Sark after dark COACHING STAFF thread

closetohumping

4 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So - if its not Golding, and Scott isn't coming with him, why the fuck is Sark ghosting Corey Raymond?

Is Steele really the choice here?

I know the OL has been dog shit for years and that hire is incredibly important - but the DC hire has to be the most important one Sark makes on this first staff, right?  A few of the bigger names have already made decisions on their futures - did Muschamp saying 'no' cause this process to reset, and with Sark preparing for Title Game cause a 'pause' on the search.  Am I being a little saty bitch expecting all of the hires to be wrapped up by today? 

At the end of the day, Sark is going to try and get the best guys available that fit his vision for the team. So, patience is a virtue in closing. Another thing to remember is that Texas is a huge unknown for coaches and some may not want the headache despite the money whip. Texas has a ton of potential and not everyone is cutout to handle it. It’s great when it’s good, and terrible when it’s bad. Money is not everything, and the top coaches have to believe in the guy more than just taking the cash. If Sark doesn’t land a guy, it’s not necessarily his fault. Here’s to Sark putting together teams that make those coaches, that don’t come, regret that decision. 🤘🏼

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

From the IT board:

From Saban’s postgame presser:

What kind of job did Sark do finding a way to get play-makers in position to make plays?

He does a fabulous job. He's done a fabulous job all year long. He had got a great plan, does a great job preparing the players. He does a really good job of calling a game. He knows what the other team is doing, knows how to attack it, knows where to put the players to put them in position to be able to make those plays against what the other team is doing.

He has just done a fantastic job this year. I can't even tell you. Can't even put into words what a great job he's done, how much confidence the players have in the plan and the execution. He's really helped Mac, as well, I think. Mac had a phenomenal year.

Our offense was really the key to the success of this team. We're an okay defensive team, not a great defensive team. We played well enough, got enough stops. But the offense was dynamic. That's what made the difference.

Get a competent DC hire and let the potent offense win games. Sign me up!

16 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

So - if its not Golding, and Scott isn't coming with him, why the fuck is Sark ghosting Corey Raymond?

Is Steele really the choice here?

I know the OL has been dog shit for years and that hire is incredibly important - but the DC hire has to be the most important one Sark makes on this first staff, right?  A few of the bigger names have already made decisions on their futures - did Muschamp saying 'no' cause this process to reset, and with Sark preparing for Title Game cause a 'pause' on the search.  Am I being a little saty bitch expecting all of the hires to be wrapped up by today? 

Lot of buzz around Knoxville that Steele is going to Tennessee in some capacity. 

I’ve heard talk that more announcements are likely to come tomorrow versus today. I guess I struggle to buy that outside of where someone is not already locked in as a coach. The psychology of making someone official matters, and you’d prefer to be able to proclaim guys as part of the answer before anyone else can potentially reach out. It just takes unnecessary risk off the table to announce quickly. I will be disappointed if we don’t see a flurry of announcements before or around lunchtime. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Duane Moore said:

Lot of buzz around Knoxville that Steele is going to Tennessee in some capacity. 

He senses blood in the water. Can definitely take over when they push Pruitt out if he's the new guy with no violations.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I’ve heard talk that more announcements are likely to come tomorrow versus today. I guess I struggle to buy that outside of where someone is already locked in as a coach. The psychology of making someone official matters, and you’d prefer to be able to proclaim guys as part of the answer before anyone else can potentially reach out. It just takes unnecessary risk off the table to announce quickly. I will be disappointed if we don’t see a flurry of announcements before or around lunchtime. 

Agree completely. Why wait and allow for speculation and articles to come out like "Texas misses on multiple defensive coordinator candidates." Those types of articles are already probably written and just waiting for the publish button to be pressed. 

6 minutes ago, GeoffE said:

He senses blood in the water. Can definitely take over when they push Pruitt out if he's the new guy with no violations.

Former Tennessee player, knows Fulmer well, was on Fulmer’s short list along with Mel Tucker in 2017 when he hired Pruitt. Knows Pruitt pretty well too, although it remains to be seen whether he Pruitt will survive to next year. If Fulmer tries to make Steele the HC, they may have another Schiano-like uprising. Some talk of bringing in Doug Marrone. It’s a complete mess. 

7 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Flight from Opa-Locka is in the air. Who is headed to ABIA to see who gets off the plane? 

I won’t be back in Austin until Friday am, as my oldest wants to check out The Castilian for housing this Fall (<damn right it’s “humblebrag”, I’m damn proud of her (no pics!) as she made it in to McCombs)/ Anyway unless they take the scenic route, I’ll miss them by about 84 hours...Next Man Up! 

Edited by NTVTXN
*or Woman!
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mo Horn said:

Press conference scheduled for 4:00 this afternoon

I assume it will be on LHN. But for those who don't have the channel, you should be able to watch it here.

"University of Texas leadership will officially introduce Sarkisian as the Longhorns head coach on Tuesday. You can watch Sarkisian’s introductory press conference live in this story on KXAN.com."

https://www.kxan.com/sports/steve-sarkisian-officially-takes-hold-of-longhorns-program-hours-after-winning-national-title/

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, CoachTex said:

Or does it mean they are on a plane heading to Austin right now?

Well there was a flight from Columbia SC yesterday to Opa-Locka if anybody wants to be conspiratorial, and think Muschamp is coming with him. I don't think that's the case, but who knows. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Daichee Bell said:

FWIW, On the Horn, Brian Davis said DC is still in the air. Meeting with Ash. I find that hard to believe. 

So would he keep safeties? Joseph to CBs and then we hire Tosh for LBs or keep Hutzler?

DC/S: Ash

DL: Davis

LB: ??

CB: Joseph

ST: Gideon

Edited by GeoffE

35 minutes ago, sdm said:

Yes, it's true. This man has no dick.

Technically, no, it's not true. Technically he has a "dick" ... of sorts. However, its lengthlessness and girthlessness are such that most women are equipped with a clitoris that is considerably more dickish, and that includes not only Pole Assassin but South Austin's Mom. 

Edited by Tex Long
too cold to type good

Just now, Bevo said:

Longhorn’s defensive coordinator better do a better job than tOSU’s. TOSU linebackers defending seam routes of wide receivers was pretty funny in a sad sort of way.

Coombs is not a good DC. He's a badass recruiter and DB coach, but not a DC. The fact that they went into last night's game thinking they could stick with their base 4-3 against Bama should be cause for automatic termination.

• Hook 'Em 2

FWIW, On the Horn, Brian Davis said DC is still in the air. Meeting with Ash. I’d be ok with that but still find that hard to believe. 

It’d be one thing to come back and discuss Ash staying on if you’d just ran the job by Muschamp and he passed. It’s another entirely to try to get in to stay after showing varying degrees of interest in several candidates, hiring position coaches, and Ash starting to talk with other programs. That doesn’t make sense. We’ll see I guess.

1 minute ago, GeoffE said:

Coombs is not a good DC. He's a badass recruiter and DB coach, but not a DC. The fact that they went into last night's game thinking they could stick with their base 4-3 against Bama should be cause for automatic termination.

LBs were the only healthy position group.  DL and DB numbers were decimated by injury and COVID absences