Jump to content
Landomatic

Baker Mayfield Fans Butthurt: ESPN is picking on their boy.

Recommended Posts

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-draft-makeover-could-browns-draft-qb-in-2021-perhaps-even-baker-mayfields-hated-rival-191152637.html

NFL draft makeover: Could Browns draft QB in 2021? Perhaps even Baker Mayfield's hated rival?

 

 

Quote

 

Early-round prospect

Sam Ehlinger, Texas

Keen observers will know what’s at play if this pick somehow happened.

Yes, in and of itself, the Browns bringing in a Texas quarterback to theoretically compete with Baker, an Oklahoma grad, would be notable. But drafting a QB whom Mayfield has ripped publicly? What a brushback pick that would be.

Hated rival Texas is the only school Mayfield lost to more than once in college (at Texas Tech and Oklahoma), and Mayfield unleashed this fiery take on Ehlinger last year:

“[Ehlinger] couldn't beat Lake Travis [Mayfield’s high school], so I don't really care [about] his opinion on winning,” Mayfield said. “Westlake is a great program, but the two best quarterbacks to come out of there are Drew Brees and Nick Foles. Sam can stay down there in Texas. ...

“That will stir the pot. He doesn't like me, and I hope he knows I don't like him either.”

Chaos? We always root for it. And Cleveland is used to it. Bring on Ehlinger in Cleveland!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would make an interesting off season if the Browns drafted Sam to replace Baker, but I wouldn't wish Cleveland upon anyone and Sam's career would be doomed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So let's say this happens and Sam ends up in Cleveland. If the guy starting in front of you is a douche, and said douche goes out and throws the game away. Is it considered bad form to tell your teammate "take the loss, pussy"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

LOL.  Just think some network will put him behind a desk one day for his "expert/color/analysis" insight.  That will be an even sadder day.

Craig (RIP hookers) James thinks that is a killer idea. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, threesheets said:

 

 

"Imagine being a starting QB in the NFL and not seeing that guy"

Brutal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mulletpelini said:

I don't think it's a good thing when people describe your wife as handsome.

Also not good when they say "Lou Ferrigno-ish."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JMFP said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-draft-makeover-could-browns-draft-qb-in-2021-perhaps-even-baker-mayfields-hated-rival-191152637.html

NFL draft makeover: Could Browns draft QB in 2021? Perhaps even Baker Mayfield's hated rival?

 

 

 

Holy hell. I'd rather Baker end up being a slightly decent QB than for Sam to get drafted by them.  

Edited by dingleberryswitzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Does anyone really think SE is an NFL quality qb? I mean I love the guy to death but really?

I don't know if GM's and scouts who have been in the NFL for multiple decades know who will or who won't succeed in the NFL. I say give the guy a shot. Gilbert got a roster spot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Drew Lock, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Ryan Tannehill and Baker Mayfield are starting in the NFL, then Sam sure as shit has a shot.  He is durable and his arm is as strong as any of those guys.  Colt has been on a roster for 10 years, so Sam should make it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

If Drew Lock, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Ryan Tannehill and Baker Mayfield are starting in the NFL, then Sam sure as shit has a shot.  He is durable and his arm is as strong as any of those guys.  Colt has been on a roster for 10 years, so Sam should make it.  

Agreed. The NFL is a total crapshoot because success depends on so much more than what the QB brings to the table. Sam's steady growth year over year and pending explosion in a competent offense will make at least a few teams want him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly. The main reason to believe Ehlinger has a chance to play in the NFL comes not from watching him or other top college QBs play, it comes from watching so many terrible NFL QBs play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Does anyone really think SE is an NFL quality qb? I mean I love the guy to death but really?

Fran Tarkenton waves "hi" from the HOF.

Durability counts. He can also throw the ball and is a natural leader.

Edited by Rimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

If Drew Lock, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Ryan Tannehill and Baker Mayfield are starting in the NFL, then Sam sure as shit has a shot.  He is durable and his arm is as strong as any of those guys.  Colt has been on a roster for 10 years, so Sam should make it.  

Colt was one of the most accurate college passers ever.  he also is a natural leader who won a shit-ton of football games.

What part of Sam Ellinger's game makes you think he could remotely duplicate McCoy's success?

