Unbelievable-but-true things

TexArcher

Eli fucking Manning started and won 2 fucking Super Bowls.... Eli. Fucking. Manning.

Tom Coughlin is IMO the most under-appreciated coach of the last 10 years. He won 11 games in 2016, the Giants turn him loose and then win 3 games last year.
  • Like 1

The photocopier at work had a sign on it for weeks that said: "Please don't make large numbers of copies at once. The machine overheats and jams if you do."

I placed a sign that said "A ten dollar fan blowing on the back of the copier would probably fix this problem."

Nothing was done. Time passes. I eventually buy and place a cheap desk fan behind the copier. Problem solved. Worked like a well oiled machine. Not a single jam for weeks.

Then one day we get a new photocopier. I asked the secretary about the fan. "Oh, was that your fan? We threw it away. Why did you put it behind the photocopier?" For a second I thought I was being trolled, but she was serious.

10 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The photocopier at work had a sign on it for weeks that said: "Please don't make large numbers of copies at once. The machine overheats and jams if you do."

I placed a sign that said "A ten dollar fan blowing on the back of the copier would probably fix this problem."

Nothing was done. Time passes. I eventually buy and place a cheap desk fan behind the copier. Problem solved. Worked like a well oiled machine. Not a single jam for weeks.

Then one day we get a new photocopier. I asked the secretary about the fan. "Oh, was that your fan? We threw it away. Why did you put it behind the photocopier?" For a second I thought I was being trolled, but she was serious.

McGuyver has always been underappreciated for his works.  You are, too.

• Like 1

Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

Gosh numbers are numbers that represent more than one quantity so that
when you perceive the coincidence you say Gosh. Some gosh numbers are
trivial. Some are of perhaps Transcendental importance. Some religious
people think they are proof of the existence of the Gods/esses. Some
gosh numbers are;
.5 degrees is the angular diameter of both the sun and the moon as seen
from earth. Gosh, how strange that they should be the same but also how
useful, because it is partly because of this coincidence that earth has
eclipses. Minus 40 degrees is the temperature which is the same in both
the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales. Gosh Ten to the 39th is a measure of
the weakness of the gravitational force as compared with the
electromagnetic. It is also the age of the universe expressed as a
dimensionless number. It is also the square root of the number of
particles in the observable universe, that is, that part of the universe
relative to earth in which Hubbles constant is less than .5. Gosh
Most gosh numbers are dimensionless because they are the same in any
units you measure. Infinity is also a dimensionless number, since you
will get the same value no matter what unit of measurement you use.
PS
This was taken from the works of Frederik Pohl

Seattle is further north than Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal. 

There is a land exclave called Point Roberts, Washington which is part of the Tsawwassen Penisula in Canada. The only way to access this American town without entering Canada is by boat (unless you have a helicopter I suppose).

There also exclaves in Minnesota and Vermont. To fix this, Trump should invade Canada.

11 hours ago, bmbmd said:

5 degrees is the angular diameter of both the sun and the moon as seen
from earth. 

How can this be true with elliptical orbits? The distances from earth to both of those bodies change every day and they appear larger and smaller.  Is that just an average or something? 

7 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

How can this be true with elliptical orbits? The distances from earth to both of those bodies change every day and they appear larger and smaller.  Is that just an average or something? 

They are not very elliptical. The earth ranges from 91 point something to 94 point something million miles from the sun. 

23 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

When you see a diagram in a textbook of the Earth's orbit, the elliptical nature of the orbit is greatly exaggerated. Otherwise, the orbit would look circular to the eye. The orbit is not a perfect circle, but its pretty close, too close to notice a difference in the size of the Sun or Moon.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

When you see a diagram in a textbook of the Earth's orbit, the elliptical nature of the orbit is greatly exaggerated. Otherwise, the orbit would look circular to the eye. The orbit is not a perfect circle, but its pretty close, too close to notice a difference in the size of the Sun or Moon.

Ok, but there are still plenty of times when you can look in the sky and see the moon is a lot larger than it is at other times. 

One of my favorite stories from my neuroscience class:

Guy had terrible bipolar depression. Battled it for years with meds and Drs. but nothing worked. One day it became to much and he took gun and put it to his temple and pulled the trigger. 

Incredibly not only does he survive, but the bullet fixes his brain and cures his Bipolar depression 

50 minutes ago, Chuychanga said:

Ok, but there are still plenty of times when you can look in the sky and see the moon is a lot larger than it is at other times. 

That's an optical illusion. They look bigger when they're closer to the horizon and you're viewing them next to trees, buildings, hills, etc. They look bigger by comparison.  When they're higher up in the sky you lose that frame of reference and they seem smaller. You can test this by holding a piece of string at arm's length and "measuring" the diameter of the moon at different heights in the sky. 

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

There is a land exclave called Point Roberts, Washington which is part of the Tsawwassen Penisula in Canada. The only way to access this American town without entering Canada is by boat (unless you have a helicopter I suppose).

There also exclaves in Minnesota and Vermont. To fix this, Trump should invade Canada.

Related to that treaty that created Point Roberts, during the boundary dispute the US and Britain almost went to war in 1859 over a dead pig.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That's an optical illusion. They look bigger when they're closer to the horizon and you're viewing them next to trees, buildings, hills, etc. They look bigger by comparison.  When they're higher up in the sky you lose that frame of reference and they seem smaller. You can test this by holding a piece of string at arm's length and "measuring" the diameter of the moon at different heights in the sky. 

or something with some markings on it for reference like a ruler or tape measure. 

• Haha 1