stuff up honestly. Teams lost a ton of money and if they have a losing HC they can’t afford to lose more. But optics? My nightmare scenario is going to the Big 12 and losing big and possibly losing out on a chance for a good/great coaching hire because we dicked around. That’s if Urban doesn’t pan out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

Well we have the money...fuck if the Gamecocks can blow $15 million or so to kick Muschamp to the curb we can definitely afford to jettison Herman. I worry bc we know there will be other HCs let go COVID may have sped stuff up honestly. Teams lost a ton of money and if they have a losing HC they can’t afford to lose more. But optics? My nightmare scenario is going to the Big 12 and losing big and possibly losing out on a chance for a good/great coaching hire because we dicked around. That’s if Urban doesn’t pan out. 

Maybe the money is only there if CUM is guaranteed. Remember these big cigar types want to win after wandering the wilderness for the last decade so there might be strings attached.

2 hours ago, RollLeft said:

If nothing else CDC can point to this and say someone else went first and there is precedent.  I'm not saying it advances our cause, but it doesn't hurt it either.

Muschamp is the biggest domino to fall so far. At least this gives us some cover and we don't have to be the first P5 of any significance to fire a non-performing HC amid the COVID madness. We can do it after the next loss, or at the end of the season. Personally, I'd prefer yesterday.

1 hour ago, PHLaggie said:

Gotta say, he disappointed me again, by getting fired. Five seasons at South Carolina, and five straight W's for A&M. Was looking fwd to at least a few more years of W's. :)

they’re in the SEC east.  how do y’all play them every year and get georgia once a decade?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

Napier has extensive experience in SC but what else has he done to be qualified?  He’s got 2.5. years at a sun belt team.   One of which was mediocre.  

Yeah, but SC doesn’t have to be picky. He’s done well at Louisiana, and that should be good enough. They hired Muschamp after he completely sucked ass. 

3 hours ago, PittsburghTiger said:

He's going to start hanging out with Charlie Weis.

It’s unreal that Weis and Muschamp got second HC gigs but Mark Mangino cannot.

I mean sure they might have to cut the wall out of a Golden Corral to extract him and he most likely reeks of ass and stale Cheetos, but the man can coach football. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Mdhorn said:

Tom Herman needs a shit ton of maturity. He won't accept he's not been a good coach because it's everybody else.  When you hire a second staff and you still are underperforming, the once consistency is the HC. He's shown he can't make in game adjustments which also has been a problem.  Offense was supposed to be his forte and that's the worst side of the ball.    

All the talent and built-in structure at tOSU made Turtle seem much better than he actually was.  Hell Mensa didn't even assemble the roster that he had success with at UH.

Unfortunately, TEXAS became the location where The Peter Principle was confirmed about Turtle-Tom.

42 minutes ago, futureman said:

they’re in the SEC east.  how do y’all play them every year and get georgia once a decade?

The SEC recently approved continuing its 6-1-1 schedule format, which includes games against six divisional opponents, a permanent game against a cross-divisional opponent and one rotating opponent from the opposite division. SEC teams are also required to schedule at least one non-conference opponent from a Power 5 conference.

The permanent cross-divisional rival was maintained in order to preserve the Alabama-Tennessee and Auburn-Georgia rivalries. The other permanent cross-division games set by the conference are LSU-Florida, Mississippi State-Kentucky, Ole Miss-Vanderbilt, Texas A&M-South Carolina and Arkansas-Missouri.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PHLaggie said:

Gotta say, he disappointed me again, by getting fired. Five seasons at South Carolina, and five straight W's for A&M. Was looking fwd to at least a few more years of W's. :)

That is a pretty much a “who is the tallest midget” take. South Carolina is what, a .450 all time winning percentage type of team? Beating them like a drum is nothing particularly impressive.

4 hours ago, Nicole44 said:

I mean... we're fifth in the Large Dozen right now. #5. Behind ISU, OSU, KSU and OU.

• Hook 'Em 1