SE is a tough sumbeech that plays his heart out.  That ain't enough in the NFL.   I wouldn't wish Cleveland on anyone I root for, either. ( as a rival fan, i still can't help but pull for Sam to do well)

Edited by slorch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, slorch said:

What part of Sam Ellinger's game makes you think he could remotely duplicate McCoy's success?

I don't think he can duplicate McCoy's success; I think he can exceed it, because the man is made out of cast iron.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Colt was one of the most accurate college passers ever.  he also is a natural leader that won a shgit-ton of football games.

What part of Sam Ellinger's game makes you think he could remotely duplicate McCoy's success?

SE is a tough sumbeech that plays his heart out.  That ain't enough in the NFL.   I wouldn't wish Cleveland on anyone I root for, either. ( as a rival fan, i still can't help but pull for Sam to do well)

Well, again: Baker Mayfield has started a lot of NFL games. If that douchebag can do it, Sam sure can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, slorch said:

Colt was one of the most accurate college passers ever.  he also is a natural leader that won a shit-ton of football games.

What part of Sam Ellinger's game makes you think he could remotely duplicate McCoy's success?

SE is a tough sumbeech that plays his heart out.  That ain't enough in the NFL.   I wouldn't wish Cleveland on anyone I root for, either. ( as a rival fan, i still can't help but pull for Sam to do well)

Ehlinger can be very accurate but is a bit inconsistent. Look at some of his throws against LSU last year. It's not his fault that Beck's shitass offense forgot the middle of the field existed shortly after that game. 

He would be a reasonable 5th round pick with a target of learning for a couple of years. And even then backup may be his ceiling, but saying he has no shot at playing in the NFL is wrong. 

Edited by Huckleberry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Ehlinger can be very accurate but is a bit inconsistent. Look at some of his throws against LSU last year. It's not his fault that Beck's shitass offense forgot the middle of the field existed shortly after that game. 

He would be a reasonable 5th round pick with a target of leading for a couple of years. And even then backup may be his ceiling, but saying he has no shot at playing in the NFL is wrong. 

I didn't mean to convey he'll never make it.  1) i don't think he'll duplicate Colt's NFL career or 2) be successful in Cleveland( who has been, since Kosar and Sipe?)

Edited by slorch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Does anyone really think SE is an NFL quality qb? I mean I love the guy to death but really?

Remember when Tebow got drafted and everyone said wtf?  You only need one team to fall in love with you to get drafted.  I think Eh is a better version of Tebow, and the way the game has shifted to a more mobile QB, I'd say he's got a shot.

20 years ago, no shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cleveland should have drafted one QB and a lot of O-line players.  

Winning = Defense + kicking game + Oline

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Ehlinger can be very accurate but is a bit inconsistent. Look at some of his throws against LSU last year. It's not his fault that Beck's shitass offense forgot the middle of the field existed shortly after that game. 

He would be a reasonable 5th round pick with a target of learning for a couple of years. And even then backup may be his ceiling, but saying he has no shot at playing in the NFL is wrong. 

This is a solid assessment of Sam as of today. HIs floor is a day 3 pick that sticks to a roster for at least a couple years. We’ll see from there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What if Sam takes Baker's job in Cleveland and they win a Super Bowl and Baker ends up running a used car lot with Johnny Manziel to finance their meth habits?

I don't know what the chances are, but it's not 0%.

Edited by TexArcher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slorch said:

I didn't mean to convey he'll never make it.  1) i don't think he'll duplicate Colt's NFL career or 2) be successful in Cleveland( who has been, since Kosar and Sipe?)

Not succeeding in Cleveland would be step one of duplicating colt’s nfl career. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Does anyone really think SE is an NFL quality qb? I mean I love the guy to death but really?

#1 QB? Not so much (but then again douchebag is doing it, even if he sucks ass). Good backup & sometimes starter? Sure. Why not?

Edited by wood

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Cleveland should have drafted one QB and a lot of O-line players.  

Winning = Defense + kicking game + Oline

That's what the Browns & every other team should have been doing as long as the NFL has existed, but it seems most of the 'experts' in the league, esp in CLE, haven't figured that shit out yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2020 at 2:23 PM, Chad said:


I hope that they trade ODBj or bench Baker, so I can actually put ODBj in my lineup.

I am wondering what happened to the Baker Mayfield from the 2nd half of 2018.

 

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Does anyone really think SE is an NFL quality qb? I mean I love the guy to death but really?

