Solo: A Star Wars Story

Chewy's Hairy Horn

They're hoping it will force Kathleen Kennedy to be fired because she let Rian Johnson ruin their adult childhoods. Some are angry over Luke's role in TLJ. Some are angry that the Expanded Universe was wiped away when Disney bought Lucasfilm. Some are angry because they think she's pushing SJW-ish agendas with the new movies. 

A-holes-1.gif

I thought it was average at best. Very few of the jokes landed. Acting was mediocre. That dude didn't seem like Han at all to me. He had no edge. He seemed like a pussy-whipped beta. I'm not a very big Star Wars guy, but outside of the scenes of them flying the Falcon I thought it was pretty bad.

8 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I thought it was average at best. Very few of the jokes landed. Acting was mediocre. That dude didn't seem like Han at all to me. He had no edge. He seemed like a pussy-whipped beta. I'm not a very big Star Wars guy, but outside of the scenes of them flying the Falcon I thought it was pretty bad.

Yeah, I felt the same way. I thought just the opposite about the young version of Capt Kirk in the Star Trek movies. 

They're hoping it will force Kathleen Kennedy to be fired because she let Rian Johnson ruin their adult childhoods. Some are angry over Luke's role in TLJ. Some are angry that the Expanded Universe was wiped away when Disney bought Lucasfilm. Some are angry because they think she's pushing SJW-ish agendas with the new movies. 

It had a poor plot, was rife with plot holes, rode coattails, was unfunny and had too much fluff. Take Star Wars off the name and it would have bombed. That’s why a generation of funs are frustrated, because rational criticism of a franchise being Zach Snyder’d.
  • Like 1

Movie wasn't turrible, but it wasn't anything to write home about either.

Dude playing Han was average.  Gets overshadowed in the film about his character.

Chewy stuff was good.

Donald Glover was so-so as Lando. 

Emilia Clarke was so-so.

The fucking droid was Jar-Jar levels of awful.

Woody was good.

The meaning behind his last name was just about the dumbest shit ever.  Like worse than anything in TLJ. 

I’ve watched the cartoons and am a big Star Wars dork. My expectations were rock bottom for Solo after reading this thread and my TLJ hangover. I enjoyed it, but not as much as Rogue One. 

19 hours ago, mdmost said:

1. Yes

2. Don’t care, didn’t read EU growing up. 

3. Yes, SJW themes have been inserted in every movie since Disney took over. It’s an over reaction of “angry white dorks” to get worked up when minority portrayed characters take a larger role or a SJW issue pops up, but it has been nonstop since TFA and it doesn’t take a lifelong SW nerd to see there is an agenda.

4. The plot of TLJ was retarded.

13 hours ago, SpiralOut said:

The meaning behind his last name was just about the dumbest shit ever.  Like worse than anything in TLJ. 

That was in some of books.  IIRC, in the Empire Strikes Back picture book, while Luke is flying to Dagoba, he is wondering about Han's back story and thinks that his last name is an alias to show he's a loner. 

0015895_star_wars_the_empire_strikes_bac 

After TFA I was sure Fin would be a badass. Boy was I wrong. Did he fuck the directors daughter?  It’s should be considered racist just for what they did to his character. 

We’re cross-pollinating, but yeah. I was so disappointed he didn’t die at the end. Apparently they only kill off minor characters, like Han Solo and Luke Skywalker.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This guy is woke

https://web.archive.org/web/20180531162436/http://www.vulture.com/2018/05/solo-star-wars-story-l3-37-phoebe-waller-bridge.html

In Praise of L3-37, Solo’s Best Star Wars Addition
By 
Hunter Harris
@hunteryharris

Spoilers below for Solo: A Star Wars Story.

The last Disney character I was genuinely excited about was Tessa Thompson in Thor: Ragnarok. I walked out of the theater satisfied with the movie, sure, but legitimately happy about this booze-swilling warrior who rolled her eyes at Thor and palled around with the Hulk. But once again, a smile crept across my face when Solo: A Star Wars Story introduced us to L3-37, the droid character voiced by Phoebe Waller-Bridge. “Do you need anything?” her owner, Lando Calrissian asks her during Solo’s big, daring mission. “Equal rights,” she replies. (Her mind!) At long last, Star Wars has finally giving us the droid we’ve been looking for.

