Critical Race Theory policy in hiring at UT

PHLaggie

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

“Sohcahtoa was the Indian lady who guided Lewis and Clark, right” - conservatives, probably

I mean if you asked them about sine cosine and tangent, they’d think that’s when two people sign for furniture from NFM and then yell at the delivery guy about illegal immigrants and gays making life hard on them. They signed, co-signed, and went on a tangent.

Edited by hpslugga
  • Haha 3

On 10/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, HenryJames said:

Guess what, Kay? I am setting up an Alabama Homeschool Consortium where not only will I teach the children to HATE, but also to use trident, net, shield, and gladius. You'll know my little wolf-cubs when they are ripping apart your soft untrained lambs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Guess what, Kay? I am setting up an Alabama Homeschool Consortium where not only will I teach the children to HATE, but also to use trident, net, shield, and gladius. You'll know my little wolf-cubs when they are ripping apart your soft untrained lambs.

OMG I love you.

Can I be Professor of the Cussing and Hollering Arts?
  • Haha 1

Cultural appropriation trig teacher may be out of a job soon, but those kids as well as kids and adults around the country will likely never forget that mnemonic. You may question the appropriateness of her racist methods, but you can’t deny their effectiveness.

Would a racial slur be appropriate when teaching quadratic equations? Of course not! Would the students ever forget the lesson? These are the questions that keep racist educators up at night.

• Rage+1 1

19 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Is it any wonder so many kids are disrespectful of teachers and other authority figures when one observes the way their parents misbehave in public?

If you read up on the history of the integration bussing in Boston during the 1970s, some of the parent group names like Powder Keg and ROAR (restore our alienated rights) and the Charlestown Defense Fund sound  like IRA groups. So, I don't know that domestic terrorists was that much of a stretch considering what those same folks were calling black parents who protested from Reconstruction to the present day.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Mole said:

Cultural appropriation trig teacher may be out of a job soon, but those kids as well as kids and adults around the country will likely never forget that mnemonic. You may question the appropriateness of her racist methods, but you can’t deny their effectiveness.

Would a racial slur be appropriate when teaching quadratic equations? Of course not! Would the students ever forget the lesson? These are the questions that keep racist educators up at night.

If you think the answer is x=5, test your answer by replacing x with 5 in the original equation and if it's still true, your answer is correct. So remember, boys and girls, the Jews can never replace us, but 5 can replace x.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

Everything is a handshake deal with lifetime employment and long afternoons sipping Scotch in the break room discussing the dialectic. 

Can we count on you?

I'm in.  I've worked at startups for the last 29 years, I'm acutely aware of lifetime, leisurely contracts.

Do I get a teaching assistant?  And what is her name?

10 hours ago, Mole said:

Freshman year of high school, algebra class I think. Teacher is going over a perimeter problem. Gets sidetracked talking about how he does some similar equation for his roof to put up his blue Christmas lights. He pauses when he’s done, and says “now the only thing y’all are ever going to remember about that problem is that I have blue Christmas lights”. Over a dozen years later and that’s the only thing I remember about that class. Csb.

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

CrItIcAl RaCe ThEoRy

I mean, that's comforting.  We all know that our grid will fail again next time it gets cold, and we'll need a way to keep warm.  These fine folks are just looking out for us, drawing on lessons learned 80 years ago or so....

16792630_101.jpg

23 minutes ago, NWBuck said:

SIAP

Lol, I love Alex Wagner.  Patti seems like a real smart one.

I was skeptical of the claim that Loudoun County was the wealthiest in the country.  Lo, tis true.  In fact, all of the counties surrounding DC are among the richest in the country.  That seems very wrong.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Listened to that again, and it becomes pretty clear that Patti thinks it's only racism if you say it out loud.  Y'know, silly things.

But if you don't say those silly things, and you talk about it less, you won't notice it as much.

I wonder if Patti listened to herself.

I also wonder if she makes a big dot over her i.

18 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Lol, I love Alex Wagner.  Patti seems like a real smart one.

I was skeptical of the claim that Loudoun County was the wealthiest in the country.  Lo, tis true.  In fact, all of the counties surrounding DC are among the richest in the country.  That seems very wrong.

I have nothing to add except that I'm guessing that Patti's middle name is Karen.  And csb alert...I met Alex Wagner at UT a few years back and she is absolutely stunning in person, and fucking hilarious to boot. 

On 10/24/2021 at 11:55 AM, RDCanecutter said:

So.... Trial by combat?

3 hours ago, HenryJames said:

This left wing political correctness is out of control.

"black people couldn't use a drop box in 1984 and can still vote by going on to the precinct on election day so no disparate impact"

- sam alito, actually

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

That's a very odd course description.  "Progress" in mathematics would presumably be measured as expanding the field at the extremes.  However, this course is limited to 1st-year students, the overwhelming majority of whom would not have the background to comprehend advanced mathematics, particularly with "high school algebra" as the only prerequisite.

I wonder if what they are referring to is the TEACHING of mathematics, which is a completely different animal?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

That's a very odd course description.  "Progress" in mathematics would presumably be measured as expanding the field at the extremes.  However, this course is limited to 1st-year students, the overwhelming majority of whom would not have the background to comprehend advanced mathematics, particularly with "high school algebra" as the only prerequisite.

I wonder if what they are referring to is the TEACHING of mathematics, which is a completely different animal?

I googled "accessible mathematics" and that seems to be the case (teaching).

• 1 month later...

Why is it that Republicans and Fox report the slimmest of possibilities as "news?"  PHLaggie at least tells us right up front that his news is sheer speculation when the term "if this is true...."

I look back at the 2010 elections when the GOP ran on "death panels" (which never ever were a possibility nor ever existed.")

That Obama who went to church every week was really a muslim, and Trump was a Christian, because he never went to church... based on what? Skin color?

Now the GOP has again ginned up the misinformation machine with their latest self created lie, Critical Race Theory. No let's be clear here CRT does exist, at the college level in as something that could be discussed.  BUT NOT AS PART OF ANY FUCKING CURRICULUM.  What this is about is again ginning up the racism that so permeates the Republican party.  As I often say, not all Republicans are racist, but the vast majority of Racist are Republican.

I understand why the GOP prefers to focus on lies, as if they focus on facts, it's a losing battle for a minority party.  And yes the GOP is a minority party.  But they can win narrow electoral victories in Presidential races while losing the Popular vote by millions.  In fact unless you are 60+ years old you have never, ever participated in an election where a Republican Presidential candidate has won a first term election with the majority of the voters approval.  The last Republican President to win a first term with the popular vote..........   Ronald fucking Reagan.

That is why the GOP want fewer folks participating in Democracy, and they want small groups (of nearly exclusively old white men) in State governments to choose Electors rather then the voters choosing them.

Sad the GOP is a party based on lies, and CRT is just another in a long line of misinformation, gobbled up by Republicans.  Because... it's race based...

• Like 2