Texas BBQ

Washpark

27 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

The owner, who is also the meat cutter, of Cattleack would bust your balls for doing this.  I don't think he really cared how long you took, I think he just got annoyed by stupid people.  He wasn't quite as bad as the soup nazzi about it, but he could be pretty intimidating.  Lucky for him, his wife is the cashier and she's lovely, so she makes up for him and you feel pretty good once you're through.

he is absolutely surly on his best days.

The lunch line at Roegels moves pretty well. Probably to accommodate the business crowd that only has an hour or so. They have everything ready to go at 11 am, the counter guy takes your order and shouts it back to the cutter. The cashier rings you up while they’re making your plate. 

It’s not hard folks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hell, Aaron Franklin spent way too much time gabbing with customers, at least a few years ago.  I know this isn't rocket science, but Aaron, you're paying the help by the hour.  If you sell out by 11 AM instead of 1 PM, you pocket more money.  Infuriating.  I haven't been back in years because his food isn't good enough to justify the wait.  There isn't a bite of food on this planet worth me standing in line for 4 hours.

This right here. I guess the queue can be part of the overall experience if that’s what you want. It’s just not for me. 15 min is about as long as I can wait.

10 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Some of the slow lines are the fault of the idiot customers who don’t know what the fuck they want. They have been in line, usually can see the menu for at least 10 minutes, yet get to the counter and figure out what they want, like a bunch of children. I was actually just laughing about this with one of the ladies at Tejas that was at the chocolate counter. She rolled her eyes in agreement. I get to the register m, order and pay in less than 2 minutes.

68BC3A24-4993-4E30-83D8-54E71480625F.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/25/2021 at 10:42 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

LA, Truth in Brenham, Killen's, and many other places are guilty of shitty line management. Maybe the meat cutter doesn't need to give samples to every person in line and then have a 10 minute conversation with them before the cashier rings them up. Some people like the experience of standing in line. This is the most bizarre element of the BBQ Culture to me. Free beer is great, but it's not a tailgate if there's no food.

I understand some places manage their lines much better, and the pitmasters come out and greets everyone after they sell out of meat. This is a much better system. 

Glad you brought this up.  I used to live in NYC and hated this about some restaurants and bars....line outside, you wait a couple minutes, then they let you into a bar that was half full, like if there was social distancing in early 2000s.  They made you wait juuuust long enough for someone else to come in line and replace you to create false perception of demand.  Rinse and repeat.

Anyways, I feel bbq places have the anti-chicfila culture as well and drives me nuts.

Just now, Hornbeliever said:

Glad you brought this up.  I used to live in NYC and hated this about some restaurants and bars....line outside, you wait a couple minutes, then they let you into a bar that was half full, like if there was social distancing in early 2000s.  They made you wait juuuust long enough for someone else to come in line and replace you to create false perception of demand.  Rinse and repeat.

Anyways, I feel bbq places have the anti-chicfila culture as well and drives me nuts.

Katz's Deli in NYC manages their line pretty well. They're constantly slammed, but their line moves. It starts at the counter. You better know what you want to order or they'll treat you like a moron. They're also primarily a cash business. I think there's one special register in the back that takes credit cards. 

I know apples and oranges. New York City rude deli vs hospitable, laid back Texas BBQ joints. My point is, it's possible serve good food quickly while getting a unique experience. 

Katz's Deli in NYC manages their line pretty well. They're constantly slammed, but their line moves. It starts at the counter. You better know what you want to order or they'll treat you like a moron. They're also primarily a cash business. I think there's one special register in the back that takes credit cards. 
I know apples and oranges. New York City rude deli vs hospitable, laid back Texas BBQ joints. My point is, it's possible serve good food quickly while getting a unique experience. 
I went to Katz's by myself on a business trip and was nervous I'd fuck up my order. All I wanted was a pastrami on rye with mustard and a beer so I managed to get through with only the guy giving me shit about how to pronounce Houston.

15 hours ago, Landomatic said:

The owner, who is also the meat cutter, of Cattleack would bust your balls for doing this.  I don't think he really cared how long you took, I think he just got annoyed by stupid people.  He wasn't quite as bad as the soup nazzi about it, but he could be pretty intimidating.  Lucky for him, his wife is the cashier and she's lovely, so she makes up for him and you feel pretty good once you're through.

Todd made my wife cry a few years ago lmao my wife will look at a menu for an hour and have absolutely no idea what she wants to eat

On 1/25/2021 at 9:36 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Hell, Aaron Franklin spent way too much time gabbing with customers, at least a few years ago.  I know this isn't rocket science, but Aaron, you're paying the help by the hour.  If you sell out by 11 AM instead of 1 PM, you pocket more money.  Infuriating.  I haven't been back in years because his food isn't good enough to justify the wait.  There isn't a bite of food on this planet worth me standing in line for 4 hours.

