2022 NCAA Baseball News

torre

Clemson (11-0) swept SCar (7-4) this weekend.

We are playing the wrong team in SCar.    SCar (preseason #5 SEC East) appears to be another Alabama,  College of Charleston (7-4) and The Citadel (8-3) may be stronger challenge though midweek games.

Edited by torre

6 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Texas State beat Arizona again today.  That's going to be a pretty good Tuesday/Wednesday opponent.

Arizona’s 7-3 loss to Texas State on Sunday ended a streak that lasted nearly three years.

The Wildcats had won or tied 17 consecutive series (including the postseason) at Hi Corbett Field since dropping two of three against Cal from April 12-14, 2019.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, txduck87 said:

Ags go down to Wichita state 6-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was with some aggys this weekend and we had on the Texas-LSU game and they were like "is A&M even good this year in baseball?" and I was like "HA! No, but congrats on paying way too much for a coach and losing a series to Penn" 

Collegiate Baseball Newspaper continues to recognize real

Posted on 3/7/22 at 10:50 am
up vote4down vote3
bkm1.png
They had the baseVOLS #34 preseason. They quickly realized the error of their ways:

Rank Team (Record) Points PVS
1. Texas (11-1) 495 1
2. Vanderbilt (10-2) 492 4
3. Tennessee (10-1) 490 6
4. Oregon St. (9-1) 488 7
5. Stanford (8-3) 484 2
6. Louisiana St. (9-3) 482 3
7. Virginia (11-0) 481 12
8. Notre Dame (8-1) 479 9
9. Georgia Tech. (10-2) 476 10
10. Mississippi (10-1) 475 11
11. Georgia (9-2) 472 5
12. Liberty (10-1) 469 15
13. Florida (10-3) 467 16
14. North Carolina (11-1) 464 21
15. Gonzaga (8-2) 461 —
16. Oklahoma St. (6-4) 459 8
17. Texas St. (10-2) 457 —
18. Arizona (9-3) 454 14
19. Texas Tech. (10-2) 452 23
20. Arkansas (7-3) 450 20
21. Purdue (12-0) 447 —
22. Florida St. (7-4) 445 17
23. Miami, Fla. (8-3) 443 22
24. UCLA (8-4) 441 27
25. Old Dominion (9-1) 439 30
26. Tulane (10-2) 436 —
27. Connecticut (8-1) 434 —
28. Texas Christian (8-3) 431 18
29. Maryland (9-2) 429 19
30. U.C. Santa Barbara (7-4) 426 26

On 3/6/2022 at 4:02 PM, Wulaw Horn said:

My buddy just swept Villanova to go to 7-5 on the year. 
we are all Georgia state fans Tuesday as they take on our hated rival, the Wofford Terriers (w.u. tee hee) 

Glorious victory for the Panthers in hostile Spartanburg today. Big 4-1 win over Wofford.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fletch said:

@oSuJeff97 good lord dude the fuck is goin on up there?!?!?

I mean a lot of it is just shit luck with untimely hitting. We got swept by Gonzaga at home. All three games were 1-run games that could have gone either way. We were literally 3 hits away from sweeping that series instead of getting swept. That’s baseball, baby.

Josh’s teams always start kind of slow. And our non-conference schedule is good enough that the RPI should be very strong once we get our feet under ourselves.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I mean a lot of it is just shit luck with untimely hitting. We got swept by Gonzaga at home. All three games were 1-run games that could have gone either way. We were literally 3 hits away from sweeping that series instead of getting swept. That’s baseball, baby.

Josh’s teams always start kind of slow. And our non-conference schedule is good enough that the RPI should be very strong once we get our feet under ourselves.

Sounds about right. Y’all have been consistently inconsistent OOC and what seems like routinely a top 3-4 team in conference since Josh took over.
Got tickets to our Saturday game here in Austin. Gonna be an awesome series with a great atmosphere. You making it down here by any chance? Shit do you ever come down for okie state games in Austin?  

Edited by Fletch

33 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Sounds about right. Y’all have been consistently inconsistent OOC and what seems like routinely a top 3-4 team in conference since Josh took over.
Got tickets to our Saturday game here in Austin. Gonna be an awesome series with a great atmosphere. You making it down here by any chance? Shit do you ever come down for okie state games in Austin?  

Pre-pandemic I was down in Austin pretty regularly. I have several friends who live there, including my two best friends from OSU.

I never made it down for a baseball series, just because timing never worked out, but I think I made just about every OSU football game down there for 10+ years, plus lots of other trips for weddings, SXSW, ACL Live concerts at Moody, etc.