Lando gets all the Solo love — give him a spinoff, you say, this should’ve been his origin story, you protest! — and … fair. Donald Glover is suave, pulls off his facial hair, gets all the funny lines (he calls Chewy and Han “hairy and the boy!”). His Lando isn’t an impression or a new interpretation of the original trilogy character, but a natural extension of Billy Dee Williams. He wears capes and scarves and tacks on “baby” at the end of his requests, making him seem cool and cosmopolitan. But L3-37 is this movie’s saving grace. The female-identifying droid (Lando refers to her using “she” and “her” pronouns) is the best addition to the Star Wars universe since the Last Jedi’s sexual height differences, or whatever General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson) uses on his eyebrows (is it intergalactic Boy Brow he’s copped? Or just plain old castor oil?).

After a scam gone bad, Han, Chewie, and Qi’ra (Emilia Clarke) make their way through a seedy club, looking for a seasoned smuggler to help them steal coaxium. Lando gets a hero’s entrance, illuminated by a spacey chandelier as he holds court at the Sabacc table. After Lando’s win, he starts negotiating with Han and Qi’ra about coming on board their heist. Scamming, smuggling, price negotiations, blah blah blah. Offscreen, a voice: “No! Unacceptable!” The camera cuts to a lanky, long-limbed droid. “Stop exploiting droids!” This is L3-37, in all her glory! She’s post-woke Twitter, #resist, think-piece-slacktivism-bullshit. A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, L3 was a revolutionary. She’s a dime, top of the line, cute face, slim waist, with a big behind! She has taken up residence in my heart: Call me by L3 and I will you call you by 37!

In all honesty, I wasn’t entirely certain who Phoebe Waller-Bridge was before I sunk into my seat, prepared to see Solo. (I don’t watch a lot of TV because it takes too long, but that’s a whole other thing.) But Phoebe Waller-Bridge didn’t even know what a droid was before auditioning for Solo. (Basically: fuck your canon, dude!) L3 is a injection of fun into a decidedly dreary Star Wars installment. Where nearly everything else in this movie feels either borrowed or stale, L3 is incandescent. She’s not an updated version of something from the original trilogy or an improved version of something from the prequels; L3 is an entirely new, wholly fun infusion of stubborn genius. She’s bucks against the demands of Lando, her “organic overlord,” but also whispers her suspicions that he’s in love with her. The very serious Solo is better with this wacky love story! This phony romance between Qi’ra and Han has no gumption: there’s zero chemistry, low stakes, and we already know he’s meant for someone else. The idea that there’s a droid toying with Lando’s heart is a jolt of pure joy!

As the gang carries out their plan to steal coaxium from the planet Kessel, L3-37 goes a little rogue. My revolutionary queen frees all of the droids from slavery, and encourages them to fight back for their freedom. There should be a Drake song for the tinge of loss that one feels when L3 is blasted in the crossfire of the uprising she began. But, alas, Star Wars is gonna star war. This is Solo’s movie, and Alden Ehrenreich is reportedly signed up for two more. With any star justice, we’d get a stand-alone Lando prequel with plenty more L3 scenes to go around.

22 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

That was in some of books.  IIRC, in the Empire Strikes Back picture book, while Luke is flying to Dagoba, he is wondering about Han's back story and thinks that his last name is an alias to show he's a loner. 

0015895_star_wars_the_empire_strikes_bac 

See, that kind of works.  Because it's Luke musing about Han's last name while not definitively giving us an answer.  It isn't a damn Imperial recruiter going "Hmmm.  No family?  I guess we'll call you Solo!"

Usually good storytelling involves leaving things open to interpretation and not hitting it on the nose with a sledgehammer.  Just my .02 cents.

If that had happened in the prequels it would have been rightfully hammered, on the level of I don’t like sand. (Anakin is skydiving or space jumping or whatever) “why young man you are practically walking in the sky! Henceforth, you shall be called Anakin.... Skywalker!”.

1 hour ago, SpiralOut said:

See, that kind of works.  Because it's Luke musing about Han's last name while not definitively giving us an answer.  It isn't a damn Imperial recruiter going "Hmmm.  No family?  I guess we'll call you Solo!"

Usually good storytelling involves leaving things open to interpretation and not hitting it on the nose with a sledgehammer.  Just my .02 cents.

Basically we got an origin story for 1) Han's last name 2) his blaster 3) why he shoots first and 4) the Kessel run. This entire movie should be titled "on the nose".

Edited by ajax

7 hours ago, ajax said:

Basically we got an origin story for 1) Han's last name 2) his blaster 3) why he shoots first and 4) the Kessel run. This entire movie should be titled "on the nose".

