Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, after the 4th day of Sarkisian's tenure, what I think we know about Sarkisian's initial staff is:

1. Like with every new head coach, the staff will not meet the dreams of internet fans as initial rumors flew around.
  2. It will be a metric fuckton better than the last two initial staffs.

This ☝🏻🏻🏻

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Well, after the 4th day of Sarkisian's tenure, what I think we know about Sarkisian's initial staff is:

1. Like with every new head coach, the staff will not meet the dreams of internet fans as initial rumors flew around.
  2. It will be a metric fuckton better than the last two initial staffs.

I always forget, is a metric fuckton more or less than an imperial fuckton?

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I can’t really understand how anyone looking at the rumored offensive staff, still with an unknown at TE Coach that could be a recruiting rainmaker, isn’t excited at the obvious massive upgrade it would be if it comes even close to looking like that when it is all said and done. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Longhornlove said:

Yeah the stuff at LSU looks pretty bad, could filter a ton of recruits away from there to here and other places. Maybe Raymond really is interested, I wouldn't blame him, Baton Rouge isn't all that.

Baton Rouge is a bigger shithole than College Station and Norman. 

48 minutes ago, westexhorn said:

no wonder this motherfucker is so successful.  he knows all the little details and gets on the player's asses nonstop.  hope Sark can be this attentive of the details as well as the staff he hires.

He is so tuned in. I especially like his stories. Very relatable bad arse that needs to retire 

The defensive hiring situation is strange. I have a feeling Sark had Muschamp all lined up, along with his picks (Gideon, Hutzler, etc) but then Saban came in and asked him to come to Alabama. Now Sark is having to find a DC that is comfortable with a defensive staff that is already assembled. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

My PC and my employer thanks you for not fucking me over and redirecting to questionable content.  I clicked that link like it was my fucking job.  

Blind loyalty to @immamac is how I roll.

CYBER SECURITY:  ALERT

This Website is Blocked!

The website you are attempting to access has been deemed as inappropriate, potentially malicious, or not permitted on the [company] network.

To better understand why this website has been blocked, please review the following per the [Company shitty IT policy]

If you have a valid business reason to visit this site, please contact the [Bangladeshi support team]

Additional details:
     URL: http://www.hardcorehorns.com/
     Category: unknown
     Client Info: xxx.yyy.zzz.aaa
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

The defensive hiring situation is strange. I have a feeling Sark had Muschamp all lined up, along with his picks (Gideon, Hutzler, etc) but then Saban came in and asked him to come to Alabama. Now Sark is having to find a DC that is comfortable with a defensive staff that is already assembled. 

So where do you think Pete Golding is going? 

Steve Sarkisian has hired former player Blake Gideon to coach special teams for Texas and, apparently, one of the positions in the Texas secondary (likely the safeties).

Gideon gets rave reviews from his former bosses, including Will Muschamp, who worked with Gideon not only during his playing days at Texas but also as a young coach at Florida and South Carolina.

Gideon was also named Special Teams Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop two years ago, although I have to tell you that award is dubious at best.

According to folks at Ole Miss, special teams duties this past year were shared by multiple staff members, as they are in most places across college football, and at Ole Miss there is one off-field coach who was actually more responsible for the gameday calls.

But I digress. I’m not really concerned with Gideon’s ability to coach all of the special teams. I’m sure that responsibility will be shared by multiple staff members both on and off the field.

Rather, I think Gideon’s hire tells us two important things and gives us a glimpse into Sarkisian’s larger thinking.

First, Sarkisian is not afraid to hire relatively younger coaches in important roles. Sarkisian is also bringing with him 34- AJ Milwee as quarterback coach.

Second, Gideon’s hire is a nod to Texas football and its heritage and provides institutional knowledge to a staff unlikely to have much of it. With coaches Oscar Giles and Jay Boulware unlikely to return, Sarkisian still recognizes the need for institutional knowledge of the University and the state and he definitely gets that in Gideon. Remember, Gideon’s father, Steve, is a long-time Texas high school coach, so I’m not only talking about knowledge of the university but of the state’s all-important high school coaching fraternity.

Given the high marks Muschamp and others have bestowed on Gideon as a coach, and the background Gideon has playing at Texas and for a national championship, I feel like Sarkisian’s hire of Gideon was particularly astute.

Now, if Gideon would have just made that interception against Texas Tech. (I know that’s what most of you were thinking when his name first came up about the job.)

There is talk that the national championship game could be delayed by a week because of Covid.

That certainly wouldn’t be advantageous to Texas.

The sooner Sarkisian and staff arrive in Austin and focus entirely on the Longhorns, the better.

While there’s not a ton of recruiting left for the class of 2021, there’s enough that could impact team depth down the road, or in the case of a player or two, depth next year.

Once Sarkisian arrives in Austin, recruiting will be an interesting topic.

Whoever Sarkisian selects as defensive coordinator will likely dictate which player or players the Horns try to sign on that side of the ball.

On offense, outside of LJ Johnson and the continued recruitment of Keithron Lee, we’ll see exactly where the new staff sees a need.

Make sure you read Gerry Hamilton’s article this morning concerning recruiting. I think it’s a valuable one and kind of lays out the overal strategy and important recruits to know initially.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 1/4/2021 at 3:16 PM, thunderlounge said:

This. Although curious about some of the minor names that would be Boom people. He may be contacting them, but maybe for Georgia? Did he really turn us down?

Exactly my first thought. 

I could help out on occasion. Not every week, but now and then. Even if it’s a “break” and reading just reading stats/scores/whatever. 

Georgia.   If sark and saban already chatted about staff allocation I think free agents were discussed 

9 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Georgia.   If sark and saban already chatted about staff allocation I think free agents were discussed 

Was this before or after they did each other's hair?

Seriously?  You think Saban and Sark agreed on what free agent coaches Sark is allowed to chase?  Having some respect as to who he poaches from Sabans staff is one thing but there is no reason they would have any conversation about what coaches outside of Bama that he is allowed to hire?

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Was this before or after they did each other's hair?

Seriously?  You think Saban and Sark agreed on what free agent coaches Sark is allowed to chase?  Having some respect as to who he poaches from Sabans staff is one thing but there is no reason they would have any conversation about what coaches outside of Bama that he is allowed to hire?

it looks like most of the offensive staff has only been on board since Sark came on board, so it's a bit of a team/system. the new guy will reload with guys that fit his system

I think you may be right.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the receivers coaches mentioned in Wiggins, Colbert, or Martin. 

Martin is the best recruiter of the bunch but not as good at the details of the position.

Wiggins is the best technical receiver coach of the three but the worst recruiter of the three. Having that Heisman winner under his belt will help him a ton in recruiting.

Colbert is good recruiter and good coach and best all around of the three which would make you think hey just hire him. 

With the above said about Colbert I think the continuity of a Sark/Flood/Wiggins hire is stronger than going out and grabbing the best individual coach. It will allow our offense to progress faster in learning what they need to learn. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1