Now I've got a 1-year-old and another on the way so the road trips may dry up for a while, lol. 

Although Southwest just added a direct flight from Tulsa to Austin, so that will help the cause. :) 

• Hook 'Em 1

Well shit dude a few posters here and I going to the Saturday game. If you make your way down, hit us up. We’ll be the well dressed gentlemen in one of the boxes drinking martinis, eating fresh lobster from Maine and some porterhouse from Argentina surrounded by models

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Went down to Reckling today to catch the Sand Aggy / Mighty Owls game.  Really good pitching performance from both starters, Tech's starter threw 6 no-hit innings and Rice starter didn't give up any earned runs but they gave up two runs with the help of two stupid errors.  Defense has been shitty for the Owls so far this season.  Sand Aggie pulled it out with a run in the top of the 9th. 

Tech's bench showed its ass after the game was over and there was a bit of a fracas but nothing serious.  Hoping the leadoff batter for Tech catches one in his back on the first pitch tomorrow.  Fuck those assholes.

These two dudes won’t be in college baseball again. 

The University of San Francisco has fired baseball coach Nino Giarratano, who is accused of "persistent psychological abuse and repeated inappropriate sexual conduct" in a recent class-action lawsuit.

The school announced Giarratano's firing Sunday, two days after the lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court. USF previously had suspended Giarratano and former assistant coach Troy Nakamura, who also was named in the lawsuit. Nakamura was fired in January.

USF athletic director Joan McDermott cited "new allegations" from the lawsuit and also said in a statement that Giarratano allowed Nakamura on the field this past week.

"When the university first became aware of the complaints by students and families about the environment and behavior of coaches in the baseball program, we immediately conducted an internal investigation that led to the firing of Troy Nakamura and official reprimand of Nino Giarratano," McDermott said in a statement released by the school.

"The new allegations in the lawsuit as well as Giarratano's recent behavior in allowing Nakamura access to baseball operations is extremely concerning. As a result, we have taken actions to make changes in baseball program leadership."

The three former players, identified as John Does in the lawsuit, described varying forms of abuse and described a culture in which "it was 'normal' to see [former assistant coach Troy Nakamura] naked on the field or in a window, swinging his penis in a helicopter fashion while the entire team -- and [Giarratano] -- watched."

John Doe 1 alleges that Giarratano referred to him using several expletives and repeatedly berated him in an attempt to pressure him to leave the program (he had a significant four-year guaranteed scholarship). He entered the transfer portal in January.

John Doe 2 outlined a pattern of verbal and emotional abuse that resulted in five emergency room visits in the fall of 2021, which contributed to his decision to leave the program.

John Doe 3 said Giarratano told him he was a waste of space, that none of his teammates or coaches liked him and said, "I wish I could take my bat and hit your head as hard as I can and maybe I can get your brain to work," according to the lawsuit.

The lawsuit alleges the NCAA and USF breached their contractual obligations, as outlined in the NCAA Division I Manual, on numerous grounds, including a failure to "prohibit sexual harassment and/or sexual abuse of student-athletes by athletics department personnel."

The lawsuit also alleges multiple players have become suicidal as a result of Giarratano's and Nakamura's behavior, but it does not provide any additional context.

"The safety and well-being of our students is USF's highest priority," the Rev. Paul J. Fitzgerald, the university president, said Sunday in a statement. "We apologize to current and former students who have been affected. We have reopened our internal investigation, and encourage anyone with information to share their experiences with the Title IX office or to the anonymous whistleblower hotline."

Around the Nation:

Southern California, the blueblood baseball program that hasn't been much of a factor nationally for two decades, is showing signs of re-emerging.

The Trojans are coming off their first series win at UCLA since 2016 and are out to an 11-3 start, their best since the 2015 team opened with 12 straight wins.

“We probably haven’t earned the respect or had the respect we’re trying to earn, so when you come in and play a team that just came off a big series last week... We feel like we’re trying to earn respect and when we do stuff like that, we feel we’re getting it," third-year coach Jason Gill said.

UCLA entered the Pac-12 opening series ranked as high as No. 15 and had beaten then-No. 1 Texas a week earlier at an event in Houston.

The Trojans won 7-4 Friday and bounced back from a 2-1 loss Saturday to win 6-3 on Sunday. They made their first appearance of the season in the national rankings at No. 25 by Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball newspaper.

Rhylan Thomas and Tyresse Turner each had five hits in the series and Garret Guillemette had four hits, including a home run to stake the Trojans to an early 5-0 lead Sunday.