5) How he met Chewbacca

6) How he met Lando

7) How he acquired the Millenium Falcon

damn that was a good and impactful week in the life of Han Solo!!!

Couple of my beefs...

1.  The Kessel Run.  weren't we told SW that he did it because of his superior navigation ability?   not some downloaded computer.   and Lando is the only one with this star map?

2.  Lady Proxima.   stupid just like Jabba.  super criminals that can't defend themselves. seem like aliens like that would be pretty easy to kill.  Han almost did in Solo by throwing a rock?

3. The Rebel leader.    Yep.   we have to cater to everyone so let's make it a girl.   and something ethnic at that.  Nevermind that she fought Beckett on the train like she was older and bigger.   Nah...  those are just plot holes that don't matter.

Overall I enjoyed it.  took the hooligans to a matinee and we walked out liking it.    but someone said above..   if this wasn't a SW movie it would be panned and tremendously so.   and I'm about sick of the crossover Nissan ads.

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Couple of my beefs...

1.  The Kessel Run.  weren't we told SW that he did it because of his superior navigation ability?   not some downloaded computer.   and Lando is the only one with this star map?

2.  Lady Proxima.   stupid just like Jabba.  super criminals that can't defend themselves. seem like aliens like that would be pretty easy to kill.  Han almost did in Solo by throwing a rock?

3. The Rebel leader.    Yep.   we have to cater to everyone so let's make it a girl.   and something ethnic at that.  Nevermind that she fought Beckett on the train like she was older and bigger.   Nah...  those are just plot holes that don't matter.

Overall I enjoyed it.  took the hooligans to a matinee and we walked out liking it.    but someone said above..   if this wasn't a SW movie it would be panned and tremendously so.   and I'm about sick of the crossover Nissan ads.

Your “beefs” are a joke and Exhibit A why if this wasn’t a SW movie, it would be lauded and not “panned” by these “beefs”

1. Has Solo is a notorious bullshiter. He literally makes shit up all the time. It’s part of his character to brag about shit using extreme hyperbole or outright lies. Yet you see this as some kind of plot hole where he claims to be a good navigator in SW but it turns out a robot was the reason. 

2.  Super Villains that kill everyone and everything but SOMEHOW the hero manages to defeat them. That’s pretty much every single movie ever. Remember when Luke somehow killed a 50 foot monster in Jabba’s lair? Totally believable. She could defend herself but LUCKILY the hero found her weakness. Just like LUCKILY Han Solo turned around in a fight and accidentally killed the most dangerous mercenary in the entire galaxy Bobba Fett

3. She wasn’t THE Rebel Leader. She was A rebel leader. It would be crazy if the entire Rebellion was lead by a woman right? The original Star Wars rebellion would be lead by a man right? Not Princess Leia. And they made her ETHNIC? Holy shit. If they want to have a non white person, they better be an Alien, right? 

Your opinions are bad and you should feel bad about them 

It's like bragging about how fast you are, by saying you cut through some back alleys to win a race. It doesn't make any sense, because Lucas didn't know what a parsec was in 1977.

Which is basically the entire premise of Han and Lando.

Lie cheat smuggle or steal.

So explaining that the Falcon is fast by lying And exaggerating is pretty spot on.

Even in Lucas’ wrong use of the term, it still fits Han.

It’d be like me saying my Challenger is fast, I made the Dallas to Beaumont run in less than 300 miles, if you round down.

This will always be an issue with a prequel movie where you know the outcome in advance. It's fitting or shoehorning a new explanation into an existing narrative and hoping it makes sense. It's why I don't really want an Obi Wan movie because you know how his story ends. 

The tie-ins and explanations in this movie worked better than the PT ones at least. I never once believed Obi Wan and Anakin were friends, that Anakin was a great pilot, or that he was a cunning warrior like I was sold in the first movie. In this movie, I believed that Han and Chewie built a friendship and saved each other. Hey let's go to Tatooine to begin a life of smuggling with Jabba worked better. The way Han won the Falcon and that Lando was a cheat fit better. Maybe I'm just easier to please in my advanced years.

Welp, it’s official. Solo is the first Star Wars Movie to bomb. 

After 2 weeks the move has made $156M and cost a staggering $250M to film. 

Probably shouldnt have fired the first directors after the movie was 3/4 shot. They practically made the entire movie twice

Edited by Doc Reeves

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Welp, it’s official. Solo is the first Star Wars Movie to bomb. 