I have talked @ length with Aaron about line management thing, speed, etc. & essentially it's about managing the dining space as well.  His thoughts are the longer you pause @ the counter, the better potential is for someone in the few seats available to get up & go.
If you want speed, schedule your order & pick it up, then go somewhere else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ROFL BOX said:

I have talked @ length with Aaron about line management thing, speed, etc. & essentially it's about managing the dining space as well.  His thoughts are the longer you pause @ the counter, the better potential is for someone in the few seats available to get up & go.
If you want speed, schedule your order & pick it up, then go somewhere else.

Were you in line when these conversations took place?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4

20 hours ago, Okie State said:

I went to Katz's by myself on a business trip and was nervous I'd fuck up my order. All I wanted was a pastrami on rye with mustard and a beer so I managed to get through with only the guy giving me shit about how to pronounce Houston.

Youston or Howston? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I went to Truth today under the lie that I was celebrating shipping the first batch of my photo book I put out. The cutter and manager recognize me at this point. That might be a problem. The cutter gave me half a lbs then cut up some burnt ends and threw those on the tray for free. It was going to be way too much, but no bbq should be left behind. As I sat down I remember I had just ate bbq on Monday with deadshank. I might need salads for a month.

spacer.png
spacer.png

dang

nothing wrong w/ being recognized. i miss having that and talking shop with Jordan and Scott @ Bodacious on Mobberly.

good times

• Like 1

I went to Truth today under the lie that I was celebrating shipping the first batch of my photo book I put out. The cutter and manager recognize me at this point. That might be a problem. The cutter gave me half a lbs then cut up some burnt ends and threw those on the tray for free. It was going to be way too much, but no bbq should be left behind. As I sat down I remember I had just ate bbq on Monday with deadshank. I might need salads for a month.

Wz4F6B3s_o.jpeg
iwEbGIfb_o.jpeg

Thanks for the invite...pal.
  • Like 1

Wz4F6B3s_o.jpeg
iwEbGIfb_o.jpeg

Thanks for the invite...pal. I’m gonna remember this.

2 Guys 1 Pit in Houston was pretty solid

3 meat plate: brisket ribs sausage (fuck ordering anything else). Coleslaw and beans for sides

Brisket was great, sausage was fucking tits, ribs sucked. Coleslaw was not my jam, beans were average. Good prices and pickup only took a few seconds. Will def. return

3 meat plate: brisket ribs sausage (fuck ordering anything else). Coleslaw and beans for sides

Brisket was great, sausage was fucking tits, ribs sucked. Coleslaw was not my jam, beans were average. Good prices and pickup only took a few seconds. Will def. return

I have a review up thread maybe 6 months ago. Also thought it was pretty good but with Tejas about 10 minutes away, it’s an easy choice for me. But certainly better than Rudy’s.

21 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No bread to soak up that sausage grease? Negged.

21 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Getting started on a no bread diet.   I denied the offer.  

Bread ranks dead last at BBQ joints for prioritizing available space in your stomach.  Neg to anyone wasting valuable stomach space on generic bread when there are much better options readily available.  Now, if you find yourself at a joint where the bread is better than the meats and sides, like in Kansas City or something, then...well, you should leave.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 10:02 PM, HRSchenker said:

Todd made my wife cry a few years ago lmao my wife will look at a menu for an hour and have absolutely no idea what she wants to eat

At a certain point, say 30-40 seconds; the meat cutter should be able to just make a 'cutter's choice plate.'  It's like dealing with little kids, "Have your mind made up at the moment of truth, or I'm ordering for you..."

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Bread ranks dead last at BBQ joints for prioritizing available space in your stomach.  Neg to anyone wasting valuable stomach space on generic bread when there are much better options readily available.  Now, if you find yourself at a joint where the bread is better than the meats and sides, like in Kansas City or something, then...well, you should leave.

I feel the same about people who can't get a joke.

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

At a certain point, say 30-40 seconds; the meat cutter should be able to just make a 'cutter's choice plate.'  It's like dealing with little kids, "Have your mind made up at the moment of truth, or I'm ordering for you..."

Surprised JM didn't implement that policy.  Would have gone well with his "Customer is Always Wrong" theme.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Is it a bad time to admit how much I used to love the County Line wheat bread with honey butter?

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/4/2021 at 7:09 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

ive picked up food from there twice (on way to a buddy's place), it's not bad at all. in fact, both times it was pretty good. ribs could use a little more time on the pit but the taste is there