Jump to content
PilotsError

Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Do the gravel trucks really not have any liability for damage caused from thrown rocks?

No. Take them to court. They will pay damages because that's the law. The problem is proving that particular truck caused the damages. Luckily I have a dashboard camera. A stone took out an entire headlight assembly. Just the wiring harness remained. A little bit higher and inside and I'd have been a goner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Do the gravel trucks really not have any liability for damage caused from thrown rocks?

Good question. I know those signs are plastered all over the back of those trucks. One, telling you to be at least 200 feet back. Which makes sense and is common sense. I've seen stories of people getting killed or seriously hurt following behind those trucks and some jagged rocks come through their windshield. If you are tailing one of those and a rock comes out and damages your car or yourself, maybe they are off the hook. It is still a dangerous way to transport loose gravel, though. I get nervous as hell when I am passing those.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Good question. I know those signs are plastered all over the back of those trucks. One, telling you to be at least 200 feet back.

Try reading that sign from 200 feet back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do the gravel trucks really not have any liability for damage caused from thrown rocks?


Rocks that fell off the bed/trailer- yes

Rocks that were already on the road and get picked up by their tires (assuming they have mud flaps installed) - not liable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Rocks that fell off the bed/trailer- yes

Rocks that were already on the road and get picked up by their tires (assuming they have mud flaps installed) - not liable
Correct, it's called failure to secure load.

There's your hanging curve for the mom jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/15/2018 at 7:52 PM, qwertyu1234 said:

I'm not from the lone star state and on here i've heard a lot about east Texas and always with a negative connotation, but not a lot of explanation. What makes it so bad?

East Texas isn’t horrible but it’s just an odd mix of people from old oil money families to the newer waves of relocated Louisiana natives from Hurricanes.  Many act and think they are in the Deep South and we have churches on every corner and they control far too much in local government.  Growing up there we would have to drive across town to get beer because and some random blue law zoning restriction and they successfully banned MTV from our cable.  Not to mention that most are hypocrites and love to talk about sinners and the evils of drinking and gambling on Sunday morning but spend their time getting hammered and losing their paychecks over in Shreveport on Friday (when it’s not THSFB season).  The women are generally gaudy with bad highlights, too tight clothing and the infamous ETBF (East Texas Box Face).  They love Smirnoff winecoolers and putting Malibu rum in their Sonic slushy while smoking Marbolo 27’s. The guys love to pretend that they are cowboys though very few actually do anything resembling farm/ranch work and wear boots, big belt buckles, with a trucker’s hat and carry unnecessary big pocket knives which they make a point to mention that it’s the largest legal length they can carry.  They drink basic light beer and dip more often than they smoke and drive around town in their lifted pick up trucks with modified exhaust that you can still hear long after they are out of sight.  Many never leave and a surpring number that go to school outside of East Texas still end up returning to spawn and repopulate the piney woods with a next generation of townies.  They get defensive if you call them small town but take an odd pride from being call hicks or redneck and most will cheer for which ever Texas based team’s bandwagon they can hop on and claim they’ve been lifelong fans despite no true ties other than living in the same state.  Many think aggy is a better school than Rice, because their and will openly wonder why kids choose to go to Michigan or Stanford when they can get the same quality of education in a wholesome healthy environment like a College Station.  I’m sure I could add more but I’ll stop here and hope I’ve answered your question.

Edited by TKthunder2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was manscaping with my fireplace lighter in my garage and tracked the burned hair smell into my house.  I showered and rinsed with diluted vinegar, but i can still kinda smell it where my armpit hair used to be.  Tips?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Growing up there we would have to drive across town to get beer because and some random blue law zoning restriction and they successfully banned MTV from our cable.

brother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, LongestHorn said:

I was manscaping with my fireplace lighter in my garage and tracked the burned hair smell into my house.  I showered and rinsed with diluted vinegar, but i can still kinda smell it where my armpit hair used to be.  Tips?

Maybe don't burn hair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 1:19 AM, LongestHorn said:

I was manscaping with my fireplace lighter in my garage and tracked the burned hair smell into my house.  I showered and rinsed with diluted vinegar, but i can still kinda smell it where my armpit hair used to be.  Tips?