No.
 

7 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

If Drew Lock, Kirk Cousins, Dak Prescott, Ryan Tannehill and Baker Mayfield are starting in the NFL, then Sam sure as shit has a shot.  He is durable and his arm is as strong as any of those guys.  Colt has been on a roster for 10 years, so Sam should make it.  


All of those guys are either taller than Sam's real height, are throwers, and/or have a Heisman trophy.

 

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

Fran Tarkenton waves "hi" from the HOF.

Durability counts. He can also throw the ball and is a natural leader.

 

5 hours ago, Rimbo said:

I don't think he can duplicate McCoy's success; I think he can exceed it, because the man is made out of cast iron.


Sam gets injured EVERY YEAR. And that started in HIGH SCHOOL.

Sam is a really tough hombre made out of mismatched parts and where those parts come together (they don't "fit together") is where he gets hurt. He plays hurt, which is great except for the fact that that means that he's hurt again.

 

3 hours ago, GRHorn said:

This is a solid assessment of Sam as of today. HIs floor is a day 3 pick that sticks to a roster for at least a couple years. We’ll see from there. 


Sam's floor is "UDFA who makes a practice squad and has to decide whether he is going to give up his dream of playing QB in the NFL and agree to play fullback/special teams or try to play QB in Canada." THAT is Sam's floor.

Hopefully Sam gets drafted and makes a practice squad for at least a couple of years. Anything above that is gravy. After that, he'll be able to do anything he wants in Austin when he's through with his NFL experiment. The world is Sam's oyster... other than the NFL QB World.

It would be cool to see Sam take a regular season snap someday from the QB position, but simply taking any regular season snaps in the NFL (at any position) is a dream come true for most of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bullneck said:

Cleveland should have drafted one QB and a lot of O-line players.  

Winning = Defense + kicking game + Oline

Sure, but winning the Super Bowl = Having a bad ass QB

...not that 50% of the teams in the league, especially the Browns, should have the Super Bowl as their immediate goal on draft night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Sam has the necessary skills to succeed in the NFL or not. I absolutely know NFL GMs have no fucking clue what they're doing when drafting QBs so he will be drafted for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Napoleon said:


I hope that they trade ODBj or bench Baker, so I can actually put ODBj in my lineup.

I am wondering what happened to the Baker Mayfield from the 2nd half of 2018.

 

No.
 


All of those guys are either taller than Sam's real height, are throwers, and/or have a Heisman trophy.

 

 


Sam gets injured EVERY YEAR. And that started in HIGH SCHOOL.

Sam is a really tough hombre made out of mismatched parts and where those parts come together (they don't "fit together") is where he gets hurt. He plays hurt, which is great except for the fact that that means that he's hurt again.

 


Sam's floor is "UDFA who makes a practice squad and has to decide whether he is going to give up his dream of playing QB in the NFL and agree to play fullback/special teams or try to play QB in Canada." THAT is Sam's floor.

Hopefully Sam gets drafted and makes a practice squad for at least a couple of years. Anything above that is gravy. After that, he'll be able to do anything he wants in Austin when he's through with his NFL experiment. The world is Sam's oyster... other than the NFL QB World.

It would be cool to see Sam take a regular season snap someday from the QB position, but simply taking any regular season snaps in the NFL (at any position) is a dream come true for most of us.

Can we please stop discussing Sam Fucking Ehlinger in the thread about this fuckstickcelebrate cleveland browns GIF by SportsManias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Sure, but winning the Super Bowl = Having a bad ass QB

...not that 50% of the teams in the league, especially the Browns, should have the Super Bowl as their immediate goal on draft night.

I have Trent Dilfer holding for you on line 1.  Joe Flacco is holding on line 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Sure, but winning the Super Bowl = Having a bad ass QB

Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlesberger, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim Plunkett, and Doug Williams say hi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

I have Trent Dilfer holding for you on line 1.  Joe Flacco is holding on line 2.

Joe Flacco had the talent for one pretty bad ass run. Same with Eli x2. Having to go back 20 years to Trent Dilfer kind of makes my point, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nnm said:

Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlesberger, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim Plunkett, and Doug Williams say hi. 

Joe Gibbs had that awesome offensive line and recievers. It was just put any dude back there back in those days. Even Jay Schroeder was good on those teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, nnm said:

Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlesberger, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim Plunkett, and Doug Williams say hi. 