After 2 weeks the move has made $156M and cost a staggering $250M to film. 

Probably shouldnt have fired the first directors after the movie was 3/4 shot. They practically made the entire movie twice

Don’t forget the 200+ million in Marketing. 

6 hours ago, Red Five said:

I’m guessing we won’t be seeing those Lando and Boba Fett movies anytime soon. Or the two Solo sequels.

Probably have to see what how the Obi-Wan movie goes..... I'd imagine Boba Fett would be in pre-production by then although there could be a long lag if it's only movie on the schedule.  I've seen a few things speculated about what they "learned" from the experience but I think everyone is scrambling to come up with answers.

1.  Need more ramp up time between movies, especially if you have a production plagued by issues.  6 month wasn't enough to not only overcome some of the bad word of mouth of the production issues, but it also allows more time for the universe to survive the "hangover effect" of the previous move which pissed off a large segment of the fanbase.  They're all denying it, but it's hard to ignore the damage TLJ has done to the franchise.  Also, now they have 18 months to lick their wounds between movies.  That's probably too long.  Why didn't they move Solo until Nov/Dec

2.  Better promotion.  This feels weird to say about a SW film but because of all the reshoots, the advertising schedule was hurried.  Basically the SB was the first time we saw a big TV spot.  They needed a bigger better trailer for Christmas, which they missed.  They didn't really start most of the major push until March Madness.  It probably wasn't marketing's fault.  The production delays didn't allow them much footage to cut together and promote.  Goes back to scheduling.  This is a Kennedy issue.

3.  Ensure the demand for the movie is there.  I think most wanted a Han movie but there was major trepidation if any actor could play the iconic role.  Do we really want a Boba Fett movie or did Lucas kill the character with the prequels?  If you do an Obi-Wan movie and have an actor who is universally appreciated in the role and who's age would viably work, don't get cute.  Don't piss off your fanbase by recasting.  Instead of Boba Fett, would a Knights of the Old Republic opening movie (for a trilogy) make more sense?  Maybe an Ashoka movie after?

Things they should have learned:

1.  Get rid of Kennedy.  Demote her.  Re-assign her.  Whatever.... who cares.  She has proven a poor steward and shouldn't be trusted.

2.  Delay the Rian Johnson trilogy.... maybe indefinitely.  His name is too toxic with the SW fanbase right now.

3.  Don't forget where you came from.   Don't let the past die.... embrace and integrate it better rather than shit on it.  Build on it rather than destroy it..... or simply don't go there.

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Red Five said:

I’m guessing we won’t be seeing those Lando and Boba Fett movies anytime soon. Or the two Solo sequels.

it's too bad, because i think they laid some solid framework for solo to go on having adventures. maybe it's recency bias, since i just saw it yesterday, but i really enjoyed myself. they did a fairly good job of making you like characters and then killing them. the table was set when rio died pretty early on, as well as val's death. rio's line "mom was right, dying alone is the worst" was particularly poignant for me.

i'm still a little puzzled by the big enfys nest reveal? am i supposed to know that face for some reason? i only just now found out that they were keeping the actress's identity secret for some reason? what am i missing?

1 hour ago, Patrick Bateman said:

3.  Ensure the demand for the movie is there.  I think most wanted a Han movie but there was major trepidation if any actor could play the iconic role.  Do we really want a Boba Fett movie or did Lucas kill the character with the prequels?  If you do an Obi-Wan movie and have an actor who is universally appreciated in the role and who's age would viably work, don't get cute.  Don't piss off your fanbase by recasting.  Instead of Boba Fett, would a Knights of the Old Republic opening movie (for a trilogy) make more sense?  Maybe an Ashoka movie after?

Boba Fett kid is 30 now, seems about the right age to do a buddy movie.

funny-pulp-fiction-parody-star-wars-wall

49 minutes ago, DougO said:

Rogue One was light years better than VII or VIII.

Rogue One was fairly tight on the subplots and the ending was neatly wrapped up, much like A New Hope.  VII/VIIII had too much going on, just like the prequels  Ending multiplier effect stuff from Red Letter Media reviews or whatever. 

Disney is not shitting themselves over Solo bombing, as IX should make up for it. 

Disney is shitting themselves over the idea that they have 1-2 Star Wars TV series planned to help launch their paid Disney-only streaming service (they own a chunk of Hulu) with Kathleen Kennedy in charge.