Tomato Juice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 12:58 AM, TKthunder2 said:

East Texas isn’t horrible but it’s just an odd mix of people from old oil money families to the newer waves of relocated Louisiana natives from Hurricanes.  Many act and think they are in the Deep South and we have churches on every corner and they control far too much in local government.  Growing up there we would have to drive across town to get beer because and some random blue law zoning restriction and they successfully banned MTV from our cable.  Not to mention that most are hypocrites and love to talk about sinners and the evils of drinking and gambling on Sunday morning but spend their time getting hammered and losing their paychecks over in Shreveport on Friday (when it’s not THSFB season).  The women are generally gaudy with bad highlights, too tight clothing and the infamous ETBF (East Texas Box Face).  They love Smirnoff winecoolers and putting Malibu rum in their Sonic slushy while smoking Marbolo 27’s. The guys love to pretend that they are cowboys though very few actually do anything resembling farm/ranch work and wear boots, big belt buckles, with a trucker’s hat and carry unnecessary big pocket knives which they make a point to mention that it’s the largest legal length they can carry.  They drink basic light beer and dip more often than they smoke and drive around town in their lifted pick up trucks with modified exhaust that you can still hear long after they are out of sight.  Many never leave and a surpring number that go to school outside of East Texas still end up returning to spawn and repopulate the piney woods with a next generation of townies.  They get defensive if you call them small town but take an odd pride from being call hicks or redneck and most will cheer for which ever Texas based team’s bandwagon they can hop on and claim they’ve been lifelong fans despite no true ties other than living in the same state.  Many think aggy is a better school than Rice, because their and will openly wonder why kids choose to go to Michigan or Stanford when they can get the same quality of education in a wholesome healthy environment like a College Station.  I’m sure I could add more but I’ll stop here and hope I’ve answered your question.

yes you answered it well

pos rep (does anyone say that anymore here?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 7:19 AM, LongestHorn said:

I was manscaping with my fireplace lighter in my garage and tracked the burned hair smell into my house.  I showered and rinsed with diluted vinegar, but i can still kinda smell it where my armpit hair used to be.  Tips?

Don't be a dumbass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 2:08 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Good question. I know those signs are plastered all over the back of those trucks. One, telling you to be at least 200 feet back. Which makes sense and is common sense. I've seen stories of people getting killed or seriously hurt following behind those trucks and some jagged rocks come through their windshield. If you are tailing one of those and a rock comes out and damages your car or yourself, maybe they are off the hook. It is still a dangerous way to transport loose gravel, though. I get nervous as hell when I am passing those.

If one stays back 200 feet then theoretically no one could ever pass a gravel truck.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 10:58 PM, Rusty Shackelford said:

 


Rocks that fell off the bed/trailer- yes

Rocks that were already on the road and get picked up by their tires (assuming they have mud flaps installed) - not liable

 

Here is a compilation of flying rocks:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2018 at 2:19 AM, LongestHorn said:

I was manscaping with my fireplace lighter in my garage and tracked the burned hair smell into my house.  I showered and rinsed with diluted vinegar, but i can still kinda smell it where my armpit hair used to be.  Tips?

Have your boyfriend wax your body hair instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 11:58 PM, TKthunder2 said:

East Texas isn’t horrible but it’s just an odd mix of people from old oil money families to the newer waves of relocated Louisiana natives from Hurricanes.  Many act and think they are in the Deep South and we have churches on every corner and they control far too much in local government.  Growing up there we would have to drive across town to get beer because and some random blue law zoning restriction and they successfully banned MTV from our cable.  Not to mention that most are hypocrites and love to talk about sinners and the evils of drinking and gambling on Sunday morning but spend their time getting hammered and losing their paychecks over in Shreveport on Friday (when it’s not THSFB season).  The women are generally gaudy with bad highlights, too tight clothing and the infamous ETBF (East Texas Box Face).  They love Smirnoff winecoolers and putting Malibu rum in their Sonic slushy while smoking Marbolo 27’s. The guys love to pretend that they are cowboys though very few actually do anything resembling farm/ranch work and wear boots, big belt buckles, with a trucker’s hat and carry unnecessary big pocket knives which they make a point to mention that it’s the largest legal length they can carry.  They drink basic light beer and dip more often than they smoke and drive around town in their lifted pick up trucks with modified exhaust that you can still hear long after they are out of sight.  Many never leave and a surpring number that go to school outside of East Texas still end up returning to spawn and repopulate the piney woods with a next generation of townies.  They get defensive if you call them small town but take an odd pride from being call hicks or redneck and most will cheer for which ever Texas based team’s bandwagon they can hop on and claim they’ve been lifelong fans despite no true ties other than living in the same state.  Many think aggy is a better school than Rice, because their and will openly wonder why kids choose to go to Michigan or Stanford when they can get the same quality of education in a wholesome healthy environment like a College Station.  I’m sure I could add more but I’ll stop here and hope I’ve answered your question.

I've spent about 48 hours in East Texas in my lifetime, and this strongly correlates with my limited observation.  Well done, sir.