Plunked was good coming out of college, but nearly got beaten to death by his shitty OL in New England.  Survived long enough to escape to the Raiders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Joe Gibbs had that awesome offensive line and recievers. It was just put any dude back there back in those days. Even Jay Schroeder was good on those teams.

So where does Joe Theismann fit in? I know he is a HOF, but I give that more to Gibbs/Bugel and that spare Riggins carrying him. Was he really a Troy Aikman level qb?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think tonight is make or break for ole Baker. If they start the season going 0-2 with one of those losses being to the Bengals, AND he looks like shit, I think that’s GG for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

So where does Joe Theismann fit in? I know he is a HOF, but I give that more to Gibbs/Bugel and that spare Riggins carrying him. Was he really a Troy Aikman level qb?

Theismann isn't in Canton. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam should hope to have the career of Chase Daniel.  dude is gonna earn around $48 million for being a backup.  he's only 6 feet tall, and about 230 pounds.  Sam has the same stocky build.  Chase had better passing numbers at Mizzou (more yards, higher completion percentage) than Sam will.  but i don't remember Chase being a remarkable passer.  more of a volume passer.  he threw way more times than Sam ever will and put up some impressive college numbers, but Chase was undrafted.  Sam could be a day 3 go or an undrafted FA and make a nice living.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/chase-daniel-7081/cash-earnings/

i'd take Chase's comfy career as a career backup over Baker's failed career as a 1.1.

Edited by Jive Turkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nnm said:

Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, Ben Roethlesberger, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Jim Plunkett, and Doug Williams say hi. 

If you don't think that Doug Williams was a badass, then you obviously don't follow football.

And his 2nd quarter against the Broncos was one of the best quarters in Super Bowl history. He turned that game into a rout.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.56.50 PM.png

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2x3GI9y-g

Edited by Napoleon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

If you don't think that Doug Williams was a badass, then you obviously don't follow football.

And his 2nd quarter against the Broncos was one of the best quarters in Super Bowl history. He turned that game into a rout.

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 6.56.50 PM.png

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf2x3GI9y-g

Oh I know all about that game. I was a diehard Broncos fan at the time and he broke my heart in the first half. That game alone doomed those timeless unis, which were so much better than anything that came later. 
 

But one badass game does not a badass QB make. His career was one of a journeyman QB at best.  He might have had the ingredients to be a badass, but his early years in Tampa probably ruined him. Then it was off to the USFL over a contract dispute because he was severely underpaid as the only black QB1 in the league. He was brought back to the league to be a backup, which he was the season that he had the career game in the SB. He was only named QB1 for good at the beginning of the playoffs.  He lost his starting gig to the pedestrian Rypien the following season. 
His record as a Washington Football Club QB1 was 8-9 . 42-45-1 overall as a starter.

Not exactly a badass QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nnm said:

Oh I know all about that game. I was a diehard Broncos fan at the time and he broke my heart in the first half. That game alone doomed those timeless unis, which were so much better than anything that came later. 
 

But one badass game does not a badass QB make. His career was one of a journeyman QB at best.  He might have had the ingredients to be a badass, but his early years in Tampa probably ruined him. Then it was off to the USFL over a contract dispute because he was severely underpaid as the only black QB1 in the league. He was brought back to the league to be a backup, which he was the season that he had the career game in the SB. He was only named QB1 for good at the beginning of the playoffs.  He lost his starting gig to the pedestrian Rypien the following season. 
His record as a Washington Football Club QB1 was 8-9 . 42-45-1 overall as a starter.

Not exactly a badass QB. 

You just described a bad ass who started off in a shitty situation, was treated even worse, was brought in to babysit and the was given the keys because he was obviously the best option to win. Then he was replaced by a white guy ASAP. 

Even with all that he broke down barriers and was a stud. 

He should be in the Hall of Fame for what he achieved in spite of everything he had to go through. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back on the subject, except for one throw deep down the middle, Baker seemed like he DID NOT SUCK tonight. He played like he did the 2nd half of 2018. 

How did tonight happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Back on the subject, except for one throw deep down the middle, Baker seemed like he DID NOT SUCK tonight. He played like he did the 2nd half of 2018. 

How did tonight happen?

He played a team that went 2-14 last year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...