USC has held up despite being without No. 1 starting pitcher Isaac Esqueda for two weeks because of injury. Charlie Hurley allowed two runs over seven innings on Sunday, and relievers Carson Lambert and Matt Keating combined to allow three runs over seven innings in the series.

“Those are our go-to guys," Gill said, “and they know it and I think they enjoy the fact they’re going to get the ball.”

USC, which has won an NCAA-best 12 national championships but none since 1998, has struggled to regain its traction the past two decades.

The Trojans haven't been back to the College World Series since 2001 or won a conference title since 2002. Not counting the pandemic-shortened 2020 season, they haven't had a winning record since 2015, which also was the last time they've appeared in the NCAA Tournament.

They were picked eighth in the Pac-12 preseason poll and get no breather before a weekend home series against California. On Tuesday, they host Connecticut (11-2), which is coming off a series win at Pepperdine.

IN THE POLLS

The rankings are jumbled with Texas, which had been the consensus No. 1 team, losing four of its past six games, including two of three at South Carolina.

Mississippi (13-2) is No. 1 by D1Baseball.com, Notre Dame (11-1) by Baseball America and Vanderbilt (13-2) by Collegiate Baseball newspaper.

The Nos. 2 and 3 teams are Texas (13-4) and Arkansas (11-3) by D1Baseball, Ole Miss and Oregon State (11-2) by Baseball America and Tennessee (15-1) and Oregon State by Collegiate Baseball.

SWINGING SUSAC

Daniel Susac became the first Arizona player in 24 years to hit two home runs in an inning, going deep twice in a nine-run first in the Wildcats' 13-5, series-clinching win over California. Susac, an All-American last season, is batting .416 with three homers, 11 doubles and 23 RBIs in 16 games.

HALL BALL

Seton Hall pulled one of the surprises of the weekend with its 6-4 win at Florida on Sunday, the Pirates' first victory after 12 losses to start the season. The Pirates hadn't beaten a Power Five team since a 10-2 win over Illinois on Feb. 15, 2020.

THAT TOOK A WHILE

Charlotte played its longest game in terms of time elapsed in its 9-7, 12-inning loss to Appalachian State on Sunday. The game lasted 5 hours, 41 minutes.

The 49ers thought they had it won in the ninth on a play at the plate, but the umpire called obstruction on catcher Kaden Hopson and the tying run counted. Andrew Greckel drove in the go-ahead run for App State in the 12th.

NO MERCY MERCER

Mercer outscored Saint Peter's 54-4 in a three-game sweep and is off to the best start in program history at 15-1.

The Bears from the Southern Conference own wins over Florida State and Georgia Tech and will face a big challenge this week when they travel to South Florida, which made it to super regionals last season.

___

More college baseball coverage: https://apnews.com/hub/college-world-series

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/Trojans-try-to-recapture-glory-make-strides-17001443.php

On 3/11/2022 at 10:18 AM, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah it’s maddening but Josh seems to use non-con primarily as a way to let pitchers experience some pressure, tweak the lineup, try out a few DH options, and generally FAFO.  Tends to payoff during conference play and tournament time…seems Pierce does the same. 

What drives me insane is consistently shit “Aight imma launch this ball over dem mountains ya hear” swings instead of choking up and just putting the ball in play.  It’s been a problem for years, and we K an awful lot in key situations.  Lots of golf swings in the dirt.  

• Hook 'Em 1

My boy at Georgia State should have his first big win of the year. Up 6-1 at Clemson in the 9th inning. First win over a ranked team (previously 0-4). Runs his record to 11-6 overall. So 1-4 against major college ranked teams, 10-2 against everyone else. Not bad. Probably not good enough to get an at large. Sometimes the sunbelt is a multiple bid league sometimes not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

My boy at Georgia State should have his first big win of the year. Up 6-1 at Clemson in the 9th inning. First win over a ranked team (previously 0-4). Runs his record to 11-6 overall. So 1-4 against major college ranked teams, 10-2 against everyone else. Not bad. Probably not good enough to get an at large. Sometimes the sunbelt is a multiple bid league sometimes not. 

After reading your posts,  I read his bio on the website.    You are certainly correct when you said he has paid his dues.   He definitely loves the game.  Glad he is having success,  very well deserved.

• Hook 'Em 1

Ranked teams losing:

Louisville 16-11 over ND

WF 5 GT 3

Miami 11 Clemson 4

UGa 11 MSU 0  I think it's time to suck up and not rank the defending champs because they fucking suck.

Also:

aggy 4-4 in 9th at LSU

Oregon State leads ASU 20-0 in the 6th

Bobcats gave up 6 in the 1st, but scored 10 in innings 7-8 to win 13-7 over ArkState.