Also, the bolded section is unfortunately accurate across a much wider swath of America than just east Texas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is a criminal record called a "rap" sheet or even why is "rap" used to describe being guilty? Is it some derivative or "rep"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Why is a criminal record called a "rap" sheet or even why is "rap" used to describe being guilty? Is it some derivative or "rep"?

A rap sheet is a record of criminal charges wherein the suspect couldn’t prove his innocence before the "rap" of the gavel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Why is a criminal record called a "rap" sheet or even why is "rap" used to describe being guilty? Is it some derivative or "rep"?

RAP was originally derived as an acronym for Record of Arrests and Prosecutions.  Depending on the jurisdiction and its law enforcement/criminal justice policies and procedures, the modern RAP sheet may include or exclude some arrests, prosecutions, verdicts, etc., but generally still remains true.

Technically it is possible for an individual to have a RAP sheet and not be guilty, but in common parlance, a small number of arrests with no guilty verdicts does not 'qualify' as a RAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Whitman said:

A rap artist is a record of criminal charges wherein the suspect couldn’t prove his innocence before the "rap" of the gavel.

Or something like that. Tried to fix, failed. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I was at the pool today and I overhear these two guys, who arrived together, bitching for at least an hour about their guy troubles. Apparently neither of them can get a guy to stick around. 

I guess my question is; why don’t these dudes just hook up with each other and solve the problem?  I know that in the hetero world that usually works when a guy and girl are “friends.”  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually when I talk about wanting to buy something, the ads for that very item start showing up in my apps, like the phone knows what’s happening. Lately, I’ve been getting ads for understanding the symptoms of kidney cancer. Is the phone trying to tell me I have kidney cancer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

What is the best app/site for uploading photos to Surly?

Tapa works great, it the only reason I use it now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 3:13 PM, El Diablo said:

Why is a criminal record called a "rap" sheet or even why is "rap" used to describe being guilty? Is it some derivative or "rep"?

Maybe a better question is why is "rap" even considered music?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I guess my question is; why don’t these dudes just hook up with each other and solve the problem?


They have.

One prob a twunk/twank versatile and the other more of a bear/otter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Maybe a better question is why is "rap" even considered music?

Because it meets all the criteria of music? I'd probably start there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Because it meets all the criteria of music? I'd probably start there.

Except the part about the vocalist hitting more than one note.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Except the part about the vocalist hitting more than one note.

So because it isn't to your liking, it isn't music? Got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

Maybe a better question is why is "rap" even considered music?

Rap is a method of vocalization. It's not a musical style. It's typically associated with hip-hop music but it's not exclusive to that style. The two terms often get used interchangeably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, woohorn said:

They have.

One prob a twunk/twank versatile and the other more of a bear/otter.

twunk/twank and otter sound like things made up on always sunny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2018 at 11:59 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Why is a gun called a strap and having a gun on you called 'being strapped'?

Probably for the same reason that a gun is called an arm, as in firearm, but when you’re carrying it you are armed. Nouns can turn into verbs and adjectives. 

Edited by TexOx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rap is a method of vocalization. It's not a musical style. It's typically associated with hip-hop music but it's not exclusive to that style. The two terms often get used interchangeably. 


You sound white.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do the "not responsible for falling objects" signs on rock trucks mean anything? If shit flies out and fucks your shit up nothing you can do? Is a sign all it takes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5cf508e276f24b59ab30fd8db12841c2.jpg

0595157616887a1b4f3a53109a83e51c.jpg

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me those signs are about as effective at limiting liability as putting a sign on your car that says "stay out of my way when I'm drunk because I'm not responsible for damages"

 

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, haulers are 100% responsible if they lose any material that they are hauling.  If their truck tire kicks up a loose rock that was already just laying on the road, it's a different story.  

I'm pretty sure all of the broken windshields that I have ever had came from a loose piece of the road that a semi kicked up.  Most people that are tailing a gravel truck are going to assume that it fell off the truck whether it did or not and are going to have a hard time proving it, thus the sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do the "not responsible for falling objects" signs on rock trucks mean anything? If shit flies out and fucks your shit up nothing you can do? Is a sign all it takes?
Failure to secure load.

Better have a dash camera though to prove it.

But no, those signs mean nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2018 at 1:37 PM, Stoogey said:

No. Take them to court. They will pay damages because that's the law. The problem is proving that particular truck caused the damages. Luckily I have a dashboard camera. A stone took out an entire headlight assembly. Just the wiring harness remained. A little bit higher and inside and I'd have been a goner. 

 

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

Failure to secure load.

Better have a dash camera though to prove it.

But no, those signs mean nothing.

aYvUiHZU_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...